HUGE Amounts of Pre-orders for Ryzen... What Could This Mean for AMD?

DocSwag
31 minutes ago, LukaH said:

1/3+ of the price rermember the 6950x is 1700$ :P

1800x isn't a 6950x equivalent but a 6900k equivalent hence why I said half the price ;)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

I just noticed something remember the leak that ryzen beated the world record of cinebench well that record was made with an 5960X at 6GHZ and they said ryzen was at 5.1-5.2 that means ryzen has better ipc when smt is on vs intels hiperthreading.

If true would be great

We should wait for real benchmarks to see for sure ;)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

We should wait for real benchmarks to see for sure ;)

i am broke af soo... i have to wait :-)

6 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Means that AMD managed to keep the hype going :P

Its a unstoppable force by now

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

It means there better be some CPUs available on release day or I'm writing mean tweets. :D

@amd the hype train stole my CPU (insert pic of empty shelves) 

Part of me hopes that Ryzen is a good chip so the competition will increase and be better all around.

Part of me hopes it crashes and burns like No Man's Sky.

It's catering to a pretty small part of the market at the moment, a CPU manufacturer cannot live on enthusiasts alone. It's how many chips they can get into laptops and the ultra cheap desktops that infest offices across the world that really counts. Definitely a strong start though.

AMD kinda killed Ryzen R7 for me, since the best boards you can get right now aren't enthusiast class, just run of the mill middle class motherboards. I wish they had moved the R7 CPUs over to a more enthusiast platform... ofc there is still time for higher quality boards to come out.

I think the R5 CPUs are way more interesting. 

It is nice to see that AMD does well, but I think the people preordering the CPUs are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

AMD kinda killed Ryzen R7 for me, since the best boards you can get right now aren't enthusiast class, just run of the mill middle class motherboards. I wish they had moved the R7 CPUs over to a more enthusiast platform... ofc there is still time for higher quality boards to come out.

I think the R5 CPUs are way more interesting. 

It is nice to see that AMD does well, but I think the people preordering the CPUs are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

I am actually hyped for R5, if an 8 core can clock to optimistically 4.5 on air, imagine what a 4 core could do. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

150 idiots used PCPer's link to pre-order instead of waiting for proper reviews to come out before deciding to buy a product. 

Is it really so hard to wait for reviews? Like I said before, it's amazing that people can be so against pre-ordering a game for 60 dollars but pre-ordering a CPU and motherboard for like 700 dollars is totally fine. 

Just goes to show how easily influenced people are by marketing... 

Either way, if ryzen comes under the hype, they are at minimum decent cpus. And it helps AMDs R&D budget, which helps them then make better cpus, which claws back market share from intel, which will equalize the pricing and make real competition.

I don't see the issue with all those people having pre-ordered. It's a win win for literally everyone involved, unless someone expected ryzen to be way better than the hype is. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

10 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am actually hyped for R5, if an 8 core can clock to optimistically 4.5 on air, imagine what a 4 core could do. 

R5 is 6 core, but yes they should be better for OCing

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

It's catering to a pretty small part of the market at the moment, a CPU manufacturer cannot live on enthusiasts alone. It's how many chips they can get into laptops and the ultra cheap desktops that infest offices across the world that really counts. Definitely a strong start though.

What about the crosshair, isnt that enough ?

19 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

R5 is 6 core, but yes they should be better for OCing

Apparently R5 1400x will be the top dog quad core. R5 should be both 4 and 6 core. Actually best not to think about it until official release. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

This would have been my comment.  Enthusiast desktop builds are a fractional part of the consumer compute market.  It maybe buys AMD a couple years more time, but they're still going to be unable to survive long term in their current form against NV and INTC.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

That's the market AMD needs to prove itself to though. I believe that the enthusiast market is what drives innovation in the CPU field, otherwise the CPU manufacturers would just be like "You want more than 4 cores? Build a server!" If they can please the enthusiast market, they can easily win over the other markets with their marketing drivel.

-KuJoe

13 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That's the market AMD needs to prove itself to though. I believe that the enthusiast market is what drives innovation in the CPU field, otherwise the CPU manufacturers would just be like "You want more than 4 cores? Build a server!" If they can please the enthusiast market, they can easily win over the other markets with their marketing drivel.

Yeah, while it doesn't make sense, I think that whoever holds the performance crown at the top makes a bit of an impact on sales to other GPUs. I'm not sure why, but I think that that does affect some people.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah, while it doesn't make sense, I think that whoever holds the performance crown at the top makes a bit of an impact on sales to other GPUs. I'm not sure why, but I think that that does affect some people.

But Intel doesn't make GPUs. :P

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

But Intel doesn't make GPUs. :P

I was referring to Nvidia ;)

EDIT: To clarify, I think it's more prevalent in GPUs due to the performance crown in CPUs could be referred to from a multi core or single core standpoint but yeah, you're right.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I mean I'm not surprised about it, the complete new architecture, SMT, smaller node and shown IPC% increase is more than enough for many to pre-order I guess.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, DocSwag said:

1800x isn't a 6950x equivalent but a 6900k equivalent hence why I said half the price ;)

my bad thought we were comparing flagships :D

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)