Upgrading cooler on i7 8700

remi233

hi ! i have a 5-6 years old prebuilt pc with an intel i7 8700, 16gb of ram and a recently upgraded rtx 4060 ( i know it’s overkill but i got a good deal on it). obviously, the cpu is struggling to keep up with the gpu. i tried to increase the boost power on intel xtu, but it gets WAY to hot. i still have the stock intel cooler and would like to upgrade it so i can increase the turbo boost speed. any recommendations?

16 minutes ago, remi233 said:

hi ! i have a 5-6 years old prebuilt pc with an intel i7 8700, 16gb of ram and a recently upgraded rtx 4060 ( i know it’s overkill but i got a good deal on it). obviously, the cpu is struggling to keep up with the gpu. i tried to increase the boost power on intel xtu, but it gets WAY to hot. i still have the stock intel cooler and would like to upgrade it so i can increase the turbo boost speed. any recommendations?

Why is a RTX 4060 overkill?

As @Tetras mentioned.  The Peerless assassin or phantom spirit are the best cooler for the price on the market right now.
They will easily cool a 8700 🙂

27 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Peerless assassin or phantom spirit.

^^^

Latter is abit better but i wouldnt spend >5$ for it over the peerless assassin

It is just an 8700 so if all the cheap dual towers (aformentioned ps/pa120 and the ag/ak620) are overpriced in your country even a 4/5 heatpipe will suffice like the assassin king

If your country happens to have china coolers available you might be able to get a cheap snowman 6 heatpipe, forgot its actual name but it can be cheaper than even the 4/5 heatpipe towers cause i can buy one for like 10$ here in indo while the others are at 15-20$, just dont buy the rgb one if you care about cooling performance cause apparently the rgb fan sucks

Do keep in mind that you can carry coolers over to new platforms so if the cheap dual towers are cheap just buy em since you can move em over to a new platform, if theyre overpriced then nothing wrong with cheaping out abit