HUGE Amounts of Pre-orders for Ryzen... What Could This Mean for AMD?

DocSwag

Source: https://www.shroutresearch.com/blog/2017/2/24/anecdotal-early-amd-ryzen-pre-orders-show-exceptional-demand

Though we may have to wait months before getting reports from market research firms or from AMD earnings calls, we have at least some anecdotal information to share. PC Perspective is a long running hardware review and information website catering to enthusiasts and PC gamers. Through a bit of luck (being placed near the top of February 22nd Google searches for “Ryzen”) and an Amazon affiliate integration, PC Perspective had a sales day topping $300,000 in PC hardware!

From that information, and a breakdown of the specific items purchased and their categories, the following data was provided:

8C5BEFD3-CB07-4D35-ABAA-B38B98E486A0-2922-000006B1D273E338_tmp.png

Though PC Perspective is just a single data point in what was likely hundreds of websites offering links to resellers for Ryzen, the sheer volume was astounding. That single day of sales was well beyond the second highest sales day for PC Perspective’s affiliate code, including and Black Friday, other hardware launches, etc. It also represents a 100x increase over the average sales per day. One day does not guarantee success for any product, but I can assuredly say now that AMD has met many users’ expectations.

Of that $300,000 in sales, more than $150,000 was not of Ryzen processors or X370/B350 motherboards. This brings us to another important point: with the exception of Intel, every other hardware vendor should be welcoming the influx in new builds. Users were buying graphics cards, memory kits, power supplies, storage and SSDs, cases and more, all in preparation to build a new PC for gaming and productivity. AMD hopes to take advantage of that trend with its upcoming Vega graphics cards but NVIDIA and its GeForce GTX cards stand to make considerable movement as well. Other vendors like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Corsair, OCZ, EVGA, and others, including accessories suppliers like Logitech, should all see some modicum of uptick in hardware sales in the coming weeks and months.

This is very interesting... Ryan Shrout stated that in launch day their amazona affiliate orders were over 100x higher than average, indicating that normally they only get about $3000 a day but on February 22nd they got $300,000 worth of sales through their amazon affiliate account. If we just do some quick math, we realize that goes to about $60,000 in sales of Ryzen CPUs or about 150 or so Ryzen CPUs. While that may not seem like a lot, you have to take into account that this is one tech youtuber on one website. If we take into account it seems like on day one in pre orders alone amd has probably had at least a few thousand sales in desktop CPUs for a CPU that has not even been released yet! This is very impressive. And the most interesting thing is sales of other components went up a lot as well, which indicates people are building brand new systems and/or doing huge upgrades to their pc, all because of Ryzen. Everyone knows the desktop pc market has been shrinking but perhaps with Ryzen this could be reversed.

As well, seeing as pre orders already saw at least a few thousand Ryzen CPUs what could this mean for when Ryzen reviews are out? And this is only their 8 core CPUs!

These are astounding numbers and exciting times for pc users. I'm honestly stoked to see what this could mean for everyone.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

It means there better be some CPUs available on release day or I'm writing mean tweets. :D

-KuJoe

The fact is that a lot of ppl have been waiting for some upgrades and Ryzen is a big one - it gives the a lot more threads than Intel.

I hope that the hype is for something else than only the hype. I guess we'll get the actual benchmarks in a few days.

It means that AMD might be able to finally claw back some market share from Intel.

I'm currently speccing out an R7 1800X build as I need the threads (I do more than just gaming). Also going flagship is always a satisfying feeling.

Still not preordering though. I still hold some skepticism as to how Ryzen will perform in gaming :)

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

150 idiots used PCPer's link to pre-order instead of waiting for proper reviews to come out before deciding to buy a product. 

Is it really so hard to wait for reviews? Like I said before, it's amazing that people can be so against pre-ordering a game for 60 dollars but pre-ordering a CPU and motherboard for like 700 dollars is totally fine. 

Just goes to show how easily influenced people are by marketing... 

Just now, Phentos said:

It means that AMD might be able to finally claw back some market share from Intel.

I'm currently speccing out an R7 1800X build as I need the threads (I do more than just gaming). Also going flagship is always a satisfying feeling.

Going flagship for half the price it used to be is an even better feeling. :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Means that people STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND that they SHOULD NOT PREORDER. Doesn't matter how great the product seems like.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

9d7D_f-maxage-0.gif

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, LAwLz said:

150 idiots used PCPer's link to pre-order instead of waiting for proper reviews to come out before deciding to buy a product. 

Is it really so hard to wait for reviews? Like I said before, it's amazing that people can be so against pre-ordering a game for 60 dollars but pre-ordering a CPU and motherboard for like 700 dollars is totally fine. 

I agree they shouldn't have pre ordered, but this article is not about that but rather how muc demand this indicates Ryzen has.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe it means taste for variety is a thing :P 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

You sound like they spent your money.

3 minutes ago, Phentos said:

And only lasts 6 months as the next flagship passes you by :D

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Just now, Ensho said:

And only lasts 6 months as the next flagship passes you buy :D

And I'm okay with that, as it's the name of the game. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Even if Ryzen is a huge flop, these pre-orders are good for consumers as it'll light a fire under Intel's ass. The amount of pre-orders is definitely sending a message to Intel and I 100% support it.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Pre-ording hardware makes tons more sense than software as their aren't any software shortages if people want to have their cpu as soon as possible thats a good way to make shore they get one before they run out. And if people will use it for productivity it will not disappoint unless something is really wrong 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

Pre-ording hardware makes tons more sense than software as their aren't any software shortages if people want to have their cpu as soon as possible thats a good way to make shore they get one before they run out. And if people will use it for productivity it will not disappoint unless something is really wrong 

+1, even if the performance is half of what the current reports are now I will still be buying one for those tasty tasty threads and added support.

-KuJoe

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Or it could mean that 150 people have been waiting to upgrade for 5 to 7 years as they didn't see Bulldozer or its iterations as an adequate upgrade from their Phenomenon chips...

Imo i find ryzen pre launch to be meh.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Going flagship for half the price it used to be is an even better feeling. :D 

1/3+ of the price rermember the 6950x is 1700$ :P

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

A lot of people pre-ordered from amazon (free returns). So basically if it's awesome you've got it right away, if it sucks just a couple clicks to return.

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes because $1000++ CPUs is what majority of people need and buy.

Even if AMD made a CPU on par with a supercomputer, they won't earn any money if no one can afford it.

That said, AMD appears to not even have plans to rival Intel's enthusiast platform chipsets that are overbuilt with excess features.

There will always be a market for Intel even in the extreme circumstance where AMD dominates mainstream (which I doubt will happen)

No need to be salty about Ryzen's success.

Heh..The salty one is you because I made no reference to Ryzen..just the nature of the game.  Which, btw..the person I quoted actually caught on to.  I apologize for triggering you.  

Anyway, you think Ryzen is a success because fan boys pre-ordered them before they were properly reviewed?  Let's see what happens if Ryzen chips don't overclock well and end up losing out after factoring in overclocking to see just how successful Ryzen will be.  People who buy parts like this that are unlocked don't run them stock speeds.  They will be competitive regardless, but cool your jets lol.  If they do overclock well, then yeah...they will be a resounding sucsess.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes because $1000++ CPUs is what majority of people need and buy.

Even if AMD made a CPU on par with a supercomputer, they won't earn any money if no one can afford it.

That said, AMD appears to not even have plans to rival Intel's enthusiast platform chipsets that are overbuilt with excess features.

There will always be a market for Intel even in the extreme circumstance where AMD dominates mainstream (which I doubt will happen)

No need to be salty about Ryzen's success.

Its still possible that naples will fill that gap in the market

As it will have more cores and be more server/prosumer oriented. I would love to have a asus ws with a big core count naples cpu. As a home server

18 minutes ago, Ensho said:

Heh..The salty one is you because I made no reference to Ryzen..just the nature of the game.  Which, btw..the person I quoted actually caught on to.  I apologize for triggering you.  

Anyway, you think Ryzen is a success because fan boys pre-ordered them before they were properly reviewed?  Let's see what happens if Ryzen chips don't overclock well and end up losing out after factoring in overclocking to see just how successful Ryzen will be.  People who buy parts like this that are unlocked don't run them stock speeds.  They will be competitive regardless, but cool your jets lol.  If they do overclock well, then yeah...they will be a resounding sucsess.

I just noticed something remember the leak that ryzen beated the world record of cinebench well that record was made with an 5960X at 6GHZ and they said ryzen was at 5.1-5.2 that means ryzen has better ipc when smt is on vs intels hiperthreading.

If true would be great