Has he dropped it yet?

No drop test yet; will maybe livestream that later. :P

Here it is inside the Threadripper machine/

amd-radoen-rx-vega-64-le-2-e1501361633780

qBh5bT4.jpg

Siq6byR.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I am honestly not too bothered by this.

Press events are 90% marketing and lies anyway, and I am sure sites like Anandtech will do live blogs.

Vega doesn't look promising though, and I doubt this move will fill their fans with confidence.

Side note: I totally can't wait for the endless stream of "just wait for better drivers!" to flood every single GPU discussion if Vega ends up not being that good.

My guess is that it will either be the driver argument or the "FreeSync monitors are much cheaper!" argument that people will clutch to if Vega is a failure.

10 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Siq6byR.jpg

RGB 8pin.. nvidia can't innovate like that ;)

Have you an idea of what is that red cube next to the card all about?

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Normie meme but goodie meme

1452041830_b3b384c119a4c4e8139c9954fb0ee211.jpg.acfcfa88595f57ab5e16d3a1347780ae.jpg

So fucking relatable though.

I guess it just gives me a reason to get a 1080. Unless Vega is almost or right on par with the 1080 and costs the same as or less than it.

Got a job to play video games. 

No time for video games. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

RGB 8pin.. nvidia can't innovate like that ;)

Have you an idea of what is that red cube next to the card all about?

Hmm top card shows 8+6 pin physical.

zZO4Q7n.jpg?1

Bottom has 8+8 Physical; even though wiring is 8+6. HmmmmO.o

XuogAaZ.jpg

15 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

No drop test yet; will maybe livestream that later. :P

Here it is inside the Threadripper machine/

qBh5bT4.jpg

Siq6byR.jpg

What's in the box?

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Hmm top card shows 8+6 pin physical.

zZO4Q7n.jpg?1

Bottom has 8+8 Physical; even though wiring is 8+6. HmmmmO.o

XuogAaZ.jpg

Seems like 8+6 to me. Isn't the top card the one that was pulled out from the Alienware crossfire setup?

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Seems like 8+6 to me. Isn't the top card the one that was pulled out from the Alienware crossfire setup?

Bigger image. It's Physical 8+8 on the card in the machine but wired 8+6. Where as the other card is 8+6 connection wise.

AMD-Radoen-RX-Vega-64-LE-2-e150136163378

Just now, Valentyn said:

Bigger image. It's Physical 8+8 on the card in the machine... but wired 8+6. Where as the other card is 8+6 connection wise.

XT and XL model sent out for review with Threadripper by amd?

Just now, laminutederire said:

XT and XL model sent out for review with Threadripper by amd?

Could be. Hopefully NDA is up with reviews at the same time or shortly thereafter.

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Could be. Hopefully NDA is up with reviews at the same time or shortly thereafter.

In before Linus benchmarks the XL, thinking it's the XT, say it's so bad, and then benchmark the XT thinking it's the XL, revealing it's amazing compared to what it was supposed to be :P

They're quite looking the same both of them.

What about the weird box that He has in his hand? For you guys on site, you had that info?

4 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Price is shown in Brexit dollas; and I pay around €2350 for that. I hate that Amazon.co.uk refuses to ship a lot of things to Ireland. They're much cheaper.

Bastards won't even ship me a darn mousepad.

osv4FvU.png

Price as it is though, if AMD really can't compete I'm just ordering that. Been sitting with my thumb up my arse with the MG278Q Freesync since my Fury X died. If reference air Vega really is the same as the FE I'd have not moved in performance in two years.

Why not use Parcel motel/Parcel wizard mate?

3 minutes ago, BazNaz said:

Why not use Parcel motel/Parcel wizard mate?

I've used them before, but can't be arsed paying them after paying Amazon; and then paying extra for "extended coverage". It also adds a longer delay in it getting delivered.

I'll likely go to Scan, they've marked the monitor down to the same Price as Amazon, and the shipping is much cheaper. Only £11 in total for GPU + Monitor.

but.. but... they're supposed to launch Threadripper too...

wtf this  bullshit... I want a livestream!!!

change.org

livestream or riot !!!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

According to Kyle Bennett of HardOCP he is not aware of any site given review units at this point. So don't count on a ton of reviews popping up tomorrow unless AMD decided to focus solely on "influences" again.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

In before Linus benchmarks the XL, thinking it's the XT, say it's so bad, and then benchmark the XT thinking it's the XL, revealing it's amazing compared to what it was supposed to be :P

They're quite looking the same both of them.

What about the weird box that He has in his hand? For you guys on site, you had that info?

The box is probably a box for the Threadripper CPU either that or just some neat looking piece of tat for Linus to have/display.

OOOOooooo, not a good sign. Not at all. That AMD confidence doesn't seem to be here, which seems pretty telling to me.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 hours ago, 2Buck said:

OOOOooooo, not a good sign. Not at all. That AMD confidence doesn't seem to be here, which seems pretty telling to me.

Firmware lock date isn't until Aug 2 for AIB cards, so it's probably a "paper" launch for about a week and I still think it's going to launch with TR on Aug 10 for the reference cards.

d2d65c32432cbd5363ef948a62d70612a4ddb429

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Vega doesn't look promising though, and I doubt this move will fill their fans with confidence.

