Vega hits Compubench

jasonc_01
Just now, MoonSpot said:

Dude, its awesome!  Like kicking homeless people, pointing and laughing at the mentally ill, or letting tradesmen know they're sub-humans for not being doctors/lawyers.  Being overtly and unreasonably critical is the only way to really live.

Man I wish I had known that before!!

So is there a queue or is it a big free for all? 

6 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Man I wish I had known that before!!

So is there a queue or is it a big free for all? 

It's a big freeforall.  Here, I'll start:

hotterthanever.PNG

56e3830978688_linussubastion.jpg

To be fair though, pretty much every company deserves this for something.

post-6934-0-89493000-1377965689.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

We have no info on this.. all we know is AMD said 1080 performance at 480 prices.

source?

"If you ain't first, you're last"

30 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

source?

One of their recent share holder reports

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I honestly hate FineWine Technology. It'd be better to just have those optimizations at the beginning like Nvidia than slowly roll them out over time. 

the thing is that part of it is in the hands of devs, and theres nothing they can do, don't forget amd is playing on a tight budget

Can't come soon enough. I really wonder will they release 16GB HBM2 model.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

They won't because theres no 8gb stacks for sale rigth now from amds partner 

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Plus they dont need to because of their new tech

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

One of their recent share holder reports

if they said that it means they do not expect to have a flagship vega to compete on high end performance vs 1080ti. So they will only compete on value and price/performance vs 1080.

so after so long allowing the 1080 to sell at high margins having the high end market all to themselves is AMD going to allow the 1080ti to do the same thing? I think they are and that is a huge let down after such a long wait for high end stuff.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

the thing is that part of it is in the hands of devs, and theres nothing they can do, don't forget amd is playing on a tight budget

It's a lot of driver stuff, as evidenced by all the drivers that give performance boosts. I'd say it's more so on the driver side than dev side.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

rip night theme users kinda

Switched to night theme to see what everyone was talking about and I was blinded.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

15 hours ago, Humbug said:

if they said that it means they do not expect to have a flagship vega to compete on high end performance vs 1080ti. So they will only compete on value and price/performance vs 1080.

so after so long allowing the 1080 to sell at high margins having the high end market all to themselves is AMD going to allow the 1080ti to do the same thing? I think they are and that is a huge let down after such a long wait for high end stuff.

Well, AMD let themselves fall far behind in product development, because, according to Raja in a video interview from before Polaris released, AMD thought that graphically-demanding gaming was a phase, and had passed. An absolutely stupid and astonishing thing to think, but AMD was actually banking on the failure of PC gaming. And I believe that would be why AMD focused on minor re-releases of mostly the same GPU for many years: 7970, 280x, 380x... and as such, they're now trying to compete in a demanding market, while having picked things up again from a place that was a couple of years behind in R&D, compared to Nvidia. And it will still take them some effort to catch up.

Nvidia, on the other hand, probably could drop an 1180 right now if they wanted to, but they'll make their maximum profit by doing only as much as will keep them the top dog in the market, and not getting too far ahead. Releasing the 1080 Ti 3 months ahead of Vega is a calculated move, aiming to soak up all enthusiast purchases ahead of Vega's release, and to ensure that there's no period of time in which consumers perceive AMD to be an equal competitor, or the market's leader. Nvidia is making sure that consumers' perception that Nvidia is the best is continuous, with no moments of glory going to AMD.

AMD would be smart to stop being afraid of pushing ahead far enough to be the market leader. Things seem to me as if AMD is afraid of being the best, and is unsure of how to handle that position.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I honestly hate FineWine Technology. It'd be better to just have those optimizations at the beginning like Nvidia than slowly roll them out over time. 

Yeah, but then we'd get delayed products.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Well, AMD let themselves fall far behind in product development, because, according to Raja in a video interview from before Polaris released, AMD thought that graphically-demanding gaming was a phase, and had passed. An absolutely stupid and astonishing thing to think, but AMD was actually banking on the failure of PC gaming.

please link to this interview

20 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I don't know the link or title of it. It was a video interview with Raja, I think the one where the interviewee gives Raja some alcohol as a gift, and he drinks some of it during the interview.

Raja said that AMD expected that performance gaming was phasing out, and so they stopped putting serious investment into their discrete GPU business, or something to that effect.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

40 minutes ago, Humbug said:

It might be in this one.

Edit: Raja mentions it starting @ 7:00 in that video. Not sure if there's more mention about it later on. He says AMD was 2 - 3 years behind when they started working on Polaris, because AMD didn't feel that discrete GPU gaming was important to gaming's future. He also says he had to convince AMD that discrete GPU gaming needed to be a focus, and that the goal with Polaris was not to be competing again (with Nvidia) but just to start getting back some market share, while Radeon continues to work on catching up in development.

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:
  1. It might be in this one.

