I'm tired of Linus giving people horrible building advice.

minervx
13 minutes ago, minervx said:

I don't buy that argument one bit.  There's nothing stopping him from making budget builds based on used parts (which are generally within the typical used price range).  Except for the fact that he gets paid for advertising MSRP products.

By the way, budget parts prices differ HUGELY.

In Belgium we seem to have more expensive used parts, no bargains to be had here. (For 99.3% of the listings)

If you really want some used build guides, just watch scrapyard wars.

It even shows you the process on how negotiate, something that isn't shown often. 

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

25 minutes ago, minervx said:

I don't buy that argument one bit.  There's nothing stopping him from making budget builds based on used parts (which are generally within the typical used price range).  Except for the fact that he gets paid for advertising MSRP products.

There is nothing wrong with being sponsored.  I'm not calling him a sell out at all.    But people should just be honest that he does this instead of saying that he would do X, Y and Z if he could.

The bit at 1:05 is relevant. Also except for the fact he literally did an actual build guide last week for machines at $500, $1,000 & $2,000 price points offering real and sensible suggestions for the best bang for buck in each category.

18 minutes ago, minervx said:

This post is about building advice and not about personal egoes or anything.

Should a person who won't benefit from 16 GB buy 16 GB just because of whether I have it or not?

You keep saying this yet you fail to provide any evidence to backup your claim that Linus is issuing building advice.

The majority of the time he isn't and he always clearly points out he isn't. In fact you could almost say "do as I say not as I do" is a catchphrase of his.

Why are you so butthurt over what other people buy anyway?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

honestly im way more bumned out about how casual he has become. i am basically only here for his crazy ideas. like whole room watercooling. mineral oil pc and i even found the crazy server setup stuff very interesting but lately i feel like its just one phone/heaphone review after another only interupted by another razer blade/random notebook review. maybe im not the main target group but i couldnt care less about how the the new blade now has a touchpad 1" wider or whatever it is. i miss some creative and crazy projects.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I can game on my i5-6500 at well above 60 FPS (In most titles).

And AMD's Ryzen sits at the same single threaded performance level, so they're viable too.

1 hour ago, minervx said:

There is nothing wrong with being sponsored.  I'm not calling him a sell out at all.    But people should just be honest that he does this instead of saying that he would do X, Y and Z if he could.

Watch black friday pc builds where he showed different new pc builds for different rezolutions. I believe it was there he pointed out that his budget build guides on used hardware had made the hardware he pointed out, rise in price due to his recommendation

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Watch black friday pc builds where i showed different new pc builds for different rezolutions. I believe it was there he pointed out that his budget build guides on used hardware had made the hardware he pointed out, rise in price due to his recommendation

True, after everyone became aware of the Pentium being decent at gaming it became a lot more expensive.
I imagine if Linus says something manufactures & OEM's will adjust pricing if they see profit.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Then again shame on whoever only uses entertainment videos as research for parts to buy.

Agree.  One should always use more sources when planning out projects like computer builds.

2 hours ago, Ryois said:

Chrome, Discord, Skype, CUE or Synapse, Steam, Widnows Background Tasks

These all take ram in the background. Thats 27% of my 16GBuMhxVn5.png

Yep, Windows is a RAM hog.

While me on my TR with 16GB of RAM with a tmpfs mount for temporary file holding by using 8GB of that RAM for speeding up.  Only using around 2.5GB, that with Firefox open with a few tabs, 75% usage of my CPU by BOINC projects, and one GPU folding.

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

honestly im way more bumned out about how casual he has become. i am basically only here for his crazy ideas. like whole room watercooling. mineral oil pc and i even found the crazy server setup stuff very interesting but lately i feel like its just one phone/heaphone review after another only interupted by another razer blade/random notebook review. maybe im not the main target group but i couldnt care less about how the the new blade now has a touchpad 1" wider or whatever it is. i miss some creative and crazy projects.

Go to OCN, TPU, or some of the other forum boards for those crazy stuff.  The ideas Linus have done are not new at all.  The crazy server stuff is a yawn to me (big time folders and boincers make that look tame).

I remember seeing one chap on OCN dump is Xbox 360 in mineral oil and run it (yes, there where nutties back then who where water cooling and other crazy stuff with consoles).

Think I remember coming across one dude who used pipes he put into the cold ground then hooked to several computers to cool them off.  ...-C, yeah negative Celsius temperatures on all the computers.   Talk about some nutty setups.  Or, peeps making ducts to pull in cold Winter air to cool their computers.

Even seen people de bezel monitors, delid CPUs, hard mod GPUs, cross flash BIOS on GPUs, make their own mini monitors out of iPad screens, and many other nutty stuff across forum boards.  So, if you want nutty stuff like that, browse around of the variety of tech forum boards that exist.

Want something neat to look up, research pilters and phase coolers.  That should show you some crazy setups.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

6 hours ago, minervx said:

more is not always better.  some of the pc builds i've seen on here are like my cousin buying an $800 iphone with the world's best processor just to look at facebook.

This has nothing to do with Linus, this is our fucking culture.  Consumer culture in the western hemisphere has always told us that more is better.  Most of the world is using a $700+ phone to just look at Facebook, so why in the Hell are you roasting LTT for it?  This is nothing new.

On the flip side, some of this is not as cut and dry as you say.  If, for example, you want to game in VR, suddenly the number of threads/cores you have matters a whole hell of a lot, and an i7 seems more like a requirement.  Just an example.

7 hours ago, minervx said:

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

1. You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

2. Don't buy a premium cooler for a CPU that can't overclock.

3. GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

Good air cooler > flashy RGB budget liquid cooler

4. $20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

5. 8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

6. Forget a gaming chair.  Get a chair with good support.

7. Forget a gaming headset.  Get headphones with good audio quality.

8. A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

1. Probably.

2. Maybe I prefer to be able to hear what I'm playing or listening to, instead of hearing the stock fan. And yes stock fans have gotten a bit better, but they're still jet engines compared to a proper fan.

3. VEGA.

4. Look at 2.

5. Nope.

6. Agreed.

7. Agreed.

8. Agreed.

It's not one of his videos, but his videos in general.  In most of his builds, he always adds i7's, 32-64 gb ram, and so on, creating the conception to a lot of his viewers that this is standard, when it's really just marketing.  

I usually don't defend Linus, but this is just absurd. Have you even watched his videos? He has stated multiple times (look at 2 Amazon build guides), that people have been buying i7 while he says you should pick i5 for gaming.

Why does he add i7? Because he can (and they are better for gaming, fact). He also stated a billion times they add overkill components because they can and that you don't need them.

However, if you have money for i7, I'll always recommend it over i5 for one single reason. Higher minimum FPS and more stable FPS in general if you want to put it like that.

A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

This is a far more complicated topic since we're talking about mechanical keyboards, and those, due to subjectivity of each individual, can make a big difference on everything, from gaming to typing in general, due to actuation force and type of switch (short answer). 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can you add some videos to cite?

They've had a few hiccups with budget builds in the past, but most of the time they're respectable builds.

If you're talking in general terms, don't forget that this is a PC enthusiast company with a enthusiast community. I know that might sounds cheesy, but I'm sure I'm not the first one to admit on here that I've spent more on my rig that what was necessary. But that's what I enjoy doing, as I'm sure that goes with everyone else here. You're not incorrect about some things being overkill, but LTT already knows that. They want to show off high end hardware for enthusiasts, and I don't recall them ever saying that you NEED a premium option over a less expensive one (unless you can prove me wrong.) 

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

Don't buy a premium cooler for a CPU that can't overclock.

GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

Good air cooler > flashy RGB budget liquid cooler

$20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

Forget a gaming chair.  Get a chair with good support.

Forget a gaming headset.  Get headphones with good audio quality.

A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

I agree with everything you're saying here. Every single thing except for one.

If people are planning to spend $2000 on a gaming rig and only go to one source for information, they are beyond help. You cannot be that blind and ignorant in a generation where information is easier to get than clean air and water. (im not exaggerating, where i come from, you can't drink water out of a tap and the skies are grey with smog everyday all year round).

And if it's you're first system youre building then you have been raised to be smart enough to learn the ropes. Just becuase you have access to the money doesn't mean you splurge on a whim. building a computer is not an "I saw it, i liked it, i bought it" thing. Also your general statement about Linus saying you need an i& for 60 fps? dont boldly claim its in his videos. share the link, find one and share it. I know for a fact he always says for gaming an i5 is more than enough, infact he repeats it constantly, which is the only reason I decided against going for the i7 (becuase i saw atleast 3-5 videos in the last 3 weeks where he kept saying and i5 was great for gaming!). So, while i agree with your points of view on the build, i disagree that he's guiding anyone astray. He's talking about fun things that appeal to him, and we relate to these things which is why we watch. There are plenty of budet build videos from linus as well as the rest of Youtube and the internet, if anyone building a system can't even find the info and evaluate for themselves then maybe they just don't value their own money in which case, this is pointless. 

Thread cleaned.

Seems I still have to remind people that telling someone to leave, and insulting others isn't allowed on the forum.

Please keep the following in mind when interacting with others;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

The following is not an exhaustive list of the rules and guidelines that must be followed when participating on Linus Tech Tips. The administration and moderation team reserve the right to terminate any and all accounts or remove any content at any stage without prior notice. The rules outlined below are only the minimum expectations of members, and not every issue can be predicted and addressed here, so conduct could still be considered out of line even if it isn't covered here specifically. The instructions of the moderation team must be followed at all times.

No harassment, discrimination or abuse of any kind.

• This includes insults, fanboy, or troll accusations

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, minervx said:

3) bottlenecking is only an issue if your monitor can display the information in the first place.  most people don't have 144 hz monitors to begin with.  and context is also key.  for those with 4k monitors, having a stronger gpu than cpu isn't a bottleneck because you aren't shooting for more than 60 frames anyway.  i wish people would look at context before assuming that just because 10 builds they saw on youtube have an i7 that an i7 will automatically benefit them

Sigh... this argument again... Tell that to my frame rate in Bf1 in my current setup.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

which new titles?  the occasional poorly optimized game like pubg?  what stuff in the background?  are people seriously going to be rendering a video with premiere pro while playing witcher 3?

when i play GTA5 with i7 4770 and gtx1060, my 8Gb got used to full. So any more program running behind the game will get throttled, such as chrome. I always find my webpage get reloaded which means they were put to harddrives/ssds when GTA was running. And i consider GTA5 an old AAA game which is pretty well optimized.

i always give the best advice, unlike what most here give. Always go with the best that suits your needs within your budget, ignore industry hypes and marketing. For example even if you dont need more than 4 cores, but if the CPU + board is in your budget, getting 6 core coffee lake or 8 core ryzen or even a 2nd hand 10 core intel high end desktop is absolutely fine. Taking an older intel extreme platform into consideration of more cores but lower frequency, it will still game at 144hz as clocks arent everything. Many physics heavy games do benefit from extra cache, faster ram but intel basically removed the ability to overclock the cache (only doable in lga 1366 platform).

Even for GPUs, its go with the best and newest you can afford. If you only need a 1060 but a 1080 ti is within your budget, get the 1080 ti even if you have a 1080p 60 fps monitor because gaming will only get more demanding graphically as time goes on.

Its all about getting the best within your budget, some want something pretty so can spend the extra on it rather than more performance. I myself dont care about LEDs but they do make the server room pretty at night.

I started having 32GB of ram 5 years ago. Before that i had 8GB ram even in a ddr2 core2 laptop.

57 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

Seems I still have to remind people that telling someone to leave, and insulting others isn't allowed on the forum.

Please keep the following in mind when interacting with others;

Just to let you know, I didn't mean "leave because I say so" but more as in "you can leave if Linus/This forum suits your needs".

It wasn't meant to just force him, if it came over as such I never meant it to.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

LTT is only good to learn how to put the parts together for the newbies, not to get a list of hardware that offers good value.

Not even that. The be Quiet! sponsored build was just awful in point of teaching good build practice. Linus should just stop doing actual build-build gudie altogether. Even when viewers might ask for them. I find listening his "what-to-buy" videos are even better as he tends to explain more and they aren't so focused on sponsored parts.

9 hours ago, minervx said:

Like I said, Linus does have practical videos on his channel.  But what are young viewers who don't know alot about tech going to veer more toward wanting: the one practical build he makes every year, or the dozens of rgb water cooled builds he makes every month.

Another problem is that budget and parts list Linus uses works for US and CA. But not in rest of the world. Year or two back I had to convince new builder from Middle East or India that its just not worth their money to aim for indentical build with Linus because it will cost maybe double more.

The idea that Linus makes overkill builds just because he has the parts lying around is kind of strange.  

