Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

The caliper is fucked too. Looks like I know what I am going to be doing this weekend lol.

Yeah, you're not the only one working on brakes. Our protege started making very harsh screeching noises, and now we gotta find out why. my dad thought it was too dangerous to drive with that noise, so he stopped driving it until we can get it fixed. and i think we're also gonna resurface the rotors since we didn't do so when we changed the pads last time.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, you're not the only one working on brakes. Our protege started making very harsh screeching noises, and now we gotta find out why. my dad thought it was too dangerous to drive with that noise, so he stopped driving it until we can get it fixed. and i think we're also gonna resurface the rotors since we didn't do so when we changed the pads last time.

I really dont mind working on brakes, but I hate brake fluid. I always get it all over myself somehow.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I really dont mind working on brakes, but I hate brake fluid. I always get it all over myself somehow.

And plus, it's really a 2 person job. I've never felt brake fluid before. Is it like sticky ish like honey, or slippery like oil?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sounds annoying to do a brake oil change. Two people have to work on it :P one has to pour while the other removes the excess? What is the purpose of this? To keep air out?

So now, i wanna know the difference between a shock and a strut.

This is what I am watching lol

And plus, it's really a 2 person job. I've never felt brake fluid before. Is it like sticky ish like honey, or slippery like oil?

Yeah bleeding the circuit by yourself is tricky. 

Its more like oil but not quite as slick. It has an almost indescribable texture to it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Sounds annoying to do a brake oil change. Two people have to work on it :P one has to pour while the other removes the excess? What is the purpose of this? To keep air out?

Yeah, because if you don't rid of the air, it will feel spongy and won't perform as well.

Its more like oil but not quite as slick. It has an almost indescribable texture to it. 

Huh, my dad always seems to get it on himself, and yet he never tells me how it feels.

This is what I am watching lol

I watched the air suspension segment of Goss' Garage.

That is the normal procedure, yeah. One person (dirty person) keeping fluid in the reservoir and cracking all of the bleeders. While the other person (clean person) actuates the brake pedal. The idea is to replace all of the hydraulic fluid without introducing any air. 

There are a few other ways to do it with one person, such as vacuum bleeders and pressure bleeders but most people just use the two person method. 

That is the normal procedure, yeah. One person (dirty person) keeping fluid in the reservoir and cracking all of the bleeders. While the other person (clean person) actuates the brake pedal. The idea is to replace all of the hydraulic fluid without introducing any air. 

There are a few other ways to do it with one person, such as vacuum bleeders and pressure bleeders but most people just use the two person method. 

Could it be dangerous if you get lots of air in the brake fluid line?

Then you can't tell how hard you're pressing the pedal. So in a sense, yes.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to apply any pressure to the brakes.

The systems work because brake fluid is non-compressible, so when you apply pressure on the brake pedal, you are moving a piston in your brake master cylinder that pushes fluid through your brake lines (think of a syringe) to your calipers. The calipers then have another set of pistons that move out and squeeze the brake rotors to slow the car down. But if you have too much air in the lines, that air will simply compress and there wont be enough pressure to actuate the pistons in the calipers to stop the car.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to apply any pressure to the brakes.

The systems work because brake fluid is non-compressible, so when you apply pressure on the brake pedal, you are moving a piston in your brake master cylinder that pushes fluid through your brake lines (think of a syringe) to your calipers. The calipers then have another set of pistons that move out and squeeze the brake rotors to slow the car down. But if you have too much air in the lines, that air will simply compress and there wont be enough pressure to actuate the pistons in the calipers to stop the car.

Thanks for that explanation, I actually understand now :D

attachicon.gif20150305_1a75446.jpg

mines the subaru on the left (Impreza L 2.2L)

and a sound test after installing the exhaust https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2g7p6vfz6as344/impreza%20exhaust.mp4?dl=0

Whos subaru is that on the right?

Whos subaru is that on the right?

a random guy I always park next to ;)  (it's a college parking lot)

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

a random guy I always park next to ;)  (it's a college parking lot)

And also, have you thought of repainting your hood? that seems faded, way past faded.

And also, have you thought of repainting your hood? that seems faded, way past faded.

It's not faded, it's sanded :P

I'm in the process of painting it at the moment

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

So now, i wanna know the difference between a shock and a strut.

A strut is a damper assembly that can support sideways loads. Most of the time the top of the strut is also used as a steering pivot.

The strut assembly contains a shock absorber cartridge, which is sometimes replaceable (often not).

Custom racing strut....

11078225_10153165627326380_8712231057824

Hoping for this one day, but flat white post-3187-0-19157500-1429071294_thumb.jp

idk, but the turbos i hope should last up to 150k if you take serious care of it.

Life varies widely, mostly depending on use. You can normally hear the bearing of a worn turbo. If in doubt, inspect for shaft play.

+ it soaks into everything

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

How does a 6 year old car rack up that many miles? our 2010 corolla hasn't even hit 70k yet. but since when did a 335 come with a twin turbo engine anyway?

Parents suby is 3 years old, its done 298532km which is bout 190k miles.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Idk, maybe cos ive done a lot with brakes on farm vehicles before, i find it pretty easy. I reckon its faster bleeding it with the "one person method... Just need some more brake fluid. And well as for getting it all over yourself, practice i guess lol.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Parents suby is 3 years old, its done 298532km which is bout 190k miles.

How does it rack up so many miles like that?