Intel Core i9 Processors Might be Incoming

5 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

The i9 name seems absolutely retarded. no way.

Why? It's never made sense for the HEDT to be given the next generation's i7 nomenclature. Calling it i9 at least distances it in a sensible way.

4 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Why? It's never made sense for the HEDT to be given the next generation's i7 nomenclature. Calling it i9 at least distances it in a sensible way.

But... you could just call it HEDT.

or if the rumors are true, call them all eXtreme edtion.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

If you think the 1700$ cpu is bad , you should look at this .The 6950x is far from the most expensive consumer cpu they ever made xD 

3000$ with inflation

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-II/Intel-Pentium II 300 - 80522PX300512EC (B80522P300512E).html

I had a pentium 2.

Was playing counter strike 1.5 on it, with a dedicated gpu I bought with my own money as a kid,

Was awesome

4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm moving this to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory sub-forum as even though we might allow for rumors in the Tech News sub-forum, this is likely not to be true at all. 

Its still more credible than other rumours that moderators have allowed in the tech news and reviews section, and since its in WAN show, it really should be moved back.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm moving this to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory sub-forum as even though we might allow for rumors in the Tech News sub-forum, this is likely not to be true at all. 

haha man. This news almost published in every news websites. The cache numbers might not be true, these numbers could've been from engineering samples or something. Not sure. I feel like this deserves place in Tech News.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

22 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its still more credible than other rumours that moderators have allowed in the tech news and reviews section, and since its in WAN show, it really should be moved back.

As I mentioned earlier, it's going to be interesting if we find out that the cache numbers are correct for good reason. 

Take from one area to improve another. 

There's only 16.5 MB of cache for a 12 Core processor? Even the four year old Ivy-Bridge based Xeon processors can put the new Core i9 processors to shame.

7 hours ago, dexT said:

Let me smell the cardboard that the box will be made out of.

Fine

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Core i9 was already rumoured years ago when it where originally releasing the 6 core parts iirc. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Seems like I will be getting an i9 rig later this summer then =)

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

14 hours ago, yian88 said:

The glory days are long gone when you could buy an AMD Athlon dual-core or intel core 2 duo for <100$,

The cheapest C2D was $110~. 

or 1st gen i5 120$

The cheapest first gen i5 was $177. 

Nowdays its just rip off 400$ i7 or 150$ dual core i3, meh, 4 core ryzen 1400 200$+? no ty.

Or a $65 G4560 that is more than capable of keeping up with a mid range gpu. 

A 1400 is $160. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Some numbers should not be on products, especially when there is a i in front of it. i9 just don't sound right, the same reason, there is no i6.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

But... you could just call it HEDT.

or if the rumors are true, call them all eXtreme edtion.

Colloquially people did, but technically only the very top HEDT product was ever officially called Extreme Edition (3960X, 4960X, 5960X, 6950X).

I dunno, this just makes more sense to me. Mind you, I never understood why Radeon's R5, R7 and R9 branding got so much hate. I don't see the difference between that and i3, i5, i7 and now i9, or Ryzen 3, 5 and 7. It's just clearly displaying the market segmentation, and calling both the mainstream and HEDT "i7"s isn't accurate.

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Colloquially people did, but technically only the very top HEDT product was ever officially called Extreme Edition (3960X, 4960X, 5960X, 6950X).

I dunno, this just makes more sense to me. Mind you, I never understood why Radeon's R5, R7 and R9 branding got so much hate. I don't see the difference between that and i3, i5, i7 and now i9, or Ryzen 3, 5 and 7. It's just clearly displaying the market segmentation, and calling both the mainstream and HEDT "i7"s isn't accurate.

Well the leaks say that they all have an X, so they're all eXtreme edition.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Well the leaks say that they all have an X, so they're all eXtreme edition.

So?

16 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The name, and the cache size. As far as I'm concerned, no engineer would use 13.75MB as a cache number, nor 16.5MB. They would use nice, divisible numbers.

Intel Skylake-X/W/SP cache FAQ:

• What are Skylake-X/W/SP?
    • Skylake-X/W/SP are server-derived processors based on the "Skylake" microarchitecture (aka 6/7/8-th generation Core).
    • Skylake-X/W are for single-socket HEDT and workstation. Skylake-SP replaces E5 and E7 for multi-socket servers.
  • Why are the L3 cache sizes funny numbers in Skylake-X/W/SP?
    • L3 cache size in Skylake-X/W/SP is 1.375 MB per core. A 10-core processor will have 13.75 MB of L3 cache, and the full 28-core die will have 38.5 MB of L3 cache.
  • Why did Intel reduce the cache size in Skylake-X/W/SP?
    • The total cache size did not decrease with Skylake-X/W/SP. Previously, server-derived processors had 256 kB of L2 cache and 2.5 MB of L3 cache per core. The L3 cache was inclusive of L2, so the total memory cached was 2.5 MB per core.
    • Skylake-X/W/SP revises the cache hierarchy so that L2 is 1 MB in size and L3 is 1.375 MB in size. L3 is now exclusive of L2, so the total memory cached is now 2.375 MB per core, an insignificant difference.
  • Why did Intel redesign the cache hierarchy for Skylake-X/W/SP?
    • Since Haswell-EP/EX, bandwidth to the L3 cache has been a limiting factor for scaling up workloads. The L3 bandwidth is independent of the core count, so processors with higher core counts face L3 bandwidth starvation. In addition, the power intensive nature of the L3 limited the uncore clock frequency to ~2.4 GHz, further reducing the bandwidth available.
    • Scaling to 28 cores in Skylake-SP and beyond was not sustainable with 2.5 MB per core.
  • How come AMD Zen can support 32 cores with 2 MB of L3 cache per core?
    • Zen is fundamentally a 4-core architecture. The L3 caches of the 4-core modules are not unified, and accesses to memory cached on other cores incurs a penalty.
    • 16-core and 32-core Zen processors will consist of bundles of 8-core processors, which themselves consist of independent 4-core modules. Scaling of traditional workstation and Big Iron workloads will be lesser compared to Intel Xeon-SP processors.
  • Will Skylake-X/W/SP have 10% or more IPC compared to Skylake client processors?
    • No.

Now consumers can have a sweet chip that cost 2k that Intel will tell them to not overclock. ?

33 minutes ago, lolfail9002 said:

• Skylake-X/W/SP are server-derived processors based on the "Skylake" microarchitecture (aka 6/7/8-th generation Core).
    • Skylake-X/W are for single-socket HEDT and workstation. Skylake-SP replaces E5 and E7 for multi-socket servers.
    • L3 cache size in Skylake-X/W/SP is 1.375 MB per core. A 10-core processor will have 13.75 MB of L3 cache, and the full 28-core die will have 38.5 MB of L3 cache.
    • The total cache size did not decrease with Skylake-X/W/SP. Previously, server-derived processors had 256 kB of L2 cache and 2.5 MB of L3 cache per core. The L3 cache was inclusive of L2, so the total memory cached was 2.5 MB per core.
    • Skylake-X/W/SP revises the cache hierarchy so that L2 is 1 MB in size and L3 is 1.375 MB in size. L3 is now exclusive of L2, so the total memory cached is now 2.375 MB per core, an insignificant difference.
    • Since Haswell-EP/EX, bandwidth to the L3 cache has been a limiting factor for scaling up workloads. The L3 bandwidth is independent of the core count, so processors with higher core counts face L3 bandwidth starvation. In addition, the power intensive nature of the L3 limited the uncore clock frequency to ~2.4 GHz, further reducing the bandwidth available.
    • Scaling to 28 cores in Skylake-SP and beyond was not sustainable with 2.5 MB per core.
    • Zen is fundamentally a 4-core architecture. The L3 caches of the 4-core modules are not unified, and accesses to memory cached on other cores incurs a penalty.
    • 16-core and 32-core Zen processors will consist of bundles of 8-core processors, which themselves consist of independent 4-core modules. Scaling of traditional workstation and Big Iron workloads will be lesser compared to Intel Xeon-SP processors.
  • Will Skylake-X/W/SP have 10% or more IPC compared to Skylake client processors?
    • No.

Sounds like less wasted cycles heading our way.  :D

i9 is just a number.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

59 minutes ago, lolfail9002 said:

• No.

Can you provide a link please? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

He's obviously leaking the info to us.  1st post and it happens to be this?  

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is there a specific aspect of which you are skeptical? The information I provided is based on publicly available leaks and some common sense.

Factual claims:

Skylake-X/W/SP branding: look for the original leaked slides of Purley

L3 cache sizing: the Xeon Gold/Platinum lineup was leaked a while back, and it includes the cache size

L2 cache sizing: look for SiSoft benchmarks of Xeon Platinum 8180

Zen: read Anandtech or other review

Interpretations:

cache redesign reason: if you look at some old reviews of Haswell-EP, it's fairly clear that the L3 can't grow forever

Skylake-X/W/SP IPC: common sense, but you can also rent a virtual machine from Google and confirm it yourself

1 hour ago, lolfail9002 said:

Is there a specific aspect of which you are skeptical? The information I provided is based on publicly available leaks and some common sense.

Then show me those leaked slides. I looked up the FAQ using Google, expecting to find something, but found absolutely nothing, so here I am asking you for links to support your claims.

Just because it can't grow doesn't mean Intel would use a weird number like that. And even so, what do you mean it can't grow "forever"? You can increase the portion of the die responsible for L3 cache. Yes, you might get a bigger die, but the tradeoff might be worth it. 

I'm not renting a virtual machine from Google. If I have to spend money to prove it, I'm probably not going to do it because it could be absolute nonsense. 

Another thing about the cache size. Why would Intel choose 16.75MB as their number(even basing it around cache size limit) when the 5960X has 20MB of L3 cache, and it has less cores than the supposed 12 core version.

Spoiler

1%20-%20Processors.png

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you don't want to believe, I can't make you. You can enter "Platinum 8180" into SiSoft and see most of the details. The reason the L3 cache needs to be reduced is because it was already too slow in Haswell-EP, which had only 18 cores. To overcome the L3 bottleneck, the L2 cache was increased to reduce the reliance on a single unified cache. Notice how the sum of L2 and L3 is almost exactly the same as the previous L3. The 5960X and other small cores are not proof of anything, as Intel only designs for the largest die and produces other processors by cutting it.

EDIT: It's even on the first page of results. Here.

On 2017-5-12 at 8:52 PM, RadiatingLight said:

The i9 name seems absolutely retarded. no way.

other than that, we all knew that X299 and Skylake-X was coming. but they will be way more expensive than Ryzen.

i3/5/7 or most other tech naming schemes aren't? 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W