Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

29 minutes ago, Levent said:

This car is now a collectible as BMW decided to shit on 1 series by making them Minis. Lovely car sir, I always wanted one of these (and I still do). Do I also see a GR Yaris parked next to this beauty?

Thanks you very much. Indeed, in the time I’ve owned it it’s only lost about £1k in value. Which is beyond impressive, time will tell how much of that is the current car market vs collectibility of the car though. Will be interesting to see what BMW does with the inevitable new gen m140i. They seem rather set on this x-drive nonsense though 😕 

Unfortunately not, that’s just a Seat Ibiza fr. I had the pleasure of driving a friends Gr Yaris a few months back and wow. I’m not a big fan of awd in general but that thing is something very special, not £35k special but still fantastic fun. 

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

He didn’t run it out of oil at least? Cause that would suck 1000 miles later….

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hello.

I have made lots of progress on my 1927 model T

20220604_130105.thumb.jpg.6695e3b8456db0ccd3ecae6afefd2bc8.jpg

Here's the first time start. 

I'm so happy.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

3 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

Hello.

I have made lots of progress on my 1927 model T

Here's the first time start. 

I'm so happy.

That's great man! I'm glad you got it working, now onto assembling the rest :old-laugh:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

He didn’t run it out of oil at least? Cause that would suck 1000 miles later….

Took 4qt to full, it was a tow in. Didn't look up the oil capacity of a Ford V10 yet.

21 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Huh I didn't even know the forum had a car sub. 

This is my 2017 BMW M140i, has a fairly extensive list of mods which il try and remember 

Visual 

- Aftermarket rear diffuser 

-M Style mirror caps

- Front air surrenders painted

- Black kidney grills 

Performance 

- Litchfield Stage 1 tune (Running 438hp wheel if I remember correctly and somewhere around 420 lbft of torque)

- XHP stage 3 gearbox map (Auto zf8)

- Quiff LSD 

- Motec lowering + stance kit 

- Powerflex rear bushings

and a few other little things I cant remember, I've owned it for about 2 and half years now. Looking to move on soon, a manual M2 CS has caught my eye big style, but here in the UK they're trading for at least £80k which is significantly more than I've ever spent on a car and quite a scary amount to tie up in one honestly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.315603a4d9a9f941ef5b3b9c95ac18df.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e3f8cdfecd5e283f5c3757be61d81fc.jpeg

M lite friend!

My 460hp M240i

70B48338-853E-41F4-AEE0-DDAEF1436ABB.jpeg

A0531B8E-6048-493A-A7E0-61537948D2B7.jpeg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

22 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

M lite friend!

My 460hp M240i

Truthy I wish I'd gone with a m240i. I never drove one and just assumed its identical to my 140i but coupe style. Drove one a few months into owning my 140 and was surprised and how much better it felt in the corners. Before I did anything to my car it felt very loose in the corners. Also the massive b pillars of a 5 door hatchback are annoying. 

Aside from the remap have you done anything else? Exterior looks stock, but curious if you're able to put down 460hp without some suspension/ diff mods. 

3 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Truthy I wish I'd gone with a m240i. I never drove one and just assumed its identical to my 140i but coupe style. Drove one a few months into owning my 140 and was surprised and how much better it felt in the corners. Before I did anything to my car it felt very loose in the corners. Also the massive b pillars of a 5 door hatchback are annoying. 

Aside from the remap have you done anything else? Exterior looks stock, but curious if you're able to put down 460hp without some suspension/ diff mods. 

Just uprated pads all round so it stops a lot better, still open diff (for now.) Hoping in the long run for it to end up as a sort of Clubsport spec fast road/track car but its a very good package out the box

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

On 6/16/2022 at 6:42 AM, Bitter said:

Are you actually turning them on or are you driving around on the DRL? I see a lot of Honda at night on DRL.

I turn them on, they are no brighter than the running lights tho.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, TVwazhere said:

Ima just leave this here. Wish I could implement something similar in my Focus but alas. 

image.png.726a9452ac9125082da704dc49f13ae4.png

Theodore Gray and a block of michmetal in the tow hitch = mayhem

Dude, This is why I love Toyota. Other guys like Toyota because of the Supra, 2JZ, etc. I love Toyota, because they never die. (NGL, a 1UZ do be lookin' hot tho...) They are the true beater cars. The day Toyota pulls a "US manufacturer" (basically cutting quality and costs now for profit now, ignoring longevity and reputation in the future), is the day the world ends. 

