Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

55 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@terrytek did you see the new tesla rumors? Rwd with a 6 speed option

Wait, there's no way tesla would be putting a 6 speed in their cars. They're the ones that want full driverless experience, so they're very unlikely to do it. Plus, I have never seen an electric car with a manual, clearly because it doesn't seem necessary. all the power is at the low end of the powerband, so there's no need to shift to keep power in the band. i think those rumors are bust. rwd i can believe, i've heard it, but a manual is very unlikely.

unless you're talking a 6 speed automatic, but that's very unlikely too.

42 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I very much enjoy driving it. My dad thinks it's a nice looking car too, so it seems like he likes it. I'll have to see though, I just showed him the car on the dealer's website. Hopefully they don't sell it in the next couple days, they already sold the Focus I was also looking at.

Aw :( if those don't become available anymore, what about a mazda 3 of the same year? same driving characteristics of the 6 (i believe) in a car the size of the focus. plus maybe you can get more. but see if this 6 can be in your hands soon enough.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

@terrytek did you see the new tesla rumors? Rwd with a 6 speed option

Why though.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Why though.. 

I would assume to make it fun, but there's no point for an electric car. the powerband is the inverse of an ICE in most cases, it dies off at higher rpms. a geared transmission makes no sense.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

20 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I would assume to make it fun, but there's no point for an electric car. the powerband is the inverse of an ICE in most cases, it dies off at higher rpms. a geared transmission makes no sense.

The whole selling point of the electric motor for me is the single speed gearbox. Give me as much simplicity as possible in a future daily driver. 

Other manufacturers have tried multi speed gearboxes and they just blew up. 

1 minute ago, techswede said:

The whole selling point of the electric motor for me is the single speed gearbox. Give me as much simplicity as possible in a future daily driver. 

Other manufacturers have tried multi speed gearboxes and they just blew up. 

there never was a selling point for me with electric cars except really the instant torque. but everything else sucks. i'd still take my gasoline cars any day.

i remember honda tried a manual with the first gen insight, but that was a hybrid system, not full electric.

Between bills and having to help my girlfriend pay for her surgery ya Boi is in the red. Thankfully payday is Friday though. Still sucks I've got to live 3 days on $0

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

50 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Wait, there's no way tesla would be putting a 6 speed in their cars. They're the ones that want full driverless experience, so they're very unlikely to do it. Plus, I have never seen an electric car with a manual, clearly because it doesn't seem necessary. all the power is at the low end of the powerband, so there's no need to shift to keep power in the band. i think those rumors are bust. rwd i can believe, i've heard it, but a manual is very unlikely.

unless you're talking a 6 speed automatic, but that's very unlikely too.

Aw :( if those don't become available anymore, what about a mazda 3 of the same year? same driving characteristics of the 6 (i believe) in a car the size of the focus. plus maybe you can get more. but see if this 6 can be in your hands soon enough.

I did drive the 3. They had sold the 6 by the time I got there, so I test drove the 3 instead. Which I absolutely loved.

I'm actually going to a different dealership right now, they have a 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 that I'm going to test drive. If anything I can get a brand new Mazda 3 with a manual, my parents seem to be okay with the price since the car is brand new. Though I won't be getting the Touring model, just the Sport one with the steel wheels. If anything I'll get some nicer alloys to put on, that's the only main difference between that and the Touring.

53 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I did drive the 3. They had sold the 6 by the time I got there, so I test drove the 3 instead. Which I absolutely loved.

I'm actually going to a different dealership right now, they have a 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 that I'm going to test drive. If anything I can get a brand new Mazda 3 with a manual, my parents seem to be okay with the price since the car is brand new. Though I won't be getting the Touring model, just the Sport one with the steel wheels. If anything I'll get some nicer alloys to put on, that's the only main difference between that and the Touring.

I say try to see if you can afford the Speed3, since that's pretty darn sporty, and it being the last year, i'm sure they've worked out the kinks. But does the Sport trim still have the goodies like a touchscreen and power seats and whatnot or is it more basic?

Urgh.. New suspension is going to set me back $1500.. Them adjustable rears though...

Keeping my fingers crossed that i get the job... 

Then we have a 35mm drop kit at $500

Panhard bar and control arms $250

Poly bushings $350 

Engine mounts $55

Trans mount $75 

Diff gasket and fluid $100ish 

Brakes $Motherfucker

I've set my corvette plans back three years just so i can afford a real nice one. Maybe a C3.

In the meantime i might not touch the engine. But i'm going to make this sum'bitch handle.

1 hour ago, techswede said:

Urgh.. New suspension is going to set me back $1500.. Them adjustable rears though...

Poly bushings $350 

Engine mounts $55

Trans mount $75 

Brakes $Motherfucker

I've set my corvette plans back three years just so i can afford a real nice one. Maybe a C3.

In the meantime i might not touch the engine. But i'm going to make this sum'bitch handle.

what about coilovers? or is that already factored in and i'm just being stupid?

2 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Between bills and having to help my girlfriend pay for her surgery ya Boi is in the red. Thankfully payday is Friday though. Still sucks I've got to live 3 days on $0

pardon me if i'm wrong here, but i thought you guys split a while back? or maybe i just heard wrong?

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

I say try to see if you can afford the Speed3, since that's pretty darn sporty, and it being the last year, i'm sure they've worked out the kinks. But does the Sport trim still have the goodies like a touchscreen and power seats and whatnot or is it more basic?

OH MY GOD I LOVE THE SPEED3

It has all the bells and whistles, full nav, interior lighting, etc. It drives SO WELL and has so much POWER! I love hearing the turbo spool up. I told them I would come back on Saturday with my dad since he is cosigning with me, the Sales Manager said he should still have it, so I'm crossing my fingers. Only 40,000 miles too, and literally ALL of the service records are intact. Super excited, I hope I can get that.

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

OH MY GOD I LOVE THE SPEED3

It has all the bells and whistles, full nav, interior lighting, etc. It drives SO WELL and has so much POWER! I love hearing the turbo spool up. I told them I would come back on Saturday with my dad since he is cosigning with me, the Sales Manager said he should still have it, so I'm crossing my fingers. Only 40,000 miles too, and literally ALL of the service records are intact. Super excited, I hope I can get that.

Wow, sounds like a gem you got there. But you seriously didn't feel the massive torque steer these cars came with? But other than that, glad to hear you really like that car. I almost considered one at one point, but the cost of one, not to mention the fwd, kinda turned me off.

So Lightning Blue on the new Raptors looks amazing. The old ones are so much slower than I remember. And they turn really, really, really well.

2 hours ago, techswede said:

Watts Link pls

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

37 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Wow, sounds like a gem you got there. But you seriously didn't feel the massive torque steer these cars came with? But other than that, glad to hear you really like that car. I almost considered one at one point, but the cost of one, not to mention the fwd, kinda turned me off.

I didn't feel it. I felt the torque for sure, but no torque steer.

3 hours ago, techswede said:

Poly bushings $350 

Engine mounts $55

Trans mount $75 

Brakes $Motherfucker

My plans after the Saab is back alive tbh

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

what about coilovers? or is that already factored in and i'm just being stupid?

pardon me if i'm wrong here, but i thought you guys split a while back? or maybe i just heard wrong?

Nah just were going through a rough patch. But that happens when couples live together 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I didn't feel it. I felt the torque for sure, but no torque steer.

hmm, maybe they solved the insane torque steer the first generation solved. and you won't suffer heatsoak with the 2nd gen bc now it has a hood scoop. so really mazda had listened to people and they delivered. i would want one, but pricing is still too high.

26 minutes ago, terrytek said:

hmm, maybe they solved the insane torque steer the first generation solved. and you won't suffer heatsoak with the 2nd gen bc now it has a hood scoop. so really mazda had listened to people and they delivered. i would want one, but pricing is still too high.

I only started to experience heat soak on 90f+ days post tune. Never had torque steer issues either

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I only started to experience heat soak on 90f+ days post tune. Never had torque steer issues either

well i don't think mazda was thinking straight with the first gen mazdaspeed 3/6. they had the intercooler mounted right on top of the engine, where, when hot, it can heat soak easily because there's no airflow at all, since the hood had no scoop, thus many people converted to front mount. and torque steer was NOTORIOUS on first gen speed 3s, even when it had an lsd fitted, like it would jerk to one side violently when you ripped the gas. the mazdaspeed 6 didn't have much of an issue because it was awd and delivered some power to the rear wheels.

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

You need to rebudget your life. 

Here's a good starting point. Act like you make 3/4 (or even half) as much as you actually make. 

So when you get a check in; put 1/4-1/2 in a savings account and do not under any circumstances touch it. Learn to live on less than you make. This is gonna mean you're gonna have to spend time waiting for things instead of "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW!" but you'll learn a lot from it and grow stronger in your ability to make do in tough circumstances

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

You need to rebudget your life. 

Here's a good starting point. Act like you make 3/4 (or even half) as much as you actually make. 

So when you get a check in; put 1/4-1/2 in a savings account and do not under any circumstances touch it. Learn to live on less than you make. This is gonna mean you're gonna have to spend time waiting for things instead of "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW!" but you'll learn a lot from it and grow stronger in your ability to make do in tough circumstances

or just

yolo

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

49 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I want some Chick-fil-a right now..

gallery-1470434012-7025300923-e1869e29d8

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB