ASUS charges over $3700 for 4090 fix?

Dedayog

Sounds a little out there, but apparently ASUS is just that fucktarded and greedy?

https://wccftech.com/asus-under-huge-rma-fire-charges-3758-to-repair-just-plastic-on-2800-rtx-4090/

Original Reddit post...

Skip to main contentASUS wants $3758 to repair a small plastic indent on their $2799 ASUS RTX 4090 WHITE OC [UPDATE] : r/pcmasterrace

•  
  •  
  •  

ASUS wants $3758 to repair a small plastic indent on their $2799 ASUS RTX 4090 WHITE OC [UPDATE]

nvidia sub took down the post, here is a follow up. Prices are in CAD.

Purchased brand new ASUS RTX4090 2 weeks ago. Card works perfectly (confirmed by local store) but the safety plastic indent got scratched off. Skeptical of melting stories on 4090 so sent it to ASUS RMA to have it repaired advised by my local store (Canada Computers) and ASUS support. They quote $3758 to have it repaired. Asked for supervisor/manager to make sure the quotation is correct just to repair a small plastic indent. The supervisor confirmed and said will give me 30% off to have it repaired. I told them that's unacceptable and to escalate this case.

[UPDATE]

On the same day they send an email with the case escalated. They state the GPU is now not "functionable" because of the damage and is not covered under warranty. The GPU needs to be replaced now and wants me to pay over the retail price?!?! Below is exactly what they said, emails, and photo of the GPU taken from their repair centre.

"Thank you for reaching out to ASUS Invoice Quotation Support. My name is Amelia M . Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you, I have received feedback from the escalation. We do understand your concern However, please note that the damage ultimately effects the functionality of the unit and is not covered under our standard warranty. The GPU is being replaced we can have have a 30% discount offered off the invoice to have the card replaced."

Note: I was very cautious when installing and removing the power cable, pressed the release clip when removing the cable. My reason for this whole case was not hearing an audible "click" when installing the power cable unto the GPU. Does it make sense for a customer to pay $3700+ for $2799 retailed GPU for a plastic scratch and maybe defective? Furthermore, purchased 2 weeks ago and unused.

[UPDATE 2] I'm going to try contacting ASUS CEO office as advised. I've contacted my CC/bank today. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will continue to update this case.

[UPDATE 3] CEO office called the next morning and I was assigned a new customer supervisor to deal with this case. Asked for new GPU or refund. They did not have any GPU in stock and offered to buy back the GPU for the full price including tax. Currently waiting for the cheque, timeframe they said 1-2 weeks. Tbh, the new supervisor is night and day difference being very attentive.

r/pcmasterrace - ASUS wants $3758 to repair a small plastic indent on their $2799 ASUS RTX 4090 WHITE OC [UPDATE]
r/pcmasterrace - ASUS wants $3758 to repair a small plastic indent on their $2799 ASUS RTX 4090 WHITE OC [UPDATE]
r/pcmasterrace - The plastic indent photo provided from RMA ASUS quotation
The plastic indent photo provided from RMA ASUS quotation
r/pcmasterrace - Canada Computers refused to take the GPU after confirming GPU works but not for the plastic indent
Canada Computers refused to take the GPU after confirming GPU works but not for the plastic indent

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

To me that does not look like a scratch. To me that looks like the clip was ripped off through improper removal of the cable. Looks to me like Asus was being nice, seeing as all the card needed was a new plug. 

He said his reason was because he did not hear the click.. but when spending that kind of coin, if it were me, I would look at every millimeter of that card before plugging it in. I know I did on a GPU that cost less. I dunnoo..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

5 hours ago, freeagent said:

To me that does not look like a scratch. To me that looks like the clip was ripped off through improper removal of the cable. Looks to me like Asus was being nice, seeing as all the card needed was a new plug. 

He said his reason was because he did not hear the click.. but when spending that kind of coin, if it were me, I would look at every millimeter of that card before plugging it in. I know I did on a GPU that cost less. I dunnoo..

3700 charge to fix a 3000 card seems nice?

Not sure why they can't just replace the connector. Even if the user is ultimately at fault, just replace the damn connector.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not sure why they can't just replace the connector. Even if the user is ultimately at fault, just replace the damn connector.

EVGA would have.. just sayin..

5 minutes ago, freeagent said:

EVGA would have.. just sayin..

It's total bullshit. All of it. The absurdity of this situation is just fuckin' absurd. Personally, I think situations like this with ASUS ultimately shows that they think their users are total idiots, or are trying to push bullshit in an attempt to get some uneducated or gullible user to pay the extremely high cost.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

25 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's total bullshit. All of it. The absurdity of this situation is just fuckin' absurd. Personally, I think situations like this with ASUS ultimately shows that they think their users are total idiots, or are trying to push bullshit in an attempt to get some uneducated or gullible user to pay the extremely high cost.

I didn't say they would have done it for free.. Look, I like Asus, but I cant stick up for them with this stuff going on. And its not a new thing either. I just thank my stars I never use their RMA service. But I will still buy their motherboards until they burn me. They do this with actual companies, not just people like you and me.

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I didn't say they would have done it for free.. Look, I like Asus, but I cant stick up for them with this stuff going on. And its not a new thing either. I just thank my stars I never use their RMA service. But I will still buy their motherboards until they burn me. They do this with actual companies, not just people like you and me.

I didn't say EVGA would've done it for free either. It's absurd that ASUS would jump to replacing the entire card, versus just replacing the connector. 

Also my comments weren't directed at anyone but ASUS. Any company that immediately jumps to a replacement of the part(at the user's cost as well, and a simple connector replacement at that), versus attempting a repair instead as a first option, or at least doing an actual evaluation to determine the proper action isn't worth purchasing from. In fact, the situation is likely going to be perpetuated unless people stop buying from these corporations - unlikely to happen, but that's ultimately what drives them. It's part of the reason I don't buy Apple products brand new. I buy them used from third party companies, or individuals. 

Why change, if it doesn't impact sales, and thus profits? That's totally their logic.

20 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I didn't say EVGA would've done it for free either. It's absurd that ASUS would jump to replacing the entire card, versus just replacing the connector. 

Want to be even more angry? Here's the resale price on a connector.

16Pin (12+4) PCI-E HPWR Power Connector Replacement Socket Header – GPUCONNECT.COM

That's if you wanted the part by the 18th. If you can wait a little bit longer.. If you source them from China they're closer to $4..

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

27 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Want to be even more angry? Here's the resale price on a connector.

16Pin (12+4) PCI-E HPWR Power Connector Replacement Socket Header – GPUCONNECT.COM

That's if you wanted the part by the 18th. If you can wait a little bit longer.. If you source them from China they're closer to $4..

Yeah, that's pretty infuriating. At most, the cost of repair might be like $50 - that's my ballpark answer. Certainly no reason to charge a customer over $2700USD for a new card. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yeah, that's pretty infuriating. At most, the cost of repair might be like $50 - that's my ballpark answer. Certainly no reason to charge a customer over $2700USD for a new card. 

It's par for the course for them anymore. 

I got an Ally right before all the bad CS with Asus started really popping off. That was my last purchase for a while from them. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Also my comments weren't directed at anyone but ASUS

Now you tell me haha

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

I feel like that is not a great way to go about things. Its not if you will need an RMA, its when. I have Asus parts, I have recently purchased asus parts. But in the near future I will not and hope and pray my am5 board remains solid until the situation is rectified and not recommend anyone I know go asus for laptop purchases. The products are solid, but if you can not get RMA support under warrenty, then I would sooner buy parts that are less reliable because I know they will be fixable. 

I would rather not have to file FTC complaints. 

And yes, UNDER the warranty time period, EVGA would fix this for free. But EVGA doesnt exist anymore. and its not like the owner selling it off instead of killing it would have necessarily been better because EVGA new owners would have had good will capital to pull this off just as well. 

4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

...ASUS ultimately shows that they think their users are total idiots...

Tbf they mostly are. For blindly venerating the brand. I am not just talking about ASUS customers or supporters.

Before we even get to the RMA/repair stage, there is the matter of fact that every brand has its good products and lemons. For example if you look into the comparative VRM design of budget ASUS motherboards, you would see the turd from a mile away.