I hear stories of how my mother got a GMC Jimmy for $500, and ran it until it died a few years later, or older people telling me about their 80s beater they bought for $500 lasted them 9 years and 300000 miles, but, those stories are dying off, as far as I can tell. And, all the old cars that do last are crazy expensive for what they are because of the Internet. People find out what their car is "really" worth, and honestly it's annoying. When I first started my search for a vehicle, I wanted a 1999 Toyota Tundra, or something along those lines. Turns out, they have a cult following. I just wanted a small pickup that was reliable, but reliability is so rare that it jacks the price of older vehicles sky high (for 400K miles, that is)...

6 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Dude, This is why I love Toyota. Other guys like Toyota because of the Supra, 2JZ, etc. I love Toyota, because they never die. (NGL, a 1UZ do be lookin' hot tho...) They are the true beater cars. The day Toyota pulls a "US manufacturer" (basically cutting quality and costs now for profit now, ignoring longevity and reputation in the future), is the day the world ends. 

I hear stories of how my mother got a GMC Jimmy for $500, and ran it until it died a few years later, or older people telling me about their 80s beater they bought for $500 lasted them 9 years and 300000 miles, but, those stories are dying off, as far as I can tell. And, all the old cars that do last are crazy expensive for what they are because of the Internet. People find out what their car is "really" worth, and honestly it's annoying. When I first started my search for a vehicle, I wanted a 1999 Toyota Tundra, or something along those lines. Turns out, they have a cult following. I just wanted a small pickup that was reliable, but reliability is so rare that it jacks the price of older vehicles sky high (for 400K miles, that is)...

Cash for clunkers destroyed the used vehicle market.  CCP virus made it worse.  Brandon poured fuel on the fire.

15 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I turn them on, they are no brighter than the running lights tho.

Check voltage at the bulbs when on, get fresh bulbs. Lumens drop from voltage drop if there's a bad ground or something can be considerable. Want like no more than 1 volt drop vs battery voltage iirc. Lumens drop from age can also be like 30% before they burn out. Make sure the bulbs are actually in straight not crooked, the reflector isn't damaged, lenses clear, etc.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, TVwazhere said:

Ima just leave this here. Wish I could implement something similar in my Focus but alas. 

Okay, I can't be the only one annoyed at people who use high beams or have  ridiculously bright lights | ResetEra

You can use your rear fog light to have a similar, albeit more sublte effect.

This hasn't been a problem for me ever since i got my Audi which has auto-dimming rear view mirrors. That's one of these features i never knew i needed, kinda like ACC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

45 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

This hasn't been a problem for me ever since i got my Audi which has auto-dimming rear view mirrors. That's one of these features i never knew i needed, kinda like ACC.

+1 on the auto dimming mirrors

6 hours ago, IPD said:

Cash for clunkers destroyed the used vehicle market.  CCP virus made it worse.  Brandon poured fuel on the fire.

lol? what?

10 hours ago, IPD said:

CCP virus made it worse. 

donald-trump-trump-china.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

The auto dimming feature works on one of my mirrors on my touareg (the only thing wrong with the car is the right mirror electrics lol).

and I have to say I never owned a car with auto dimming mirrors and it’s AMAZING, so happy the drivers side one works 😂 even though it’ll prob break too one day, lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

lol? what?

Idk? Did someone say something? 

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The auto dimming feature works on one of my mirrors on my touareg (the only thing wrong with the car is the right mirror electrics lol).

and I have to say I never owned a car with auto dimming mirrors and it’s AMAZING, so happy the drivers side one works 😂 even though it’ll prob break too one day, lol

Genuinely my favorite automotive feature ever.

Drove a 2016 Civic today, nice car but yeah that CVT sucks over like 30mph and it's slow from a stop with the pedal down, speeding from 40 to 50 was pretty slow too. Otherwise nice car to drive, I liked the seats.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Many cars only have auto dimming mirrors on the driver side, so the other one might not be broken. It might just be a normal mirror.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Genuinely my favorite automotive feature ever.

When I was testing the X5 it was one of those features that I hadn't experienced before but suddenly became a must have. Was surprised the Passport had that as well. My civic had an auto dimming review mirror, but that thing was useless. Hardly ever worked, plus the side mirrors just blinded you anyway if it did work. The one in my Durango from 98 worked way better.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 hours ago, vetali said:

When I was testing the X5 it was one of those features that I hadn't experienced before but suddenly became a must have. Was surprised the Passport had that as well. My civic had an auto dimming review mirror, but that thing was useless. Hardly ever worked, plus the side mirrors just blinded you anyway if it did work. The one in my Durango from 98 worked way better.

I honestly forget about it so much that whenever I have to drive a vehicle that doesn't have it, I'm immediately shocked at how much more light I'm seeing. Should definitely be a requirement instead of having vehicles using Chernobyl for headlights, for practicality and safety.