Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I'd really love to get a Prelude this year, but I'm not too sure about FWD in the midwest's winters. My mom's Impala (all season tires, not the best idea) has all sorts of issues with our winters with tons of snow and ice over night. What are your experiences with FWD and tons of snow and ice?

In tons? Not sure but I think the height would be the first limiting factor. FWDs are pretty good normally. My car was great when it was icy out, and I don't have traction control.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

They tend to do better than RWD cars actually.

don't really. my dad rented an rwd car one time and we took it to the snow. it did pretty well, even at extreme slopes.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So I've been running the Corksport rear motor mount in my Mazda for like 3 months now. Its less harsh, and the shifts are great... but my interior is still rattling apart especially at idle with the AC on. Fortunately the Mazda forums have figured out a new motor mount thanks to the Focus ST community. People are using the motor mount out of an electric focus with great results. Even guys that track STs say its as good as the racing mounts out there without the harshness. 

So yeah, if you have a Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed 3 gen 2, or Focus ST check this thread out. I know a few people here have some of those cars. You will need a new bolt if you are putting it on a Mazda. Gonna call the Ford dealer Monday.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

So this is something I just found.

ya i dont know if you can take a quote like that out of context i would like to see a statistic to back that up 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Those supports look a bit dainty for a functional wing though  :blink:

The wing is actually fastened on quite well. It's hard to see in that photo.

I like the Chaparral-esque style of wing. Also that LMP2 style shark fin that is obviously just the number plate, but Id like to think it gives some latteral stability during your mad skids. Also Jeremy Clarkson inspired matte black paint job for cost savings I presume?

LoL good to see you're having fun. Studded or no? 

This was my afternoon.

It's a sight to behold, that's for sure. lol

This car runs in street stud class, which is any studdable snow tire of your choice with spec studs added. 

Buddy just made it up here about an hour ago with his turbo chevette (about 10:30pm Saturday night). we'll be tuning it tomorrow (Sunday) morning to see if we can get it race-worthy for the races in the afternoon. :D

More pics and maybe some vids in-bound...

Looks like you had lots of fun too. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

So this is something I just found.

I keep seeing that everywhere. I'm 90% sure it's bullsh*t.

Also that picture clearly shows the 'smaller' car doing better. The crumple zone did its job just fine and the driver thus had more room to decelerate. This picture is playing off of people's ignorance. I saw a similar one with a civic and a pickup, and the civic was smashed until the truck started hitting the 'cabin', and then the truck immediately starting lifting off the ground like it hit a brick wall. I'd take a civic over a pickup in a car crash any day.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Are coil spring "rubbers" allowed in a SCCA stock AutoX class because I can't find anything about them in the rulebook lol

But if I can use them, I might get some for the rear of my car to stiffen up the rear end and maybe... Just maybe get a bit more rotation on the cheap.

Problem is finding spring rubber that won't lift my car, just want to use them to increase the spring rate.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

First ice race of the season today. Was great. Got to hoon this thing around the track. :D

IMG_20160123_084557_zpspnvfqu3m.jpg

All I have to say is;

NICE.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Are coil spring "rubbers" allowed in a SCCA stock AutoX class because I can't find anything about them in the rulebook lol

But if I can use them, I might get some for the rear of my car to stiffen up the rear end and maybe... Just maybe get a bit more rotation on the cheap.

Problem is finding spring rubber that won't lift my car, just want to use them to increase the spring rate.

What are coil spring "rubbers"?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I wouldnt. I want a big hunk of metal in front of me. More shit in front, of you - more mass to get through to get to me. Very unscientific, but same reason I roll around with a reciever hitch behind me. Getting rear ended might have a higher presentage of getting whiplash, but youre going to have a hell of a time trying to get through that hitch, through the bed, and to the cab to get to me. And I'll be able to drive away from the accident. 

I'm no engineer or anything, but I imagine the g-forces of impact diminish in a car the faster you go thanks to the crumple zones. That should aid in the survivability of high speed impacts over a truck.

Yes, but youre more likly to get in a low speed accident than a high speed one. Like in stop and go traffic or at a light. Low speed survivability goes up and high speed goes down.

Yeah, my point is at high speeds your survivabilty goes down vs in a car (high speeds being 45mph+, past 60mph you're going to have a hard time surviving in anything)

What are coil spring "rubbers"?

They are inserts that you put in between the coils of a spring to reduce the amount of travel the spring has, thus increasing the spring rate.

d46ab8ca15e1b7b70ae92673ef348523.jpg

Spoiler

They are inserts that you put in between the coils of a spring to reduce the amount of travel the spring has, thus increasing the spring rate.

d46ab8ca15e1b7b70ae92673ef348523.jpg

Interesting.. I've never heard of those. They are probably free though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Yeah, my point is at high speeds your survivabilty goes down vs in a car (high speeds being 45mph+, past 60mph you're going to have a hard time surviving in anything)

I actually wonder how many people are killed or injured in accidents for not sitting properly in their cars. so many people around here sit in weird positions, like my mom (and I tell her about it sometimes... But it's just her habit) sits super close to the steering wheel (like stomach is 2 inches away from the airbag... Can't be safe) some people sit with crazy seat reclines, generally no one sits in the "proper" way where they close enough able to depress the brake pedal fully and have their arms slightly bent when they grab the top of the wheel. Also some people sit with the seatbelt over their stomach and not their waistline, which I imagine can cause internal organ damage in a crash.

This is just a thought that has always bugged me because no one talks about it being a factor

Spoiler

Interesting.. I've never heard of those. They are probably free though.

They actually can be pretty expensive ($20 a piece for some of them!) Trying to think of a cheaper alternative right now but I haven't come up with anything

Spoiler

I actually wonder how many people are killed or injured in accidents for not sitting properly in their cars. so many people around here sit in weird positions, like my mom (and I tell her about it sometimes... But it's just her habit) sits super close to the steering wheel (like stomach is 2 inches away from the airbag... Can't be safe) some people sit with crazy seat reclines, generally no one sits in the "proper" way where they close enough able to depress the brake pedal fully and have their arms slightly bent when they grab the top of the wheel. Also some people sit with the seatbelt over their stomach and not their waistline, which I imagine can cause internal organ damage in a crash.

This is just a thought that has always bugged me because no one talks about it being a factor

I imagine it is a factor. Especially sitting too close. Fortunately modern steering wheel air bags are pretty small now. Just gotta hope shrapnel doesn't hit you from the Chinese air bag. Seat belt location isn't huge for the waist I don't think. The shoulder part does the most for holding you when you get hit in the front. The only accident I've been in I remember my shoulder area hurting a lot more because of the seatbelt. 

This massive drift, tho.

IeBxJ2c.gif

Thinking outside of the box. Though, normally those boots cover up the middle of the wheel.

~~

Thats expected of Daigo Saito... the man can drift anything.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

but really i can't stand halogen lights. they have sucky range and they don't look cool. besides i think sylvania HIDs are probably the best bang for buck lights you'll get.

xenons make alot of electrical noise. Both my cb and ham radios go apeshit whenever i pass a car with xenon ligths. (Old cars ftw, less electronic noise and no electronics that gets fried when you transmit with a high wattage)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

The wing is actually fastened on quite well. It's hard to see in that photo.

Well. Since it's still on the car after a race i'll say it might be on there well enough  :lol:

In the picture they just look like they are about half an inch thick. But i'll take your word for it

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Trail drivers are crazy. Those who don't know the rules of it, they are timed, and placing down your foot will deduct points.

This is just nuts: Lifted Jeep, lots of snow and a snowboard

i am 90% sure thats 100% illegal also his board would be completely destroyed after doing something like that. but i was thinking of commuting to school using the sidewalks and strapping one of those paragliding engines to my back that would be a lot of fun 

gary_paramotor.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Funny thing. I was discussing CarPlay/android auto on ars technica. The odd thing is they didn't like people like me objecting to it on being an immature, over priced, high chance of not working in two years, and safety hazard as it stands now.

I want see a more mature version...in a self driving car.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory