SteamOS vs Windows

I found out, that there is SteamOS available to download and some guide how to install it on PC, but while I want to download it, it downloading only SteamOS repair.iso, but guide says SteamOS.zip to unpack it to USB, but even Rufus doesn't work, cuz after that, pendrive just getting only 256kb available 馃檲

But also I can't even spilt my M.2 into two partitions, because even if I have available 450gb, it showing me around 9gb left to make a partition, so useless for SteamOS. So I can't make a dual boot option, and I don't wanna installing Windows again if someone will go wrong.聽

So even if there is something I doing wrong, and with proper guidance, I could install SteamOS on my PC, is this worth it anyway ? Just wanted to check for fun, if I could made my PC, more gaming machine, and get rid of this junky windows, but not sure if SteamOS will work good as the main system, strictly for gaming, or some website anime watching occasionally.聽

Also I know that steamos is only Steam based system, so no Xbox Game Pass, which is bad because I have few games on the list to play 馃檲

Any suggestions ? 馃槄

SteamOS is literally just Arch Linux, but modified for the steamdeck, so why not just install it? Linux won't really improve your gaming experience, but it's fine as long as most of the games you play are on Steam, because nearly all of them are supported on Linux. I'm pretty sure SteamOS is based on Linux, because it's not bloated like windows, so it's lightweight because of that, and uses less battery life and processing power, which is important on a low power device like the steamdeck. You also definitely can split your drive into multiple partitions, you will have to either shrink the main 450GB partition in windows, or do it during the install process, for which you can use Ventoy instead of rufus, i found it easier to use

26 minutes ago, EdoTensei said:

I found out, that there is SteamOS available to download and some guide how to install it on PC, but while I want to download it, it downloading only SteamOS repair.iso, but guide says SteamOS.zip to unpack it to USB, but even Rufus doesn't work, cuz after that, pendrive just getting only 256kb available 馃檲

But also I can't even spilt my M.2 into two partitions, because even if I have available 450gb, it showing me around 9gb left to make a partition, so useless for SteamOS. So I can't make a dual boot option, and I don't wanna installing Windows again if someone will go wrong.聽

So even if there is something I doing wrong, and with proper guidance, I could install SteamOS on my PC, is this worth it anyway ? Just wanted to check for fun, if I could made my PC, more gaming machine, and get rid of this junky windows, but not sure if SteamOS will work good as the main system, strictly for gaming, or some website anime watching occasionally.聽

Also I know that steamos is only Steam based system, so no Xbox Game Pass, which is bad because I have few games on the list to play 馃檲

Any suggestions ? 馃槄

If SteamOS basically just make your PC into a big steam deck, then games that can't run on steamdeck won't be able to run on your big steam deck as well no ?

Most likely games with Denuvo / Some Anti-Cheats

And yeah, like @MiszS聽said, SteamOS is basically Linux, just with UI made by Steam

image.png.b56b5afc735c5562d67559b2a8ccdbb7.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The version of SteamOS available for download is old and unsupported at this point (based on Debian 8). This is not the same version that runs on the Steamdeck (based on Arch).

If you are looking for a similar experience to what you are getting with SteamOS on the Steamdeck I would recommend checking out Bazzite. It is a gaming focused linux distribution that has many QOL features installed already. It is difficult to break for new linux users. It even has support for installing on the many handheld devices out now.

Try Bazzite, closest thing to Desktop/Laptop SteamOS you can fine (imo it's even better). SteamOS i just for the Steam Deck. If you have any questions let me know, I'm on Bazzite myself.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

22 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Try Bazzite, closest thing to Desktop/Laptop SteamOS you can fine (imo it's even better). SteamOS i just for the Steam Deck. If you have any questions let me know, I'm on Bazzite myself.

I may try to install it, the bazzite, but upon choice my hardware in download section, there is KDE (like steam OS) so I presume it about interface like SteamOS, and GNOME, and what's that ? Like bazzite windows interface like ?聽

Which one if any, will allow me to install Xbox Game Pass or GOG ? And which one would be best ?聽

Also may I install it as just one system, instead of keeping Windows as well ?聽

I doing nothing more than watching anime (exceptionally some movies) and playing games, so I'm not using even 10% or Windows possibilities, so if something will give me better experience, or at least mainly what I doing on my PC, it would be great.聽

If anyday I will find out what I could do more on windows I could install it again, but for now which version o should choose ?聽

Edit:聽

And what about drivers for 7800XT, I presume I have to choose for Ubuntu, but all drivers for Linux are much older, or I don't understand the naming of it, because it's different than for windows.

It's my first time with Linux anyway 馃槄

3 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

Which one if any, will allow me to install Xbox Game Pass or GOG ? And which one would be best ?聽

You can not download/install xbox game pass games on linux, only xbox cloud streaming is supported

GOG (and Epic) games can be installed using either Heroic Games Launcher/Lutris. These game launchers will use wine/proton to allow the game to run. Support/experience varies depending on the game.聽

Look at winedb, protondb or google "<game name here> linux support" to see if your games are supported.

Any linux distro allows for heroic/lutris/steam to be installed. Bazzite is one of the "gaming" distros, where the game clients come preinstalled.

And what about drivers for 7800XT, I presume I have to choose for Ubuntu, but all drivers for Linux are much older, or I don't understand the naming of it, because it's different than for windows.

Linux drivers are different to windows. Amd/Intel gpu driver support is built into the kernel. So long you using latest kernel/mesa package your gpu will be supported. I know bazzite will install any additional drivers for you when you first login.

Yes, you can format entire drive during install if you do not want to keep windows.聽

4 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

I may try to install it, the bazzite, but upon choice my hardware in download section, there is KDE (like steam OS) so I presume it about interface like SteamOS, and GNOME, and what's that ? Like bazzite windows interface like ?聽

I doing nothing more than watching anime (exceptionally some movies) and playing games, so I'm not using even 10% or Windows possibilities, so if something will give me better experience, or at least mainly what I doing on my PC, it would be great.聽

If anyday I will find out what I could do more on windows I could install it again, but for now which version o should choose ?聽

Edit:聽

It's my first time with Linux anyway 馃槄

• Go with KDE. It's th emost similar to Windows.
  • Game Pass doesn't work on Linnux apart from XCloud. For GoG install Heroic Games Launcher.
  • The AMD drivers are in the kernel so there's nothing you need to do about it, they come with the OS聽and they are much better than on Windows. Expect better performance.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

Xbox ultimate supports cloud gaming for selected titles. This means you can play games even on your phone as long as it can run a web browser

Sudo make me a sandwich聽

10 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

• Go with KDE. It's th emost similar to Windows.
  • Game Pass doesn't work on Linnux apart from XCloud. For GoG install Heroic Games Launcher.
  • The AMD drivers are in the kernel so there's nothing you need to do about it, they come with the OS聽and they are much better than on Windows. Expect better performance.

I installed it yesterday, as dual boot, and it works really fast, but I installed one game just to test it, After Us, because on windows it was stuttery mess, but no graphics settings, runs at 25-30fps~ish, no temps control, no adrenaline software (at least I didn't found) so no undervolting or fan control, overall lack of apps I've been using. And games seems runs way worse. Ot at least this one, or I did something wrong.聽

4 hours ago, EdoTensei said:

I installed it yesterday, as dual boot, and it works really fast, but I installed one game just to test it, After Us, because on windows it was stuttery mess, but no graphics settings, runs at 25-30fps~ish, no temps control, no adrenaline software (at least I didn't found) so no undervolting or fan control, overall lack of apps I've been using. And games seems runs way worse. Ot at least this one, or I did something wrong.聽

Can you tell me your exact specs? Use CoreCtrl and CoolerControl for fans and CPU tweaking.

Also, are you using Heroic to launch it?

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

3 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Can you tell me your exact specs? Use CoreCtrl and CoolerControl for fans and CPU tweaking.

Also, are you using Heroic to launch it?

R9 5900X RX 7800XT, 32Gb ram, 750Watts.聽

I could try those apps, but I formated partition with Bazzite, and I can't install it again, the version without gaming mode, there is ostree error which is nowhere explained how to use commands, or where. Just commands 馃槅.. I'm noob so it's difficult for me 馃檲 and no, just Steam.聽