Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Man, last points I set were on a Minarelli V1 2 stroke! Swapped out the stock coil for a Bosch SuperCoil made for a VW/Porsche and that thing would throw spark across a 1mm gap in 14:1CR with 30:1 oil mix, if you have the leg to kick it over or could get it rolling to pop start it. 14:1 is HARD compression but that thing sure could scoot for 75CC...until the carb, exhaust, and gearing limited it at 35mph. Gosh that thing was fun to mess with.

Points were the very first thing I ever worked on and that's how I learned about them.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It happened again today, low gas, no start. Fed it a bit, starts normally (after a few cranks). I’ll just have to keep it well fed and not on E all the time xD

When you say 'fed it a bit' you mean you're pumping the throttle pedal when cranking or you're just holding slight throttle? If it's only a problem with low fuel levels it may be a fuel pickup issue, like a missing strainer, perforated strainer, or weak fuel pump.

Pumping throttle on a fuel injected car does NOTHING but possibly flood it worse, you're confusing the ECM opening and closing the throttle rapidly at very low speed during starting. Just give it about 1/4 throttle maybe a little less and crank it that way. It'll feed more air to make up for too much fuel (or lack of air) and get it started if that's the issue. If it's a fuel pickup issue it could be the pump taking longer to build pressure at low fuel level due to the pump being weak but usually that would be slow to build pressure any time. A clogged, missing, or perforated strainer could let it suck air at low fuel levels, but I would expect it to suck air when driving and drive poorly too. Odd that it only happens at low fuel levels. May warrant taking a look inside the fuel tank. I've seen a few BMW with incorrectly installed fuel sending units that cause weird issues, some of them need to snap into a ring in the tank bottom to position correctly for the fuel pump pickup and fuel level sender to operate properly.

Could also be a simple case of trash in the tank clogging up the fuel pickup sock.

I've seen before where someone had filled up right after the underground tanks had been topped off by the gas tanker at a station and all the crap at the bottom of the station's holding tank for the pumps was stirred up....
And guess what got pumped right into the tank.

That's why if I need gas and then see the tanks being topped off I keep driving if I can.

Yes, I know they're supposed to have filters on the pumps too but it really depends on who's running the station, some will keep things maintained, others are just too cheap to worry about it.

Thing is, all it takes is that one time of pumping gas and trash and you've got it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Could also be a simple case of trash in the tank clogging up the fuel pickup sock.

I've seen before where someone had filled up right after the underground tanks had been topped off by the gas tanker at a station and all the crap at the bottom of the station's holding tank for the pumps was stirred up....
And guess what got pumped right into the tank.

That's why if I need gas and then see the tanks being topped off I keep driving if I can.

Yes, I know they're supposed to have filters on the pumps too but it really depends on who's running the station, some will keep things maintained, others are just too cheap to worry about it.

Thing is, all it takes is that one time of pumping gas and trash and you've got it.

Also helps to only get gas in higher volume places, generally everything is cleaner, and the fuel is newer too, so less chance of putting bad gas in your V12 AMG in the dead of winter 😂 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

When you say 'fed it a bit' you mean you're pumping the throttle pedal when cranking or you're just holding slight throttle? If it's only a problem with low fuel levels it may be a fuel pickup issue, like a missing strainer, perforated strainer, or weak fuel pump.

Pumping throttle on a fuel injected car does NOTHING but possibly flood it worse, you're confusing the ECM opening and closing the throttle rapidly at very low speed during starting. Just give it about 1/4 throttle maybe a little less and crank it that way. It'll feed more air to make up for too much fuel (or lack of air) and get it started if that's the issue. If it's a fuel pickup issue it could be the pump taking longer to build pressure at low fuel level due to the pump being weak but usually that would be slow to build pressure any time. A clogged, missing, or perforated strainer could let it suck air at low fuel levels, but I would expect it to suck air when driving and drive poorly too. Odd that it only happens at low fuel levels. May warrant taking a look inside the fuel tank. I've seen a few BMW with incorrectly installed fuel sending units that cause weird issues, some of them need to snap into a ring in the tank bottom to position correctly for the fuel pump pickup and fuel level sender to operate properly.

Fed it as in put some fuel in the tank.

I got some more today, hopefully I’m good for a few days. 
I had my suspicions regarding the fuel pump or everything in that system.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also helps to only get gas in higher volume places, generally everything is cleaner, and the fuel is newer too, so less chance of putting bad gas in your V12 AMG in the dead of winter 😂 

Can't argue with that, those higher volume places are what they are for good reason.
Even with that it can still happen though making the same headache to deal with.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

How low are we talking?

