Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

did you even read the article or stopped at the title?

my guess is the later

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

did you even read the article or stopped at the title?

my guess is the later

I read the article, did you?

They were asked by the government roughly 4000 times and complied with 3100 of the requests.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2017/01/government-request-reports-google-apple-and-microsoft/

This ones nice too

During the reporting period of January 1 – June 30, 2016, Apple received 4825 device requests regarding 10263 devices in the North American region. Apple provided data for 78% of those requests. Interestingly, the numbers differ greatly across regions. For example, in Germany the company received 12633 requests regarding 52095 devices, of which only 53% were satisfied. Russia submitted 126 requests about 425 devices, of which 44% were satisfied.

Also, it's spelled latter not later 

@GoodBytes

Interesting to note that on the product page it says 

[2] Colors available on i5-7200U 8GB/256GB model only; available colors may vary by store.

Clean and elegant, Surface Laptop complements your style with a choice of four rich tone-on-tone color combinations2—Platinum, Burgundy, Cobalt Blue, and Graphite Gold.

Teh i7 model is only available in 'Platinum'

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

I read the article, did you?

They were asked by the government roughly 4000 times and complied with 3100 of the requests.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2017/01/government-request-reports-google-apple-and-microsoft/

This ones nice too

how about you start reading what you post and not just cherry pick bits that suit you hey?

During the reporting period of January 1 – June 30, 2016, Apple received 4825 device requests regarding 10263 devices in the North American region. Apple provided data for 78% of those requests. Interestingly, the numbers differ greatly across regions. For example, in Germany the company received 12633 requests regarding 52095 devices, of which only 53% were satisfied. Russia submitted 126 requests about 425 devices, of which 44% were satisfied.

According to Apple, only a tiny fraction (0.00612%) of its customers were affected by information requests. Worldwide, some 94% of all requests were Device Requests, while only 6 % were Account Requests. National Security Requests were a tiny fraction.

and let's not forget from your previous article

As the tech companies have pointed out in their statements, they comply with lawful requests for user data from the government. The companies involved publish statistics around these requests. These numbers show that the firms usually do what the government asks, and often produce user data that’s shared with law enforcement.

unlike others who leave backdoors open for whatever purposes and only clog them when it becomes a scandal 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/technology/nsa-doublepulsar-hacking-tool/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

how about you start reading what you post and not just cherry pick bits that suit you hey?

and let's not forget from your previous article

unlike others who leave backdoors open for whatever purposes and only clog them when it becomes a scandal 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/technology/nsa-doublepulsar-hacking-tool/

"According to apple"

I'm not arguing in favor of any company bud, I'm just letting you know that apple does not understand privacy, In fact quite the contrary.

No company should ever give users data on request. Period.

the fact that apple admits to complying with 78% of requests is pathetic.

I'm still happy with my Surface Pro 3, but I were looking for a laptop I'd buy this (provided the Linux support is good enough). 

I don't get why this superior 3:2 aspect ratio is not more popular for productivity devices. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

2 minutes ago, Johners said:

Does this mean Microsoft Office is becoming a Store and/or a UWP application for future versions?

it has been. and store apps can be win32 or UWP.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Wait they're running Windows School with that high res of a display, a PCIe SSD and up to an i7? Something tells me most schools are not going to buy these, they look more like they're for college kids. So why not just preload them with normal old Windows? 

Lolwhat

Also that mouse... *shivers violently* 

The thing is that no college kid will ever afford this as it's over $1k.

6 minutes ago, 1kv said:

The thing is that no college kid will ever afford this as it's over $1k.

are you talking about the same college kids that go buy macbooks?

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

are you talking about the same college kids that go buy macbooks?

Nope. I wasn't talking about the rich college kids that go to Oxford or whatever

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Nope. I wasn't talking about the rich college kids that go to Oxford or whatever

$1000 is not a lot for a laptop? I knew plenty of people that used laptops that cost more then $1000 in college. $800 - $1200 is a respectable price for a laptop.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

$1000 is not a lot for a laptop? I knew plenty of people that used laptops that cost more then $1000 in college. $800 - $1200 is a respectable price for a laptop.

It's probably because I've never had a laptop worth over $500.

Sorry about that lol. 

Just now, 1kv said:

It's probably because I've never had a laptop worth over $500.

Sorry about that lol. 

fair enough. I personally wouldn't spend more then $800 but I also dump money into my desktop and a laptop is just a light use device. I am looking at the GPD pocket for my next portable PC.

10 minutes ago, Tedny said:
students and 1k$ ok, maybe I missing something? 

Yes, you are. Plenty of students have laptops that cost over $1000. $1000 for 4gb of RAM is pretty shitty however. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Even Apple gives you 8 GB baseline at this point. 

Only 1 USB port is ridiculous. It was a mistake on the Surface and they engineer an entirely new product with the same flaw. Is it the Death Star engineers working on Surface products?

Just now, Trixanity said:

Only 1 USB port is ridiculous. It was a mistake on the Surface and they engineer an entirely new product with the same flaw. Is it the Death Star engineers working on Surface products?

I agree. 1 USB is just stupid. It'll be even more stupid if it's just 1 USB C though.

Thanks, Apple.

When a student reaches College, they have the opportunity to work during their studies or summer times, and so they can afford such a system. They usually keep it until the end of their studies. Students prefer a durable, long battery life, thin and light system., because they take it with them, all day, daily, and usually colleges/universities, being old building don't have wall plugs everywhere in all classes. So, spending this much.. even $1500 is justifiable, if the system meets their needs.

And if the the Store grows with popular apps like Chrome, Firefox, etc. Then a student can stick with Windows 10 S, and ensure that they won't get ransomware, viruses, and malware due to the locked down mode of the OS, as everything needs to be in from the Store, approved by Microsoft, and even then runs in a sandboxes environment. And, ideally, at least on paper, Microsoft can take fast action to pull an app that is a virus/malware/ransomware that managed to pass their inspection, limiting the damage.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

do you ever plug more then 1 device into a laptop at a time not including a mouse or keyboard?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Students prefer a durable,

then why the F would any student buy this and not a business class ultrabook which can be had for the same money and is better in every single way.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

then why the F would any student buy this and not a business class ultrabook which can be had for the same money and is better in every single way.

'cause you can't go a big box store and buy a business class laptop (not to mention that many of them uses shit TN panels at Windows 10 minimum screen resolution), and many of them have horrible trackpads (doesn't even use Microsoft Precision Touchpad drivers.. I am looking at you HP, even on your consumer products!), for some reason that buggies my mind for the price. Again.. not all, but not few either.

So here they have a system, like the MacBook Pro, go to the store, check it out, and if they like it, buy it.

@GoodBytes Your statement is true.

Also, I've been past the local college campuses, and I've even seen students with X1 Carbons, MBPs among many other expensive laptops.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

'cause you can't go a big box store and buy a business class laptop (not to mention that many of them uses shit TN panels at Windows 10 minimum screen resolution), and many of them have horrible trackpads (doesn't even use Microsoft Precision Touchpad drivers.. I am looking at you HP, even on your consumer products!), for some reason that buggies my mind for the price. Again.. not all, but not few either.

You are stuck in the past with screens m8, most are IPS now and quite a lot of models offer higher than 1080p. Actually, you can buy business laptops in big box stores, bestbuy basically has most of all the ThinkPad models, quite a lot of Elitebooks and latitudes.....

The trackpads are also far from horrible

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

This will piss off manufacturers.

Also the one USB port thing is a meme. It should have been at least 1 USB A and 1 USB C

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. Windows 10 S prevents exes from being able to be run.

Well that sucks

i like trains 🙂

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

the price is so very low starting at 999$.

That's an interesting definition of "very low".