Edit: Raja mentions it starting @ 7:00 in that video. Not sure if there's more mention about it later on. He says AMD was 2 - 3 years behind when they started working on Polaris, because AMD didn't feel that discrete GPU gaming was important to gaming's future. He also says he had to convince AMD that discrete GPU gaming needed to be a focus, and that the goal with Polaris was not to be competing again (with Nvidia) but just to start getting back some market share, while Radeon continues to work on catching up in development.

right. So reading between the lines what he seems to suggest is that in 2012-2013 even though AMD was very competitive with nvidia that within the company people thought discrete pc graphics had no future. So I guess they fell behind on R&D in that area and are paying the price.

clearly the focus issues have been rectified with RTG and it shows in terms of things like AMD's great driver quality. But in terms of hardware Vega was well underway before RTG was formed. We can only hope that Navi as an architecture born out of RTG will be more impressive...

21 minutes ago, Humbug said:

right. So reading between the lines what he seems to suggest is that in 2012-2013 even though AMD was very competitive with nvidia that within the company people thought discrete pc graphics had no future. So I guess they fell behind on R&D in that area and are paying the price.

clearly the focus issues have been rectified with RTG and it shows in terms of things like AMD's great driver quality. But in terms of hardware Vega was well underway before RTG was formed. We can only hope that Navi as an architecture born out of RTG will be more impressive...

Lisa Su become President and CEO in late 2014, and it seems her influence has been critical for getting AMD back to competing. 

Makes a difference when you have an actual former R&D engineer at the head of the company. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

10 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

The benchmark also lists two maximum speeds of 1,000MHz and 1,200MHz, indicating a possible raw computing performance of 8.2 TFLOPS and 9.8 TFLOPS, respectively. By comparison, Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1070 has a raw computing performance of 6.5 TFLOPS and the GTX 1080 has 8.9 TFLOPS of performance.

Sorry if anyone has already pointed this out but we already know there are Vega GPUs at 12.5TFLOPs (unconfirmed).

https://videocardz.com/64677/amd-announces-first-vega-accelerator-radeon-instinct-mi25-for-deep-learning

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/radeon-instinct-2016dec12.aspx

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-announces-radeon-instinct-including-vega-based-mi25-accelerator.html

Wouldn't put much credit in any claims or supposed benchmarks at this point, from anyone. 

11 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I hate it when they compare TFLOPs... I'm just like... THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

that IS how it works. when you remove driver overhead. Now we know AMD has a terrible driver overhead (seems close to 15-25% in DX11), so we know that if a AMD GPU hits 10TFLOPs, it will have the "gaming" power of a 7-8TFLOPs Nvidia GPU.

53 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Lisa Su become President and CEO in late 2014, and it seems her influence has been critical for getting AMD back to competing. 

Makes a difference when you have an actual former R&D engineer at the head of the company. 

yes. She has done a good job. Actually I thought even Rory Read did a good job. He joined at the worst possible time at the bulldozer debacle and he was able to streamline the company, cut losses, start project Zen and hire big names like Jim Keller and Raja Koduri.

while the last few years have been about cutting losses and then trying to break even, now in 2017 AMD is making money again thanks to Ryzen. From may/june onwards with vega flying off the shelves in addition to Ryzen again increased profitability. Then at the end of the year the Zen APUs launch including ryzen cores and Vega graphics. Very important for AMD finally having a fast but efficient product to make money in the laptop segment which is big. Basically what all this means is that after all these years of cutting their losses finally in 2017 AMD has money flowing in in good quantities. So from now onwards with money and their stock gaining this allows Lisu Su the luxury of doing things her predecessors could not consider, they were focused on survival. The most obvious benefactor may be the R&D budgets and being able to pay big salaries to get the best talent.

36 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sorry if anyone has already pointed this out but we already know there are Vega GPUs at 12.5TFLOPs (unconfirmed).

irony = using the words 'know' and 'unconfirmed' to refer to the same info.

but lol ya I get your point.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

yes. She has done a good job. Actually I thought even Rory Read did a good job. He joined at the worst possible time at the bulldozer debacle and he was able to streamline the company, cut losses, start project Zen and hire big names like Jim Keller and Raja Koduri.

while the last few years have been about cutting losses and then trying to break even, now in 2017 AMD is making money again thanks to Ryzen. From may/june onwards with vega flying off the shelves in addition to Ryzen again increased profitability. Then at the end of the year the Zen APUs launch including ryzen cores and Vega graphics. Very important for AMD finally having a fast but efficient product to make money in the laptop segment which is big. Basically what all this means is that after all these years of cutting their losses finally in 2017 AMD has money flowing in in good quantities. So from now onwards with money and their stock gaining this allows Lisu Su the luxury of doing things her predecessors could not consider, they were focused on survival. The most obvious benefactor may be the R&D budgets and being able to pay hire salaries to get the best talent.

actually, AMD is - shockingly - doing pretty good with Bristol Ridge models. I dont know what witchcraft they have applied to their Excavator 2 cores. But they keep up with Skylake i3 ULVs and i5 ULVs in CPU workloads. Graphics murders the intel chips.

Just now, Humbug said:

irony = using the words 'know' and 'unconfirmed' to refer to the same info.

but lol ya I get your point.

Nothing like using contradictions to make my point even more meaningless xD.