Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

my winter tires never came out of the bag this winter.

Never need winter tires living here.. might get a quarter inch of snow one day out of the year and that's it. Last two have been dry.

Speaking of tires, my SUV came with a set of Yokohama G902s. They had terrible traction for the first few thousand miles. Playing with tire pressures did not change things significantly. I was ready to swap them out for nicer tires, then they slowly improved over time. This is the first time that I've experienced this. The tires were not old (only a few months old based on the sidewall), so I don't know what caused this. I have purchased new cars and new tires in the past, and I have not experienced this sort of improvement in performance. My experience is that tires deteriorate in performance as they age.

I am thinking it is contact patch related. Could it be that the rubber was too fresh and needed to gas out to harden enough to provide stability to the tread blocks? Anyone here experienced the same with any tire?

Speaking of tires, my SUV came with a set of Yokohama G902s. They had terrible traction for the first few thousand miles. Playing with tire pressures did not change things significantly. I was ready to swap them out for nicer tires, then they slowly improved over time. This is the first time that I've experienced this. The tires were not old (only a few months old based on the sidewall), so I don't know what caused this. I have purchased new cars and new tires in the past, and I have not experienced this sort of improvement in performance. My experience is that tires deteriorate in performance as they age.

I am thinking it is contact patch related. Could it be that the rubber was too fresh and needed to gas out to harden enough to provide stability to the tread blocks? Anyone here experienced the same with any tire?

thats possible. could be that the tires had some harder rubber on the exterior and you wore down to better rubber. But i have never heard of that happening either.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

thats possible. could be that the tires had some harder rubber on the exterior and you wore down to better rubber. But i have never heard of that happening either.

Possible, as the heat from the vulcanizing process may have hardened the surface rubber. This weird experience makes me wonder if I should go with Yokohamas on my other car (Yokos are cheaper here than the other major brands).

My go to tire brands are Bridgestone and Michelin, though I have used quite a few other brands (Continental, BFG, Goodyear, etc.).

Possible, as the heat from the vulcanizing process may have hardened the surface rubber. This weird experience makes me wonder if I should go with Yokohamas on my other car (Yokos are cheaper here than the other major brands).

My go to tire brands are Bridgestone and Michelin, though I have used quite a few other brands (Continental, BFG, Goodyear, etc.).

That would probably be the cause. i have heard good things about yokohamas as a friend of mine swears by their r compound tires, but then again that is a whole different class of tire than what you are dealing with. Bridgestone and Micheline are really the top of the line brands and have some amazing tires. I have some Michelin pilotsport ps2's on my car and i can tell you they perform amazingly well on the street.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

That would probably be the cause. i have heard good things about yokohamas as a friend of mine swears by their r compound tires, but then again that is a whole different class of tire than what you are dealing with. Bridgestone and Micheline are really the top of the line brands and have some amazing tires. I have some Michelin pilotsport ps2's on my car and i can tell you they perform amazingly well on the street.

I used their Advan R compound tires in the 90s (A092R), but they wore too quickly for daily use. Michelins last very long for their treadwear rating, in my experience. Bridgestones are almost always progressive at the limits, which makes them confidence inspiring.

I used their Advan R compound tires in the 90s (A092R), but they wore too quickly for daily use. Michelins last very long for their treadwear rating, in my experience.

yeah, r compound tires dont last long on the street. Usually its not lack of tread that makes them wear out fast, its the number of heat cycles they go through. They are only good for so many heat cycles and once you pass the limit, they begin harden up and and traction becomes nonexistent haha. That mainly depends on if you really drive the car hard though.

yeah, r compound tires dont last long on the street. Usually its not lack of tread that makes them wear out fast, its the number of heat cycles they go through. They are only good for so many heat cycles and once you pass the limit, they begin harden up and and traction becomes nonexistent haha. That mainly depends on if you really drive the car hard though.

It is hard to drive a car hard enough in a congested city to get race compound tires up to temp. :) I only get to do that in the wee hours and when I get to visit the track. The amount of grip can be hard on bushings too (I used to bust them a lot).

found this picture. I WANT IT.

uC8Pr2e.jpg

I had a set of brand new Bridgestone blizzaks on my toyota hiace van. all seasons. The grip was soo poor that we nicknamed the thing the "drift van" after a year I got nokian tyres instead. I don't think the blizzaks would've fixed themselves at all

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

found this picture. I WANT IT.

-snips-

The epoxy won't melt from the heat..? Interesting..

I had a set of brand new Bridgestone blizzaks on my toyota hiace van. all seasons. The grip was soo poor that we nicknamed the thing the "drift van" after a year I got nokian tyres instead. I don't think the blizzaks would've fixed themselves at all

Yup, some tires are just bad. The G902s still drift in the wet if I keep traction control off, stay in RWD and go on a steep uphill slowly. Fortunately they stop better now (ABS does not actuate as much). Nokian makes great winter tires, from what I've heard.

I have not tried any of the Chinese brand tires because of their spotty reputation. I heard their big brands are doing a lot better now though.

