So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

So what this looks like is, Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + AMD discrete GPU, like how we have seen laptops feature Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU managed via Nvidia's own Optimus Technology.

So we used to have these combinations, and I expect this one to be added to the list.

List:

Spoiler

Intel CPU + Intel iGPU

Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU + AMD discrete GPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU(In very select devices/custom devices)

All I see is a new combination added to the list.

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

A bit unrelated but do we know if anyone else (particularly AMD) have EMIB in the pipeline? It seems like it's far superior to an interposer.

only in price, but we don't know, although it might be the job of other companies to invest R&D into that (the ones that package the cpus/gpus)

1 minute ago, kiska3 said:

So what this looks like is, Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + AMD discrete GPU, like how we have seen laptops feature Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU managed via Nvidia's own Optimus Technology.

So we used to have these combinations, and I expect this one to be added to the list.

List:

Reveal hidden contents

Intel CPU + Intel iGPU

Intel CPU + Intel iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU + AMD discrete GPU

AMD CPU + AMD iGPU + Nvidia discrete GPU(In very select devices/custom devices)

All I see is a new combination added to the list.

don't think these will have igpu 

Just now, cj09beira said:

don't think these will have igpu 

I don't know about that, whilst yes the discrete GPU can be in low power mode, if your only browsing or doing light tasks, I still see the Intel iGPU being more power efficient

It seems it's actually a dGPU for the next generation of Intel's NUC line. Those NUCs are used in a lot of devices, so it makes since from both party's perspectives. Not that Intel isn't guilty of some crimes against AMD. (And not that AMD isn't guilty of releasing Bulldozer.) 

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

AMD's Raven Ridge is competing in the ULV-powered space, not the higher-power laptop chips. AMD doesn't have anything in that space yet, getting a GPU in there with a fast CPU will get them some well needed money.

Keyword is yet. High performance mobile chips should currently be in the pipeline for AMD.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

(And not that AMD isn't guilty of releasing Bulldozer.) 

You mean not guilty of releasing a Bulldozer that Steamrolled the companies financials?

this... is strange

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

I don't know about that, whilst yes the discrete GPU can be in low power mode, if your only browsing or doing light tasks, I still see the Intel iGPU being more power efficient

still would not make sense as you would still have the dgpu somewhat working (ready for use) so it would not be much use

1 minute ago, mikat said:

wait WSJ are the a-holes that screwed youtube with the adpocalypse right?

No. WSJ was the means by which other power players attacked YouTube because Google's product had too much influence and allowed too many other voices to operate.

still would not make sense as you would still have the dgpu somewhat working (ready for use) so it would not be much use

I mean the dGPU would be powered OFF, so I see no power consumption if its off

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

No. WSJ was the means by which other power players attacked YouTube because Google's product had too much influence and allowed too many other voices to operate.

But they did put that stuff on their website, I don't think you can say "Don't shoot the messenger" in this case, they agreed to put it on their website and obviously knew what was going to happen

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Caught this link a day or two ago, though it's in Japanese.

http://www.moepc.net/?post=3061

The custom solution appears to be a RX580 with HBM2. 

it says 24 cus so its something custom, but its weird that its polaris, i guess amd did not give intel any special treatment when it comes to: you have to wait a while before you can use our latest arch

Just now, mikat said:

But they did put that stuff on their website, I don't think you can say "Don't shoot the messenger" in this case, they agreed to put it on their website and obviously knew what was going to happen

Of course. WSJ is a Murdoch property. The actions of one group on another can't be removed from the sources. And it's also not like there wasn't a great deal of frustration with YouTube & advertising from other sectors, which made a WSJ hit job a more viable angle of attack.  Shaming executives in the big papers *always* works.

That's quite interesting though. As long as profitability is on rise it can be good.

But yeah, didn't expect this really. 

Is next Nvidia GPU with AMD CPU combo? 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

whoa

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

it says 24 cus so its something custom, but its weird that its polaris, i guess amd did not give intel any special treatment when it comes to: you have to wait a while before you can use our latest arch

It's probably a deal from the semi-custom branch, so it was cemented at least a year ago. Means Vega just wasn't ready.

Weirdly, I'd been thinking about possibly building a NUC system, so I might need to rethink nixing that idea. Previous ones can't handle enough monitors for what I was thinking about doing with it.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

mr_polaris_inside_intel_kabylake_cpu_pol

mr_polaris_inside_intel_kabylake_cpu_polhttps://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7ahb6z/mr_polaris_inside_intel_kabylake_cpu_polaris_gpu/

There was chatter about some leaked benchmarks. Given where the NUC line from Intel goes, this actually makes a lot of sense. The previous ones just can't drive a lot of monitors or heavy graphics. That solves the problem going forward.

What the fuck it's actually real.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb