EV and more environmentally health future?

Eduard the weeb
8 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

If not, then you're still clinging to the old mentality of those who think that real drivers are only those who drive with a manual gearbox.

Manual gearboxes have absolutely no advantages over automatic ones, unless the automatic is poorly made which in some cars it is.

The only reason they still exist is because they're cheap to produce.

For the act of actually driving a car and not just using it to get to work and back, people still want manuals. Take a look at the price of any 5-10 year old semi-exotic/exotic with a manual compared to the same car with an automatic, or look at the craze over the 911R.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's abundantly clear if you're as impatient with other drivers as I am.

To be fair, even when I drove my Volvo (an automatic), I always let the car ahead get a little distance (about a second) before I started moving in heavy traffic, so you'd probably be very irritable with me as well regardless of what I drive. :P

At least, I assume you mean this, as stop-go traffic is disadvantageous for manual transmission drivers.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And you were doing so well..

xD

Sorry but it's true.

When it comes to cars, they can only make good looking straight line fast cars. The rest is something they just don't know how to do.

4 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

xD

Sorry but it's true.

When it comes to cars, they can only make good looking straight line fast cars. The rest is something they just don't know how to do.

That's not even remotely true.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

xD

Sorry but it's true.

God you have no idea what you're talking about.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, TheCherryKing said:

Electric cars will never go mainstream.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:43 PM, Drak3 said:

No, manual trannies are now just antiques that can't hold a candle to an auto-x tranny in any regard. They're dated pieces of shit, and extremely tedious.

A Cummins 6.7 with an auto6. That's a fun truck right there. Easy to manipulate it into shifting when you want to, with or without manual control, and a lot more responsive than a guy needing a stick in his hand when it comes time to pass someone on the highway.

Throw in a Allison EP40 and you'll be set with a truck that was good but now it's terrible.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Dunno. With the goal of never selling more new combustion cars in Norway after 2025 i think they will since they are a lot cheaper than anything else here.

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Electric cars have been around for roughly 100 years. Not much has changed about them.

Yes they have been around, doesnt mean it is widely adopted by manufacturers to improve upon. The main limitation now ks charging speed and batter capacity to weight ratio

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

The main limitation now ks charging speed and batter capacity to weight ratio

Which was the issue they had compared to fossil fuel counterparts 100 years ago.

And all of them loss to steam powered cars handily.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:43 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

They cure blindness

by naturally selecting blind people who cannot hear them. 

Umm you cant really hear an electric car anyway

I'll give you my two cents as i ride the public transport home, Electric cars are going to become the normal maybe soon or in the near future like 2030 or something. Our BIGGEST issue with this is the sustainability of our electricity grid when these energy hungery machines come about. A lot of homes either need modified to feed back to the grid or made in that sense along with the electric car.

How? Firstly do do with buildings, homes etc. We all waiat energy without even knowing it a great way is the heat dicipacted through the rear of our ovens and escaping through extractor fans. That can be changed back into usable enrgy if done. Correctly.

Same with electric cars. Heat is dicipated and cooling is used to cool the umm batteries i guess? Change that to a vapour cooling system where after the fluid cools the batteries i goes through a set of turbines and generates power to an auxzillary battery (swap between the two depending on levels on each other, talk about that later) you have the breaking system generating heat and friction. Maybe have it when you break you would swap from the motors turning the wheels to a second set that recharges the auxzillary battery with the wheels winding to a stop. 

Their is many ways we can make electric cars more sutainable but all massive changes. 

It juat takes people to make a dream a reality.

People who dream at night are no harm, The ones that dream during the day has the will to make it reality. 

Nothing is ever out of reach. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

im more for hydrogen power, either through straight combustion or through fuel cells and then an electric motor, you can store a lot more energy than batteries, though if we could get decent fusion power the enviromental concern of hydrocarbon vehicles goes out the windows and then its pretty much whatever for me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm glad I won't live enough to see those taking over, I only drive normal gasoline manual gear hatch cars, every thing else is ew.

People talk about electric cars so much but they forget there is a far better alternative in which Brazil is world leader at, cars that use ethanol instead.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

thoughts on e-cars:  I live in central NY, and we year for year get the record snowfall in the Continental US.  That being said, I wonder how self driving cars would adjust to handle extreme changes in weather and road conditions.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, TheCherryKing said:

why you think so?

On 1/9/2018 at 7:53 AM, Jeff C said:

thoughts on e-cars:  I live in central NY, and we year for year get the record snowfall in the Continental US.  That being said, I wonder how self driving cars would adjust to handle extreme changes in weather and road conditions.

think thats what the sensor system that we see being added to cars are for other then people who almost crash or are driving in like a cliff area and almost fall off.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

53 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im more for hydrogen power, either through straight combustion or through fuel cells and then an electric motor, you can store a lot more energy than batteries, though if we could get decent fusion power the enviromental concern of hydrocarbon vehicles goes out the windows and then its pretty much whatever for me

The efficiency of such a car (hydrogen) is just way below an electric car. Then the second problem: You have tu build an infrastructure for Hydrogen stations (including storage, delivery and production) compared to an already existing electric grid, really expensive. Then you need to produce the hydrogen in the first place, which is either resource intensive (hydrolysis) or comes from natural gaz. 

So in total, really expensive but not impossible. Tho bringing the price of Fuel cells down and building a solid infrastructure is a big challenge.

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

19 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

think thats what the sensor system that we see being added to cars are for other then people who almost crash or are driving in like a cliff area and almost fall off.

makes sense, i was thinking this when i noticed my backup cam got snow covered in seconds and had no visibility. It will be interesting to see how they approaching these challenges

I honestly prefer we can develop mainstream and somewhat cheap carbon neutral fuel instead of dumping money into electric car. That way, we wouldn't have to waste money on new cars that are boring as fucking toasters, and we can still drive the cars that we love to drive and enjoy for years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think electrics battery is what makes it the hardest to make it environmentally unhealthy?

so the battery needs to be changed or made in a better way for it to be better for the environment is what I am seeing I think rite?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Electric cars will be the mainstream within fifteen years, at least in the EU and outside of the US. The US is often way behind with such things so it may well take longer there.

I'm always wondering why the fuel cell system as tried by honda (clarity) and toyota (mirai) did not catch on.

All the pro's of electric cars without the battery cancer and you can refuel within minutes. Only exhaust is pure water.

I'm also wondering where all the electricity is going to come from should every current fossil car be replaced with an electric one and they are all plugged in at night. Many ppl don't seem to understand that we're talking +- 100KW for a single car with decent range.

1 minute ago, Unimportant said:

I'm always wondering why the fuel cell system as tried by honda (clarity) and toyota (mirai) did not catch on.

All the pro's of electric cars without the battery cancer and you can refuel within minutes. Only exhaust is pure water.

I'm also wondering where all the electricity is going to come from should every current fossil car be replaced with an electric one and they are all plugged in at night. Many ppl don't seem to understand that we're talking +- 100KW for a single car with decent range.

Cost. The cost of maintaining a fuel infrastructure is stupid expensive due to the fact it's not common, and the proccessing is costly too.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Electric cars may seem more environmentally friendly but you're just burning the gas elsewhere and although the car may not have many emissions, the power plant sure does.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Always remember that electric cars are NOT 0-emissions. The electricity must be generated somewhere and right now, most of it comes from fossil fuels. They may be more efficient but they are not a standalone solution to pollution - the change must come at the source.

14 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Yeah I think that they need to have some way to charge your car for like 500 miles in 5-10 mins for it to be concerned as a car that could actually be practical because unlike truckers people don't take 30 min break normally during road trips

That could be solved by having preloaded batteries at gas stations to swap out with the one in your car. They already do this with methane and gpl if I'm not mistaken. It would still be slower than with a normal car but faster than just charging them on the spot.

23 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Electric cars have been around for roughly 100 years. Not much has changed about them.

No large company has made a significant investment in them until recently. What we had before were proof of concepts and experimental one-off vehicles that were intended as publicity stunts or for very specific situations.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, GoldenLag said:

Nuclear power is a reasonable stopgap to achieve greener energy in some areas. Thorium reactors mitigate some of the issues with Uranium, but there are few tl none thorium reactors around the world. The waste from thorium has a much shorter halflife and will be safer in a shorter amount of time. Most reactors these days are Uranium salt water reactors. The change to thorium would take a lot of time and the interest of a lot of countries to change. Its more likely we will skip to better solution than this rather than this stop gap.

Edit: we would also need tl produce fuel in Thorium rich countries like India and Norway which is an issue of its own. Due to shipping

The only problem is that you can't turn off a nuclear reactor. Once it's turned on, you either use the energy or seal it and hope it doesn't explode. Thorium couldn't reasonably be used to substitute Uranium reactors because (aside from the cost of the new installation) you'd be left with a bunch of unused reactors slowly burning and producing waste just as before but without getting any energy from them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Manual gearboxes have absolutely no advantages over automatic ones, unless the automatic is poorly made which in some cars it is.

The only reason they still exist is because they're cheap to produce.

First off, i am no Car Expert, but i am a huge fan of Racing. If this is a the case, then how come almost every major racing event in the world uses Manual Transmissions... the biggest advantage is that any driver can get more control of their car.

Anyhow, my thoughts on E-Cars is simple. The Batteries are very dangerous at the moment, and you are limited to certain routes based on recharging stations. Give the product 5-10 years to mature, then we can have another discussion about E-Cars. :)

Tesla Shuts down battery swap program for superchargers.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-shuts-down-battery-swap-program-for-superchargers/

I am still a fan of quick battery swaps where you do not own the battery and only pay a small lease on the battery pack and the cost of the electricity used.

The issue I have seen so far is an overly complex and facility expensive battery swap process.  It should be 3 minutes max to swap the batteries with simplified automation.  I would like to see more of a power tool quick swap design with the motors in the wheels and cartridge where the engine used to be.  

Early on liquid lithium-ion like your cell phone and later swapped with solid core batteries with a quicker and exponentially greater charge.  

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/18/bmw-teams-up-with-solid-power-to-develop-solid-state-batteries-for-cars/

Large semis tractor trucks could hang the batteries where their large fuel tanks now hang and be swapped out quickly.

Note, you could still charge them from fast charger and with braking re-generative charging.

City busses could have smaller quick swap drive through battery changers.  They cannot be confined to a building.

Think of a bus stop with a couple of box structures and an arm swapping them from the top of the roof.

The batteries could lighten the draw on the grid.

This just requires a little more imagination and initiatives. 

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The only problem is that you can't turn off a nuclear reactor. Once it's turned on, you either use the energy or seal it and hope it doesn't explode. Thorium couldn't reasonably be used to substitute Uranium reactors because (aside from the cost of the new installation) you'd be left with a bunch of unused reactors slowly burning and producing waste just as before but without getting any energy from them.

the thing is that Thorium isnt Fissile its fertile, therefor you can take out the small amount of Plutonium used to in it to effectivly turn it off. Its not perfect, but the possibility is there. There are also pruposed small retrofits to old salt-water reactors making them able to convert them relativly cheaply. And if the Thorium fuel is priced well, many would jump on it as Uranium is more expencive than coal per kilowatthour. The differnce between it being fertile is that it need a second substance to operate. meaning you could dump the Thorium into a safe chamber in case of dissaster