Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I honestly like stanced cars a lot, more than ones with no camber at all. I think it just ups the cool factor

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think I just totally fell in love with this: http://www.stancenation.com/2014/01/14/refined-modesty-kenji-rhd-subaru-wrx-sti/. Turns out, the guy actually has it for sale on craigslist. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4965890384.html Though i admit, i'm not crazy for the stretched tires, though it's not as severe as most Hondas with overstretched tires.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well i guess i could lay out my cars. Have a 89' Acura Legend the daily driver, and then the heart of my car love 81' Pontiac Trans Am Turbo edition. (smokey&bandit 2). My dream car is a r35 any dayhttp://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Kraig_Hunter/media/acura_zps038galkr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0  http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Kraig_Hunter/media/293937_10150339720970353_973338186_n_zps4843989a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Can I have your Trans Am? It was my first dream car. I love Smokey and the Bandit.

Blarg

Why are used Subarus so expensive, like a 100k mile Subaru is the same price as a 50k Honda/Toyota, since when did it get so expensive? 

Why are used Subarus so expensive, like a 100k mile Subaru is the same price as a 50k Honda/Toyota, since when did it get so expensive? 

Because these are modified imports that took time and money to import from Japan, especially an RHD like this one.

Can I have your Trans Am? It was my first dream car. I love Smokey and the Bandit.

Hahaha I just started it really, About to tear down and throw a 350 in it. No turbo on the motor now due to bad keep up back in the day (who ever had the car before) still has  a 301 though. Slow.... haha

wow, even after16 hours, there's still no damn activity? shame.

How unreliable is a 2009 BMW 335i after 100k miles? It has a twin turbo engine, ya think the turbos will need to be replaced?

How unreliable is a 2009 BMW 335i after 100k miles? It has a twin turbo engine, ya think the turbos will need to be replaced?

How does a 6 year old car rack up that many miles? our 2010 corolla hasn't even hit 70k yet. but since when did a 335 come with a twin turbo engine anyway?

How does a 6 year old car rack up that many miles? our 2010 corolla hasn't even hit 70k yet. but since when did a 335 come with a twin turbo engine anyway?

IDK but some models came with a twin turbo 6 cylinder engine.

IDK but some models came with a twin turbo 6 cylinder engine.

idk, but the turbos i hope should last up to 150k if you take serious care of it.

idk, but the turbos i hope should last up to 150k if you take serious care of it.

I bet they'll die soon, all the kids who get this car abuse it....

Its not like I can afford to fix a BMW anyways lol.

BTW I just noticed on my Honda Accord it seems like the car is lifted higher in the back than in the front and the car tilts down. Looks stupidly retard. Anyway to change that cheaply?

I bet they'll die soon, all the kids who get this car abuse it....

Its not like I can afford to fix a BMW anyways lol.

BTW I just noticed on my Honda Accord it seems like the car is lifted higher in the back than in the front and the car tilts down. Looks stupidly retard. Anyway to change that cheaply?

Lowering springs?

Lowering springs?

Can you just change the springs and leave the OEM struts? I heard its like playing with death to remove and put those on...

Can you just change the springs and leave the OEM struts? I heard its like playing with death to remove and put those on...

Never done a lowering job before, but i plan to do it once i get a mazdaspeed6, but from what it looks like, it looks like it's impossible to actually remove the springs without removing the struts.

Never done a lowering job before, but i plan to do it once i get a mazdaspeed6, but from what it looks like, it looks like it's impossible to actually remove the springs without removing the struts.

Yeah you have to remove the struts first, and then removing the springs is like a disaster waiting to happen lol.

Yeah you have to remove the struts first, and then removing the springs is like a disaster waiting to happen lol.

Oh god, if that tension releases, you're done for. You're not gonna see tomorrow.

Oh god, if that tension releases, you're done for. You're not gonna see tomorrow.

Not worth it. :P

Not worth it. :P

Unless you get a spring compressor you know won't fail, or you do it far away from your face.

Unless you get a spring compressor you know won't fail, or you do it far away from your face.

well i mean if it slips, its going to slip upwards away from the spring seat as your loosening the bolt, so my suggestion is get a good pair of spring compressors, and always keep the top of the strut pointed away from you like a gun, also like a gun make sure it isnt pointed at anyone else. Make sure your hand is in a position that if the spring were to launch itself, your hand would be knocked the side rather than caught in it

Also for heavens sake only compress the spring until it is slightly loose. Dont compress it to the max, thats a terrible idea. Put as little load on the spring compressor/compressors as possible.

Ive seen people use two sets of spring compressors before for safety (4 individual compressors per spring) if you want to be extra sure they dont break. 

Good thing is though, other than the danger, its an easy-ish job xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So my sister went to Las Vegas for a friends birthday for a few days and left her car at my place because I am pretty close to the airport, cool. Before she left she mentioned that her brakes were making some "funny noises." I had some free time so I thought I would have a quick peek, I may have found the problem...

20150414_2119181_zps8xg7zv87.jpeg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So now, i wanna know the difference between a shock and a strut.

So my sister went to Las Vegas for a friends birthday for a few days and left her car at my place because I am pretty close to the airport, cool. Before she left she mentioned that her brakes were making some "funny noises." I had some free time so I thought I would have a quick peek, I may have found the problem...

Geez, holy fuck, i can't believe it. That's appalling.

So now, i wanna know the difference between a shock and a strut.

Geez, holy fuck, i can't believe it. That's appalling.

The caliper is fucked too. Looks like I know what I am going to be doing this weekend lol.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro