Vega hits Compubench

jasonc_01
1 hour ago, Humbug said:

So from now onwards with money and their stock gaining this allows Lisu Su the luxury of doing things her predecessors could not consider, they were focused on survival. The most obvious benefactor may be the R&D budgets and being able to pay big salaries to get the best talent.

Not only that, but AMD has finally been added to the S&P 500! This means, Index Funds, Mutual Funds, and ETFs and more will now be purchasing AMD shares!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/urban-outfitters-first-solar-frontier-communications-booted-from-sp-500-2017-03-10

It's huge for them, is exactly what we as consumers need. The better AMD does the better the entire sector will be for us thanks to competition.

AMD might not go 1-1 with Intel, and NVIDIA yet; they have some weaknesses in their current products; but it bodes very well for the future.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 hour ago, Quibiss said:

What is it that people always make AMD treat like the poor little underdog who gets bullied by the big bad Nvidias and Intels? People apologizing on behalf of AMD in advance of product launches, religiously defending them when the hypetrain (usually) does not deliver etc. Nvidia, Intel and AMD are billion dollar corporations who just want your money, they aren't your buddies nor do they pay you for your almost cult-like PR work. Before I get lynched, I think the same of Intel and Nvidia. If a product is, by my definition, good, I am going to buy it, no matter who manufactured it. But jesus, the stuff that gets posted lately, especially on this forum, when AMD is involved is seriously grinding my gears. This is how AMD, Nvidia, Intel, and all the other big shots of any industry see us:

Wallet-with-money.jpg

i think most people know this, but they wan't the market to be competitive again and have ethical consumerism.

38 minutes ago, tlink said:

i think most people know this, but they wan't the market to be competitive again and have ethical consumerism.

Yup! I've personally spent more on NVIDIA hardware in the last 2 years than I have AMD graphics in my entire life. Yet that doesn't stop me from want proper competition and pricing for consumers.

Even if you account for inflation some new graphics cards and processors are a piss take.

My NVIDIA 7950GX2 was £381

qS3Sjs9.png

ATI 2900GT

LCiSSng.jpg

iXWkwVd.png

I bought my AMD 4870X2 for £390 and that's with shipping. This was The card of its time.

VgJhrQP.jpg

YxAKIC6.png

GTX 470 £270 with shipping

CMsaQDa.png

Even my GTX 580 was £290.

N45DtpI.png

How much was the 8800GTX OC2? £417 with shipping.

J4Jywup.png

Then NVIDIA decided to change their naming scheme, and sel their midrange chips for flagship prices.

zdYXhus.png

Even then I kept buying..why?  I wanted and needed the performance each time. I kept feeding this horrible cycle.

In 2015 I bought the GTX 980, along with the Titan X, and two 980Tis

OhUQq1Q.jpg

1a71400f58004cacade020132a55516d.png

l63Ov7y.jpg

9dbdcec564d54a569759d5891f962109.png

irO7Mmr.jpg?1

qNyvhVH.png?1

I honestly can't bring myself to feed into that anymore. So if AMD Vega comes out and is better than NVIDIA; I'll buy it. If it's 10% slower, but cheaper; I'll buy it.
I mostly use OpenCL acceleration anyway, and now have a FreeSync panel; so if it's decently faster than the Fury X, it's an upgrade. All without feeding into NVIDIA's consumer milking pricing.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

11 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

We have no info on this.. all we know is AMD said 1080 performance at 480 prices.

Where did they say that?

13 hours ago, Orangeator said:

As a multiple year long night theme user, I still haven't got used to these kind of posts. It's the cancer of this forum. Lol.

What's really cancerous are the people who complain about other people's posts, imposing their decision on others. Personally, Idgaf if you're using the night theme, deal with it.

Well for one, we know it will reach 12.5TFLOPS or more because of amd's radeon instinct, which reaches 25Tflops fp16 ( or half for fp32) and is also based on vega. This tells me this is an underclocked version of the card ( 12.5TFLOPS would mean 1600mhz), and that this is in no way indicative of the final retail chip ( especially considering fiji also reaches 8tflops). 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

11 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

We have no info on this.. all we know is AMD said 1080 performance at 480 prices.

Yeah no. Not for vega 10 anyway. That chip is 500+mm²

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

13 hours ago, bakidota said:

vega was never designed to beat 1080ti, it was designed to go head to head vs 1080gtx

Yeah no. Not considering the die size disparity. It was designed to go head to head with the titan xp and higher. 

people need to stop trippin over amd, after all they are the dirty company which pours u water and tell u its wine. i mean srsly just watch gamers nexus ryzen review you will see that when amd compares benchmarks between them and intel they cheat heavily, in sniper elite they point the cursor to the skybox just so they can gain more fps and in bf1 they zoom in more to get more fps

i guarantee u they wont stop with this, they will pull of more stunts like this, they will showcase vega only in heavily amd optimized games like sniper elite and doom

3 minutes ago, bakidota said:

people need to stop trippin over amd, after all they are the dirty company which pours u water and tell u its wine. i mean srsly just watch gamers nexus ryzen review you will see that when amd compares benchmarks between them and intel they cheat heavily, in sniper elite they point the cursor to the skybox just so they can gain more fps and in bf1 they zoom in more to get more fps

i guarantee u they wont stop with this, they will pull of more stunts like this, they will showcase vega only in heavily amd optimized games like sniper elite and doom

somehow you fail to realise that that's their point

they're a business

they have to make money somehow

and if that's putting fanboys onto a dream

so fucking be it

idk

44 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Please can we avoid arguments.

How about we sum up the article in one sentence?

'We can't tell how good Vega will be from tflops.'

More like : We can't tell how good Vega will be because this is an engineering sample, AND flops are a bad way to mesure performance. 

15 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Vega just popped up on Compubench, and it looks to be good but is still Reckt by the new 1080ti.

seems to be 30% slower , so pretty much on par w/ a 1080 , price it at 500$ and we have a winner 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Eh?  You know the 1080 is priced at $499 now, right?

https://youtu.be/79-s8byUkxk?t=1637

fug , so it has to be 500$ and use its 16gb hbm and performance to win over people 

but maybe it will be 529 / 549 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

15 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

fug , so it has to be 500$ and use its 16gb hbm and performance to win over people 

This sample is clocked significantly slower than final retail though. 

9 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Yeah, but then we'd get delayed products.

Nvidias products aren't delayed so that's not really that valid of an argument. You could argue, "AMD doesn't have the money for this!" But this would be something that could make them money over the long term! 

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

that IS how it works. when you remove driver overhead. Now we know AMD has a terrible driver overhead (seems close to 15-25% in DX11), so we know that if a AMD GPU hits 10TFLOPs, it will have the "gaming" power of a 7-8TFLOPs Nvidia GPU.

That's part of it but still not the full story. TFLOPs is literally shader count*clock speed*2, but in gaming stuff like ROPs, TMUs, memory bandwidth, and ipc of the shaders themselves can make a huge difference as well. There's a reason why I've barely seen a single game where the Fury X is very close to the 1080 in performance (both have similar TFLOP count).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

18 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

It only has two stacks of ram which will be 8gb on a 2048 bit bus.

Just now, LeStringMan said:

It only has two stacks of ram which will be 8gb on a 2048 bit bus.

https://compubench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=compu20d&os=Windows&api=cl&D=AMD+687F%3AC1&testgroup=info

Unbenannt.PNG

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Oh ho ho!   Now that's something to think a bit more about.  Was almost certain that it was going to be 2  4GB stacks,  so thanks for that(am going to still want to see that on the box before I'll believe it) .   Still perf isn't there.

Edited by MoonSpot
Remove blinding white image from quote.