More like he makes builds like that because there's either sponsor, or the theme is to showcase something else than build itself. They haven't done realistic gaming build (a built-build) in few years. Its always ALL-RGB or BALLS-TO-WALL workstation or something along those lines.

Why not make the majority of builds on the channel based on builds that are more in tune with what his viewers would buy?

Because those would be boring af? Who want to watch someone build something they can build themselves? Thats why part listing videos are better for that kind of thing. He gets to explain more about choices and price points are more clear. Holiday buyers guide was actually pretty ok in those terms. There were some decisions on budget focus standpoint that I would have argued against (like using 8 gigs in cheapest build), but overall it was ok.

-----

I wouldn't crap on others choices if they explain reasons behind it. But I've also rolled eyes couple times when kids have workstation quality builds for gaming. But I've also had to explain why I had Vista when Win7 was released. And why I went directly for i7 when upgrading while I rarely use its full power.

But thats why there are forums and why Linus doesn't answer "what my build should be?" questions anymore. One gets far more educated and wider range of suggestions here than just asking one man from the internetz. That being said, far too many users here demand PCPP list before checking the country user is from.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh shit folks.......

Screenshot_20171127-212155.thumb.png.460df268ffac52cf50a885e2099a02e5.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I 100% agree, I’ve seen way too often people come on these forums with a $xxxx pcpp build asking if it’s good or not. For starters the most demanding task most of these people will actually use their pc’s for is running pubg at 1080p. The problem is linus’s build guides prioritize glamour and rgb over actual performance and they use the overpriced sponsored equipment instead of actual practical gear. These new people don’t even know how to get cheaper hardware(ebay, craigslist, newegg, slickdeals), and think pcpp is the way to go when most of the time it’s overpriced as hell. A LAST GEN PENTIUM will still get you a decent framerate in the games people actually play(at least according to steam stats) and yes 8gb’s of ram will be enough for most people. Those of you with 16gb’s saying your programs are eating up a lot of ram, windows scales ram usage according to how much you have, someone running a program with 8gb’s will be using less ram than someone with 16 gb’s.

Can't really remember every single build guide but from what I recall, the builds they do on the channel are generally flashy (as you point out) to give the viewers the hardware porn that they want. Plus (again as mentioned) it's sponsored content, so it's just natural it's going to be flashy/over the top.

Obviously, not really ideal for the typical viewers but I do remember him mentioning (at least in a few, if not all) when going over parts (or at the end) that he wouldn't actually recommend some of it. (E.G 64/128GB  RAM. Mentions 8-16GB is fine. SLI Titan Xp's, recommends 1060/1070/1080 depending on case scenario and so forth)

Guessing this isn't something done in every single build guide? (I don't always watch them since I don't need a build guide. I do enjoy watching a build though, so I watch them sometimes.)

The reality is is that flashiness and over the top builds generates views. Its like how everyone wants the highest core count CPU when everything they do is single threaded. It doesn't make sense but it is the same reason a review of a Ferrari is going to generate way more interest then a minivan. 

thats not bad advice just saying that may be your opinion but many of those are just general rules for building a pc.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Are you calling out his legit, unsponsered build guides or just his builds? Because for the build guides I'll say this:

If you're popping in a bunch of other specialist components or multiple gpus into your computer (as someone building a $2k computer might do) it's good to have an over-powered psu that you know can handle the load at efficient power usage. The $2k build guides aren't directed solely at gamers, in fact he says that it's for enthusiasts who want the bleeding edge, and content creators and other professionals looking for powerhouse machines. Your consumer 4c8t i7s aren't the best option if you need to do a variety of heavy tasks at once, it just isn't. A good overkill psu will last you years and across multiple system builds. 32 or 64 gigs of ram is necessary for a large variety of professional use cases. 

Does linus always have the absolute undisputed best bang for the buck for every use case? No. But neither do you or I. He does have more than a decade of professional experience in computers and content creation though.

As for the people posting builds in the forums, perhaps they have different tastes than you and care about things besides absolute performance per dollar. The world is a buffet and some people don't load up on the steak and shrimp.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:22 PM, Master Disaster said:

Oh shit folks.......

Screenshot_20171127-212155.thumb.png.460df268ffac52cf50a885e2099a02e5.png

Not surprised that he lurks from time to time to get feedback because he cares about his content. Funny though lol.