I’ll give you $5 for it. Best i can do

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

GF got a flat tire, no one knows how to change flat tire where she works. Drive home to feed dogs, let dogs out, get a bite to eat. 3 minutes from the house the Mazda slips out of gear into neutral, coast into parking lot, drives in 2nd, go back out onto main road, works in 2nd and 3rd and takes off in 1st but it's shifting hard and no speedo, seems like VSS took a shit finally. Look up part, order part, eat something small, wash nasty head from dirty day at work, hop into Celica and drive to city 45 minutes to guide her through installing a spare wheel on her car then we drive home. Stuck DDing the Celica till the new part comes in, shipped new part to work so I can fix my car whenever it comes in. Ordered her 2 new Continental PureContact LS tires and we'll do the other two later, they came in to the shop this afternoon, I'll take the wheel with me to work tomorrow and get that one done.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

GF got a flat tire, no one knows how to change flat tire where she works. Drive home to feed dogs, let dogs out, get a bite to eat. 3 minutes from the house the Mazda slips out of gear into neutral, coast into parking lot, drives in 2nd, go back out onto main road, works in 2nd and 3rd and takes off in 1st but it's shifting hard and no speedo, seems like VSS took a shit finally. Look up part, order part, eat something small, wash nasty head from dirty day at work, hop into Celica and drive to city 45 minutes to guide her through installing a spare wheel on her car then we drive home. Stuck DDing the Celica till the new part comes in, shipped new part to work so I can fix my car whenever it comes in. Ordered her 2 new Continental PureContact LS tires and we'll do the other two later, they came in to the shop this afternoon, I'll take the wheel with me to work tomorrow and get that one done.

Not a single person where she works knows how to change a spare tire? Omg lol 

figuring out the spare tire and jack situation is like one of the first things I do when I get a new car lol 

can’t say I’m a fan of the bright orange purposefully deflated spare tire of shame that comes with the Touareg, but it’s better than nothing I guess

Sorry about your car but sounds like you got it figured out. It’s nice having multiple cars isn’t it? Lol 

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Not a single person where she works knows how to change a spare tire? Omg lol 

figuring out the spare tire and jack situation is like one of the first things I do when I get a new car lol 

can’t say I’m a fan of the bright orange purposefully deflated spare tire of shame that comes with the Touareg 

It's a vet hospital, there was one guy and he's got a bad back and the rest are girls in their 20's mostly. I'm sure someone there could have helped her and they'd have figured it out but no one offered except the manager who back out with his old slipped disc excuse. Whatever, it's done and my car didn't get too broken. Only had some kind of can get shot at me from the lane over and tumble under the car.

I made her do most of the changing but with my breaker bar and torque wrench to make things easier and safer. I told her I'd get her a torque wrench so she'll feel safe knowing things are tightened enough. Harbor Freight should be fine enough for lug nuts for a spare wheel.

Not sure if it really fits in here ^^ 

Just ordered my first new car ever. 

Only bought pre-owned before. 

So hyped to pick it up mid October. 

Just wanted to share my joy 😃

IMG-20210721-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.089e0755c08a62c71a8f89b572bf14f2.jpeg

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

36 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

Not sure if it really fits in here ^^ 

Just ordered my first new car ever. 

Only bought pre-owned before. 

So hyped to pick it up mid October. 

Just wanted to share my joy 😃

Niiiiice! More details about it?

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Niiiiice! More details about it?

mazda 3 bp

122Hp (gas / mild hybrid) 

lots of extras (bose sound system, HuD, led matrix lights, android auto, can't remember everything as the list is so long ^^.... basically everything exept the top 2 packages, so it's missing leather seats, sunroof etc)

if there is anything specific you would like to know i'm happy to answer 😃

seller told me there will be an about an hour long breefing on the tech in the car when i pick it up, as mazda insists every seller does those XD

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

2 hours ago, LauriHimself said:

mazda 3 bp

122Hp (gas / mild hybrid) 

lots of extras (bose sound system, HuD, led matrix lights, android auto, can't remember everything as the list is so long ^^.... basically everything exept the top 2 packages, so it's missing leather seats, sunroof etc)

if there is anything specific you would like to know i'm happy to answer 😃

seller told me there will be an about an hour long breefing on the tech in the car when i pick it up, as mazda insists every seller does those XD

Oh the hybrid! I have a friend with the 2.5l gas manual trans hatch non hybrid fwd. I don't even know if they offer hybrid in North America.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Oh the hybrid!

