I wish being a long time steam customer gave me benefits.

Mattson

I'm just looking at my steam account and I notice it is 14 years old.  For 13.5 of those years I've been gaming on the bare minimums to get CS 1.6 working(it wasn't hard).  Now I finally have a job where I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and I can save some money.  I'm trying to build my first PC but these videocard prices are astronomical.  I'm salty because I'm still going to end up buying one anyway... I just wish I didn't have to pay so damn much for them.

There should be some sort of system that validates you by using your steam account and your playing history that gets you a GPU at an MSRP.

I wish there were tangible benefits for being a part of the PC gaming community for so long... because right now it is absolute sadness.

The plan for this PC was to buy it piece by piece so the anticipation builds come build time... I don't know if I should get a GPU first or make it the last piece I get in a couple of months... this market is so hard to predict.  Will someone please pop the bitcoin bubble?  Like seriously.

Anyway... don't know what the point of this one is... just want to vent I guess, thanks for listening.

Whoa, you sound pretty entitled.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

8 minutes ago, Mattson said:

The plan for this PC was to buy it piece by piece so the anticipation builds come build time...

Never buy piece by piece. Only the case, PSU, and cooler make any sense to buy ahead of time (unless there's a stupidly good sale) as anything else will ultimately trend downwards in price and be replaced by newer and better tech.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You get XP and crap but you can’t imagine they would dump a bunch of money into “rewards” for people who are going to keep using their service anyway

Also look around for used 980ti’s or even 780ti’s. They still perform great and will tide you over until the next series and hopefully a supply increase. The rumour seems to be that Pascal production is slowing to prepare for Volta gaming cards

That's an F in the profile pic

Lol, who do you think you are? Steam doesn't even charge you for an account and you expect them to give you benefits?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I got Portal for free from a giveaway a long time ago. Does that count?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

as anything else will ultimately trend downwards in price.

Seeing the current trend with some components, that doesn't really hold true anymore... RAM price are through the roof, miners jacking up the prices of GPUs by buying all the stocks so the demand is higher than the supply... A while ago there was a flood that caused hard drive prices to skyrocket as well which took months before it come close to pre-flood levels...

You never know what the future will hold.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Seeing the current trend with some components, that doesn't really hold true anymore... RAM price are through the roof, miners jacking up the prices of GPUs by buying all the stocks so the demand is higher than the supply... A while ago there was a flood that caused hard drive prices to skyrocket as well which took months before it come close to pre-flood levels...

You never know what the future will hold.

Prices trend downward in general, but spikes do of course happen. That doesn't mean you should RAM today because the possibility exists that it could spike higher in 6 months when you need it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

LOL what!? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 14 years to get a job where you're not living paycheck to paycheck seems...off.

They owe you nothing. They're simply a supplier for games you want. Being part of a community in no way should benefit you like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

With that logic, w/o knowing where I get all my games from they should send me 2 ASIC Ants at least...

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Egg-Roll

Also 14 years with steam and just now paying your way? Just assuming you where at age (17) Uni is max 7 years... Being lazy in HS couldn't take more than 2 extra, thats 9 years...

Assuming you were raised by people who couldn't read ratings and bought it when you were 8, then ok, but wait? No... Assuming you were perfect in school and went threw a 4 year program in post you should still have 1 years worth of work behind you...

If your first idea in saving money is blowing it on a new computer, then you will be forever in debt. I built this computer to last 5 years (previous was only 3 built for 5) not just because I wanted it but because I knew I had the cash +10%.

Do as mentioned above buy a used card, hell buying a cheap $50 card new if you can't be bothered buying new...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137158&ignorebbr=1

I used a GT 640 before buying the R9 270 before buying the new computer I currently have, both said cards worked good, not as great as my 1070 but good enough.

humble Bundle is always giving away free games..... and some damn good ones too!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

people really trashed the OP's post with some insane arguments when in my perspective what we asked for (a loyalty program not discussing the specifics of getting an MSRP card) is not at all weird. A lot of companies do it when you have a long lasting relationship with their costumer....but... I guess they don't do loyalty stuff because they don't need to, they are almost a monopoly and that is the only reason. If they had lots of competition i bet they would have implemented a loyalty program ages ago.

On 21/01/2018 at 10:55 PM, dizmo said:

LOL what!? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 14 years to get a job where you're not living paycheck to paycheck seems...off.

60% of working Americans have no more than $1000 in their savings account.  30% even have zero.  The stats are only somewhat less bad in Canada.

In short; Most people in the United States and Canada are one paycheque away from 'fucked'.

Scary, right?

To use a quote from another one of your posts: 

On 18/01/2018 at 7:40 PM, Mattson said:

It is important to realize that this is your opinion and no matter how strongly you feel it does not make you right. 

Even if this is just a rant, you're wrong m8.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 1/21/2018 at 8:07 AM, Mattson said:

I'm just looking at my steam account and I notice it is 14 years old.  For 13.5 of those years I've been gaming on the bare minimums to get CS 1.6 working(it wasn't hard).  Now I finally have a job where I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and I can save some money.  I'm trying to build my first PC but these videocard prices are astronomical.  I'm salty because I'm still going to end up buying one anyway... I just wish I didn't have to pay so damn much for them.

There should be some sort of system that validates you by using your steam account and your playing history that gets you a GPU at an MSRP.

I wish there were tangible benefits for being a part of the PC gaming community for so long... because right now it is absolute sadness.

The plan for this PC was to buy it piece by piece so the anticipation builds come build time... I don't know if I should get a GPU first or make it the last piece I get in a couple of months... this market is so hard to predict.  Will someone please pop the bitcoin bubble?  Like seriously.

Anyway... don't know what the point of this one is... just want to vent I guess, thanks for listening.

I'm a 14 year account holder. In fact, the account is a few days younger than Steam's official launch.

I'm not expecting Valve to give me anything in return. In fact I don't expect anyone to give me anything in return just for sticking around. What if I signed up for Steam back when it launched and haven't touched it since? Does it make sense I should still get benefits?  If anything, you should only get benefits if you actually contribute to the system. It doesn't seem fair if lurkers get the same benefits as those who have say 300+ games in their library or whatnot.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

people really trashed the OP's post with some insane arguments when in my perspective what we asked for (a loyalty program not discussing the specifics of getting an MSRP card) is not at all weird. A lot of companies do it when you have a long lasting relationship with their costumer....but... I guess they don't do loyalty stuff because they don't need to, they are almost a monopoly and that is the only reason. If they had lots of competition i bet they would have implemented a loyalty program ages ago.

A lot of companies also require that you opt-in to their loyalty program. And even then, lots of them require you to actively use their system to get the good stuff. For example, Best Buy offers up to 45 days to return a product, free 2-day shipping, among other benefits. The catch? You have to spend $3500 per calendar year. Otherwise you only get a lesser tier or basic rewards.

Merely being a member for X amount of years shouldn't qualify you for anything other than the basics, if anything. It doesn't make sense for someone who's been lurking around to receive the same benefits as someone who actively participates in the system.

On 21/01/2018 at 4:15 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Never buy piece by piece. Only the case, PSU, and cooler make any sense to buy ahead of time (unless there's a stupidly good sale) as anything else will ultimately trend downwards in price and be replaced by newer and better tech.

My custom triple fan cooled white 1080 Ti was £720.

A week after buying and still now its £750-770. I bought it before the rest of my upgrades and paired it with my Pentium G4400 for a week before getting the rest. It was fun.

Linus is my fetish.

In a way there are benefits, just not anything as significant as your'e talking.  From time to time, there are free game giveaways, not to mention the trading cards that come with sales which you can sell for a few dollars depending how many you get.  You also collect emojis and of course that all important steam level xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

60% of working Americans have no more than $1000 in their savings account.  30% even have zero.  The stats are only somewhat less bad in Canada.

In short; Most people in the United States and Canada are one paycheque away from 'fucked'.

Scary, right?

Interesting stat, but that's also because most people spend their paycheck on physical things. Like hobbies. ;)

I also find that hard to believe. Most people I know have a lot more than that in savings. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Interesting stat, but that's also because most people spend their paycheck on physical things. Like hobbies. ;)

I also find that hard to believe. Most people I know have a lot more than that in savings. 

Feel free to Google it.  It's a common topic in financial news media.

On 22/01/2018 at 3:07 AM, Mattson said:

They are getting desperate, holy shit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

It's even worse than what he said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3434447/over-half-of-canadians-are-200-or-less-away-from-not-being-able-to-pay-bills/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

There's massive problems with surveys like this.

• Who took the survey?
  • How big is their pool?
  • What demographic took the survey? Most people I know who have more money than that stated simply wouldn't bother.

So, it's an interesting stat, but overall unreliable unless they had a massive, massive response. Which is highly unlikely.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler