AMD Won't be livestreaming Siggraph and Vega's launch

Valentyn
Just now, Humbug said:

This sucks, I watched their previous launches.

Hype for years and then don't show us the launch.

Are they afraid we will criticize them again for not showing direct performance numbers?

no, they are afraid direct performance numbers, shown at the event MAY just end up scaring away those people hellbent on buying at launch. because, LIKE IVE SAID SINCE FEBRUARY, Vega will not beat Nvidia.

Also, calling it now; Navi WILL NOT beat the XX80Ti it will be matched against, it will get close, but not beat it. EVEN after driver optimizations and all that has happened 6 months after launch.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

This sucks, I watched their previous launches.

Are they afraid we will criticize them again for not showing direct performance numbers?

Who knows, but it really doesn't exude confidence at all.

AMD was always loud and proud on launches and happily showed off. Even with Polaris when everyone was expecting a GTX 1080 competitor back then.

This is just weird. Siggraph is my trigger point for a new GPU and monitor. Red or green. The die is cast; and just waiting on Raja to deliver. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

Also, calling it now; Navi WILL NOT beat the XX80Ti it will be matched against, it will get close, but not beat it.

How do you know anything about Navi?

Intel's next IGP release will be superior to both Nvidia and AMD, why? because i have Pysin's mind.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

22 minutes ago, Humbug said:

How do you know anything about Navi?

How did i know Vega would land where it did 5.5 months before launch with just TWO really crappy pre-production board video clips of performance?

I wont reveal my sources, nor will i discuss how i know (cuz that might cost me my sources), but i'm calling it. Feel free to disagree, 16-24 months till NAVI launch, depending on yields.

We will see pre-production shipping manifests of Navi float around the web somewhere around Q2 next year.

EDIT: Nvidia already is ready for pre-production test of their Volta successor. Volta is ready for launch, has been for nearly half a year, they are just milking Pascal

Edit 2: Hint, LInkedin and social media is a easy way to get to insiders :|

Edit 3: i dont use my same handle all over the web, so you wont find me so easily, and thus backtrack to my sources. But you are welcome to try

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

poor nVidia

now they're busy debating on how high they would start selling Volta based cards

You jest but that actually should be a debate for them: They might be able to delay their next product for several months or if they haven't started mass production perhaps even skip the first Volta iteration entirely.

What's the point anyway if AMD won't be able to seriously compete? Beyond the jokes AMD fucking Vega up will seriously stifle progress due to lack of competition.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yeah vega is a flop. Hardcore fanboys will drop #WaitForVega for #WaitForNavi sometime in the next 12-24 hours

I've been saying all along (though not as a fanboy) that Navi is where the real interesting stuff will happen.  Vega is just a stepping stone.  I had hopes for it, but even that's waning.

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

I have a 144Hz Freesync monitor. Sync makes a massive difference, even at the high frames. It does for me at least. I've been without my Fury X for a long time now, and on 980Ti. Not as good as it was. :(

That's because nvidia being cheating duplicating frames ;)

More seriously, you're unlucky I guess, Personnally I don't see the difference! Once you get past the 144Hz, it shouldn't matter anyway theoretically. You should have been at sub 144hz then?

43 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yeah vega is a flop. Hardcore fanboys will drop #WaitForVega for #WaitForNavi sometime in the next 12-24 hours

I'm not so sure, have you seen the r/AMD subreddit? It seems people are tired of waiting, tho I'm sure some people will say such things, I dont think it will have the same number of people saying it, not by a long shot. Unless Volta is extremely expensive or shitty (Fermi House Fire anyone?) :P

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Wow Vega is looking to be baaadddddd

I was planning on getting it since freesync shenanigans but if it ends up being horrible idk what to do :/ 

Normie meme but goodie meme

1452041830_b3b384c119a4c4e8139c9954fb0ee211.jpg.acfcfa88595f57ab5e16d3a1347780ae.jpg

So fucking relatable though.

I guess it just gives me a reason to get a 1080. Unless Vega is almost or right on par with the 1080 and costs the same as or less than it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Some perspective is key.  If someone said in 2015 that AMD would be competitive in both cpu AND gpu performance by 2017 we would call them a crazy person.

AMD has fixed their cpu problem. Let them generate some cash, and I'm sure they can do better on the gpu front.  Cpu performance is and should be the priority as it's going to secure their future.

Well Linus has a Limited Edition Vega card.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

poor nVidia

now they're busy debating on how high they would start selling Volta based cards

Do you think there will be a Volta GTX 1150/1150ti. The plain old 1050 already beats my RX 460 by ~10-15% so whatever Volta has to replace the 1050 would hopefully be even better unless they start acting like Intel with tiny 5% incremental improvements.

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well Linus has a Limited Edition Vega card.

I ned that for my white define r4 

Linus has more Vega, and Threadripper!

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

You jest but that actually should be a debate for them: They might be able to delay their next product for several months or if they haven't started mass production perhaps even skip the first Volta iteration entirely.

What's the point anyway if AMD won't be able to seriously compete? Beyond the jokes AMD fucking Vega up will seriously stifle progress due to lack of competition.

Nvidia cannot "hold" their GPUs too long. Because AMD will beat them on Price to performance, and slowly eat at their install base. Nvidia counters this by launching "Flashy shit" Titans first to grab ALL attention in the GPU market, then "bread and butter" cards second, aka 50,60,70,80 - capitalizing on their flashy hype train. Then the Ti "last" as AMD tries to counter the bread and butter cards. Thus they completely outplay AMD, they have been doing it this way for the last 3-4 generations, and it is working overwhelmingly well. The only reason AMD has gained some market share GPU wise has been that AMD has managed to defeat Nvidia in the "Entry to medium" range, aka XX50, XX60, XX60Ti. But AMD still has no real competitors able to dethrone Nvidia at the XX80Ti level, and they WONT for the next few years.

The only way AMD can beat Nvidia is to redesign its driver stack from scratch, redesign its libraries from scratch, redesign its PCIe protocol from scratch and then tighten latencies ALL through the pipeline.

Look at what Nvidia has been doing... Pascal is nothing but a polished Maxwell. Same pipeline, with tweaks. Volta is going to be a slight deviation of Pascal, but the fundamental pipeline layout will remain the same. And why not? The concept works, they can gain 20-30% performance from just tightening up latencies and optimizing some sections of the pipeline.

Meanwhile AMD has to make a whole new fucking GCN iteration, nearly from scratch, just to compete with Nvidias TWEAKS. Understand this, AMD is in no position to compete on performance, and they will not be in that position until the whole GCN design is scratched or heavily redesigned. It simply isn't good enough to beat nvidia.

3 hours ago, Notional said:

At that point, it would be cheaper to send it to a friend in the UK, and ferry/drive over there to pick it up. Damn. 

Oh god! The Greenside is tempting me even more! The price has dropped on the monitor by a substantial amount.

This feels like the one ring tempting me..... Need to resist until Siggraph at least.

TULdTK96RgO7xpZ6mL5wwg.png

I want Vega to be really good now just to laugh at AMD master trolling.

"see you motherfuckers doubted us!"

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Probably to avoid a PR issue when Demo~ing the 400+watt GPU on crossfire being a fire hazard

Details separate people.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I want Vega to be really good now just to laugh at AMD master trolling.

"see you motherfuckers doubted us!"

poes law,  fanatic stupidity and trolling are indistinguishable. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean, I'll be there, I could post live updates. Probably on Reddit live or Medium.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0