Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

SawZalls are one of the best inventions

Air hammer.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Had a GM product with a large leak code once. Turns out it was a purge valve NOT flowing. Some idiots programmed the code logic wrong so when it commanded purge but saw no drop in tank pressure or tank vacuum it threw a large leak code because what other possible problem could it but a large leak? I've ran into this before with Toyota throwing O2 codes on bad thermostats because of lack of switching because its in cold enrichment.

Yeah, some part of me wonders if its messed up logic or a solenoid. I just don't see many faulty solenoids on newer Hondas, which use a much simpler evap system than the older ones. Its pretty much the same design as the GM ones with a CVS and CPV, canister, then a filter. Turbo CRVs and I think Accords use a leak detection pump like Chrysler. Civics are different.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Just now, Bitter said:

Air hammer

Fair, thats why I said one of the _____

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

42 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've ran into this before with Toyota throwing O2 codes on bad thermostats because of lack of switching because its in cold enrichment.

That reminded me of the BS P0420(I think) (cat efficiency) code on the Toyotas. The catalytic converters were fine, still 90% good, and the PCM just needed a reflash (I have not done it). I do not think a lot of independent shops would have known about this at the time and would probably just replace the cats, also because not a lot of shops had the equipment to do PCM updates/flashes, but the dealers did.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

54 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Air hammer.

I got an air hammer not too long ago and I can't believe I ever got by without one.

43 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

That reminded me of the BS P0420(I think) (cat efficiency) code on the Toyotas. The catalytic converters were fine, still 90% good, and the PCM just needed a reflash (I have not done it). I do not think a lot of independent shops would have known about this at the time and would probably just replace the cats, also because not a lot of shops had the equipment to do PCM updates/flashes, but the dealers did.

Most independent shops have access to TSBs. Most can't reprogram unless they are equipped. Honda used to allow you to reprogram as long as you had a passthru device. I am not sure about now, especially in the new Civics that require a ECU key. Some manufacturers charge on a per vin basis, others you pay an insane amount for access for everything. Hopefully right to repair changes that.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Yeah, some part of me wonders if its messed up logic or a solenoid. I just don't see many faulty solenoids on newer Hondas, which use a much simpler evap system than the older ones. Its pretty much the same design as the GM ones with a CVS and CPV, canister, then a filter. Turbo CRVs and I think Accords use a leak detection pump like Chrysler. Civics are different.

Fuck those old LDP's with the switching vacuum and spring diaphragm. Also fuck that NVLD system they have now. Really fuck that NVLD. The little switch weights never diagnose right and it's almost always a guess.

Granted I do use vapor pressure as a quick leak diag, pinch the system closed (or command it closed), put on the scanner on tank pressure graph and go do something else for a bit, make sure pressure rises. No pressure rise means you have a leak. It's very sensitive to seeing you have a small leak there somewhere. Great way to verify a repair or confirm the problem is present before going through all the testing. You might give that a shot to look for tiny leaks, you get accustomed to how quick pressure builds the more you use that method. Also that's why you can't seal the system and look for vacuum decay when there's fuel in the tank...

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Fuck those old LDP's with the switching vacuum and spring diaphragm. Also fuck that NVLD system they have now. Really fuck that NVLD. The little switch weights never diagnose right and it's almost always a guess.

Granted I do use vapor pressure as a quick leak diag, pinch the system closed (or command it closed), put on the scanner on tank pressure graph and go do something else for a bit, make sure pressure rises. No pressure rise means you have a leak. It's very sensitive to seeing you have a small leak there somewhere. Great way to verify a repair or confirm the problem is present before going through all the testing. You might give that a shot to look for tiny leaks, you get accustomed to how quick pressure builds the more you use that method. Also that's why you can't seal the system and look for vacuum decay when there's fuel in the tank...

I don't really mess with much Chrysler evap stuff. Actually don't see them fail too much outside of gas caps. Did have a jeep wrangler with a cracked vent line. Gotta replace the whole gas tank.... or replace electrical tape every few months according to the owner.

