I'm tired of Linus giving people horrible building advice.

minervx

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

Don't buy a premium cooler for a CPU that can't overclock.

GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

Good air cooler > flashy RGB budget liquid cooler

$20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

Forget a gaming chair.  Get a chair with good support.

Forget a gaming headset.  Get headphones with good audio quality.

A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Can you link me a video where he claims you need a i7 for gaming above 60 fps?

I don't go to Jayz his forum complaining that you don't need watercooling for a good gaming pc.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

I agree with the hardware part. People say my system is weak; I reply by telling them that it serves me completely fine.

As for the chair part, I use a generic Staples chair.

I personally use a gaming headset because it's more convenient and I'm not an audiophile.

I use a mechanical keyboard not because it makes me "win more", but because I type so fucking much every day I need a good keyboard.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Can you link me a video where he claims you need a i7 for gaming above 60 fps?

I don't go you Jayz his forum complaining that you don't need watercooling for a good gaming pc.

It's not one of his videos, but his videos in general.  In most of his builds, he always adds i7's, 32-64 gb ram, and so on, creating the conception to a lot of his viewers that this is standard, when it's really just marketing.  

are there people who need coffee lake i7s?  absolutely.  will most people who want good gaming performance and general productivity benefit at all from an i7?  not really.

someone who doesn't know a lot about computers and goes to linus's channel for insights is going to get the wrong impression.

more is not always better.  some of the pc builds i've seen on here are like my cousin buying an $800 iphone with the world's best processor just to look at facebook.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, minervx said:

It's not one of his videos, but his videos in general.  In most of his builds, he always adds i7's, 32-64 gb ram, and so on, creating the conception to a lot of his viewers that this is standard, when it's really just marketing.  

someone who doesn't know a lot about computers and goes to linus's channel for insights is going to get the wrong impression.

Those videos with that kind of hardware are created because he does have way to much overpowered hardware.

You see him joking around it even in his videos, but so far i see he never claims you need that kind of hardware for gaming.

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

He actually has said quite many times that good air-coolers perform pretty close to liquid-coolers and thus liquid-coolers are good when you want to show it off and air-coolers are the more cost-effective choice.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

There are enough channels out there who do it different and that is the whole purpose of youtube, try to be unique instead of like every other channel do Ryzen builds under the 800 USD etc.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

He actually has said quite many times that good air-coolers perform pretty close to liquid-coolers and thus liquid-coolers are good when you want to show it off and air-coolers are the more cost-effective choice.

liquid coolers are also nice if you have mega tall ram :)

but a good noctua cooler will almost always be a better pure value/performance option

11 minutes ago, minervx said:

1. You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

2. GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

3. 8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

I've got a couple of issues with these:
1. It's not entirely true, you needed an i7 for any GPU equivalent/faster to a GTX 1070/980Ti to avoid bottlenecking, this has changed with Coffee Lake bringing 6-cores to mainstream i5s, but it remains true for any quad-core i5.

2. Vega 64? ^_^ Pair it with an overclocked i9 and you need a 1000W PSU :P

3. Sadly, not if you want to max out new titles and want to have stuff running in the background.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Cruorzy said:

You see him joking around it even in his videos, but so far i see he never claims you need that kind of hardware for gaming.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I agree with both comments, but I'm looking at this on the whole.  If the fact that he does recommend practical advice at time solves the issue, we wouldn't have so many people on this forum proposing uneven build lists.

let's be honest.  nobody is born thinking that they need a liquid cooler.  they get the idea from somewhere that an expensive liquid cooling setup will meaningfully improve their performance.

and yes, linus does have a few videos saying that what they do for plain fun is not the same what they recommend, but for every one of those practical videos, there 3 or 4 overkill rgb build videos sponsored by corsair's 32gb of ram.

You mean their 500$ PC to compare against the Xbox One X? I tried finding on the video where they give the PC specs again but I wasn't finding it... I do remember it was an i3 7100 with a 1050 Ti right? like for real, get a g4560 and a h110 so you can put a 1060 on it instead and done the PC for the very same 500$ would destroy the Xbox... but no, LTT always does the shittiest "budget builds"... I don't even want to remember that Be Quiet! promoted one...

LTT is only good to learn how to put the parts together for the newbies, not to get a list of hardware that offers good value.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, minervx said:

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

Don't buy a premium cooler for a CPU that can't overclock.

GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

$20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

Forget a gaming chair.  Get a chair with good support.

Forget a gaming headset.  Get headphones with good audio quality.

A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

Whenever Linus does something that's "dumb" and probably shouldn't be copied he ALWAYS points it out VERY CLEARLY in his videos.

It's simple, people spending $2K on a build were always gonna spend $2K on a build and are probably buying these parts because they want them.

James May owns a Ferrari despite the fact a VW Lupo does the exact same job, is it Mays fault that people buys Ferraris instead of Volkswagen's?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I disagree with the 8GB RAM part cos I don't want to annihilate my SSD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I've got a couple of issues with these:
1. It's not entirely true, you needed an i7 for any GPU equivalent/faster to a GTX 1070/980Ti to avoid bottlenecking, this has changed with Coffee Lake bringing 6-cores to mainstream i5s, but it remains true for any quad-core i5.

2. Vega 64? ^_^ Pair it with an overclocked i9 and you need a 1000W PSU :P

3. Sadly, not if you want to max out new titles and want to have stuff running in the background.

3) bottlenecking is only an issue if your monitor can display the information in the first place.  most people don't have 144 hz monitors to begin with.  and context is also key.  for those with 4k monitors, having a stronger gpu than cpu isn't a bottleneck because you aren't shooting for more than 60 frames anyway.  i wish people would look at context before assuming that just because 10 builds they saw on youtube have an i7 that an i7 will automatically benefit them

2) i know its sarcasm but there's no reason for most people to buy a vega 64 over a 1070.

