Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

But it's a Weber carb, one of the finest carbs. i think.

The DGV is one of webers smaller carbs. For smaller engines.

Webers are good. But carbs are generally well built and thought out by the manufacturers since they've been around for so long.

So you can't really go too wrong if you buy a solex or stromberg instead

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I wonder what would happen if i put a bugatti W16 inside a 510. probably so much wheelspin from the power, unless there's a creative way to deliver all that power to 4 wheels.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Roadkill's kart on 'roids. Yours for only $17,995. 

That is a viper... without a body.

I dont even want to know why they did that. I just want it.

That supposed to be a Viper? Without the frame?

That is a ton of fun. Thats what that is.

Blarg

I wonder what would happen if i put a bugatti W16 inside a 510. probably so much wheelspin from the power, unless there's a creative way to deliver all that power to 4 wheels.

If you could afford a W16 you could probably afford the gearbox and axles as well. 

So shoehorning it into the back instead and shortening the axles to manageable lengths would probably be the simplest option.

Flooring it would probably tear the fabric of space and time though..

Front engine would be cool.. But not really possible. The size of one of those W16's is ridiculous

18kwm1rsd2x7zjpg.jpg

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Birthday in two days, im rather certain that my father has brought me a Porsche 911.................................hotwheels car ;)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If you could afford a W16 you could probably afford the gearbox and axles as well. 

So shoehorning it into the back instead and shortening the axles to manageable lengths would probably be the simplest option.

Flooring it would probably tear the fabric of space and time though..

Front engine would be cool.. But not really possible. The size of one of those W16's is ridiculous

18kwm1rsd2x7zjpg.jpg

Probably it has so much power that when it gets floored, the front wheels lift up near vertical, and being a light car, the car flies in the air  doing backflips. That's how I imagine it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My struts are done in my corolla... been bugging me. I want to replace them but they are so expensive :/

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My struts are done in my corolla... been bugging me. I want to replace them but they are so expensive :/

Even OEM struts? Expensive ones are usually like Tein, GReddy, HKS, etc. OEM struts shouldn't be more than 100 each, max.

Probably it has so much power that when it gets floored, the front wheels lift up near vertical, and being a light car, the car flies in the air  doing backflips. That's how I imagine it.

Oi, don't quote pictures. :P

Look at the price of mercedes OEM struts. You'll feel better about the price of toyota parts afterwards^^

Also Struts means Ostrich in swedish. So that always makes me chuckle a bit.

Oi, don't quote pictures. :P

Sorry, didn't see the picture until after i posted.

Look at the price of mercedes OEM struts. You'll feel better about the price of toyota parts afterwards^^

Also Struts means Ostrich in swedish. So that always makes me chuckle a bit.

I mean, for a 2002 Protege, a set of 4 costs less than 200 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Left-Right-Shock-Strut-Kit-Set-of-4-for-Mazda-Protege-Protege5-/310908487446?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3AProtege

Even OEM struts? Expensive ones are usually like Tein, GReddy, HKS, etc. OEM struts shouldn't be more than 100 each, max.

im looking at ~$500 for what I would want to do. And that is use some Tein H lowering springs and the kyb struts that are comparable to the ones from the corolla S. I mainly want to do this just for handling reasons, not for looks (hence not the S springs, too much of a drop, i dont want attention). Also strut boots.

Your general Monroe/kyb quick struts will actually cost me about the same (i had priced it at about $480 lol). So not worth it imo when I can get much better handling from the above. 

I would probably reuse the strut mounts from the old springs, as well as the spring seat and all that good stuff. 

just im a college student, and im not fond of throwing tons of money into a car that is only worth like $3K lol. I just like driving and I drive 250+ miles a week so I just want to have a decent suspension. but maybe I should cheap out on the shock absorbers and just get the good springs. Dont think itll make much of a difference. but idk

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

im looking at ~$500 for what I would want to do. And that is use some Tein H lowering springs and the kyb struts that are comparable to the ones from the corolla S. I mainly want to do this just for handling reasons, not for looks (hence not the S springs, too much of a drop, i dont want attention). Also strut boots.

Your general Monroe/kyb quick struts will actually cost me about the same (i had priced it at about $480 lol). So not worth it imo when I can get much better handling from the above. 

I would probably reuse the strut mounts from the old springs, as well as the spring seat and all that good stuff. 

just im a college student, and im not fond of throwing tons of money into a car that is only worth like $3K lol. I just like driving and I drive 250+ miles a week so I just want to have a decent suspension.

There's no way general struts for a freaking corolla would cost 480. I need proof.

Sorry, didn't see the picture until after i posted.

I mean, for a 2002 Protege, a set of 4 costs less than 200 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Left-Right-Shock-Strut-Kit-Set-of-4-for-Mazda-Protege-Protege5-/310908487446?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3AProtege

660 for a complete set of 190 sportline shocks..

There's no way general struts for a freaking corolla would cost 480. I need proof.

ive been looking at rockauto, all the people at toyotanation pointed me here because they are the only one that have the decent struts fpr my particular car..

but for example here is the KYB quick struts

post-15957-0-59851900-1428612336_thumb.p

the rebate is $40 off for a set of 4. And that is if the rebate even works lol, i think all rebates are scams xD

Spoiler

ive been looking at rockauto, all the people at toyotanation pointed me here because they are the only one that have the decent struts fpr my particular car..

but for example here is the KYB quick struts

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2015-04-09 15:44:31.png

the rebate is $40 off for a set of 4. And that is if the rebate even works lol, i think all rebates are scams xD

No wonder. IT's RockAuto. They rip you off.

maybe, but ive gotten stuff cheaper from them than local auto parts stores before. Also I use amazon, but I dont remember there being much for my car's suspension on amazon. 

Where you think I should find my struts lol?

Spoiler

RockAuto is fairly competitive on some things actually.

I found these but ive seen people complain about the brake line mounting on them. something about the hole being too small. But maybe a dremel can solve that if I need it..

edit: never put the link lol http://www.amazon.com/1181-SENSEN-Shocks-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B00HS0GDKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428613944&vehicle=2001-76-1013-269--1-8-5-8088-1828-1-1-1915--1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2001%3Atoyota%3Acorolla

It would certainly save me a lot of money. Id be paying more for the springs ($200 for tein H tech) than the struts xD

do you guys think the H tech will be good for what I want, just a bit better handling thanks to them being stiffer and the lower center of gravity? I dont want to draw attention with people saying "look this doofball he dropped his corolla" xD

If someone knows of some cheaper/comparable springs that would fit then let me know.

Spoiler

just im a college student, and im not fond of throwing tons of money into a car that is only worth like $3K lol. I just like driving and I drive 250+ miles a week so I just want to have a decent suspension. but maybe I should cheap out on the shock absorbers and just get the good springs. Dont think itll make much of a difference. but idk

If you still have the original strut mounts, you might want to get them swapped as well. The rubber part hardens and breaks over time.

Yes they can. The springs alone would already cost a few hundred. SR dampers aren't cheap as well.

Roadkill's kart on 'roids. Yours for only $17,995. 

-many snips-

someone .... made i out of a..... VIPER? I WANT ONE!! or at least want to drive one ...

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

maybe, but ive gotten stuff cheaper from them than local auto parts stores before. Also I use amazon, but I dont remember there being much for my car's suspension on amazon. 

Where you think I should find my struts lol?

RockAuto is alright, imo.

Here's a nice option to the SRs:

http://www.amazon.com/Koni-8610-1365Sport-Sport-Toyota-Corolla/dp/B000ED2L6E

RockAuto is alright, imo.

Here's a nice option to the SRs:

http://www.amazon.com/Koni-8610-1365Sport-Sport-Toyota-Corolla/dp/B000ED2L6E

thats too much money lol. I think ill just get the cheap sensen dampers (they are said to be overly-stiff anyways, which im fine with) with the tein H tech springs. 

The H tech are a 1.3in front drop, and a 0.8 inch rear drop

the s tech are a 1.9 front and a 1.4inch rear drop. 

I think the S tech will lower it too much, like I said I dont want attention. Is there anything else you know of, perhaps something cheaper?

Spoiler