I wish Honda let you do a purge and seal. I guess I could leave the vent plug in, but that doesn't test the CVS performance. Unfortunately the tank is at like 70% too.

30 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't really mess with much Chrysler evap stuff. Actually don't see them fail too much outside of gas caps. Did have a jeep wrangler with a cracked vent line. Gotta replace the whole gas tank.... or replace electrical tape every few months according to the owner.

I wish Honda let you do a purge and seal. I guess I could leave the vent plug in, but that doesn't test the CVS performance. Unfortunately the tank is at like 70% too.

Well if you're gonna use natural vapor pressure rise (NVPR? Wait isn't that public radio?) a fuller tank raises pressure faster because there's less volume to fill. If they won't let you seal the system close whatever solenoid you can and block the other line and vice versa, gotta do it twice but whatever you can kind of just walk away with it on a charger for like 15 minutes which is why I like using it because I don't need to babysit it. If I have no controls then I just block lines and let it go for a bit. Ambient temp influences how fast the pressure rises. I like to test the purge solenoid by bleeding off pressure then watching it rise again to make sure the solenoid runs, it flows, flow increases with command, and then it re-seals. Also your nose can be an excellent leak checker too. I've located many very small or impossible to see leaks with my nose. I've got like idiot savant nose though, I can smell the smells under the smells.

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Well if you're gonna use natural vapor pressure rise (NVPR? Wait isn't that public radio?) a fuller tank raises pressure faster because there's less volume to fill. If they won't let you seal the system close whatever solenoid you can and block the other line and vice versa, gotta do it twice but whatever you can kind of just walk away with it on a charger for like 15 minutes which is why I like using it because I don't need to babysit it. If I have no controls then I just block lines and let it go for a bit. Ambient temp influences how fast the pressure rises. I like to test the purge solenoid by bleeding off pressure then watching it rise again to make sure the solenoid runs, it flows, flow increases with command, and then it re-seals. Also your nose can be an excellent leak checker too. I've located many very small or impossible to see leaks with my nose. I've got like idiot savant nose though, I can smell the smells under the smells.

What I do is hook the smoke machine up to it at the purge valve with the vent blocked off with a plug. I can smell gas, mostly from the filler neck area. If I got time tomorrow I will check the datastream. We have been so damn busy its insane, plus with a tech out sick its been hell. Can't hire anyone because nobody wants to work. Only get 5-10 minute chunks to look at it through the day. Plus my lift broke, so thats fun.

2 hours ago, Snadzies said:

I got an air hammer not too long ago and I can't believe I ever got by without one.

Airhammers for doing things like tie-rod ends, ball joints and such are N.I.C.E. to have around.

Mine may be getting a workout soon with the latest project I've got. Unfortunately I'm having to abandon the Torino project for several reasons but I now have something that's more like what I've always wanted in the first place. I will be accessing the Torino project to sell off later along with the engine (BB 460) and all else that goes with it.
I hate to see it go since I built that engine way back in the day and it still runs well even now but that's how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, this is the one I've got now and yes, it's a VIN plate and cowl numbers confirmed Sprint with a little 260 V8.
From what I was told it's basically original, most if not all of it is there and has the matching numbers drivetrain in it too.

Will be test firing off the engine tomorrow after fixing what some jack-leg mechs did to create, not solve problems with it. If you don't know how to replace and setup ignition points, let someone show you how it's done because these guys needed lessons about it. Was easy to fix and get right again but just having to deal with it and seeing what was done doesn't make me want to take it to them for any work, plus the idiots werre trying to fire it off with bad oil in the motor too, had alot of water/moisture mixed in and had to drain and refill it with good oil.

Those guys may have saved the engine by screwing up the ignition so it would never run, which I'm glad of.

I'll be doing a video of this test firing tomorrow.

1430714466_Frontexterior.thumb.jpg.7f99cce0d529e1dcc0d113a6ed3ad969.jpg919303688_Rearexterior.thumb.JPG.b1a8abd9d3b35e60ac37d2501a6f5f81.JPGInterior.thumb.JPG.34df0d536b25897c4ba8f3199101e347.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

What I do is hook the smoke machine up to it at the purge valve with the vent blocked off with a plug. I can smell gas, mostly from the filler neck area. If I got time tomorrow I will check the datastream. We have been so damn busy its insane, plus with a tech out sick its been hell. Can't hire anyone because nobody wants to work. Only get 5-10 minute chunks to look at it through the day. Plus my lift broke, so thats fun.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Airhammers for doing things like tie-rod ends, ball joints and such are N.I.C.E. to have around.

Mine may be getting a workout soon with the latest project I've got. Unfortunately I'm having to abandon the Torino project for several reasons but I now have something that's more like what I've always wanted in the first place. I will be accessing the Torino project to sell off later along with the engine (BB 460) and all else that goes with it.
I hate to see it go since I built that engine way back in the day and it still runs well even now but that's how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, this is the one I've got now and yes, it's a VIN plate and cowl numbers confirmed Sprint with a little 260 V8.
From what I was told it's basically original, most if not all of it is there and has the matching numbers drivetrain in it too.

Will be test firing off the engine tomorrow after fixing what some jack-leg mechs did to create, not solve problems with it. If you don't know how to do replace and setup ignition points, let someone show you how it's done because these guys needed lessons about it. Was easy to fix and get right again but just having to deal with it and seeing what was done doesn't make me want to take it to them for any work, plus the idiots werre trying to fire it off with bad oil in the motor too, had alot of water/moisture mixed in and had to drain and refill it with good oil.

Those guys may have saved the engine by screwing up the ignition so it would never run, which I'm glad of.

I'll be doing a video of this test firing tomorrow.

1430714466_Frontexterior.thumb.jpg.7f99cce0d529e1dcc0d113a6ed3ad969.jpg919303688_Rearexterior.thumb.JPG.b1a8abd9d3b35e60ac37d2501a6f5f81.JPGInterior.thumb.JPG.34df0d536b25897c4ba8f3199101e347.JPG

paint it yellow black and white with chrome accents 

29 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

paint it yellow black and white with chrome accents 

Nope - It's an original "Triple Black" car meaning black paint, interior and top.
These are a rarity within the Sprint lineup it turns out and I'm doing it back the way it should be, plus black is probrably the cheapest color for all three of these things anyway.

Most of these were, for example red with white interior and top or blue with black interior and top, typically these colors were mixed to make them "Pop" visually and that's fine but after doing the research all black convertibles within the Falcon convertible line (Coupe, Futura and Sprint models) are rare, in fact this one is a rarity within a rarity since true Sprints are rare anyway no matter how it's optioned.

That's why I'm keeping it "Correct" or at least as correct as it's possible for me to do.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Last day of my current job. Feels weird 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 hours ago, The_russian said:

Because I don’t want to die when someone is texting while driving and swerves into me.

that can still happen with a car btw 😂
just need a very unlucky situation

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

10 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

or just drive a miata and be next to some guy in a lifted truck

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Oh yeah it can still happen, but it’s a lot more unlikely for several reasons including being easier to see in a bigger car and having more protection. Knowing the idiots in my town and my luck, I just know it’s going to end badly if I start riding.

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Last day of my current job. Feels weird 

Does this mean we can no longer harass you for bottles of hot sauce?

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Does this mean we can no longer harass you for bottles of hot sauce?

Yes, sorry 😐 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

or just drive a miata and be next to some guy in a lifted truck

Read on reddit about some guy that was/is an EMT and responded to a low speed (I think it was 25mph) rear end accident. Dudes laptop went flying and somehow hit him in the back of the neck and severed his brain stem. Laptop straight up BSOD'd the dude.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Read on reddit about some guy that was/is an EMT and responded to a low speed (I think it was 25mph) rear end accident. Dudes laptop went flying and somehow hit him in the back of the neck and severed his brain stem. Laptop straight up BSOD'd the dude.

Holy crap of all the ways you can die 

yep, don’t keep loose items in your car. Put everything in its place 

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Holy crap of all the ways you can die 

yep, don’t keep loose items in your car. Put everything in its place 

My sub is held by 1200lb threaded inserts, 3 them.