3) which new titles?  the occasional poorly optimized game like pubg?  what stuff in the background?  are people seriously going to be rendering a video with premiere pro while playing witcher 3?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

It's simple, people spending $2K on a build were always gonna spend $2K on a build and are probably buying these parts because they want them.

The thing about it in here I believe is that Linus usually gives some darn bad advises on how to spend this $2k as a whole, like why get the best motherboard possible to avoid VRM issues say the Asus Hero X, with a super overkill 280mm or more AiO to overclock the i5 8600k for gaming if getting the i7 8700 on the cheapest possible micro-ATX z370 will get you superior gaming performance for the same or cheaper pricing? it is that kind of thing I like saying, LTT does not really go full in-depth on what could truly be the best value for whatever money you have on hand, it usually advises quite bad pathways that are bloody expensive for nothing but some addition on aesthetics?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, minervx said:

3) which new titles?  the occasional poorly optimized game like pubg?  what stuff in the background?  are people seriously going to be rendering a video with premiere pro while playing witcher 3?

Chrome, Discord, Skype, CUE or Synapse, Steam, Widnows Background Tasks

These all take ram in the background. Thats 27% of my 16GBuMhxVn5.png

Well... I didn't know we were supposed to take Linus that seriously. Let's see, I have a 700 USD build that is pretty much my dream setup, but nearly all of that was spent on things that would last me a long time and through college. I've got a Ryzen 5 1600 because I edit videos, 16GB of ram so that I can play video games comfortably, a 19 inch 5:4 monitor because it doesn't matter to me, and a 750Ti because I don't need that much power for 720p gaming. And the thing about 8GB of RAM, my old PC, Infinity (In signature), had 8GB, yet it kept using the page file when gaming. When I took it away, games like fallout 4 wouldn't even start because of Windows 10's conservative memory management.

End rant.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Whenever Linus does something that's "dumb" and probably shouldn't be copied he ALWAYS points it out VERY CLEARLY in his videos.

James May owns a Ferrari despite the fact a VW Lupo does the exact same job, is it Mays fault that people buys Ferraris instead of Volkswagen's?

That's the thing though.  It's the logic part of the brain versus the emotional part.  Linus does recommend practical advice a fraction of the time, but he's spending the majority of the time marketing high-end products to a demographic of viewers which largely do not have high incomes.  A lot of his viewers are young high school and college students. 

Linus has the right to do this.  It's a free economy, and I hope nobody is suggesting I'm arguing that he shouldn't have the right to do this.  But the undeniable fact is that he is influencing people to make purchases based on aesthetic rather than actual performance.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

The thing about it in here I believe is that Linus usually gives some darn bad advises on how to spend this $2k as a whole, like why get the best motherboard possible to avoid VRM issues say the Asus Hero X, with a super overkill 280mm or more AiO to overclock the i5 8600k for gaming if getting the i7 8700 on the cheapest possible micro-ATX z370 will get you superior gaming performance for the same or cheaper pricing? it is that kind of thing I like saying, LTT does not really go full in-depth on what could truly be the best value for whatever money you have on hand, it usually advises quite bad pathways that are bloody expensive for nothing but some addition on aesthetics?

Nor does Linus call those types of Videos build guides either, he assumes a certain level of intelligence from his audience, like for example when someone with a literal warehouse full of components uses a $400 motherboard on a $200 CPU it doesn't mean that's what people should buy.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

seems like your just salty that the 8700k dumpsters on ryzen tbh

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, Armakar said:

seems like your just salty that the 8700k dumpsters on ryzen tbh

I'm not against the i7-8700k.  It just frustrates me that people who don't know much about tech will automatically improve performance in every scenario.  Most people don't game at 144 Hz and most people don't actually edit professional-grade creative content.

Why bother sir?

You are adding more problem to your life by making this thread.

Was it worth it?
If he gives you a stupid advice or u dislike his videos press that dislike button.

I already unsub Him cause most of his recent videos is like just for an easy money to fulfill their deadline and i am also tired of his lawl content.

I miss when they gives a good unbiased reviews videos like in the past.

The only linus channel i still subscribed is Techquickie cause its useful and informative.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

That's the thing though.  It's the logic part of the brain versus the emotional part.  Linus does recommend practical advice a fraction of the time, but he's spending the majority of the time marketing high-end products to a demographic of viewers which largely do not have high incomes.  A lot of his viewers are young high school and college students. 

Linus has the right to do this.  It's a free economy, and I hope nobody is suggesting I'm arguing that he shouldn't have the right to do this.  But the undeniable fact is that he is influencing people to make purchases based on aesthetic rather than actual performance.

Nope, he's pulling components that are available to him off the shelf in order to get his job done. I mean do you honestly believe Intel are sending him review samples of Celerons? Nvidia are sending him 1050s? Nope, he gets sent the best of the best because that's what he reviews and that what the manufacturers want him reviewing.

The side effect is his inventory is 95% high end and only 5% mid or low end and he's not exactly gonna buy in cheaper components just for one video when he has a warehouse full of existing stock.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

One would hope so... but then you see all the children with actual builds featuring stuff like the i7 7740x or i3 7350k and then you realized how much of an issue his influence can be :P

Then again shame on whoever only uses entertainment videos as research for parts to buy.

Personal Desktop":