Sooo.... who else doesn't like driving in rain because of the other drivers?

A lot of people slow down too much in the rain. Maybe some have bad tires or wipers, but the majority may just be overly cautious drivers.

Ricecars rarely go fast in the rain because they normally wear cheap summer tires that skittle over water puddles.

A lot of people slow down too much in the rain. Maybe some have bad tires, but the majority may just be overly cautious drivers.

There's a lot of people here that drive faster in the rain, the majority. And then the rest drive too slow. Imagine how that mixes..

There's a lot of people here that drive faster in the rain, the majority. And then the rest drive too slow. Imagine how that mixes..

We have so much congestion here that if a few people start to drive slow, everything just piles up.

Yup, some tires are just bad. The G902s still drift in the wet if I keep traction control off, stay in RWD and go on a steep uphill slowly. Fortunately they stop better now (ABS does not actuate as much). Nokian makes great winter tires, from what I've heard.

I have not tried any of the Chinese brand tires because of their spotty reputation. I heard their big brands are doing a lot better now though.

Nokian is a pretty good tyre manufacturer. I'm probably the only one in my family that doesn't have them on my car.

Going to try out the Hakka Black series on my next car since they are pretty reasonably priced.

The abs went crazy on my Hi-Ace.. Every single time i touched the brakes

+ the people that slow down to a crawl to turn in the rain. And those that creep slowy through roundabouts :/

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

+ the people that slow down to a crawl to turn in the rain. And those that creep slowy through roundabouts :/

So happy rotaries don't exist in El Paso except for only one I know of. People here barely know how they work.

So happy rotaries don't exist in El Paso except for only one I know of. People here barely know how they work.

here they somehow got the idea that if you just put a block of concrete in the middle of the interesection that you can call it a roundabout.

Blarg

Nokian is a pretty good tyre manufacturer. I'm probably the only one in my family that doesn't have them on my car.

Going to try out the Hakka Black series on my next car since they are pretty reasonably priced.

The abs went crazy on my Hi-Ace.. Every single time i touched the brakes

We don't get Nokian tires on retail here. The most common tires here are Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo (including Nitto). Second in line in popularity are Pirelli, Continental, Sumitomo (including Dunlop and Falken), Hankook and Kumho. There are a lot of decent tires from Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan as well that generally cost a little less. The cheapest tires are usually from China or India, but many distrust them because they are known to slip in the wet with little warning.

Ricers are known to go for the nicest rims and the cheapest tires, hence they generally drive slow in the wet. :P

We don't get Nokian tires on retail here. The most common tires here are Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo (including Nitto). Second in line in popularity are Pirelli, Continental, Sumitomo (including Dunlop and Falken), Hankook and Kumho. There are a lot of decent tires from Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan as well that generally cost a little less. The cheapest tires are usually from China or India, but many distrust them because they are known to slip in the wet with little warning.

Ricers are known to go for the nicest rims and the cheapest tires, hence they generally drive slow in the wet. :P

And then there are the stance guys that buy smaller tires than the rim. (Smaller dimensions are generally cheaper)

impp-1202-08-o+1975-toyota-celica+stretc

They usually slow waaay the hell down when it rains..

If the lip of your tire is flat against the rim.. You are doing it wrong

^^ pahahahaha

Tires sizes confuse me still. You go on tire rack or some other tire site and you only get one option, but people say you can put different sizes on the rims and make it work ok. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't like the look above either, it makes the tyre look unwell.

I get Nokias here, obviously. But the name Nokian bothers me slightly because it has the finnish possessive suffix on it, but the word is used like that in English too.

I was driving in some heavy-ish rain yesterday (after I had washed my car) and they dropped the speed limit to 100. I didn't feel like that was necessary, but maybe they know better. After all "Snow surprised drivers" is a common headline in fucking Finland every winter.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

^^ pahahahaha

Tires sizes confuse me still. You go on tire rack or some other tire site and you only get one option, but people say you can put different sizes on the rims and make it work ok. 

Well the option you get is usually the way the manufacturer intended it to fit. 

Personally i'll buy the rims where i can find a good deal. And then i bring them to a tire shop to check which will fit the rim in the nicest way.

For my next car i'll go in and i'll find a wheel+tire combo that is just right. Like this one

1305628726-63647000.jpg

Or a bit over like this 

kRaB3.jpg

Since it protects the rim a bit extra from curbing. (The owner of the car in the picture still seems to have managed to curb it...)

When the tire touches curb before the wheel.

The owner of my go-to tire shop has said that he will slap anyone that tries to get him to stretch tires more than this

continental-contisportcontact-5-2012.jpg

I don't like the look above either, it makes the tyre look unwell.

I get Nokias here, obviously. But the name Nokian bothers me slightly because it has the finnish possessive suffix on it, but the word is used like that in English too.

I wonder what the tyre wear is like in the pic i posted. The sidewall must be rock hard.

Speaking of nokians. You never really see those being stretched like that xD Mostly toyo,bridgestone or pirellis