Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes

It looks nice, but I would have liked a few more usb ports and a VGA connection, because there is a ton of older projectors and monitors that only have VGA. 

Heh, for once, the Razer Blade Stealth is beginning to sound more appealing. Desktop applications, 8GB RAM base, USB Type-C, more than one port, lower MSRP... Damn Microsoft, you're selling me other systems. Is that the intention of this product?? Not that I'm advocating for the system, just comparing.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

It looks nice, but I would have liked a few more usb ports and a VGA connection, because there is a ton of older projectors and monitors that only have VGA. 

You did see how thin this system is, right? VGA, or any additional ports would kill the thin and light a e s t h e t i c.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

To answer your question: many use an external mouse so it really isn't fair to exclude it just to try and get a point across

The hope is that they use bluetooth mice that are 'baggable', something like the MS Arc mouse, or the Logitech Ultrathin T630. The Arc folds flat, and the Ultrathin is just flat, and owning both, I'd take either over my older Logitech M325, especially from the prospect of the USB dongle, as it's just a hassle for traveling or school.

Many also use thumb drives.

Unless people are frequently backing things up, or keep all their documents on a flash drive, they're not using them that often anymore. Hell, one could use a wireless flash drive if need be.

If you want Ethernet you also need an adapter, so that's USB port number 3

Surface Dock works with the Surface laptop. Adds additional USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, and DisplayPort, as well as charging the device. If one is going to be going that power user with this laptop (which realistically, no one buying this laptop plans on being a power user with it), they're getting a solution like that, not a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, MilitantCro said:

Its alcantara, cant get stained just liked that.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. We're talking students here. Students do dumb shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Damn I'd get the SP4 or the Book if I was looking at any options for those prices. You'll get a much nice screen and accessory integration.

It's worth noting that the configurations they are selling are the same price as the Pro 4 but the Pro 4 has a Surface Pen included when this doesn't.......

But the Pro 4 is effectively more expensive because $129 keyboard.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Vg0JstydL8HCg.gif

omg, it's actually WORSE an apple laptop

Nope. the cheapest GOOD Apple laptop now starts at $1299 USD......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Starting at $999, I wouldn't touch this unless it came with the non s version of windows 10. This is going to go down the route of windows rt

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Except macOS can actually run on lower specs.  MS telemetryware needs 1.5Ghz and 3.5GB ram of system resources alone, you get whats left over.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The cheapest Surface laptop with 8gb of ram (and a 256gb ssd) is $1300.

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Starting at $999, I wouldn't touch this unless it came with the non s version of windows 10. This is going to go down the route of windows rt

There's a free upgrade to Pro. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I'm pretty sure this will have all the same issues as the Pro 4 did and does.

Real world battery life is not going to be close to what was advertised. There will be issues with resuming/sleeping and also overheating.

Just now, MoonSpot said:

Except macOS can actually run on lower specs.  MS telemetryware needs 1.5Ghz and 3.5GB of ram alone.

oh? My mom's MBP is a very low specced model compared to models sold today and it is slow af. It' barely usable.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The cheapest Surface laptop with 8gb of ram (and a 256gb ssd) is $1300.

Yes, I'm aware that is the same price as the MacBook with 8GB RAM and a 2565GB SSD.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Except macOS can actually run on lower specs.  MS telemetryware needs 1.5Ghz and 3.5GB ram of system resources alone

W10 runs fine on my i3-4020y/4gb SP3.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

oh? My mom's MBP is a very low specced model compared to models sold today and it is slow af. It' barely usable.

What does she have/does it have an SSD? because with an SSD my 2007 MBP with a C2D/4gb of ram performs pretty decently. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Guess we'll have to wait for the Linus review to see how it stands up.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

W10 runs fine on my i3/4gb SP3.

^^

What does she have/does it have an SSD? because with an SSD my 2007 MBP with a C2D/4gb of ram performs pretty decently. 

HDD, 4GB RAM

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Guess we'll have to wait for the Linus review. 

For this kind of product I'd actually wait for multiple reviews and not just one.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

HDD

I found your problem. 

Also, OS X does like memory more so than Windows. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Come on MS. Considering we had tablets with detachable keyboards+docks+secondary batteries back in 2011/2012 for around $500AUD (for 32GB models that is). Make a Surface version of the trend setting Asus Transformer Prime (which is actually better than the model that replaced it despite the flawed wireless connectivity).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For this kind of product I'd actually wait for multiple reviews and not just one.

Of course, I was just generalizing. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On a side note, at that price who thinks that it will become another Surface RT?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Garbage vs shit.  What do you want me to say?  I did forget the /s for the spewed out resources, but regardless its under spec'd for the price.  This screams pretension, and that's all as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

a e s t h e t i c.

I believe the word is aesthetic

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So $1000 for a dual-core i5 with 4GB or RAM? Is this for Apple enthusiasts?

My Lenovo with Kaby i7 7500U and 12GB DDR4 was less than $500 BTW.

36 minutes ago, dexT said:

My Lenovo with Kaby i7 7500U and 12GB DDR4 was less than $500 BTW.

And what laptop that would be?

2 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

DisplayPort can be converted down to VGA.

Wow that's a gorgeous laptop, I might look into picking one up.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

11 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Grad school laptop for me? Jk... looks cool. I wonder what the prices will be. To me this looks like MS' attempt to reach in to the college audience. 

They're trying to compete with Apple because a large amount of college students use Macbooks.  If they didn't have Windows S I'd be down to buy one just to have.