Vega hits Compubench

jasonc_01

i hope Vega is sortof affordable, if it is i may have a full AMD rig when i upgrade lol, Ryzen 5 1600x and some RX Vega GPU :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hopefully they don't try and pull the "overclockers dream" like they did with the Fury X. Look how that turned out. xD 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Though AMD is apparently working on good day 1 drivers... We can only hope.

Well they did manage to get a Day 1 driver out for Ghost Recon Wildlands, before even NVIDIA; despite it being a The Way It's Meant To Be Played title.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Honestly I just want to know exactly what it brings in the next couple of week to compete with the ti.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

17 minutes ago, TechGod said:

This could be small Vega. 

#JustSayin

Vega is still GCN at heart and GCN is limited to 64 CU's.

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I honestly hate FineWine Technology. It'd be better to just have those optimizations at the beginning like Nvidia than slowly roll them out over time. 

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Though AMD is apparently working on good day 1 drivers... We can only hope.

Yes, releasing a card at less than its full potential only to bring it up later must surely cost them a lot of sales during every launch.  Lets hope they can do better this time :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, releasing a card at less than its full potential only to bring it up later must surely cost them a lot of sales during every launch.  Lets hope they can do better this time :D 

With all the new processors out in the last few months, and the ti now out. I think they could miss the boat on many people upgrading now.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

Just now, jasonc_01 said:

With all the new processors out in the last few months, and the ti now out. I think they could miss the boat on many people upgrading now.

Maybe.  But I think a lot of people have been holding out specifically for Vega, and didn't get a 1080 or 1080 ti, even if it would have had the performance level they want.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe.  But I think a lot of people have been holding out specifically for Vega, and didn't get a 1080 or 1080 ti, even if it would have had the performance level they want.

Well thats where i'm at. Ready to upgrade my entire rig, and was hoping for vega to drop @ gdc only to find out that the 1080ti will reck.

Im waiting to swap out my 1080 for the 1080 ti until we have aftermarket options. Only way I would buy Vega is if it offered compelling performance to the TI for lower cost, if not, then TI it is. Might give a good upgrade for those wanting to jump from 1080p to 1440p or 4k who haven't already bought or won't be buying a 1080/1080 ti by coming in at like $400 for the same performance as the 1080.

Still we should rejoice if AMD can finally bring a card that has value at the enthusiast level. These balls been blue for 10 years, and by balls I mean CPU's :D

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

4 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

Well thats where i'm at. Ready to upgrade my entire rig, and was hoping for vega to drop @ gdc only to find out that the 1080ti will reck.

A while ago I made some predictions based on info we had at the time, that suggested that Vega would be (after driver optimization and all that) 95% as good as an OCed 1080 in non-Vulkan games and ~20% better than an OCed 1080 in Vulkan games.  I just some more calculations comparing RX 480 to GTX 1060, and extrapolating and, if they're true, Vega should be a force to be reckoned with - definitely better than a 1080 and possibly matching or (when overclocked) beating a stock 1080 ti 

Please keep in mind this is very rough and we don't want to start another unstoppable hype train, since those always get derailed with disastrous consequences xD 

AMD is always a year late to the GPU market.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I recall Raja saying once that AMD wanted to improve their launch drivers in the future, so that could be something we might see in the future.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@TechGod are you just laughing at my last comment or do you think I'm way off in my predictions? :P

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

@TechGod are you just laughing at my last comment or do you think I'm way off in my predictions? :P

Your last comment had me laughingxD

Its so true though. They hype trains are crazy!

So AMD will release a product that we've already had for a year now. Yawn...

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

10 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So AMD will release a product that we've already had for a year now. Yawn...

Ehm.. there is low end Vega. They are supposed to be releasing a RX 580 at near 1080 level performance. We don't know what the 590/590x or ect will be. *yawn*

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ehm.. there is low end Vega. They are supposed to be releasing a RX 580 at near 1080 level performance. We don't know what the 590/590x or ect will be. *yawn*

RX 580 is a rebrand RX 480 with a bit extra approaching 1070 performance.

Just now, jasonc_01 said:

RX 580 is a rebrand RX 480 with a bit extra approaching 1070 performance.

We have no info on this.. all we know is AMD said 1080 performance at 480 prices.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

We have no info on this.. all we know is AMD said 1080 performance at 480 prices.

Yeah that sound like a stretch.

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

Is AMD bashing fun? Do I get free stuff if I join in?

Dude, its awesome!  Like kicking homeless people, pointing and laughing at the mentally ill, or letting tradesmen know they're sub-humans for not being doctors/lawyers.  Being overtly and unreasonably critical is the only way to really live.

Just now, MoonSpot said:

Dude, its awesome!  Like kicking homeless people, pointing and laughing at the mentally ill, or letting tradesmen know they're sub-humans for not being doctors/lawyers.  Being overtly and unreasonably critical is the only way to really live.

xD omg that's so horrible...