Nintendo taken to court for patent infridging for the Switch detachable controller

GoodBytes

Gamevice is taken to court Nintendo for their claim that Nintendo has violated on their patent for the concept of a detachable controller patent they have. Gamevice is a company that makes (or used to)  an Android tablets with detachable controller called Wikipad (see the last 2 pictures of the post). As a result, they are asking Nintendo for damages (money) and full outright ban of selling the system. Gamevice declined to comment on the lawsuit.

dims.jpg.38e7512af2b273f148d9bfec5c272f41.jpg

The Nintendo Switch certainly isn't the first gaming tablet, but is it directly riffing on others' ideas? Gamevice thinks so. The accessory maker is suing Nintendo for allegedly violating a patent for concepts used in the Wikipad, its gaming-oriented Android slate, as well as its namesake add-on controllers for phones and tablets. According to the suit, the Switch and its removable Joy-Con controllers are too close to Gamevice's vision of a combination of detachable game controller and a device with a "flexible bridge section." Not surprisingly, the lawsuit calls for both damages and a ban on Switch sales.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/11/nintendo-faces-lawsuit-over-switch-controllers/

To help the discussion on this news, and to clarify:

Sadly,

Detachable controller is nothing new for Nintendo. They have made some back in the 80's with one of their Game & Watch devices. A quick Google shows this device:

Boxing.jpg

Although this is more putting them inside for storage, instead of playing directly.

But regardless, we have the Razer Edge Pro which is A LOT closer to Gamevice patent infringing:

razer-edge-gamingpad-02.png

And not to mention many other device that I am sure you can list that has this idea and concept, that probably is so common that it is public domain at this point (I am not a lawyer)

So, anyway, the company is claiming that their patent infringing is on the "bridge" part of the detachable controller, and not the detachable controller itself.

US09126119-20150908-D00000.thumb.png.d6037428cc653a7a6174b47fb4b2878d.png

(Patent source: https://patents.google.com/patent/US9126119B2/en)

As you know the Switch doesn't have this, and the controller, including their charging connector is on the rails of the device, and features lock/release button system, and so doesn't need this bridge pictured above in the patent. Gamevice claim is that the bridge is built-in into the system, and hence not visible. (I guess they never saw a teardown picture of the device to notice that indeed there is none, and completely holds and interacts with its metal rail system)

Nevertheless, the company is convinced otherwise.

Who is Gamevice? And what is the Wikipad?

The WIkipad does NOT use the patent pictured above. The WIkipad is a tablet computer running Android + detachable controller. It comes with its own Android interface, and built-in mobile games, as well as, like any Android device, use the Google Play Store to get more games (or apps).

It does NOT connect to the TV like the Switch. It does NOT have a dock. Just a normal boxy tablet with detachable controller:

HomeSlide-1-960.png.f780fc59ef9a263a948da992c9123fcd.png

As you can see the Wikipad is the controller which is 1 peace system with speakers. It connects with Micro-USB port of the tablet.

Wikipad-7-8-3.jpg

The tablet specs are:

- Nvidia Tegra 3

- Wireless N

- Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)

- 1GB DDR3 RAM

- 7inch 1280x800 IPS display

- 16GB of storage

So yes, a cheap-man Switch specs wise.

It sold so popular that it sold out everywhere based on their website. "Out of stock" claims (probably not making it anymore)

Based on Amazon.com and CamelCamelCamel.com the system used to cost $250 US (currently discounted 201.50$ (probably the seller is selling it at cost to get rid of it)). The Switch cost $299.99 US

https://www.amazon.com/Wikipad-WIKIPAD-7-7-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00DE2EKSE/

UPDATE

The company does sale detachable controller for some Android and iOS devices

GV167-Front-Angle-min_1024x1024.png

Pictured above is an example. This is the GV167 for Samsung phones. It cost ~$60 US.

https://gamevice.com/collections/mobile-console-gaming-android

Patent Trolls such as this should be thrown in prison for fraud. Should be unable to sell another product nor allowed to sue again. Getting tired of these  shitty companies being allowed to do this.

This controller looks nothing like the Switch controller xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Wow, good luck with that ... Bit of stretch dontcha think there Gamevice?

*edit

Breath of the Wild for PC Dammit !

Edited by SansVarnic
edited to and then edited again for the bad word. ;P

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Screw gamevice.  I still need to get me a Switch

Yeah. Don't ban the Switch! If they call themselves Gamevice, why are they trying to get an awesome little console banned?(Hyped BTW, I'm overnighting at a friends house tomorrow and he has a Switch. :D)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

First sentence of the original post needs help:

Gamevise, the maker of the Wikipad [I would've mentioned the product that has the patent instead as the wikipad is irrelevant to this patent], is taking Nintendo to court for violating their patent of a detachable controller [I don't think you need to mention that it is for Android, but you could add 'which they make for Android devices' if you want]. 

Edited by SCGazelle

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

First sentence of the original post needs help:

Gamevise, the maker of the Wikipad [I would've mentioned the product that has the patent instead as the wikipad is irrelevant to this patent], is taking Nintendo to court for violating their patent of a detachable controller [I don't think you need to mention that it is for Android]. 

Thanks!

Well I mentioned the Wikipad, because it is the only product that they have listed on their website. from what I can see. I guess I need to rephrase it.

personally, I think it's hilarious. Stupid, yes, but l think it's interesting when a company has nothing better to do besides attempting to sue people (such as the Alex Mauer).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

44 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

personally, I think it's hilarious. Stupid, yes, but l think it's interesting when a company has nothing better to do besides attempting to sue people (such as the Alex Mauer).

It's an ambiguous situation. In one hand, you don't want patent trolls pretending to be companies and suing everyone that actually tries to make something. On the other hand, you also don't want small companies with an innovative idea, however small, to be ripped off by bigger players in the market, only to be assisted at PR by their brand name and fan base. It requires a balance: too much bias towards "patent all the things" and trolls will halt all innovation; too much bias towards "you are a tiny nobody, get out of the way and let the big boys play" and the market will become more and more oligopolic. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's an ambiguous situation. In one hand, you don't want patent trolls pretending to be companies and suing everyone that actually tries to make something. On the other hand, you also don't want small companies with an innovative idea, however small, to be ripped off by bigger players in the market, only to be assisted at PR by their brand name and fan base. It requires a balance: too much bias towards "patent all the things" and trolls will halt all innovation; too much bias towards "you are a tiny nobody, get out of the way and let the big boys play" and the market will become more and more oligopolic. 

It's been brought up before that in many cases it can be hard to tell or decide what is really a "patent troll"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It would greatly help the matter if the Patent Office actually contained people who can think critically about the patents they are about to grant. Just recently I saw one granted to HP that was a patent on reminder messages, not a new way to do them, just reminder messages.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On the topic of any one company dominating a platform and potentially putting everything on it at risk (perhaps from patent trolls?), again, this is why diversification and choice are essential.  We don't want one or two companies controlling all the hardware, games, game distribution, OS, etc.

Get a variety of hardware running Linux where people purchase straight from devs and run whatever however they want.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Lurick said:

It would greatly help the matter if the Patent Office actually contained people who can think critically about the patents they are about to grant. Just recently I saw one granted to HP that was a patent on reminder messages, not a new way to do them, just reminder messages.

I heard about one once that was a patent on putting wires through a hole in clothing.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I heard about one once that was a patent on putting wires through a hole in clothing.

Wouldn't surprise me =( 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Here's a good one:

https://www.google.com/patents/US8473532

A method and apparatus to automatically organize computer files or web pages into meaning categories, to acquire new computer files or web pages, and to maintain the resulting organization in hierarchical directory tree structure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Here's a good one:

https://www.google.com/patents/US8473532

I feel like whoever owns that could sue anyone who's made a computer or anything based on a computer ever xD 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel like whoever owns that could sue anyone who's made a computer or anything based on a computer ever xD 

It's my life mission to patent, trademark, and copyright "it".

If you do "it" you owe me money.

If you say "it" you owe me money.

If you sell "it" give me the money!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's been brought up before that in many cases it can be hard to tell or decide what is really a "patent troll"

In my opinion, patents should only be allowed for specific implementations of an idea, and the patent holder should be required to either create something from the patent or sell the idea within.....say, 5 years (plenty enough time, in my opinion), or they lose their patent.

Anyone who files a patent for the sole purpose of charging a fee/suing would fall under the category of "patent troll", so far as I'm concerned.

Someone is uber jelly that their shitty product didn't make the headlines.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

one thing to ask for damages like compensation, but to ask for them to completely halt sales is ludicrous and will bury them in the trial. Nintendo will prolong it long enough to bankrupt them or counter sue, silly gamevice haha lawsuits are for corporations.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply