What's the equivalent from AMD?

Posted (edited)

What CPU and mobo would be equivalent to the 12700k and Asus TG H670 Pro wifi D4? This is for the future, not now.聽 And, yes, with as many M.2, SSD, PCIe and USB, and fan headers, but please no shared lanes.

Suggestions for something better are not needed and will be marked off topic, as will anything else that doesn't answer my questions, except for a good joke! 馃槈 This is strictly for comparison testing. I am looking for something that has a similar heat profile, too, because I'm testing coolers and TIMs.

Also, are there any comparable suggestions for RAM, considering: D4 64GB, 3600 MHz, CL18? It is my understanding that AMD is better with 4 sticks...?

Thanks!

Edited by RevGAM
Added more info

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

9 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What CPU and mobo would be equivalent to the 12700k and Asus TG H670 Pro wifi D4?

5900X is the closest with any half decent B550 board paired with it. If you want something on AM5 instead, there isn't really a direct competitor as the 7700X is a bit slower while the 7900X is a bit faster. The 7900 non-X with stock power limits might be that, though I forget exactly what the performance characteristics of that chip are off the top of my head.聽

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

It is my understanding that AMD is better with 4 sticks...?

It's complicated. On DDR4 it was better with dual rank, which was generally easiest to obtain with 4x8GB compared to 2x16GB, though 2x16GB dual rank was still generally easier to use. On DDR5 you want to avoid 4 sticks if possible.聽

If you're going AM4, get some cheap 3200 CL16 kit as spending any more on RAM doesn't make sense. If you go DDR5, 6000 CL30 is usually the best value.聽

14 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What CPU and mobo would be equivalent to the 12700k and Asus TG H670 Pro wifi D4?

CPU? depends if it's gaming or productivity or both,

12700k is like a slightly better than 5700x3D gaming wise and 7600, though 7600 would probably be right behind in performance,

for productivity AM5 with 8 cores I guess so 7700 and higher more or less,

all the Intel CPUs can have up from 0 to several more cores/threads more compared to AMD so the comparison especially on productivity can be tricky.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Equivalent in what sense? Market segment? Price? Performance? The date of release?

The answer is different depending on the above ^^聽

There's not really anything that is directly comparable though, but agree with the above that a 5900X probably makes the most sense right now, but you wouldn't buy one of those CPUs for gaming when the 5700X3D is available.

On socket AM4, you're pretty much limited by the number of pci-e lanes the chipset gives you , combined with the 20 pci-e lanes the CPU brings (16 go to video card slot, 4 go to first M.2 connector)

So for example with B550 chipset, you're left with 10 or so pci-e lanes that can be put either on a pci-e x4 and one m.2 connector and some pci-e x1 slots, or they can play around with using only 2 pci-e lanes for the second m.2 connector

On socket AM5, there's now 24聽 pci-e lanes coming from cpu available to user (there's 28 in total, but 4 are used to make the connection to chipset) so you may have 8 pci-e lanes available for M.2 connectors, if the motherboard maker doesn't use the extra pci-e lanes for extra usb controllers or wireless cards.聽

With chipsets, with B650 you have 8 pci-e 4.0 lanes and up to 4 pci-e 3.0 lanes聽 (if the sata ports are not used)\

(note that the pictures are wrong, it's actually only 24 pci-e 5.0 lanes from cpu

image.thumb.png.117e503290cc9092ae514dbb26a00c7d.png

X670 chipset based boards are basically made using two regular chipsets connected together... so you get more pci-e lanes and usb ports and all that :

image.thumb.png.00db74eb3a1a96a29ebf6bcc2e56a6ec.png

so look for x670 motherboards if you really want lots of pci-e lanes, but that will be reflected in the price...聽 for example the cheapest board available locally is Gigabyte X670E Aorus Pro X at $385 : X670E AORUS PRO X Specification | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

You get 4 M.2 connectors, 2 from cpu and 2 from chipset(s), and the couple extra pci-e x16 slots are with 4 lanes and 2 lanes.