Lenovo Announces Limited-Edition ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25

The Benjamins

The price is quite high. For that money i'd expect a quad-core i7 and a current nvidia gpu. Lenovo always seems to launch new products right after intel or nvidia has released their new stuff making lenovo always look overpiced and behind the curve.  I also wish i could customize it and not pay the insane upcharge they want for 16gb of memory and 512gb ssd. I cant see spending almost 2000 on a laptop with a crappy dual core i7, especially since they could have just waited a month and released it with the new 15w intel quad cores. I love thinkpads but cant spend $2000 on a nostalgia toy. I have a $600 thinkpad with nearly identical specs already.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

5 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

To the gamers that are going to whine about it costing a lot or looking bad, this is a laptop for working and making money. This is a laptop for when you need to setup 20 surveillance cameras in a local grocery store and you accidentally drop it from a 12ft ladder and it still works.

Don't be an idiot, this ls literally just a t470 with a different keyboard. The T470 starts at 730 dollars, this starting at 1900 is a fucking joke and lenovo should be ashamed.

For a moment I though that was the Haswell/Broadwell generation chassis. I wonder how much is different...

On 10/5/2017 at 8:29 AM, Droidbot said:

Shitty clickpad.

Could you explain that? It has mouse buttons. That's the thing I noticed most when I got my T450s over my T440s (warranty replacement), they're perfectly fine.

Shitty specs (8th gen and MX150 is out, ffs).

The 7th gen CPU is understandable, since they obviously didn't make this in a week (nor did they even really change it from their existing laptops past the surface...). The low-end Maxwell chip, I quite frankly find baffling... I wonder why they're still using that...

No ThinkLight.

Could you explain this one too? It has a backlit keyboard, I (having used ThinkLight style lighting before, though admittedly not heavily) think that's an upgrade. I see mention of using it for reading and whatnot, but... Really? Is reading-light functionality why people wouldn't want keyboard lighting to more directly and effectively improve visibility of the keyboard itself?

No 4:3 or 16:10, instead 16:9 garbage that nobody asked for.

Isn't more screen real-estate a good thing? As long as they don't sacrifice vertical space and the horizontal space doesn't get out of hand, I don't see the problem here. Usually if I'm reading a PDF or something that just uses the middle I use a split-page view.
In fact, I split up windows a lot. Instructions on the right word processor on the left, API on the right IDE on the left, often even just two documents up while I'm doing math or something on a whiteboard or in a notebook. I would not want a narrower panel.

Mediocre build quality.

I don't have much experience with older ThinkPads, but I'd say it's less about build quality and more about priorities. Older ThinkPads are more robust and durable, newer ones are more dense and streamlined. Indeed I'd actually say the newer ones are too dense and streamlined...

I think the X1 line was the start of the death of the rest of the lineup. For some reason they're forgetting that each series has its own purpose and trying to make everything an X series, like going so far as to actually get rid of the removable battery and drainage ports in the T460s for no reason.

They're still some of the best built laptops you can get, just less durable than they used to be.

No proper drainage for water (see x220 vs x240 coffee video) or resistance against drops (roll cages??).

Looks like the chassis still has drainage to me. The T470s doesn't, and the X series doesn't, but if you look at the bottom the T470 has 'em...
Unless they're not used, in which case I tip my hat to Lenovo in fearful respect of how impressively stupid they can be.

Though, despite my defense, I do think ThinkPads are just getting worse and I'm surprised at how little effort they put into this for being a 'retro' product. I do wonder what they'd look like today if IBM was still in charge...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

• Hinges in the wrong place
  • 16:9 instead of 16:10
  • Battery sticks out the wrong way
  • Keyboard material is different
  • Promised Linux support, but it includes a GT 940MX
  • No ThinkLight, instead there's a backlit keyboard

gg no re lenovo

My parents have a Pentium 1 (66Mhz I think?) powered IBM Thinkpad.  It came with a brightness slider next to the screen and a lever to tilt the keyboard up an an angle.  It also had modular bays to swap in extra batteries or a zip drive or whatever.  It still works too on Windows 95, but the keyboard is so used that you have to gorilla-finger it to get the keys to go down now.   This one does none of that and basically looks like they just mildly changed the keyboard on a current thinkpad and price gouge the shit out of it.

And I'll take my HP Elitebook any day over a Lenovo Thinkpad.  Terrible trackpads, and I don't want page up and page down next to the arrow keys.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Love the design, hate the price.

I mean, I do get how it's that expensive. No i5 option, and you have to go with their inflated prices for the SSD and RAM.

I can't help but compare this to their own P51S, which comes in $700 cheaper with the same component hardware, and if you're willing to forgo some of the potentially useless stuff (fingerprint reader, touch screen, dropping to 256GB SSD (still overpriced)) then you're saving $1,000.

Hopefully they see massive interest and decide to make a more reasonable model of it, or perhaps even offer the keyboard set up across all models as an option.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I can't find the price on the French Lenovo website. Is there anywhere where I can see European pricing or can actually buy one? 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

They should sell just the chassis for retrofitting think and ideapads lol. I'd buy.

Really Lenovo? You've been phasing out the beloved ThinkPad keyboard for the past few years and now you bring it back with a $2549 CAD price tag? What kind of a tease is this? I really hope that they're going to be re-introducing that keyboard throughout their lineup again. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

And Lenovo asks why they aren't doing so hot...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 10/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Some of the newer, latitude are fucking awful in every way (don't even have a dock port), I'm going to say very comparable to new ThinkPads, or even worse.

...Yes, the new Latitudes suck major.  I question why logistics thought buying the new ones would be a good idea, especially in a desert environment.

So far the issue I am dealing with on these new ones:  trackpads going bad really fast, NICs not pulling IPs, or the display settings going full retard when one to two monitors hooked in, especially off of KVM switches.  Also, no dock port....I want to smack the peep for coming up with the idea of buying ones without dock ports.

So far, a lot of these new laptops are crap.

On the Lenovo, yeah, I rather mess with an older one.  Not waste near two grand for crap new one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU