EV and more environmentally health future?

Eduard the weeb
22 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

sorry about getting the gases wrong:S

I'm not trying to say that the farmers should be punished for what they do, I am saying that right now is that we need to begin to make moves to make the environment and earth healthier also, its not like the world has unlimited gas/oil reserves and at the current rate of consumption we will run out in about 100 years and I before that happens we should begin moving towards things that can are cleaner and can be more effective as the tech gets better like solar panels and Hydro electric energy.

No that's exactly what you're saying. "Let's KILL off an industry, a couple million animals, and the people who take care of them, because environment" what about their benefits, such as soil aeration, fertilizer that is spread, and the auto mowing and keeping the native grasses from being choked out by weeds?(I'm battling the USFS on the same grounds right now.)

Remember when the who said we have to stop using antibiotics in animals or we are gonna die in 100 years? Beef dropped $30 and hasn't recoverd. The same thing when they said red meat is a "possible carcinogen"

My state of North Dakota, at the time of the last survey, has over 300 years worth of oil left in the KNOWN layers and enough KNOWN coal deposits to last until 2500, at the current rate of increase per year.

I really don't get why meat is unhealthy. I really don't. Then again I don't get why people want to screw us over.

You have awoken the Canadian/Canada Jr.(North Dakota, as the Canadian government seems to care about us more than the us government) Farmer.

Edited last post.

To be clear my farm/ranch, for the most part, is in ND, but I farm land in MT, MAN and Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I may seem defensive here but it is my main source of income, and I like doing it, but because of the "wonderful US Government" in the 80s("let's try to starve russia, because they won't buy elsewhere. Will they?") Has forced me to expand into other business and industries, such as a PC shop(that is mostly mail order) and building equipment. I assume that if your job, if you like it, was put under the same stress as mine, you would defense it too.

Current temp. At midnight central time: -40 with a 35mph wind. Pickup battery dead again. Just bought it too.

5 hours ago, ShoByte said:

Rigs need to gear down for hills. If you use your brakes too much they'll over heat and you'll end up in the ditch.

Quite a few cars with automatic transmission that I have seen allow you to use bottoms on the backside of the steering wheel to choose gear if you want to.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Quite a few cars with automatic transmission that I have seen allow you to use bottoms on the backside of the steering wheel to choose gear if you want to.

This isn't a substitute for a proper 4WD system - but thats different to changing gear anyway. Just about all automatics can choose gears. On (really unrelated) a side note I get angry when Subaru AWD owners think that their car is ok for snowy or off-road conditions.

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yes but to the extent we are seeing know is very damaging like the ozone layer is being destroyed by green houses gases and after the polar ice caps melt it will take a long time maybe millions of years if ever for then to come back together.

Are you saying that what happening right now is just natural and isn't something to be concerned about ?

Its accelerating the natural proccess - you are both right.

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

if your talking about russia yes but most other nuclear power plants were designed for 100 year use and a few hundred more storing the spent fuel. 

We have mined more than we need as it is a good way to dispose of material used to make nuclear weapons. as for forced labor not in most maybe in countries that happens but it isn't likely to be bough by any decent gov. 

I'd like it if you were right, but I'm pretty sure you're not. French nuclear power plants, for example, were mostly designed to run for 25 to 40 years, but since dismantling them and building new ones or replacing them with other types of plants is extremely expensive, every government just extends their service life and passes the issue onto the next one. As for working conditions, it was not so much forced labor I was referring to, but rather lackluster protection and meagre wages, which are common in places we buy uranium from. The workers get irradiated because they're poorly protected, the soils and water tables get irradiated because rainwater falls into open-pit mines, and we still buy our uranium on the cheap because there's a lot of competition on this market. When it comes to uranium reserves, we haven't mined nearly enough, and it remains unclear whether we still have enough to fuel our plants for another century or half century. This is the cleanest and cheapest way to produce electricity in a lot of developed countries, but it still contaminates the environment in other parts of the world, and it clearly won't last forever.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:21 PM, ShoByte said:

Rigs need to gear down for hills. If you use your brakes too much they'll over heat and you'll end up in the ditch.

true. But it is also possible to brake using generators, in a similar way that the engine takes the momentum and spends it to keep the engine going, the generator takes the momentum and puts it back into power. A few hybrids and electrics are starting to use generator braking to keep as much power as possible and maximum range.

18 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

I'd like it if you were right, but I'm pretty sure you're not. French nuclear power plants, for example, were mostly designed to run for 25 to 40 years, but since dismantling them and building new ones or replacing them with other types of plants is extremely expensive, every government just extends their service life and passes the issue onto the next one. As for working conditions, it was not so much forced labor I was referring to, but rather lackluster protection and meagre wages, which are common in places we buy uranium from. The workers get irradiated because they're poorly protected, the soils and water tables get irradiated because rainwater falls into open-pit mines, and we still buy our uranium on the cheap because there's a lot of competition on this market. When it comes to uranium reserves, we haven't mined nearly enough, and it remains unclear whether we still have enough to fuel our plants for another century or half century. This is the cleanest and cheapest way to produce electricity in a lot of developed countries, but it still contaminates the environment in other parts of the world, and it clearly won't last forever.

the key is to stop using Uranium. Also the Uranium in mines is rrelativly safe. We extract the uranium that we want from the ore that we want. a lot of it is not eligible for use in Nuclear reactors. When it comes to stop using nuclear reactors its relativly easy to go over to a safer fertile reaction using lots of Thorium with Plutonium to start the reaction nd end it when needed. Thorium is a lot more aboundant than Uranium and is easier to enrich. Countries like India and Norway have a high part per million of Thorium, and India is currently researching into Thorium reactors and the feasability to retrofit older uranium reactors to this fuel. 

22 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yes but to the extent we are seeing know is very damaging like the ozone layer is being destroyed by green houses gases and after the polar ice caps melt it will take a long time maybe millions of years if ever for then to come back together.

Are you saying that what happening right now is just natural and isn't something to be concerned about ?

As far as ive heard it was the CFC gasses (chlorofluorocarbons) that was the biggest hit in terms of thinning the ozone layer. as far as i know its on its way to recovery (slowly). I cant say for certain that standard greenhouse gasses effect the layer too much, im talking CO2 and Methane and such. But since greenhouse gasses is every gass with more than two atoms it covers a huge spectrum, so you arent technically wrong

just some food for thought... there is no need to steer the conversation from electric cars and the topic, just need to read and assimilate the broader scale of the problem. I could give other examples this seems more appropriate for this forum

The energy consumption of the crypto world

The bitcoin mining network now consumes more electricity than 159 countries of the world

https://medium.com/thebeammagazine/the-energy-consumption-of-the-crypto-world-b20e3628e0d2

56 minutes ago, asus killer said:

just some food for thought... there is no need to steer the conversation from electric cars and the topic, just need to read and assimilate the broader scale of the problem. I could give other examples this seems more appropriate for this forum

The energy consumption of the crypto world

The bitcoin mining network now consumes more electricity than 159 countries of the world

https://medium.com/thebeammagazine/the-energy-consumption-of-the-crypto-world-b20e3628e0d2

I did notice that the topic had swayed a bit. We are roughly on the right track, but we should stay om topic yes, or greate a new thread in the "off topic" section

No matter how you look at it, electric cars really aren't that much better than ICE cars.  We as a species really need to rethink how we do things, and in some countries that means a complete change of the infrastructure and how people live. 

If you simply don't need cars anymore for your everyday stuff, you reduce your carbon footprint massively and the amount of money you save allows you to either work less or save much more.

I just want my discounted or free electric auto tesla car for my disabilities now, GIVE!

People on the bus smell, making my free bus pass crap.

Linus is my fetish.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:13 AM, Froody129 said:

new auto boxes

Good luck fixing that in your garage eh!

15 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

how about this? I actually seen this demoed, looks promising.

https://www.wday.com/news/4385567-local-invention-could-double-gas-mileage-your-vehicle

Basically the engine runs a compressor, the tank gets up to capacity, fuel quits going to the engine, and it runs off of compressed air(that might have been another prototype) and you keep the acceleration and torque.

Ah, I forgot about air driven engines.  I can't remember the exact auto maker or company, but there was a pure air driven mini car that actually worked.  Just don't expect highway speeds out of it.  Darn, that was like years ago since I seen an article on such a car.

7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

No matter how you look at it, electric cars really aren't that much better than ICE cars.  We as a species really need to rethink how we do things, and in some countries that means a complete change of the infrastructure and how people live. 

If you simply don't need cars anymore for your everyday stuff, you reduce your carbon footprint massively and the amount of money you save allows you to either work less or save much more.

The amount of money owning a vehicle is high for sure.

I miss that one year I just used a bicycle to go everywhere.  Talk about saving a few grand in a year.  Just sucks that public transports suck down here in the Southern regions.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Good luck fixing that in your garage eh!

Most modern cars are a mission and half to fix anyway and I mean when we’re seeing a good 2l/100km less and not having drivers cock up the manual transmission with the clutch I think it’s worth it. 

Anyway, I was talking about the majority, who can’t fix any car. So for you a manual

might be better and that’s cool, I also much prefer manual just for driving pleasure 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Most modern cars are a mission and half to fix anyway and I mean when we’re seeing a good 2l/100km less and not having drivers cock up the manual transmission with the clutch I think it’s worth it. 

Anyway, I was talking about the majority, who can’t fix any car. So for you a manual

might be better and that’s cool, I also much prefer manual just for driving pleasure 

Drivetrains really aren't that hard, both for ICE and full electric.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

My thoughts, eh. As much as I love the tech, there's still the problem with how batteries are made, one quote from Jeremy Clarkson that always sticks in my mind (one which he re-iterated on The Grand Tour S02E05 the other week actually) is how the resources for your EV's batteries come from all over the world, shipped to a central place, made into the key components, then shipped to where the car is assembled. The idea of an EV is great, sure because you're not burning fossil fuels at the car, but to make all those components is still quite taxing & detrimental on the earth.

Saying that I am quite partial to the Porsche 918 Spyder, even though that's a hybrid, I don't care, it's amazing & one of the nicest sports/hyper/super cars I have seen.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, I forgot about air driven engines.  I can't remember the exact auto maker or company, but there was a pure air driven mini car that actually worked.  Just don't expect highway speeds out of it.  Darn, that was like years ago since I seen an article on such a car.

His prototype actually could get up to 85mph. I seen it running on I-94 when I was down there

Electric cars are great, I mean they are environmentally friendly. Oh wait, maybe not, because all that electricity has to come from somewhere. Personally I wouldn’t invest money into them, and would rather get some McLaren with that money. It’s not a bad idea to buy those cars however, its not like they are terrible. 

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

"more enviromentally health future"

Would be to take transit, ride bicycle and walk. Thats one of the factors to why North Americans are so obese.

Ehh, in my rural area, the fast traffic speeds and blind corners make bicycling a perilous (dare I say suicidal) venture. The only people that really drive the speed limit (40 mph) are tourists. Most other traffic break the 50mph mark easily, the regular commuters especially so (the sort of people that drive these roads every day for years).

In densely populated areas with work within the same town, forgoing cars would work. Not so outside town.

Another point against the batteries currently in use. Long range commutes and the subsequent deep discharges will be murder for the battery packs.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

This might have been said already, but electric cars do nothing for the environment if all the power they're using comes from plants that burn coal, gas or petrol. So until that happens I'll be steering away from them.

Speaking of which, I personally can't wait for Proof of Stake to be online on the Ethereum Network so we can get secure transactions with cryptocurrency without all the power costs that come (and without exhausting the supply on every single high-performance GPU xD). This is despite mining myself.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, Canada EH said:

"more enviromentally health future"

Would be to take transit, ride bicycle and walk. Thats one of the factors to why North Americans are so obese.

Well majority US doesn't have access to transit 

Next americans have some off the highest amount of people working out it just has alot of people like junk food or don't eat healthy 

Just saying americans are fat because they don't workout doesn't solve the issue at hand.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

So really getting elextric doesn't make a diffenece till where your getting your power from is also renewable.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

So really getting elextric doesn't make a diffenece till where your getting your power from is also renewable.

Either renewable or something that doesn't pollute as much1 like2 nuclear power3. Which is technically not renewable but does take foreeeeever to deplete resources. Especially if we figure out doable fusion.

1 if handled correctly

2 correctly handled

3 i can't stress enough that it has to be handled properly to work without insane pollution

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Either renewable or something that doesn't pollute as much1 like2 nuclear power3. Which is technically not renewable but does take foreeeeever to deplete resources. Especially if we figure out doable fusion.

1 if handled correctly

2 correctly handled

3 i can't stress enough that it has to be handled properly to work without insane pollution

EVERYONE MOVE TO VANCOUVER

https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/operations/generation.html

More than 90% of BC Hydro's generation is produced by hydroelectric generation

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

electric cars are very bad for the environment, the production of the batteries is a major health hazard for the planet. do you know how much acidic toxic waste is dumped into the land just to mine enough lithium for 1 car batter bank? you would do less environmental damage if you were doing burn outs in a semi truck. not to mention that electric cars depreciate very fast, which means they are easier to total so you'll see more cars going off to junk yards and that creates more waste. and that doesn't even count the disposal of the batteries which isn't very good either. and electric cars are more likely to explode or catch on fire because the battery cells are more volatile than gasoline.