Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Saw this lovely specimen at a grocery store today. ALL THE PARTS!

IMG_20210724_123149.jpg

IMG_20210724_123200.jpg

IMG_20210724_123203.jpg

Those rear window shade things shoulda stayed in the 80s along with mullets.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Especially the ones on that car since the build quality is absolute t r a s h.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, flibberdipper said:

Especially the ones on that car since the build quality is absolute t r a s h.

Oh yeah, that one is horrible. Have a riced out 2019 civic around town that has one, the quality of that one looks good at least.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

45 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Saw this lovely specimen at a grocery store today. ALL THE PARTS!

IMG_20210724_123149.jpg

IMG_20210724_123200.jpg

IMG_20210724_123203.jpg

I have so many questions… What the hell is on the windshield wipers? Why is the WRX on the spoiler crooked? Why is it sticking out like a centimeter? But most of all… who thought all that made the car look better? 

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

The back window louvers or specifically the rear side ones? They can look good on some cars, but not this implementation on this car.

10 minutes ago, The_russian said:

The back window louvers or specifically the rear side ones? They can look good on some cars, but not this implementation on this car.

Let's be honest, rear quarter window louvers only really work on Mustangs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ever seen one of these?
merkur-xr4ti.thumb.jpg.5b9faf851cbac15c905380a3db7e676c.jpg
Many throw off on these and probrably for good reason BUT if you can work around it's shortcomings it's actually a decent ride.

The fact it's powered by a Ford 2.3Ltr Turbo engine gives it possibilites but the mentioned shortcomings involve the transmissons used with them, either manual or auto, those tend to be a weak point. It also has a rather limited radiator opening for cooling so that would need to be improved too. The ride and handling isn't bad, pretty good overall (For what it is) and at least compliments the engine which, BTW being what it is can be made to produce some serious power with the right parts and work done.

I know that because I had one of the 2.3 Turbo engines in a 72 Pinto with a good 4-speed trans behind it and could run with 6's and 8's on the track no problem.
Burnouts at the line?
Never was an issue for it and it could do some of the smokey one's we like to see in 1st AND 2nd.
It would "hurt" 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear too during a run and was always a favorite at the track.

Speaking of such useage, I"m aware of at least one guy that took one of these, got a "Good" trans for it, built the engine, then added a special intercooler of his own design. It uses Dry Ice in a container with the air intake plummed through it and he can run with about any V8 it goes up against (Way better than mine could) on the track yet it's streetable too when that's not in use. 
I personally know where three of these are right now I could get if I wanted to but already have my little Sprint and not going to abandon that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Ever seen one of these?
Many throw off on these and probrably for good reason BUT if you can work around it's shortcomings it's actually a decent ride.

The fact it's powered by a Ford 2.3Ltr Turbo engine gives it possibilites but the mentioned shortcomings involve the transmissons used with them, either manual or auto, those tend to be a weak point. It also has a rather limited radiator opening for cooling so that would need to be improved too. The ride and handling isn't bad, pretty good overall (For what it is) and at least compliments the engine which, BTW being what it is can be made to produce some serious power with the right parts and work done.

I know that because I had one of the 2.3 Turbo engines in a 72 Pinto with a good 4-speed trans behind it and could run with 6's and 8's on the track no problem.
Burnouts at the line?
Never was an issue for it and it could do some of the smokey one's we like to see in 1st AND 2nd.
It would "hurt" 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear too during a run and was always a favorite at the track.

Speaking of such useage, I"m aware of at least one guy that took one of these, got a "Good" trans for it, built the engine, then added a special intercooler of his own design. It uses Dry Ice in a container with the air intake plummed through it and he can run with about any V8 it goes up against (Way better than mine could) on the track yet it's streetable too when that's not in use. 
I personally know where three of these are right now I could get if I wanted to but already have my little Sprint and not going to abandon that.

I had a couple of normal xr4's the 2.8 ones back in the day.

Pete

5 hours ago, 711jrp said:

I had a couple of normal xr4's the 2.8 ones back in the day.

Lad up the street from me has a 500 odd hp 2wd cos

20210307_175456.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Lad up the street from me has a 500 odd hp 2wd cos

20210307_175456.jpg

I have a real nice standard 2wd tucked away too, and the yb powered mk2 you've seen on here, that'#s close to 600 on a cold day.

Pete

15 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Ever seen one of these?

Burnouts at the line?

My grandad used to have a 1.8 carbed one of them things ... was a pure farm workhorse till it stopped running and he scrapped it.
Cant say anything about about them apart from the lack of power in the 1.8

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

5 hours ago, 711jrp said:

I have a real nice standard 2wd tucked away too, and the yb powered mk2 you've seen on here, that'#s close to 600 on a cold day.

