Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes
Just now, GoodBytes said:

With the keyboard or not?

Actually, come to think about it, the Surface laptop doesn't include the pen. Surface Pro series does include one (beside he new base model)

Also, the Surface Laptop i7 contains Iris 640 Graphics and the i5 has HD 620 Graphics FYI

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This Surface Laptops seems more and more to be the successor of the Surface Pro line even if the Pro 4 is a pretty damn good device. I was expecting some kind of Pro 5 with Kaby lake but i suspect that would cannibalize the Surface Laptop sales.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have a question. Why would you buy this when you can get a business class ultrabook for same or less money (depending on specs)?

A business class ultrabook would be more durable, be better cooler, have more ports(for the most part), most likely a better keyboard, weigh about the same, have the same kind of form factor and come with that sweet sweet business support which is worlds better than any normal support.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The S is not for school, it's for Slave.

Only store apps? Pls. If you intend to buy this do yourself a favour and install a linux distro

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Post High-School. But yea, you can buy it, upgrade to 10 Pro for free (until Dec 31st), and you have a nice premium laptop.

That seems like a better option for the schools themselves but for the college student not quite. For a student I would think options like; fingerprint sensors, hardware drive encryption, drop protection and higher build quality would be a better option, for the money that is.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I have a question. Why would you buy this when you can get a business class ultrabook for same or less money (depending on specs)?

A business class ultrabook would be more durable, be better cooler, have more ports(for the most part), most likely a better keyboard, weigh about the same, have the same kind of form factor and come with that sweet sweet business support which is worlds better than any normal support.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Personally I used a 15" HP Elitebook when I was in school, options are a whole different level. Tracking module and WWAN support etc.

Edit: Forgot about dedicated graphics as well.

32 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

rMacBook Pro 13"

Yes, it is a 4 year old laptop featuring:
>No Windows

>No Microsoft

>Twice the USB-ports

>2x Thunderbolt 2.0

>HDMI

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It doesn’t have USB Type-C, but the price is low. 

And it is available starting: June 15, starting at $999 US

lol wut? I guess a low price is always different from person to person, but think the general consensus is that is fairly expensive for a laptop without a dGPU. However there are many laptops with similar specs around that price point, but I still think it wouldn't have killed them to put a type C port on it.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The S is not for school, it's for Slave.

Only store apps? Pls. If you intend to buy this do yourself a favour and install a linux distro

Or upgrade to 10 Pro for free. Or buy a laptop that comes with Linux based OS like the Dell XPS dev

The high school that I am going to just got surface pro 3's. I wonder if Microsoft will allow for some sort of install of Windows 10 Student onto the laptops.

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Implosivetech said:

The high school that I am going to just got surface pro 3's. I wonder if Microsoft will allow for some sort of install of Windows 10 Student onto the laptops.

Yes. They can switch for free.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I'm not entirely sure why someone would though.

Until Adobe puts their full suite into the Store and AutoDesk follows suite then a lot of students will be using Windows 10 Pro.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Yee

faster startup times

and maybe even improved battery life. I like how they want to avoid installs from the web, ven though somebody could just stall it on another computer, and then bring over the files. Eh. It's possible.

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Implosivetech said:

Yee

faster startup times

and maybe even improved battery life. I like how they want to avoid installs from the web, ven though somebody could just stall it on another computer, and then bring over the files. Eh. It's possible.

Nope. Windows 10 S prevents exes from being able to be run.

I'll stick with my combo of $100 Intel Atom 2-in-one with full Windows + my home desktop than to shell out for just the Apple competitor. To a thief, my tablet/network looks like a toy compared to the Apple or Surface laptop next to it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Add thunderbolt 3 and it will be perfect. Even a type C port would have been awesome. It enables a whole lot more functionality that is useful for students of all kind. 

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

6 minutes ago, NinerL said:

$1,000 and only 4GB of ram? LOL? 

that's so bad it's not even laughable, as retail it's £30 for a 4GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM, so soldered RAM sold at volume has to be around £10, which is ridiculous, as M$ could start at 16GB and it would barely make a dent in the profit margin.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

27 minutes ago, Claryn said:

Yes, it is a 4 year old laptop featuring:
>No Windows

>No Microsoft

>Twice the USB-ports

>2x Thunderbolt 2.0

>HDMI

>windows is a plus

>Microsoft is a much better company than apple for the consumer

>that is typically the case with old laptops

>id rather not have thunderbolt 2, thunderbolt 3 is a different story

>apple

>apple

>osx

>apple

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

...the price is so very low starting at 999$...

Vg0JstydL8HCg.gif

omg, it's actually WORSE an apple laptop.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

rip.

My Pro 4 was almost $1799 for i7 + 16GB RAM and I thought that was a damn ripoff.

You thought that cause it was.  Sorry *shrugs*

I don't understand the fabric keyboard

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

>windows is a plus

>Microsoft is a much better company than apple for the consumer

>that is typically the case with old laptops

>id rather not have thunderbolt 2, thunderbolt 3 is a different story

>apple

>apple

>osx

>apple

>since when

>in what dream world

>do miss the good ol' days

>thunderbolt 2 still beter than no thunderbolt at all

>at least apple understands privacy

>osx evolution isn't as fucked up as windows evolution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

>since when

>in what dream world

>do miss the good ol' days

>thunderbolt 2 still beter than no thunderbolt at all

>at least apple understands privacy

>osx evolution isn't as fucked up as windows evolution

https://qz.com/620423/heres-how-often-apple-google-and-others-handed-over-data-when-the-us-government-asked-for-it/

yea Apple has got your back don't worry