Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes
8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

LPDDR3 consumes less power than DDR4.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

LPDDR3 is still fine, there isn't much of an advantage to DDR4 other than the ability for higher capacities >16gb, but LPDDR3 does mean better battery life. 

1 hour ago, NinerL said:

It's 2017 there's no reason to not have USB C or DDR4. Even a $350 Acer laptop is sporting 4GB's of DDR4 :D.

It's just another example of how manufactures make compromises (no matter insignificant they may seem) to reach a design brief.   My experience of acer is good and bad, In Aus. they have reasonable after sales service, and you can get some good features for the price, but the reality is they are plastic, break easy and even thought hey have ddr4 with more ram, hdd, ports, etc, they are still slow and only last a few hours at best because the unit as a whole is thrown together to meet a price point not meticulously designed to meet a quality standard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's just another example of how manufactures make compromises (no matter insignificant they may seem) to reach a design brief.   My experience of acer is good and bad, In Aus. they have reasonable after sales service, and you can get some good features for the price, but the reality is they are plastic, break easy and even thought hey have ddr4 with more ram, hdd, ports, etc, they are still slow and only last a few hours at best because the unit as a whole is thrown together to meet a price point not meticulously designed to meet a quality standard.

It's also a common problem where people think that higher numbers, means better. That is why more than half the specs of a computer is never mentioned in the store shelf, like HDD speed, RAM speed and latency, etc.

Tesla is apparently having problems with their Model 3, where they need to say how crap the car is, as it isn't "Model 3 is better than Model 2"

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/3/15535620/tesla-solar-city-first-quarter

• 2 weeks later...

$1000 Tablet-Laptop thing makes you pay $50 if you want to actually run exes from the internet.

isn't microsoft just great?

On 2017-5-3 at 0:50 AM, Misanthrope said:

Students? Let me guess these students are mostly well off white kids at a starbucks discussing their next black bloc protest

Students vary very much, just like non-students. One students buys a more expensive laptop and the other a more budget friendly one. One can afford it, the other can't. This is not about race, it's about the opportunity and willingness to buy one.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, Misanthrope said:

Students? Let me guess these students are mostly well off white kids at a starbucks discussing their next black bloc protest

How can someone even make a comment like this? Do you not see how silly a comment this is to make? 

Well off white kids? Says who? Last time I walked through my med building, it wasn't just 'well of white kids' shitposting off their MacBooks drinking expensive lattes. 

People who want and can afford nicer, better built things will actually go and get those things. Some of the best gear I've bought, it hasn't been cheap. It lasts long, I don't often worry about it; its worth the upfront cost in that I never have to deal with it long term because it is problematic. For students, this is key. Most students don't have patience for issues. Its really not what I need to think about when I have essays and exams and labs to work on. Its not exclusive to Macs either; anything at a certain point from any brand will be quality and worth the premium. I myself, if a friend or family member doesn't want a Mac, will steer them towards Thinkpads; paying for quality goods doesn't make you 'well off white' or 'discussing black bloc protest' worthy

That is a very, very concerning mentality to have regarding those who opt to spend their money how they see fit. 

Now, to the Surface Laptop itself; I think at 1000 dollars its targeted towards the college market wonderfully. I think they made a big mistake in not giving it any USB-C ports, much less ignoring Thunderbolt. I don't understand those exclusions; I don't see the appeal of a mDP when USB-C exists. I think the alcantara covering is beyond stupid, that is a high upkeep material that WILL look bad especially if its going to a bloody college student. Once again, I don't want to have to think about applying the latest nano sealent to my bloody laptop. 

I also think not including the pen was a mistake. Its 50 bucks, include it. If you want to market to students, include it. We like writing things. I think the Windows 10 S idea is silly, but I'm not the target market for that kind of software anyways. 10 S makes sense on the 200-300 dollar laptops thatll go to elementary schools and the like, deployment will be easier and I can see why it exists. I don't think it makes sense for a 1000 dollar laptop however. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA