Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Car was made in 1981, been driven hard up to about 2 years before i bought it afaik. Rusted as fuck, so i guess the metal gave away instead of the thread. I was using a 6 foot pole on the end of the spanner xD

Well, why the long pole on the spanner?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Leverage. You ever try undoing a bolt that has been rusting for 30 years and building up crucified dirt, and youll know what i mean. They go off like gunshots if you end up actually undoing them.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Holden 6 (202 cubic inch), they are basically smaller chrysler 6 cylinders that were produced round the 1970's. Ill fuck around with the inlet manifold and see if i can find the leak. I took it off and stuffed around with it so that maybe the problem.

here is a neat way to check fuel mixture on older engines

640x360xspark-plug-lean-rich-optimal-640

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yeah, when i was removing the bolts i was so strong they just snapped xD

Damn, been there before :)

How the hell are bolts like that so weak? They should last years of abuse.

You would be amazed what you can do with leverage. I sheared an m14 class 12.9 bolt trying to unbolt a forklift rack at work. We are talking about a ~2meter breaker bar + a pipe extender and an impact socket. I soaked that shit in oil the day before and still those things were nearly impossible to remove. I ended up having to burn the remains of the sheared bolt out with an acetylene/o2 torch.

Edit: what the hell @Almercenary , I was just typing pretty much the same thing as you :lol:

Mean while I don't even have my drivers licence

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Torque

System: Thinkpad T460

The one labelled as lean looks ok to me.....

Pete

Damn, been there before :)

You would be amazed what you can do with leverage. I sheared an m14 class 12.9 bolt trying to unbolt a forklift rack at work. We are talking about a ~2meter breaker bar + a pipe extender and an impact socket. I soaked that shit in oil the day before and still those things were nearly impossible to remove. I ended up having to burn the remains of the sheared bolt out with an acetylene/o2 torch.

Edit: what the hell @Almercenary , I was just typing pretty much the same thing as you :lol:

Great minds think alike ahaha

Cheers. As far as i can tell ive ruled out mixture. Nothing really points to it. It could be the vacuum, but i doubt that either. I think it has to do with the emissions.

Anyone know what these are? Emissions shit i've never had to deal with before cos i usually only work on old cars. Soz for ipod quality.

post-42897-0-11919800-1428805055.jpg

And it sits here on engine.

post-42897-0-82298900-1428805058.jpg

And this, which sits on the opposing side to the spark plugs, and has hoses going from the carby to it. Top is broken

post-42897-0-67045300-1428805069.jpg

And heres my ride atm while im at it. Probably roadworthy xD

post-42897-0-23498800-1428805074.jpgpost-42897-0-83259800-1428805081.jpg

post-42897-0-59922700-1428805063.jpg

post-42897-0-57639000-1428805066.jpg

post-42897-0-86945200-1428805078.jpg

post-42897-0-11919800-1428805055.jpg

post-42897-0-82298900-1428805058.jpg

post-42897-0-59922700-1428805063.jpg

post-42897-0-57639000-1428805066.jpg

post-42897-0-67045300-1428805069.jpg

post-42897-0-23498800-1428805074.jpg

post-42897-0-86945200-1428805078.jpg

post-42897-0-83259800-1428805081.jpg

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

This is what happened because I decided to change the speakers behind the seat.

20150411_145529.jpg

20150411_154709.jpg

20150411_175927.jpg

Blarg

This is what happened because I decided to change the speakers behind the seat.

Got a bit carried away there, i see.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Got a bit carried away there, i see.

A little. decided if I was going to change the speakers I should change the speaker wires so they don't have a bunch of splices in them. then I decided if I am doing that I will update the radio so I have usb. that led to fixing the horrid rats nest of wires that were spliced everywhere under the dash so I could wire the new radio. then I decided to see about fixing one gauge in the dash. to get that I had to pull the whole dash out. have to get a new gauge tomorrow. Its been a long day.

Blarg

A little. decided if I was going to change the speakers I should change the speaker wires so they don't have a bunch of splices in them. then I decided if I am doing that I will update the radio so I have usb. that led to fixing the horrid rats nest of wires that were spliced everywhere under the dash so I could wire the new radio. then I decided to see about fixing one gauge in the dash. to get that I had to pull the whole dash out. have to get a new gauge tomorrow. Its been a long day.

That looks like a nice place to work. The WORST thing about radio installs or upgrades is having to work with previously done aftermarket installs...

Pain if it isn't done correctly the first time. 

I assume you gave it a good vacuum as well? I am exactly the same when I try to do something small and rather insignificant. 

System: Thinkpad T460

My dream car would probably be my dads car :

Its a 1996 Subaru legacy gtb (Japanese import) that we have now owned for 14 years :) it has rays campiagnoto ss7 wheels and coilovers (I can't remember the brand of them ) along with white line sway bars and strut braces .. Oh it also has a full turbo back exhaust :) sorry no pic I don't know how to upload them on mobile :(

That looks like a nice place to work. The WORST thing about radio installs or upgrades is having to work with previously done aftermarket installs...

Pain if it isn't done correctly the first time. 

I assume you gave it a good vacuum as well? I am exactly the same when I try to do something small and rather insignificant. 

Its my dads shop. Could use insulation in the walls for the winter and late nights but other that that. It is kinda full of stuff right now though.

There is so much wrong with this truck because of the previous owner. He changed the dash to a newer year to have the new slot style fuses instead of the glass tubes but he did such a bad job of it that it would have been better if he left it alone. Cutout for the radio is too big so the radio can just fall in the dash. Kinda fixed that temporarily but will probably become permanent. bunch of random 12v wires with loose ends just looking for a ground to short on and splices eveywhere. there was one wire that I think he spliced an extra length of wire into just because. the added length was maybe an inch (2.5cm for you other folks).

I did a vacuum before the seat went back in.

For now its sleep. Paintball in the morning.

Blarg

When I was checking whether my lovely riveted on stock speakers were broken I decided to rip everything plastic but the dash out of the car. 

Also my passenger side door was leaking water :/ 
Luckily my dad's Passat of similar vintage did the same thing so the fix was rather immediate.
The broken seal was chalky as fuck though. It seems like it has leaked for a while, but I hadn't really noticed.

Speaking of OEM alloys, I quite like the look of the wheels that could've come with my Bora. (I've got steelies with hubcaps)

DSC_2138.jpg
100_4037.jpg

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Speaking of OEM alloys, I quite like the look of the wheels that could've come with my Bora.

I can't complain.

2011-ford-f-150-2wd-supercrew-145-xlt-wh

I can't complain.

Not too bad, plus I love the white text.

Not too bad, plus I love the white text.

I don't have the Michelin tires, mine came with the Hankooks instead.

I don't have the Michelin tires, mine came with the Hankooks instead.

Well fuck.

Mine has some tyres in the back called Kleber. They sound chinese but are made in the UK. I've no idea about them.

Well fuck.

Mine has some tyres in the back called Kleber. They sound chinese but are made in the UK. I've no idea about them.

I personally like Hankook more, I know of a few people that have the Michelins and my Hankooks have done better driving over things like sharp rocks, so I'm pleased with them.

I do need to get the rotated though..

:lol:

'Twas a sad day

'Twas a sad day

Dont worry, super gramps to the rescue it seems

Personally not digging the choice, i rathered an older one.

I personally like Hankook more, I know of a few people that have the Michelins and my Hankooks have done better driving over things like sharp rocks, so I'm pleased with them.

I do need to get the rotated though..

I have no experience with truck tyres, but the hankook summer tyres for regular cars I have liked.

I really like the Nokian summer tires I have too.

The dick youtube, I just checked MCM channel it didn't have part 13 up.