However it is not realistic to expect the average person to look through the scope to sift out the good and bad from every pile. They usually just get brainwashed by marketing or blindly follow word of mouth. 

And it is just a shame that the vast majority will always be sheep who will only dedicate enough brain cells to develop a singular impression of the brands they face.

Need I remind everyone that Boeing is very well regarded for their 737 Air Max

12 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

Tbf they mostly are. For blindly venerating the brand. I am not just talking about ASUS customers or supporters.

Before we even get to the RMA/repair stage, there is the matter of fact that every brand has its good products and lemons. For example if you look into the comparative VRM design of budget ASUS motherboards, you would see the turd from a mile away.

However it is not realistic to expect the average person to look through the scope to sift out the good and bad from every pile. They usually just get brainwashed by marketing or blindly follow word of mouth. 

And it is just a shame that the vast majority will always be sheep who will only dedicate enough brain cells to develop a singular impression of the brands they face.

Need I remind everyone that Boeing is very well regarded for their 737 Air Max

This is NOT a bad product though. and a bad product is not even the question at hand. 

Support is what is being discussed. 

Support is why you buy a brand, because when you do run into that bad product (or a malfunctioning good product, like here), you know it will have support. 

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

Support is what is being discussed. 

Support is why you buy a brand, because when you do run into that bad product (or a malfunctioning good product, like here), you know it will have support. 

Alright lets talk support...

No doubt Asus doing its best to be the worst of the lot. But then among all them Taiwanese and Chinese handheld and board partner brands, do you know of any that are universally recognised for good support?

Bleak isn't it?

It still all hinges on the time you pick between options. No point picking based on best support or least-worst support because it still amounts to generalising the quality of all products under the same brand.

Its like having to buy a monitor stand and then choosing the one Apple is selling for $1000 on the impression of good support

12 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Alright lets talk support...

No doubt Asus doing its best to be the worst of the lot. But then among all them Taiwanese and Chinese handheld and board partner brands, do you know of any that are universally recognised for good support?

Bleak isn't it?

It still all hinges on the time you pick between options. No point picking based on best support or least-worst support because it still amounts to generalising the quality of all products under the same brand.

Its like having to buy a monitor stand and then choosing the one Apple is selling for $1000 on the impression of good support

So if you are not the best you are equally bad?

I am not saying any Taiwanese brand is a 10/10 in terms of support, but many/most are literally better then ASUS is at the moment. Be that Asrock, Acer, Gigabyte, PowerColor. 

Im not saying you need to be recognized as the best to be a valid choice, but you have everything in the middle. You have the ability to avoid the one that is the literal worst at the current moment until they fix things internally.  And companies like SeaSonic, ARE known known for their good products and support. 

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Avoiding the worst is a reasonable response. But down the road how does one establish that X brand is no longer the worst?

As with my previous post, none of them Taiwanese or Chinese brands for handhelds or boards have "good support" as a selling point.

To pick the truly good coin, you have to scrinize both sides of the coin. On one side you can assess best or least-worst support. But on the other side it involves telling apart the good stuff from the lemons even when looking within a single brand. Are people willing to do their homework to assess both sides?

This is why I have very little faith in the population's ability to avoid getting f'd by corporations no matter how many scandals are brought to light

12 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Avoiding the worst is a reasonable response. But down the road how does one establish that X brand is no longer the worst?

By reports and audits?

Reports, those hundreds of emails (many of which should have gone to the FTC(if american), not just to media)
Audits, anyone going through and documenting the process of support.

Asus can turn things around, but their reputation and good will is shot. they need to have documented fixes to these internal policy issues and then you can say after that, that they are no longer the worst. 

9 minutes ago, starsmine said:

By reports and audits?

That only deals with the apparent fraud. And you dont have to be committing apparent fraud to be the worst.

There will always be a worst company among the bunch. Was there any change as a result of reports and audits for Gigabyte's graphics card PCB issues or what Apple's genius bars are doing to customers?

10 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

That only deals with the apparent fraud. And you dont have to be committing apparent fraud to be the worst.

There will always be a worst company among the bunch. Was there any change as a result of reports and audits for Gigabyte's graphics card PCB issues or what Apple's genius bars are doing to customers?

A, no it does not only deal with fraud
B, this is fraud.