mazda only does "mild" hybrid. so it only comes into play when you start moving at a stop light or in a trafic jam when the car disables one or two zylinders to lower emissions. honestly i couldnt feel any difference compared to my mazda 3 bl sedan i drive atm.

it never drives only on electricity.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I have a friend with the 2.5l gas manual trans hatch

would have loved one of those ^^ only problems are the price of the car here that would approach 40k€ for that model with the extras i wanted, that the insurance gets insane here with "high"-ish HP and you have to pay for emission here with insurance too -.-

4 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

mazda only does "mild" hybrid. so it only comes into play when you start moving at a stop light or in a trafic jam when the car disables one or two zylinders to lower emissions. honestly i couldnt feel any difference compared to my mazda 3 bl sedan i drive atm.

it never drives only on electricity.

would have loved one of those ^^ only problems are the price of the car, that the insurance gets insane here with "high"-ish HP and you have to pay for emission here with insurance too -.-

How much HP are you talking about for it to be high.....ish?

19 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

How much HP are you talking about for it to be high.....-ish?

for someone with average income the most i would go for (if you need fully comprehensive insurance, which i do as i am leasing) is 150hp. everything above gets pretty expensive pretty quick. it's a little better if you only opt for "liability" insurance, it's still expenvive imo tho.

also it's not like "can't afford" expensive, more like paying nearly as much insurance as you pay for rent, so nothing i would do ^^

approaching 40 i just got a little more "sane" i guess on what i tend to spend my money.

2 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

for someone with average income the most i would go for (if you need fully comprehensive insurance, which i do as i am leasing) is 150hp. everything above gets pretty expensive pretty quick. it's a little better if you only opt for "liability" insurance, it's still expenvive imo tho.

also it's not like "can't afford" expensive, more like paying as much insurance as you pay for rent, so nothing i would do ^^

approaching 40 i just got a little more "sane" i guess on what i tend to spend my money.

From my perspective that sounds..... Crazy.
Premium rates for only 150HP? 🙄

13 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

From my perspective that sounds..... Crazy.
Premium rates for only 150HP?

150 is actually the limit imo, so 151 is where it starts ^^ there are several steppings where the rates change, 150 is one of them

for 122hp i'm paying 150ish € / month.... not good, not bad. 

for 300hp you would easily pay upwards of 450ish € / month. so about what you would pay for a nice single appartment in a rural area

also: the more co2 a car emmits (so more or less the more hp it has) the more you pay for a new car! it's called NOVA (NOrmVerbrauchsAbgabe)

250gramm/kilometer emission are "free", for every gramm more emitted per 100km, the price of the car rises for 50€...

so for me the pick fell on the 122 model (also b/c i had to wait for the 150 model till next year, which would have ment to repair my current car for 3000€ ish to drive it legally once my "test sticker" expires at the end of november and to get a new one which i have to every year once a car is older than 5 years...)

edit: sorry if my writing is a little confusing at times, not a native speaker

5 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

150 is actually the limit imo, so 151 is where it starts ^^ there are several steppings where the rates change, 150 is one of them

for 122hp i'm paying 150ish € / month.... not good, not bad. 

for 300hp you would easily pay upwards of 450ish € / month. so about what you would pay for a nice single appartment in a rural area

also: the more co2 a car emmits (so more or less the more hp it has) the more you pay for a new car! it's called NOVA (NOrmVerbrauchsAbgabe)

250gramm/kilometer emission are "free", for every gramm more emitted per 100km, the price of the car rises for 50€...

so for me the pick fell on the 122 model (also b/c i had to wait for the 150 model till next year, which would have ment to repair my current car for 3000€ ish to drive it legally once my "test sticker" expires at the end of november and to get a new one which i have to every year once a car is older than 5 years...)

You guys are being fleeced from both sides and it's only because they can do it.

Your English is fine, way better than some native speakers of it TBH.

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

You guys are being fleeced from both sides and it's only because they can do it

oh so much this! just across the border (in germany) (mainly-) german cars, on the high luxury end more than on the "low" end, are up to 10k cheaper

my mazda would have cost about 2k less, but of course you have to pay when you import, so that only makes sense when buying used cars (as there is no nova to pay when buying used)

but it is what it is i guess.

there are advantages with the high insurance too tho (not sure if elsewhere it is equal)

when i, or someone else for that matter, would total my car within the first 12 month of me owning it (excluding DUI and such o/c), i would get 100% of it's price back, which after the first 12 month gradually gets less. 

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Your English is fine, way better than some native speakers of it TBH

TY 😃

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

the 2.5l gas manual trans hatch non hybrid fwd

Gesundheit.

1 hour ago, LauriHimself said:

Besser als meine Deutsch