Please don't do ads like this.

Thinker_145

I am completely aware of the fact that everyone wants to make money and that's totally fine. I am also aware of the fact that I can just stop watching the content. But that's not what I intend to do and I am just here to give my opinion on something. LTT is pretty much what got me into YouTube and it still remains my favourite channel albeit with a major gripe. 

I understand the need to integrate ads inside videos but what I find really unprofessional is when an ad starts just as the content ends and you are not even sure if this is part of content or an ad for a second or 2. You know I am talking about the "and speaking of which" type of ads. I have also had situations where I thought the ad had started but in fact it had not. It just negatively impacts the viewing experience and really comes off as cheap and unprofessional. I mean I get it that from the point of view of the advertiser this is an ingenious way to make the viewers know about your product but from the point of view of the content creator it's terrible in my opinion. 

The ads that you guys generally run at the start of a video seem perfectly fine to me(even this is sadly changing to the abrupt ads) and are generally pleasing to watch as well. I am not saying that there shouldn't be an ad in the end but please not this way. And yes I made a profile just to make this thread. 

i7 6700K @ 4.6Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+ - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp - 32 GB(16x2) DDR 4 @ 3200Mhz - CM HAF 922 - Samsung RU7100 43" - Sennheiser HD 598 powered by ASUS Xonar DG - Edifier S350DB - Logitech G603 - Razer Goliathus Speed Edition - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Xbox One S Controller - Windows 10 Pro

*Me watching LTT smartwatch videos.

Why the ad is so long? where's the content? Ohh nevermind

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

33 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

*Me watching LTT smartwatch videos.

Why the ad is so long? where's the content? Ohh nevermind

Yeah, Sponsored Videos are not the same as Videos with an ad spot from a sponsor

If a video says "SPONSORED BY X" at the very beginning, you can expect the entire video to be an ad.

Same as with that "contactless payment" video sponsored by VISA, as if contactless payment methods were anything new. Must have taken Linus some real effort to be enthusiastic about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't really see the problem. Yes there is an ad at the end of a video and no you don't get a 2 weeks notice and a big red alert message saying an add will be coming up but i find the ads easy to distinguish from the actual content. The ads are for the same product a lot of the time like TunnelBear and Synergy so its easy to know that when they talk about that, that it's an ad. Also, the very obvious segues that are announced as being a segue to an ad make it obvious its an ad and not the content. 
The predictable placement of the ads also "adds" (pun intended) to the distinction between the content and the add.  

1 hour ago, Klemmbrett said:

Why do you complain you get top quality videos for free and people are working on this and want to get payed the days where youtube ads where enough are long gone. I think its totally fine what they do. 

Did I say that there should be no ads? Maybe you should read the post before commenting. And mind you LTT is not the only tech channel on YouTube but they have by far the most intrusive ads. There are channels bigger than LTT and smaller but no one is doing ads like this. 

i7 6700K @ 4.6Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+ - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp - 32 GB(16x2) DDR 4 @ 3200Mhz - CM HAF 922 - Samsung RU7100 43" - Sennheiser HD 598 powered by ASUS Xonar DG - Edifier S350DB - Logitech G603 - Razer Goliathus Speed Edition - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Xbox One S Controller - Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, Thinker_145 said:

Did I say that there should be no ads? Maybe you should read the post before commenting. And mind you LTT is not the only tech channel on YouTube but they have by far the most intrusive ads. There are channels bigger than LTT and smaller but no one is doing ads like this. 

I read it and there other channels doing the same thing. I don`t have a problem with this video about a contactless payment  gloves i found it actually entertaining because i was thinking to myself what a pointless shit or what happens if you lose your glove or that sticker falls off. And if if the video was pure shit still VISA pays them a good cut of money which will make future videos possible. And its not as bad as that every 2nd video is a payed ad actually cant remember such videos at all. And most time when there ad´s there at the end of a video or just at the start. Its still up to you if you can still enjoy the channel. I will for sure cause i know the reason why it has to be there. And what is so bad about some ads about a vpn bear or a store where you can buy razors. 

7 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Why do you complain you get top quality videos for free and people are working on this and want to get payed the days where youtube ads where enough are long gone. I think its totally fine what they do. 

He's not even complaining about the ads, just how they're integrated.

I understand the need to integrate ads inside videos

And I completely agree with him. Sometimes how the ads are blended into the video can make it seem like it's part of the video, and sometimes it's awkward placement. 

On 17/12/2017 at 8:55 PM, TetraSky said:

Yeah, Sponsored Videos are not the same as Videos with an ad spot from a sponsor

If a video says "SPONSORED BY X" at the very beginning, you can expect the entire video to be an ad.

Same as with that "contactless payment" video sponsored by VISA, as if contactless payment methods were anything new. Must have taken Linus some real effort to be enthusiastic about it.

Somehow i failed to notice that i just click the title without reading it properly :P

Cause linus is a master of clickbait

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Maybe post example? I know they haven't always been like that and usually its pretty clear where ad starts.

I agree. I've never been confused about when an ad starts (granted, I now am on floatplane, but still I don't remember any unclear ads in the year+ that I watched LTT before I got floatplane).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I don't watch many LTT vids these days because I find them not as informative and more pandering to 12 year olds with his more faked personality, don't get me wrong many are still great however I prefer der8auer, Gamers Nexus and the likes.

Ads and how they are transitioned into content is a touchy subject, but with the money made from adverts becoming less and less from all different platforms creators have to be more "creative" in the means of how they introduce these ad spots to get the most viewership. I have no problem with ads.

20 hours ago, Thinker_145 said:

I understand the need to integrate ads inside videos but what I find really unprofessional is when an ad starts just as the content ends and you are not even sure if this is part of content or an ad for a second or 2.

...how important is your time that you feel robbed of 1 or 2 seconds because realizing it's an ad? there's enough of a transition between the end of the content and the start of the ad that it should be obvious.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Free content, it's hard to complain. However, my issue with the ads is that I think they could be done better. Whether it be the length or the writing, delivery, or placement, I do think there is room for improvement.

It’s just my opinion but the way ltt does their ads at the end is actually courteous. You may get a few seconds at the beginning eg. This video is brought to you by ... and at the end. Go watch cable tv out of the 20 minutes of actual show there are at least 2 ad breaks containing more than a few ads and you pay for that service. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 4:01 AM, Cla55ifi3xd said:

It’s just my opinion but the way ltt does their ads at the end is actually courteous. You may get a few seconds at the beginning eg. This video is brought to you by ... and at the end. Go watch cable tv out of the 20 minutes of actual show there are at least 2 ad breaks containing more than a few ads and you pay for that service. 

Ridiculous comparison. You compare LTT with other YouTube channels not cable TV.

This video is a good example of how bad their advertising can be. 2 ads in a 5 minute video and both are actually part of the video rather than being separated ads. This is just greedy behaviour they are not the only entity covering CES. 

I'm fine with ads as long as they arent for crap watch grass grow mobile games. Channels that do those are quite annoying.

CPU - i7 6700HQ @ 3.50GHz GPU - GTX 965m - 16 GB DDR4 - 500 GB SSD

For about 750 USD

Laptop Model - Cyberpower Tracer 15

On 12/17/2017 at 6:30 AM, Thinker_145 said:

There are channels bigger than LTT

who? I really want to know who you think is a bigger tech channel and has this large of a team.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

35 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Would you say you'd be okay with a car that has a paint job that look like this?

f1-british-gp-2017-sebastian-vettel-ferr

There's more ads on that dude's helmet than the entire car!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

i mean, its not obnoxious (sometimes could be funny), the ads aren't that long. besides LTT have done it so much it should be predictable by now

also you don't have to watch the ads you know

14 hours ago, Thinker_145 said:

Ridiculous comparison. You compare LTT with other YouTube channels not cable TV.

This video is a good example of how bad their advertising can be. 2 ads in a 5 minute video and both are actually part of the video rather than being separated ads. This is just greedy behaviour they are not the only entity covering CES. 

Simple solution that I've been doing for years. Skip to 5 seconds in when you click the video. Click out of the video when the content ends. No ads.

The ads have basically become memes at this point. Cringy segways ftw lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Or you could be like Gordon Ramsey ...

'Ive been sponsored by >company that gave him< these apples, BUT THEYRE FOOKIN CRAP! DONT ANYBODY USE THEM' *throws sponsored apples away and uses better apples instead.

Linus is my fetish.