Please don't do ads like this.

Thinker_145
20 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

who? I really want to know who you think is a bigger tech channel and has this large of a team.

There are channels with a bigger audience. The size of the team should not result in lower profit because they churn out videos faster than any other tech channel because of the team. If the team makes their profit per view lower then it's their inefficiency, the team is supposed to increase that. They probably have the highest total monthly views of any tech channel and that's because of the team so don't tell me they need more ads for the bigger team.

i7 6700K @ 4.6Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+ - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp - 32 GB(16x2) DDR 4 @ 3200Mhz - CM HAF 922 - Samsung RU7100 43" - Sennheiser HD 598 powered by ASUS Xonar DG - Edifier S350DB - Logitech G603 - Razer Goliathus Speed Edition - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Xbox One S Controller - Windows 10 Pro

20 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Would you say you'd be okay with a car that has a paint job that look like this?

f1-british-gp-2017-sebastian-vettel-ferr

For my personal car no but for a sport it doesn't bother me in the least. Are you really comparing that with being thrown tunnelbear in your face out of nowhere?

i7 6700K @ 4.6Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+ - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp - 32 GB(16x2) DDR 4 @ 3200Mhz - CM HAF 922 - Samsung RU7100 43" - Sennheiser HD 598 powered by ASUS Xonar DG - Edifier S350DB - Logitech G603 - Razer Goliathus Speed Edition - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Xbox One S Controller - Windows 10 Pro

16 hours ago, megamawman said:

Simple solution that I've been doing for years. Skip to 5 seconds in when you click the video. Click out of the video when the content ends. No ads.

Most videos don't start with an ad. There is an intro then the first ad, then the meat of the content followed by a second ad that can sometimes be as long as 60 seconds. I don't really mind the first ad although recently they have become annoying as well. I just hate the way they do the second ad "and speaking of which". I don't specifically recall a video but there have been occasions when he says something on the turn of "and speaking of which" where you think the ad is about to start but in fact he is still talking about a product and just said it in a way that looks similar to the way the ad starts. Maybe it's just me who finds this particular style of ads really distasteful. 

This is how I read this thread

"I use adblock and i'm pissed off because I can't block ads that are baked into the video. I hate ads, they killed me parents"

This is the only reason I can think of as to why you are so pissed off and opposed to preroll ads

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 minutes ago, Thinker_145 said:

For my personal car no but for a sport it doesn't bother me in the least. Are you really comparing that with being thrown tunnelbear in your face out of nowhere?

but.  you dont have a choice when you look at that car but to be assaulted by ads.  its the same thing.  you just dont see it that way for some reason.  because social conditioning.  if your gonna get mad about ads.....get mad ABOUT ALL THE ADS.  not just the ones that displease you.

I also want to add that your car has ads on it already.... what do you think the manufacturer puts their logo on it for.... and the model name, for example.... you literally drive an ad.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

5 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

but.  you dont have a choice when you look at that car but to be assaulted by ads.  its the same thing.  you just dont see it that way for some reason.  because social conditioning.  if your gonna get mad about ads.....get mad ABOUT ALL THE ADS.  not just the ones that displease you.

I also want to add that your car has ads on it already.... what do you think the manufacturer puts their logo on it for.... and the model name, for example.... you literally drive an ad.

There is a thing called intrusive ads. I don't use adblock on my phone and I don't find the ads in the YouTube app to be annoying. Never did I say that there should be no ads. They are a vital source of sustenance for a lot of what I find entertaining. There is no reason why I should get mad at all the ads just because you say so. I don't even find most other tech channel ads to be annoying apart from a few. 

Your analogy about the car is so ridiculous. It's a brand I like and have no issue with having it's logo on my car. 

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Why do you think they have those stickers in the first place?

Why do you think youtube channels run ads in the first place?

If it doesn't bother you in sports it shouldn't bother you on youtube (at least THIS MUCH you're showing so far ._.)

lol dude I know they are ads but they are not intrusive on the viewing experience. How is this difficult to understand?

I can't think of a sport with intrusive ads. TV channels are probably the worst at it and one of the reasons I don't watch much TV at all. 

On 12/17/2017 at 6:00 AM, Thinker_145 said:

unprofessional

Yeah there are lots of things unprofessional. Click bait, video thumbnail with dumb faces, the over enthusiasm which does not look natural to the viewer, the acting is not natural at all. Its hard to explain.

A quarter of this video is an ad. Yes a quarter. 

11 minutes ago, Thinker_145 said:

(video examples)

I haven't watched him in a while and I can say he has really changed(seems more like an actor, you know unnatural, forced, (yes I know they are/want to be an 'Entertaiment' company, etc))

Thanks for them...

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

seems more like an actor, you know unnatural, forced

I couldnt agree with you more, that is a good way of putting it. I just cant watch him anymore. Its odd when its been so long that you havent watched a Linus flick, then you go back and watch one. LOL its hillariously funny, 110% cringe worthy!

