I'm tired of Linus giving people horrible building advice.

minervx
On 11/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, minervx said:

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

You only need an i7 if you're gaming above 60 frames.

Don't buy a premium cooler for a CPU that can't overclock.

GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

Good air cooler > flashy RGB budget liquid cooler

$20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

8GB RAM will game just as well as 16 GB 99% of the time.

Forget a gaming chair.  Get a chair with good support.

Forget a gaming headset.  Get headphones with good audio quality.

A gaming keyboard isn't going to make you win more.

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

I agree with all of those things, but afaik so does Linus because I do not recall Linus ever suggesting otherwise so idk why you're saying this as if he disagrees with this list

In fact, I even recall him saying on several occasions that for pure gaming an i5 is enough, but people still buy i7 anyway, but it's not because he's telling them to :P

I also recall him saying/admitting that overkill PSUs are overkill and unnecessary but they use them just because they can (I mean, they have them laying around...)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Why don't you just make your own videos if you think something is lacking here?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I want to add something to this. I watch Linus and MKBHD very often. I have never heard "buying suggestions" from Linus.

Linus runs review channel. So his job is to review everything out there in the market.

Secondly. I think everyone has his/her own taste of setup. Maybe Linus like 16gb over 8gb.

But I'll be frank, I myself game + work. 8 gb is nothing for me.

You need 16 gb at-least if you game new gen. games such as PUBG, Ark, Rust etc.

I run a browser, discord, skype, game, softwares and many other softwares. 8 gb can't handle it.

About PSU, I can't comment. (Doesn't know).

Rest, I want to say. I always take advice from the people here on LinusTechForum. I don't go blindly on any YouTube guy.

I take advice for PC and stuff on this forum and for other stuff related to their own forum.

Like I wanted to buy OnePlus 3T. I saw some videos of MKBHD about it and then I went to the OnePlus's official forums to read more.

So it clears my way of buying stuff.

Always ask on forum.

LinusTechForum is my fav. forum for PC advices.

Gamer's are the best tech. enthusiast. Even Crypto miners take help from Gamers :D

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Honestly, I think nobody has said to buy a gaming headset over a regular one and that gaming keyboards make you win more.

Especially the latter. I feel that it's common sense to know that better hardware doesn't make you a better gamer. If you sucked at a game using a generic membrane keyboard, office mouse and 60Hz TN monitor, you'll also suck with a Cherry MX Speed/Romer-G keyboard, Logitech G502 (or the other equivalent) and 144Hz curved G-SYNC 1440p monitor.

Also, DXRacer. IMO, just get a good office chair like I did. Much more supportive and comfortable.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/27/2017 at 4:29 AM, minervx said:

GPU's are getting more power efficient with each gen.  You don't need to future proof your power supply at 800-1000w.

Being more efficient doesn't automatically equate to lower power draw.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 27/11/2017 at 6:38 AM, WereCatf said:

He actually has said quite many times that good air-coolers perform pretty close to liquid-coolers and thus liquid-coolers are good when you want to show it off and air-coolers are the more cost-effective choice.

AIO are nicer for the noise IMO ..

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

On 27/11/2017 at 10:40 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

I've got a couple of issues with these:
1. It's not entirely true, you needed an i7 for any GPU equivalent/faster to a GTX 1070/980Ti to avoid bottlenecking, this has changed with Coffee Lake bringing 6-cores to mainstream i5s, but it remains true for any quad-core i5.

2. Vega 64? ^_^ Pair it with an overclocked i9 and you need a 1000W PSU :P

3. Sadly, not if you want to max out new titles and want to have stuff running in the background.

You just decked his entire point

On 11/27/2017 at 6:29 AM, minervx said:

Seriously.

So....you're saying you need an i7?

Most people always target 60fps, the difference is at what quality. In fact, every build I"ve ever had ran the games I played at 60. Sometimes it had to be medium or low. 

And while an i5 will do you fine, we are long past they days that the extra threads don't matter. Perhaps not an i7, but a Ryzen cpu with 4 cores 8 threads at least. 

When building a PC, it's better to put more budget into your base platform- cpu and motherboard. A 100$-150$ GPU will play a lot of games really well and in a couple of years you can just spend another 100-150$ on a good upgrade. Maybe add in more memory when you can, prices are stupid.

How often does he feature CPUs that can't overclock?

But yea, a 212 evo or something will do most people. 

Even then, if a buyer wants to get a nice cooler, there's nothing wrong with premium coolers. Some of them compete with water AIOs, which, btw, often come with loud fans. (I typically replace them at least)

I think what you're seeing here is Linus just uses whatever parts he has lying around that's the best? Like he throw a noctua low profile cooler on any small form factor build just cause? I don't think he throws much consideration to this. 

Sames as the CPUs. He uses what he has. 

And yea, they are overkill. That said my overkill psus NEVER kick the fan on, which is pretty neat. And I'd much rather people not get cheapo ones. But yea, since he'll throw like a 1200w one in a build with a raspberry pie or something, it gives the impression you need that. 

If it does the job, what's the problem with people getting what's cool to them? I personally build computers with all black parts or similar when I can, but if you like RGB, get it. It reminds me of acrylic pc cases and UV lights with reactive tubing and psu lines. Where those cases/part the best? No. But the people using them were building their dream pc. 

My work PC has 8GB of memory, and opening both browsers has started to become an issue , and don't get me started on photoshop and stuff. 

And for games, it's not as true as it used to be. Gaming or not, I've been on at least 16GB for years, and less is really restrictive. We're past that for performance machines....BUT with memory prices being more than double then when I build the three machines I use at home, yah....

=(

Truly good office chairs start at 500$. I own 2 need for seat office series chairs, (which are salty at 500$) and at 6'2" I can make my feet dangle with them. The foam takes a long time to break in and simply gets softer over time but does NOT break down. So far I've loved them. They have tall backs that adjust to the position I want so I can sit up straight. Would I get one again? i did, clearly. But at work I'm looking to get something else, as a mesh back is where it's at. I'll probably spend a lot more than I did on my need for seat chairs. 

I do have a problem with people buying chairs like the ones I own without doing research on what they need first, but a 250$ 'Racing' chair is probably a hell of a lot more solid than anything from office depot locally. I'm not fat, but I broke 150$ chairs every few months at my height and the odd angles I sit, so I was forced to look at getting something better. Reality is, racing seat or not people need to invest in a good seat, and they are not Jake, murderer of office chairs like I am they may just keep sitting in junk. 

Do people really want to fuck with a modmic? 

But yea. Still, linus makes this pretty clear. Not featuring gaming headsets at all is not an option? 

So?

Also, I am literally better on cherry reds. I also do really well with the SS apex (the old membrane ones) though typing on it sucks

But I gamed on membrane for a long time, so there's no problem with it, yea. 

He talks about mechanical keyboards for typing, not gaming typically.  

"I need a build for general productivity" =/= "I'm building a machine to design 4K movies for Pixar on a daily basis"

I agree with this. 

Get 16GB of memory and an SSD and call it a day. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 11/27/2017 at 12:29 PM, minervx said:

A lot of his Pimp My Ride videos lead people into buying parts which are flashy-looking or going for the most high-end specs regardless of real-world performance.  I've seen at least dozens of posts on the Build Help forum in which people plan to spend $2000 to make builds like the ones in Linus's videos where they can basically the same performance for <$1400.

Seriously.

$20 case fans are a horrible value proposition for mid-range builds

the amount of RAM and core count is more of a limiter if you are trying to multitask.

I would love for linus to promote higher rated powersupplies. Owning a RM750 and AX1500i, i KNOW how huge a difference there is on 10% draw. Its NOT negligible. 10% power loss over time sounds little, but given HOW much time most of us spends browsing and doing low intensity shit, its ridiculous not to think of it. And considering you can get Titanium grade PSUs at just 120 bucks (whilst gold is 75-90), well, its a far cry from the days when Titanium grade was at a 250 dollar premium

Well that isn't remotely true however the reason most of his builds have i7s is that they are "baller builds" as it were in his budget builds he almost never gets an i7, and I don't remember him ever doing the latter but the stock cooler is marginal and loud getting a 20-30 dollar cool is a welcome improvement

One if anything he gets bad PSUs for his consumer focused builds, and two most of his bling out builds simply have the best PSU he has laying around

I agree with most of the other points, though 16GB of ram seems to be more relevant due to game developers being retarded and a good keyboard adds more than simply better skill potential and can help with typing accuracy and general ease of use, a nice luxury to have if you have the coin.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

the amount of RAM and core count is more of a limiter if you are trying to multitask.

it depends on what kind of multitasking.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

it depends on what kind of multitasking.

not really. Games are using more and more cores/threads. More games are needing more threads. As time goes on, there is no justification to have less cores when multitasking.

Our browsers keep using more and more RAM, same with spotify and other streaming services. huge caching