What tech are y'all buying/upgrading this year?

dizmo
3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Really? I went to a smaller screen and am not a fan, definitely miss the screen size of my Note.

Are you just hating the larger phone size? The 6P is far from small.

something like a 5.5" screen is the right screen size for me. tho i haven't tried the samsung s8 yet, but i don't want to spend that much on a phone

33 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Well we're well into a new year, and I was wondering what tech purchases you guys have in mind for the months ahead?

Lots of new goodies coming out, maybe something someone else is buying will inspire me to buy something else as well :P

This year will be a busy year for me upgrade wise.

Phone

Hate my Nexus 5x, but it's a place holder since the Note7 was obviously a no go. Nothing's caught my eye yet, holding out hope for the Note8, Axon 8, OP4, V30, Nokia flagship?

Laptop

Series 9 is starting to show its age, so it'll likely be replaced with a Dell XPS 13. Possibly an Asus, as it generally is just a couch potato.

PC

Waiting for Ryzen to mature and actually get some good ITX boards, then I'll build a very SFF build with Ryzen 5. Really hoping Vega has some ITX cards.

Monitor

Depends on Vega, but either a 29" 21:9 or a nice 24" IPS. Possibly a 38" 21:9, but we'll see how Vega performs.

Other

Bluetooth headphones, something higher end.

2TB external drive for the Xbox.

Laptop? A cheap chromebook with a good display

Zen+ next year

proper storage. 

Thats probably what I'll try to get this year. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

*Wrings hands slowly*

Thinks in his mind, "I have been waiting a long time for this thread..."

Stuff I've already bought:

• Logitech G710+ Brown
  • 4 Silent Wing 3s

Stuff I'm gonna buy (it's a long list bois [lol bois was autocorrected to bios]):

• A Vega GPU, probably (got a freesync monitor so AMD's my main option)
  • Possibly a new case. Possibly. Not sure yet
  • A new CPU cooler, to accompany the new GPU
  • A new phone, probably a Pixel 2. My OP2 gets way to hot and battery life isn't the best (frickin SD 810)
  • A new laptop. Probably a surface book of some sort. I'll wait for the surface book 2, and depending on whether or not it's worth it, I'll get it or the original surface book

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The Note8 was no more expensive than a higher spec Pixel...

A 980Ti isn't a great card, I'm pretty sure the 1070 beats it.

Yeah but I may as well just get the s8, I don't want a stylus. 

Yeah the 1070 is pretty even with the 980Ti, but also costs $200-300 more so... yeah.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

58 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Oh yeah the clears came out not long ago, I think they're the same but actuate higher up. The blacks are linear though right?

Yeah they are,

The Cherry MX Black switch is a medium stiff, linear, non-clicky mechanical keyboard switch in the Cherry MX family.

50 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Have you used them before? It's always best to test them out before you buy, I thought I'd like browns but I hated them. Same with blues.

Yeah, I went to a micro center once, and went to a kids house where he had 2 mechanical keyboards and they were just really fun to type with. I love membrane keyboards but still I like the feel of mechanical keyboards. I understand the concern and I thank you for the concern :D I will definitely try them again before purchasing. I have to go back to Micro Center so I can get more Bawls.

Going from iPhone 7 Plus to whatever the next one is, getting a 3x monitor arm, and another Dell P2415Q, 2x 8 TB WD Reds for my server, and maybe a new apple watch.

gonna get a nVidia GeForce Titan X

mother nature dictates that if you develop a custom kernel for the snes, it gets worked up, steam comes out the cartridge port, then it kills itself

Just now, techman980 said:

gonna get a nVidia GeoForce Titan X

nVidia GeoForce Titan X

nVidia GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

Just now, fpo said:

nVidia GeoForce Titan X

nVidia GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

GeoForce

haha typo much gotta edit that thx 4 pointing it out

mother nature dictates that if you develop a custom kernel for the snes, it gets worked up, steam comes out the cartridge port, then it kills itself

Stuff that I almost certainly will get this year:

• I'm generally not going to upgrade my PC this year, if anything I'll add some lighting and that's really all. Atm it doesn't really need anything else.
  • As for phones, my 2-year contract with my LG G4 ends in a few months so I'm going to get either the S8 or Pixel 2 (if it is good) later in the year before my g4 bootloops again (currently on my second g4, this one has been lasting a lot longer than most others, but it's gradually starting to show some signs that it is coming)
  • Also going to pick up a pair of HD 598SE's later in the year to replace my bose that ive had forever

