AMD Won't be livestreaming Siggraph and Vega's launch

Valentyn
1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

AMD is fucked if it's a multi-year wait from now.   They can't keep above water selling "good value" products, they need Titan Xp's and 7980XE's that don't cost anything extra to manufacture but fetch a premium price.

Um, it is highly unlikely that the 7980XE will significantly outperform the 1950X. Hell, it's possible AVX loads are included in that because the thing will throttle virtually instantly. You might end up with a situation where the lesser core count i9s are actually better at AVX workloads than the 16 and 18 core processors simply because of thermal throttling.

7 hours ago, Derangel said:

The box is probably a box for the Threadripper CPU either that or just some neat looking piece of tat for Linus to have/display.

the box has Radeon Vega inscription

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

8 hours ago, Derangel said:

According to Kyle Bennett of HardOCP he is not aware of any site given review units at this point. So don't count on a ton of reviews popping up tomorrow unless AMD decided to focus solely on "influences" again.

It seems Linus has two version, Hardware Canucks has two as well, bitwit does as well, so I'd lean towards at least the second ! Unless they sent ones to sites as well but put that under NDA as well?

Edit: scratch that they're probably just in ad's booth in advance or something, hence the pictures. Maybe they'll leave with review samples though ! (Except Linus who has his' without putting a foot in siggraph )

13 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

It seems Linus has two version, Hardware Canucks has two as well, bitwit does as well, so I'd lean towards at least the second ! Unless they sent ones to sites as well but put that under NDA as well?

Edit: scratch that they're probably just in ad's booth in advance or something, hence the pictures. Maybe they'll leave with review samples though ! (Except Linus who has his' without putting a foot in siggraph )

Board partners only get their final rx vega Bios on August 2nd.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/board-partner-bios-release-schedule-radeon-rx-vega-leaks.html

This suggests it's a last minute scramble for AMD to have everything ready in time for Siggraph. So maybe review samples will take some time.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

Board partners only get their final rx vega Bios on August 2nd.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/board-partner-bios-release-schedule-radeon-rx-vega-leaks.html

This suggests it's a last minute scramble for AMD to have everything ready in time for Siggraph. So maybe review samples will take some time.

That or they're doing like the 480's: reference design first, then AIB, except this time they give the final bios early so that there is less delay before those variants arrive?

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

That or they're doing like the 480's: reference design first, then AIB, except this time they give the final bios early so that there is less delay before those variants arrive?

could be but it's too much of a coincidence that they happen to give th BIOS to board partners during launch week. I am thinking it wasn't ready before.

ps- I wonder if we can bios flash between Rx Vega and Vega FE.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

could be but it's too much of a coincidence that they happen to give th BIOS to board partners during launch week. I am thinking it wasn't ready before.

ps- I wonder if we can bios flash between Rx Vega and Vega FE.

Videocardz has clocks and pricing. The Air cooled cards are clocked lower than the Frontier Edition. That's worrying, unless there was some magic BIOS and drivers for performance.

mJoHIfasQF_KjM5qyDSTvA.png

QF5xdb-rSkia681l9cEfsw.png

https://videocardz.com/71393/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-rumored-pricing-and-clocks

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

9 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Videocardz has clocks and pricing. The Air cooled cards are clocked lower than the Frontier Edition. That's worrying, unless there was some magic BIOS and drivers for performance.

mJoHIfasQF_KjM5qyDSTvA.png

QF5xdb-rSkia681l9cEfsw.png

https://videocardz.com/71393/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-rumored-pricing-and-clocks

Those clocks feel.. weird. Why so much difference between boost and base?

12 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Those clocks feel.. weird. Why so much difference between boost and base?

Why are they clocked well below the air cooled Frontier Edition as well!

Hints to massive new driver and bios? Who knows, but the reference air RX cards look to be GTX 1070 performance at best at those clocks.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Why are they clocked well below the air cooled Frontier Edition as well!

Hints to massive new driver and bios? Who knows, but the reference air RX cards look to be GTX 1070 performance at best at those clocks.

Well, less than a day to wait, so I personnally give up!

Others leaks did mention something like 1677 MHz at least. We'll see soon enough. The premium for the limited edition isn't too high at least in those leaks, and the prices look more like real prices, as they're in the 1080-1080ti msrp ranges!

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Well, less than a day to wait, so I personnally give up!

Others leaks did mention something like 1677 MHz at least. We'll see soon enough. The premium for the limited edition isn't too high at least in those leaks, and the prices look more like real prices, as they're in the 1080-1080ti msrp ranges!

1677Mhz Boost on the AIO water one.

Frontier Edition's AIO couldn't even reach 1600Mhz boost without playing with the voltage and power. 

So many questions, so little time. AMD has until tomorrow morning to impress me or it's G-Sync Ultrawide and 1080Ti.

45 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

1677Mhz Boost on the AIO water one.

Frontier Edition's AIO couldn't even reach 1600Mhz boost without playing with the voltage and power. 

So many questions, so little time. AMD has until tomorrow morning to impress me or it's G-Sync Ultrawide and 1080Ti.

Ahah you're lucky to have the money :P for me it'll be freesync 1440p@144Hz and 1080ti or Vega :)

The air one could as well, just not for everyone though? I'll have to re check that

13 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Ahah you're lucky to have the money :P for me it'll be freesync 1440p@144Hz and 1080ti or Vega :)

The air one could as well, just not for everyone though? I'll have to re check that

Been waiting to upgrade since the Polaris hype. :P

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Been waiting to upgrade since the Polaris hype. :P

At least you can't say vega is overhyped :P

Ryzen launch was exciting but i feel like Vega is going to underwhelm, Nvidia is still going to have a clear edge IMO.

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

At least you can't say vega is overhyped :P

It's certainly been a rollercoaster of tech emotions that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

It's certainly been a rollercoaster of tech emotions that's for sure.

It isn't over yet!

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Videocardz has clocks and pricing. The Air cooled cards are clocked lower than the Frontier Edition. That's worrying, unless there was some magic BIOS and drivers for performance

What matters now is the ipc in gaming worloads. For Vega FE the gaming ipc was no better than fury X. It was actually a bit worse! Although the workstation ipc was massively improved.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2977-vega-fe-vs-fury-x-at-same-clocks-ipc

rx vega needs to translate some of those ipc gains in to gaming workloads. I am more concerned about that than clockspeeds tbh. Although both are factors in final performance.

if they cannot bring the ipc gains then we have to ask AMD what went wrong? you don't spend years creating a radical new architecture to have it perform like an overclocked fury x.

14 minutes ago, Humbug said:

What matters now is the ipc in gaming worloads. For Vega FE the gaming ipc was no better than fury X. It was actually a bit worse! Although the workstation ipc was massively improved.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2977-vega-fe-vs-fury-x-at-same-clocks-ipc

rx vega needs to translate some of those ipc gains in to gaming workloads. I am more concerned about that than clockspeeds tbh. Although both are factors in final performance.

if they cannot bring the ipc gains then we have to ask AMD what went wrong? you don't spend years creating a radical new architecture to have it perform like an overclocked fury x.

Exactly. The entire Vega series is all over the place so far.

Ive got my deadline of the best 48 hours. Before I jump ship and my freesync panel gets moved to the side. 

I hope AMD can deliver on it all, as my Fury x was great. Before that I hadn't used AMD since the truly amazing 4870x2

Well if AMD gets competitive that might mean we'll get volta sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Don't count on it. I highly doubt Nvida is going to change its plans for Volta regardless of what AMD does. Nvidia can just drop prices on current cards if AMD manages to actually release something competitive at good prices.

2 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

yes.

and then it will be 'poor volta' as it too is annihilated by Vega.

that's what AMDs marketing department thinks anyway.

5 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Do we know if Linus was actually allowed to keep that system? If things are not finalized on the BIOS front or what not AMD might have required him to send the system back after the convention.

4 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Do we know if Linus was actually allowed to keep that system? If things are not finalized on the BIOS front or what not AMD might have required him to send the system back after the convention.

I personnally think that the bios is already ready since something like the beginning of the week, or that any additional change can be flashed on it easily enough for tech veterans like Linus. Physical transfer costs both money and time, and I think neither Linus nor AMD have the time to spare, as the reviews kinda have to be ready as soon as possible.