Nice!

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

6 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

My grandad used to have a 1.8 carbed one of them things ... was a pure farm workhorse till it stopped running and he scrapped it.
Cant say anything about about them apart from the lack of power in the 1.8

Cool - The versions sold here with the turbo were "Fun" if you set it up correctly.

In my view it was OK but had too much uneeded "Stuff" adding weight to it such as sound deadener/insulation and crap like that. I know it was supposed to be like a mini-cruiser of sorts (Smooth ride with a bit of zip) but at least what we had could be improved with some careful planning.
Main objectives were to ditch the excess weight which improved performance AND the ride/handling, improve the engine itself internally and tweak the boost.
That did increase the road noise inside the cabin with windows up. 
Nothing a decent stereo system coudn't take care of, that being a requirement anyway.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

IMG_20210725_140003.thumb.jpg.bd7fdfaacfabfccb79bd6d7e350f8df5.jpg
Well here's something. A car no one cared about, that got made fun of and was gone with in 10 years from the Dutch highways.
And here's an example that's been cherished and looks absolutely pristine. I present to you; The horrible, but by now rather rare Daewoo Nexia. 

29 minutes ago, s_k said:

I present to you; The horrible, but by now rather rare Daewoo Nexia.

Good news! They traded it in for a Dacia Sandero!

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

30 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Good news! They traded it in for a Dacia Sandero!

That's great news!
(I am actually thinking of buying a Dacia Logan as my next car, just for the Lolz, but my 24 year old Volvo doesn't want to die :D)

I reached peak boredom and ended up making an entire shortcut on my phone to calculate MPG and add it to a note so I can keep track of it over time. A weird quirk I noticed is that it shows a progress notification during the vibrate step (right before the notes app step), and it only does this with a home screen shortcut (it's completely normal from a widget). Doesn't really matter to me since I'm always going to use it from the widgets slide-out panel dohickey though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, s_k said:

That's great news!
(I am actually thinking of buying a Dacia Logan as my next car, just for the Lolz, but my 24 year old Volvo doesn't want to die :D)

Baha. Don't hold your breath, your Volvo will probably hold on for another 20-30 years. 😄

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

We got the Daewoo Nubira here in the US, it wasn't a bad car actually! I've driven a couple at work and the 2.0L engine was zippy enough even with the auto trans, the whole care didn't feel like cheap junk, and mechanically it was nice and simple. They had some other similar car with a 2.4 that looked like it was borrowed from Kia's version of the 4G64, also a decent feeling car.

Horn and horns. Notes E, F, and the big one is a C or D. Should be quite the cacophony!

IMG_20210725_221959.jpg

I had some issues with the electric horn, it was a single low note Fiamm AM80S, rated 110DB. It quit working, took it off, had a rattle in it, so I ordered a pair of low and high note horns in the AM80SX line which are 115DB rated. Turned out to be a rotten wire at the horn connector, not a bad horn but I went ahead and installed the pair and fixed the wiring at the same time. It's a cramped fit in there and I need to spray the back of the one horn with something to protect it better since it's exposed a little through the fog light hole. I've only given it a short test toot in the garage. I'll see if I can get a proper video at some point when I find somewhere I can honk without angering people. Should be train-like with the 3 notes, even though they're not quite the right notes.

3 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

I reached peak boredom and ended up making an entire shortcut on my phone to calculate MPG and add it to a note so I can keep track of it over time. A weird quirk I noticed is that it shows a progress notification during the vibrate step (right before the notes app step), and it only does this with a home screen shortcut (it's completely normal from a widget). Doesn't really matter to me since I'm always going to use it from the widgets slide-out panel dohickey though.

Why not add the data to Excel or Numbers? You could do more with the data like graph it, not sure how fancy you could get with Notes but might be worth looking into.

8 hours ago, The_russian said:

Why not add the data to Excel or Numbers? You could do more with the data like graph it, not sure how fancy you could get with Notes but might be worth looking into.

If like fuelly has an API he could connect it to there and upload the info automagically lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 hours ago, The_russian said:

That'd be entirely too much hassle for a graph. Having all the data dumped into Notes is stupidly simple.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Caliper saga continues on another day. The first supplier sends out a 'different brand' caliper, it's the same shit in a different box those lying cunts. It also leaks. Go to a different supplier, order a Centric part, get sent a FVP part again. Fine, I'll fucking try a 4th one I guess. I'm very unhappy.

6 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

That'd be entirely too much hassle for a graph. Having all the data dumped into Notes is stupidly simple.

Adding #s to Excel is too much hassle....? You set up a graph once by ranging more cells than you need and add info when you fuel up. It graphs automatically..