As for stuff that I'd really like to try getting this year but isnt exacly my highest priority:

• I might get either a soundbar or receiver/subwoofer (I have 3 home theater speakers laying around, l, r, and center tho i probably wont use the center) for my TV and probably wall mounting it/them
  • I've also had on mind of getting either a 1440p, ultrawide, or 144hz monitor for a while, havn't decided what type yet tho and honestly probably wont happen until next year.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

Maybe GPU upgrade to 1080 or the 1080ti, my 1060 still holds up quite well at 1440p so I am in no rush. I wait and hope that Vega will push prices down, or I may as well wait for Volta even. It all depends.

1 hour ago, techman980 said:

gonna get a nVidia GeoForce Titan X

Groundbreaking performance!

Upgrade my *new* (to me for free) 6870 this summer to whatever the ~$250 p/p card is.

Probably going to buy the Utopia expansion of Stellaris soon after it drops.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just got my Nintendo Switch! Too bad Zelda is the only game worth playing... for me at least. I want Smash and Mario Kart!

An HD remake of Galaxy 1 & 2 would be cool, I'd buy that!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Well we're well into a new year, and I was wondering what tech purchases you guys have in mind for the months ahead?

Lots of new goodies coming out, maybe something someone else is buying will inspire me to buy something else as well :P

This year will be a busy year for me upgrade wise.

Phone

Hate my Nexus 5x, but it's a place holder since the Note7 was obviously a no go. Nothing's caught my eye yet, holding out hope for the Note8, Axon 8, OP4, V30, Nokia flagship?

Laptop

Series 9 is starting to show its age, so it'll likely be replaced with a Dell XPS 13. Possibly an Asus, as it generally is just a couch potato.

PC

Waiting for Ryzen to mature and actually get some good ITX boards, then I'll build a very SFF build with Ryzen 5. Really hoping Vega has some ITX cards.

Monitor

Depends on Vega, but either a 29" 21:9 or a nice 24" IPS. Possibly a 38" 21:9, but we'll see how Vega performs.

Other

Bluetooth headphones, something higher end.

2TB external drive for the Xbox.

A new AIO cooler for my roaring RX 480, most likely used

An extra 8gb of RAM 

Just bought a GTX 1070 this January. No regrets. Sweet FPS numbers, but feels overkill for 900p.

So hopefully by the end of the year I can buy 1440p monitor.

Also planning soon to buy a new case. Something less wider so I can finally put my rig on top of my desk now.

I might end up replacing my Galaxy S7 G930F (International Unlocked) with a Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked), that way I get updates faster and can also use Samsung Pay with it. (I didn't know that Samsung was selling US unlocked S7s back when I bought mine. Maybe they weren't even selling them back then...)

Then if I get enough spare money, I'll likely end up rebuilding my PC almost entirely, the only things that will for sure be moved over are my storage devices. (Planning on building it in a Fractal Design Node 202, and since my GPU, Mobo, and PSU won't really fit in there [The GPU might, but it'll be really tight], I'm just gonna start fresh with the internals. I'm planning on an i7 6700K (Because fuck Kaby Lake), Cryorig C7, Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI, 1x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (Planning to add a second DIMM later on), EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 ICX, and Silverstone SX600-G).

And then I want to build a new desk since the current one that I have is really a kitchen countertop, and it's pretty ugly and bulky (Around 1.5" thick on the outside, 1" thick on the inside.), and I need some additional room to fit my speakers and all the rest of the crap that I pile up on my desk.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Yeah but I may as well just get the s8, I don't want a stylus. 

Yeah the 1070 is pretty even with the 980Ti, but also costs $200-300 more so... yeah.

I was more referring to your cost statement. It's not priced that high.

Really? Even here the 1070 is under $600. I see you Kiwis get ripped off even more than we do!

3 hours ago, aspoelst said:

Going from iPhone 7 Plus to whatever the next one is, getting a 3x monitor arm, and another Dell P2415Q, 2x 8 TB WD Reds for my server, and maybe a new apple watch.

How do you find 4k on a screen that small?

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Yeah they are,

Yeah, I went to a micro center once, and went to a kids house where he had 2 mechanical keyboards and they were just really fun to type with. I love membrane keyboards but still I like the feel of mechanical keyboards. I understand the concern and I thank you for the concern :D I will definitely try them again before purchasing. I have to go back to Micro Center so I can get more Bawls.

I like mechanical keys too, but I'm solidly in the Red and perhaps the Silver camp. I think Silver will likely be exactly what I want. Shame hardly anyone uses them. Bawls was so good, haven't had that in ages. Buy some Combos snacks for me. So good.

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Just got my Nintendo Switch! Too bad Zelda is the only game worth playing... for me at least. I want Smash and Mario Kart!

An HD remake of Galaxy 1 & 2 would be cool, I'd buy that!

I wish Nintendo would release its games on other platforms. Those are literally the only three I'd play, and there's no way I'm going to buy a console just for those.

Haha, 4" phones? Terrible. I could never go back to a size like that.

20 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I might end up replacing my Galaxy S7 G930F (International Unlocked) with a Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked), that way I get updates faster and can also use Samsung Pay with it. (I didn't know that Samsung was selling US unlocked S7s back when I bought mine. Maybe they weren't even selling them back then...)

-snip-

I'd read that the international versions had a slow update rate (which Samsung has acknowledged and said it will address), but how bad do you find it? I guess you haven't gotten 7.0 yet? I was thinking about buying an S7 as they're quite cheap right now and I really want to get rid of my Nexus.

Why the Kaby hate? Because it's not a million times better? :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd read that the international versions had a slow update rate (which Samsung has acknowledged and said it will address), but how bad do you find it? I guess you haven't gotten 7.0 yet? I was thinking about buying an S7 as they're quite cheap right now and I really want to get rid of my Nexus.

Why the Kaby hate? Because it's not a million times better? :P

Still no 7.0, even though pretty much all of the US S7s and S7 Edges have received the update by now.

I strongly dislike Kaby Lake because there's not really much benefit over Skylake, and from what I've heard it's much harder to get working with Windows 8.1 than Skylake is. (I'm not going to be even considering using Windows 10 on my desktop until Microsoft cuts the bullshit and stops spying on everyone, forcing updates, installing applications without permission, etc... (I've had Candy Crush Saga and one other app installed on my Laptop [Which unfortunately has Windows 10 since I can't get the right drivers for it on 8.1] probably 2-3 times now.)

Pretty much my only option for preventing the three of those is get Windows 10 Enterprise, and even then, who knows what Microsoft will still be doing in the background...

(Just as a side note for anyone wanting to say that "Windows 8.1 still spys on you", I've disabled all the settings for sending anything back to Microsoft, I use a local account, and I've closely monitored Windows Updates to make sure that none that are adding any bullshit get installed.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wish Nintendo would release its games on other platforms. Those are literally the only three I'd play, and there's no way I'm going to buy a console just for those.

Haha, 4" phones? Terrible. I could never go back to a size like that.

That would be awesome, but it would be very, not, Nintendo. At least the Wii U and older systems can be emulated on a PC. :D I love Mario, and I'll always buy their system if it means I can have more of my favorite, possibly psychopathic plumber!

My bad, I meant Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, not the Samsung Galaxy! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Upgrading my university laptop (5 year old) with:

- SSD 250 or 500 GB

- maybe 4 GB additional RAM

- already bought a used processor an i7 2670qm and a new keyboard

--> all in all 200 € for a pretty decent upgrade. I compared it with new 600 € laptops and it didn't seem worth buying a new one

gaming PC:

- maybe 8 additional GB RAM cause I only have 8 so far.

- i have a gtx 1070 and an i7 4790k so no further upgrades necessary

37 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Really? Even here the 1070 is under $600. I see you Kiwis get ripped off even more than we do!

Yeah.. For example, on a MacBook ('cause Apple sets the prices) we pay whatever the exchange from USD to NZD is, plus like $300 just 'cause.

The 1070 is about $700NZD, which is about $500USD. A used 980Ti is like under $500NZD ($350USD). Which isn't a whole lot more than my 470 was new. Brand new the 980Ti was like $1200 or something.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Probably switch the soft tube setup for hardline tubing in my main rig at some point. Also i'll be watercooling my modded mac G5 this year i think :P

I don't think i need any upgrades in terms of hardware yet though. Maybe X299 when it comes?

I need to get a new pc.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)