AMD Won't be livestreaming Siggraph and Vega's launch

Valentyn

Siggraph is tomorrow, and AMD has just come out and stated that they shan't be livestreaming the event. It's been a very long time since AMD has launched a major "high-end" graphics card and not decided to host an event, along with livestream.

This is very disheartening, and worrying as well. One would expect a major launch to be showcased as much as possible to drive interest in the product. Now after months of teases, they're not even going to show the world much.

Fear not, they will tweet out some updates. I can only hope some reputable reviewers have decided to make their way to Siggraph to report on the event. 
Both NVIDIA and AMD are attending.

wfj4KpEMSA_lInzbD8RI5Q.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

don't worry, someone will be holding up their iPad and livestreaming it for us.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

don't worry, someone will be holding up their phone and livestreaming it for us.

plz dont be portrait mode, plzzzz

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

plz dont be portrait mode, plzzzz

portrait mode.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well if they are going to announce a 1080 competitor that costs as much as a 1080 Ti, I don't think that the live stream would help :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Honestly, I've jumped the vega ship. This is a complete reversal of previous AMD, CPU division is now strong and the RTG are making the company look bad. (Though we cant say for sure until launch) I actually sold my AMD stock, because even though I'm sure Ryzen/TR/Epyc will make AMD money, Vega launch is gonna cause stocks to tumble I think. This complete lack of faith in their own product is extremely worrying. These "feeling" tests and them pushing the value proposition of freesync vs G-Sync makes me think HBM2 was just too expensive.

I do hope Navi signals a REAL return to the high end.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Wow Vega is looking to be baaadddddd

I was planning on getting it since freesync shenanigans but if it ends up being horrible idk what to do :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

TBH who really cares? It might suck and it might be good, I am going to keep an open mind until we see 3rd party benchmarks.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Honestly, I've jumped the vega ship. This is a complete reversal of previous AMD, CPU division is now strong and the RTG are making the company look bad. (Though we cant say for sure until launch) I actually sold my AMD stock, because even though I'm sure Ryzen/TR/Epyc will make AMD money, Vega launch is gonna cause stocks to tumble I think. This complete lack of faith in their own product is extremely worrying. These "feeling" tests and them pushing the value proposition of freesync vs G-Sync makes me think HBM2 was just too expensive.

I do hope Navi signals a REAL return to the high end.

I've kept my stock for the long haul, but this is ready in my basket for days now. Just been waiting to see what Vega RX does at siggraph. I already have a Freesync monitor, but that'll get moved to the side if I order.

lKmsGdQkQ_mZrgAfqHVe-Q.png

FFS RTG, why are you like this.

Raja said he wouldn't shave until Vega is out, maybe now he's planning on shaving when they finally compete again? 

Longest-hair-and-beard.jpg

I've been cautiously hopeful in my reactions so far, just because there's so much information we don't know.  This, however, does cause me some concern.

I'm still not going to call it yet, as we still don't know anything for certain, but my optimism is definitely waning.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

I've kept my stock for the long haul, but this is ready in my basket for days now. Just been waiting to see what Vega RX does at siggraph. I already have a Freesync monitor, but that'll get moved to the side if I order.

lKmsGdQkQ_mZrgAfqHVe-Q.png

FFS RTG, why are you like this.

Raja said he wouldn't shave until Vega is out, maybe now he's planning on shaving when they finally compete again? 

Longest-hair-and-beard.jpg

2000 dollars! Insane. That's NVidia tax for you. Shouldn't even be 1500$.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

2000 dollars! Insane. That's NVidia tax for you. Shouldn't even be 1500$.

Price is shown in Brexit dollas; and I pay around €2350 for that. I hate that Amazon.co.uk refuses to ship a lot of things to Ireland. They're much cheaper.

Bastards won't even ship me a darn mousepad.

osv4FvU.png

Price as it is though, if AMD really can't compete I'm just ordering that. Been sitting with my thumb up my arse with the MG278Q Freesync since my Fury X died. If reference air Vega really is the same as the FE I'd have not moved in performance in two years.

Just now, Valentyn said:

I pay around €2350 for that. I hate that Amazon.co.uk refuses to ship a lot of things to Ireland. They're much cheaper.

osv4FvU.png

Price as it is though, if AMD really can't compete I'm just ordering that. Been sitting with my thumb up my arse with the MG278Q Freesync since my Fury X died. If reference air Vega really is the same as the FE I'd have not moved in performance in two years.

At that point, it would be cheaper to send it to a friend in the UK, and ferry/drive over there to pick it up. Damn. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

I pay around €2350 for that. I hate that Amazon.co.uk refuses to ship a lot of things to Ireland. They're much cheaper.

osv4FvU.png

You can still use the monitor you have without freesync if needed! Personnally I'll probably buy a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, and get a 1080ti or vega, whichever can achieve high enough framerate so that freesync or g-sync don't even matter.

Just now, Notional said:

At that point, it would be cheaper to send it to a friend in the UK, and ferry/drive over there to pick it up. Damn. 

Yeah but the warranty and RMA is usually linked to the shipping address. Very few places bother to transfer it.

It's really annoying, since I use to order a ton of computer components and monitos from Amazon. Now they suddenly refuse to ship stuff.

For small items I can use Parcel Motel to send things to me, as they're a courier company which you ship to in the UK, and then pay them to ship to ireland. I wouldn't trust them with over two grands worth though.

Too bad though. I really expected livestream. 

But oh well. We'll finally get release unit and details along benchmarks very soon. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, laminutederire said:

You can still use the monitor you have without freesync if needed! Personnally I'll probably buy a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, and get a 1080ti or vega, whichever can achieve high enough framerate so that freesync or g-sync don't even matter.

I have a 144Hz Freesync monitor. Sync makes a massive difference, even at the high frames. It does for me at least. I've been without my Fury X for a long time now, and on 980Ti. Not as good as it was. :(

Just now, Prysin said:

slightly crooked portrait mode, with a slight backwards list so you dont really see some parts

Taken on an iPhone 3G.

This sucks, I watched their previous launches.

Are they afraid we will criticize them again for not showing direct performance numbers?