Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I swear everyone on here drives a motherfucking Mercedes or Honda xD

Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda and Toyota here (in order of frequency)... 

I guess the Honda part would make me fall under your generalization.

Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda and Toyota here (in order of frequency)...

I guess the Honda part would make me fall under your generalization.

At the moment an Accord is all I can afford :P

And my dad is giving it to me for free, so that tells you how broke I am lol

At the moment an Accord is all I can afford :P

And my dad is giving it to me for free, so that tells you how broke I am lol

My dad's giving me his Protege until i can get my own car. At least it's the highest trim, with sunroof, 6 disc changer, and a 5 speed, no wimpy automatic.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My dad's giving me his Protege until i can get my own car. At least it's the highest trim, with sunroof, 6 disc changer, and a 5 speed, no wimpy automatic.

Lucky son of a gun....

Mine's a DX trim (base) with a 5 speed auto D:

Lucky son of a gun....

Mine's a DX trim (base) with a 5 speed auto D:

Wait, you have one? Does it have steelies? What about power windows? as long as it's 5 speed, and not 4. Minivans with 4 speed automatics should never exist.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The egr valve itself wasn't all that dirty looking.

But the pipe from the valve to the intake manifold had some significant chunks of carbonisation.

Didn't really change all that much. The CEL came up, but the ECU seemed to figure out that the valve is installed itself

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I could buy an entire car for that money...

or 8 of mine..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Wait, you have one? Does it have steelies? What about power windows? as long as it's 5 speed, and not 4. Minivans with 4 speed automatics should never exist.

Yeah stealies with caps though, first thing I want to change. Also its effing gold. Its a 5 speed. Power windows too.

This is what is looks like 

25781804-640.jpg

Yeah stealies with caps though, first thing I want to change. Also its effing gold. Its a 5 speed. Power windows too.

This is what is looks like 

Power windows? that's like rare on a dx trim. my minivan doesn't have it. piece of shit. 

Gold, that's actually the same color as mine, but i got 5 spoke 16s. Right now it's covered because the rear brakes make a terrible screeching noise.

Power windows? that's like rare on a dx trim. my minivan doesn't have it. piece of shit. 

Gold, that's actually the same color as mine, but i got 5 spoke 16s. Right now it's covered because the rear brakes make a terrible screeching noise.

I'll probably get better wheels, because I won't be getting a new car anything soon. 

I'll probably get better wheels, because I won't be getting a new car anything soon. 

No point wasting over 800 bucks on rims. Try these. http://www.allfactorywheels.com/products/2002%252d2003-Mazda-Prot%C3%A9g%C3%A9-16-64852.html?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKEAjwjKOpBRChjsTyicbFy3QSJADP1gTNdI3ecBatSPXc5d0DeYuEIsXKh8rfLgUyiXpc3cy0RhoCRF3w_wcBThese are the stock rims that came with mine.

He would be way better off with some OEM TSX wheels or something along those lines. And 17's would look about perfect IMO. 

But don't waste a lot of money just for some aesthetics. 

System: Thinkpad T460

He would be way better off with some OEM TSX wheels or something along those lines. And 17's would look about perfect IMO. 

But don't waste a lot of money just for some aesthetics. 

IDK. I think Acura rims would look out of place on a Protege. Maybe RX-8 rims?

IDK. I think Acura rims would look out of place on a Protege. Maybe RX-8 rims?

I was talking about the Accord

RX-8 wheels would look huge on a Protege. 16' would be the right size.

I was talking about the Accord

RX-8 wheels would look huge on a Protege. 16' would be the right size.

In that case, TSX rims would work well with it.  As for the Mazda, yeah, 18s seem a bit big.

In that case, TSX rims would work well with it.  As for the Mazda, yeah, 18s seem a bit big.

They probably won't even fit in the arches without major modification. 

I have not heard of crank windows on a 7th gen Accord. Even the cheapest ones have power windows.

Anyone know what the sign of to much air in the air fuel mixture is? My straight 6 is running rough as fuck, almost like its on 5 cylinders, and not sure if its to much air, or fuel. Carby motor that is. From my experience, its not to much fuel, cos running rich is usually fine.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Anyone know what the sign of to much air in the air fuel mixture is? My straight 6 is running rough as fuck, almost like its on 5 cylinders, and not sure if its to much air, or fuel. Carby motor that is. From my experience, its not to much fuel, cos running rich is usually fine.

What car? 9 times out of 10 a rough running motor is usually caused by a vacuum leak

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What car? 9 times out of 10 a rough running motor is usually caused by a vacuum leak

Holden 6 (202 cubic inch), they are basically smaller chrysler 6 cylinders that were produced round the 1970's. Ill fuck around with the inlet manifold and see if i can find the leak. I took it off and stuffed around with it so that maybe the problem.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Even tried to install springs with out a compressor? thats even more annoying.

Worst job ive done was taking the body off my car though. Bolts snapping left right and center and shit.

Yeah that doesn't sound like fun. You could probably get away with some c-clamps and some steel plates, but spring compressors are relatively cheap compared to lots of tools/equipment.

Aren't you supposed to remove those bolts before lifting the body?! :P

That's definitely a great place to start for most engines, unless of course it uses speed/density (manifold absolute pressure) for fuel delivery as opposed to a MAS metering system or a carburetor.

An engine from the 70's, however, certainly would not be equipped with a MAP sensor (pretty sure there isn't a way to mechanically control fueling like that, needs a computer that can see RPM/TPS values). I completely agree that checking for vacuum leaks is a great place to begin troubleshooting.

Yeah that doesn't sound like fun. You could probably get away with some c-clamps and some steel plates, but spring compressors are relatively cheap compared to lots of tools/equipment.

Aren't you supposed to remove those bolts before lifting the body?! :P

That's definitely a great place to start for most engines, unless of course it uses speed/density (manifold absolute pressure) for fuel delivery as opposed to a MAS metering system or a carburetor.

An engine from the 70's, however, certainly would not be equipped with a MAP sensor (pretty sure there isn't a way to mechanically control fueling like that, needs a computer that can see RPM/TPS values). I completely agree that checking for vacuum leaks is a great place to begin troubleshooting.

Yeah, when i was removing the bolts i was so strong they just snapped xD

I think i found the problem. One of the emissions (those pesky things that came in in the 80's) things that was on the inlet manifold had a thread that was fucked, so ill re thread and seal it and give it a blast.

Yeah, when i was removing the bolts i was so strong they just snapped xD

I think i found the problem. One of the emissions (those pesky things that came in in the 80's) things that was on the inlet manifold had a thread that was fucked, so ill re thread and seal it and give it a blast.

How the hell are bolts like that so weak? They should last years of abuse.

How the hell are bolts like that so weak? They should last years of abuse.

Car was made in 1981, been driven hard up to about 2 years before i bought it afaik. Rusted as fuck, so i guess the metal gave away instead of the thread. I was using a 6 foot pole on the end of the spanner xD