Side note: I totally can't wait for the endless stream of "just wait for better drivers!" to flood every single GPU discussion if Vega ends up not being that good.

My guess is that it will either be the driver argument or the "FreeSync monitors are much cheaper!" argument that people will clutch to if Vega is a failure.

Well it seems like now that Vega is not a game changing part.

But in that case what AMD has to hope for is that they will only concede the flagship crown to Nvidia. Like the Fiji launch...

In the Fiji Launch the Fury X lost to the GTX  980ti.

However the R9 Fury was better than the GTX 980.

Similarly this time AMD must be hoping that even if they can't win the top end part that they can capture the next tier and sell some GPUs.

It would still be a disappointing product given that it is so late, but at least it would improve their market position (because right now they are only competitive upto RX 580 price range).

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

However the R9 Fury was better than the GTX 980.

let's put it this way, if they can bring a card that costs less than the gtx 1080 but performs better or similar, then they won. 

i am hoping for the best, we need competition in the GPU space.  

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

let's put it this way, if they can bring a card that costs less than the gtx 1080 but performs better or similar, then they won.

Well they are still ridiculously late.

But right now if you want to buy anything faster than a RX580 / GTX 1060 then AMD is not in the picture.

Hopefully after this launch AMD will be in the picture even as you go above GTX 1080 performance.

Then AMD only drops out of the picture if you are going for the absolute halo part in the GTX 1080ti.

This would still mean Vega is a disappointment after so long. But at least it allows them to have a competitive product in almost the entire spectrum from low end to high end and improve their GPU market share for now..... while money flows in from the CPU division.

9 hours ago, elkenrod said:

Some perspective is key.  If someone said in 2015 that AMD would be competitive in both cpu AND gpu performance by 2017 we would call them a crazy person.

AMD has fixed their cpu problem. Let them generate some cash, and I'm sure they can do better on the gpu front.  Cpu performance is and should be the priority as it's going to secure their future.

According to Raja Koduri the reason AMD got into trouble in the GPU market was not just lack of cash, but that AMD made some very wrong predictions about the GPU market before RTG was formed.

A few years ago the management thought that APUs are going to be the future and that discrete GPUs were going to decline. So they cut investment into discrete GPUs and they bet on the fusion of graphics + CPU onto the same die.

fusion2.jpg

Now at this time AMD was still doing well in high end graphics. But when you withdraw R&D focus from a particular area it takes many years before that impact is felt in shipping products. We are feeling it now, because GPUs / CPUs take so many years to develop...

AMD did not expect the current market. PC gaming has grown stronger. While overall PC shipments are down the PC gamer segment is doing well. Steam and Origin are getting bigger by the day and have been for years. And it's happening almost everywhere in the world. APUs weren't able to develop fast enough to compete with discrete GPUs. Game developers keep asking for more horsepower.

Then AMD realized that they had screwed up. So in 2015 Raja Koduri got his wish. He spearheaded the establishment of the Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) headed by himself. Now the focus and R&D and company structure and everything is once again optimized to researching, developing and shipping discrete graphics from low end to high end. But once again it takes a few years for that impact will be felt in shipping products. Even Vega isn't their brainchild.

6 hours ago, DXMember said:

but.. but... they're supposed to launch Threadripper too...

wtf this  bullshit... I want a livestream!!!

change.org

livestream or riot !!!

I completely forgot Threadripper is going to be announced too: Fuck you AMD I was looking forward to that but now it will be buried beneath the shame of your stupid GPU.

At least is not buried beneath more shit for cars like a certain other GPU company loves to do.

-------

Current Rig

-------

40 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Then AMD realized that they had screwed up. So in 2015 Raja Koduri got his wish. He spearheaded the establishment of the Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) headed by himself. Now the focus and R&D and company structure and everything is once again optimized to researching, developing and shipping discrete graphics from low end to high end. But once again it takes a few years for that impact will be felt in shipping products. Even Vega isn't their brainchild.

AMD is fucked if it's a multi-year wait from now.   They can't keep above water selling "good value" products, they need Titan Xp's and 7980XE's that don't cost anything extra to manufacture but fetch a premium price.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

25 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

AMD is fucked if it's a multi-year wait from now.   They can't keep above water selling "good value" products, they need Titan Xp's and 7980XE's that don't cost anything extra to manufacture but fetch a premium price.

7980XE is a CPU, AMD is doing well on that front thanks to Zen cores.

AMD is not fucked by any stretch.

They cut their losses and got through the worst period in their history. Biggest challenge was coming up with gen1 Zen CPU cores. They pulled that off and have begun reaping the rewards in terms of cashflow just last quarter. Even then Ryzen 5 didn't have a full quarter. 

And all this is still without upcoming products also based on Zen cores. Like Ryzen 3 low end, threadripper high end, Epyc server parts, APUs for laptops, future console wins, and future iterations in IPC with Ryzen2, Ryzen3 etc in the next few years.

As far as GPUs go Navi will be the first design bourne out of RTG. But even if that sucks AMD is not fucked by stretch.

They would have been fucked if Zen cores sucked.