Welcome to marketing, it's just extremely less subtle on LTT.  In watching LTT ads, I'm wondering if they intentionally make the segway bad just to tip off "here's the real end of the video"

Google, Facebook, Amazon... they all make their profits off marketing. 

It's similar to TV... you get ads to pay for costs. Or you can pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus and get ad free. 

Our blatant integration of sponsors and shamelessness about monetizing our content is a big part of the reason we've been able to expand our team and grow at the rate that we have over the last 5 years.

vjBCTNN.png

Not everyone will agree with the creative choices we've made, and not every video is going to please everyone, but by and large things are going well.

With that said, we do take complaints like this seriously, and we'll keep this feedback in mind for the future.

How come the ads changed from pre-recorded shown after the intro, to built in before the intro?

I personally like the ads in the LTT and associated channel videos.  I would have thought anyone who regularly watches the videos knows where the ads are and can make a decision about whether or not to watch them.  To me it is clear almost immediately when the true content ends and the ad begins. 

I also raise that the ads included in the LTT videos have informed me about potential products that I may be interested in; for example the first Squarespace ad I saw was exactly at the time that I was looking for a website creation service, and assisted me.  The only thing I would like seen changed about the ads is a larger variety of relevant advertisers (I realise however that this is probably not possible to change as finding advertisers is likely quite hard). 

On 1/10/2018 at 5:15 AM, VegetableStu said:

Why do you think they have those stickers in the first place?

Why do you think youtube channels run ads in the first place?

If it doesn't bother you in sports it shouldn't bother you on youtube (at least THIS MUCH you're showing so far ._.)

That's a terrible analogy, because the ads on the cars don't interrupt the actual content.

Those ads on the car would be like if Linus worse an iFixit shirt, but had no other ads in the video, and didn't acknowledge the shirt in any way.

You are basically saying "if you are OK with product placements then you should be OK with literal commercial breaks in the middle of your movie you're watching at the cinema". It's apples and oranges.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Our blatant integration of sponsors and shamelessness about monetizing our content is a big part of the reason we've been able to expand our team and grow at the rate that we have over the last 5 years.

<image>

Not everyone will agree with the creative choices we've made, and not every video is going to please everyone, but by and large things are going well.

With that said, we do take complaints like this seriously, and we'll keep this feedback in mind for the future.

Viewer: I think the quality of the content has gone down.

You: But we make more money this way! Things are going very well in terms of revenue!

It's so sad to see the once humble Linus who asked "is it OK if we turn on video ads? Please vote for it" now justify any and all criticism by showing how much more revenue you make.

I totally get why you are doing it, but it's sad to see someone throw away their dignity and pride for money.

On 17.12.2017 at 2:12 PM, Klemmbrett said:

Why do you complain you get top quality videos for free and people are working on this and want to get payed the days where youtube ads where enough are long gone. I think its totally fine what they do. 

You must be joking. This is true for small YouTubers but certainly not for the big ones like Linus. 

52 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is Linus's torso the product or is the video the product?

Your argument makes no sense.

The video is the product, just like the video/live view of the cars driving is the product, not the paint job on the chassis.

52 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Semantics. Ads which are sponsored placements which are sponsored placements that are ads which do sponsored placements like they're ads which do ads like they're sponsored placements. Execution is a completely other thing entirely.

This reads like the ramblings of a madman. What are you trying to say?

Look, it's simple.

The ads on the cars does not interrupt the content and your enjoyment while you are watching them drive around. The cars doesn't stop in the middle of the track and the camera zooms in to show all the ads on them.

The ads on the cars are just like product placements in movies. The movie does not get paused to show some ads and then continues (at least not in good movies).

In Linus' video you are watching it and then all of a sudden it switches to an ad, which you have to wait out and then the content continues.

Saying that if you think one is OK you also have to think the second one is OK is completely illogical. You're comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not gonna tell you that you should dislike Linus or anything, but your attempt to make someone look like a hypocrite is laughable at best.

Ads on racing cars and the ads in Linus' videos are two entirely different things.

Hey OP. Subscribe to floatplane and you won't have the ads. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

The ads I can live with, I am a grown ass man and understand how the scrubber works. What super pisses me off is the click bait titles. I know this has been covered before and for the youtube channel I get it but even in floatplane - like, I already paid you money, I'm going to click the damn video, just give me an informative title not crap filled with capital letters and suggestion

/rant

I don't mind ads. 

In fact, I love them because they mean we get to watch content for free.

5 hours ago, IronSoldier said:

Hey OP. Subscribe to floatplane and you won't have the ads. 

That's not even true and you know it is.

TBH, as long as the ads are at the END of the video or topic at hand I'm totally fine with it. For videos from linus, it just tells me that the video is done.

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Ltt has gone greedy!!! Ever since ltt got big, its been downhill. They used to make good content, years ago.. Now they have 2 adds in a 3min short vid..Made a topic about this in offtopic too before i found this1..Sad, very sad.

edit: just like OP, i made my profile here just to make my topic :)

Edited by Naata
forgot stuff