Are consoles actually as bad as most PC enthusiasts say?

Most PC enthusiast I know say: Consoles are crap, consoles are cheap etc. How much of what PC enthusiasts say about consoles is actually true?

I don't see how consoles being cheap would be a bad thing. They play games (and more), if that's what you want, they're great value and very little hassle. 

There's a lot of elitism among PC gamers, but really, it depends what you want to do with the system. Each platform has its advantages and disadvantages. 

Its all personal preference.

PC's are better in a lot of regards, consoles have some advantages as well.

PCs will allow for much better graphics (if you have the horsepower for it), however, gaming on pc can also be a lot worse because of poorly optimized games not performing well, especially at launch. You also have to worry about keeping drivers and stuff up to date, as well as virus-free.

To those of us who are comfortable with pulling hardware and editing config files, the PC is much, much better.

For someone who wants to veg out on the couch with games and doesn't know what a graphics driver is, the console wins hands down.

When in doubt, re-format.

Previous generations not so much, this current generation is pretty fucking weak in a lot of departments. With all the issues they are having with day 1 patches and poor performance I wouldnt touch this gen with a 10 foot pole. Older ones like the original xbox/ps2/CG/360/PS3 are all pretty good so long as you set your expectations to match what the consoles were made to deliver. Despite the lower resolutions and framerates I do still enjoy playing on my original xbox and my gamecube. Obviously people blow things out of proportion so take every negative thing someone says about an opposing platform with a few grains of salt.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

And you ask this to a community of pc enthusiasts? :P

Jokes aside, I believe that consoles (not in general, specifically the ps4 and xbone) currently don't offer a compelling value as a personal game system. They are less powerful than a similarly priced pc and the value is even lower when you consider the arbitrary internet fee and game licensing prices. Many of the classic console advantages are not present, so as far as I'm concerned they aren't worth my money.

That doesn't mean they have NO value or that they CAN'T offer a decent experience, I simply think a custom pc is a better choice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am a console gamer and I think that is mostly related to being able to play the newest triple A titles at a price under three hundred dollars. Now I also agree that pc is superior in a lot of ways but who can buy a new pc for $300 and get the same performance?( I have also had a bad pc experience as I have a 2010 toshiba laptop and I do not have the funds to get a new PC)

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

3 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

Most PC enthusiast I know say: Consoles are crap, consoles are cheap etc. How much of what PC enthusiasts say about consoles is actually true?

See, most PCs are better because of their upgrade potential. Let's say you bought a PC in 2008 with a Core i7 920, and a GeForce GTX 280, and 4GB of RAM. Today, that might be slow. But, that gives you an upgrade path to a i7 965, a GTX 1060, and 16GB of ram. The processor would be a bottleneck in this example, but the idea is that even REALLY OLD PCs can be used for a very long time. On the console side of things, you can't. There's no upgrade path. You're stuck with the hardware the OEM gave you.

They may not be as bad as most people make them out to be, but they aren't nearly as good as a PC. You can get far better performance from a PC than a console. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The biggest thing consoles lack are the ability to play games at 60fps all of the time on every game, whereas on PC you can simply adjust graphics settings and other things to attain 60fps or more.

Graphics on the PS4 or Xbone aren't too big of a downer from what I've seen, it's just the framerate.

I am just Curious about the opinions of other people, becauseI am not able to make a neutral decision. I am really into gaming, but I prefer apples OS X thats why i I dual boot into windows because OS X is not about gaming in any way, thats obvious. But with consoles and pc is a different thing

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Graphics on the PS4 or Xbone aren't too big of a downer from what I've seen, it's just the framerate.

LOL, after testing my laptop and getting 20 fps on the lowest settings in minecraft with optifine, the framerates seem godly to me

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

1 minute ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

LOL, after testing my laptop and getting 20 fps on the lowest settings in minecraft with optifine, the framerates seem godly to me

Hey, that's better than mine. My laptop gets 2FPS. That's not an exaggeration. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Bigbootyjudy said:

Once you experience a constant 60fps on PC it will blow your mind. :) 

Just now, Kloaked said:

YUP

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

So true.

from my experience playing pc, xb360, xb1 is that yes sure you sacrifice graphics and high performance but most games are a lot more optimised in comparison to there pc counterparts and usually most games these days seem to be developed with xbox or ps4 in mind first then reworked to work on the pc afterward.

to me the only thing i care about really is control schemes i tend to play a lot of FPS on PC (overwatch being an exception) aswell as management games you just dont get on console like cities skylines and planet coaster prison architect (i know theres a console version but i cant stand it) where as games like forza horzion 3, gta v, whitcher 3 id much rather play sat on my sofa with an xbox controller rather than in my office chair at my desk on keyboard and mouse 

I lurk a lot

Just asking. Do you see the information about my pc under my comments? I dont

Heres the full reason why xbox hates playstation and playstation hates xbox. There was always a console war ever since consoles were first made. This mainly started when the first xbox and playstation came out. All these console gamers believe that there console is more powerful then a PC. They are wrong and they will always truly be wrong. Unless these companies plan to put GTX 1060's and at least i7's in their systems. At least then the MORE POWERFUL aspects of consoles would cool down.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

if playstations were modular and upgradable.. that would be something i would buy. 

A upgradable xbox would be better. Thats a version of windows running on it

There are three reasons I can't really can't play games on a console:

-The framerate is almost universally low, usually around 30FPS, and also inconsistent. I always notice low framerates, especially when they fluctuate.

-The input latency is awful. There's not much else to say, latency is important to me, and consoles just don't care.

-I could never get used to the controllers. An analog stick isn't meant for precise movement, I have no idea how anyone manages to use them to friggin' aim.

I don't really care that much about graphical fidelity, I just want the interface to be good, and consoles just don't have a good interface. They might actually be good if they could use different controllers and gave you some graphics settings, but they don't. So...

If you don't mind the controllers, the latency, and the developers deciding bigger textures are more important than a good framerate, then consoles are fine. You can build a better PC for cheaper, but not the difference in price isn't massive enough to make them hideously overpriced.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I can objectively say that PC is the better of the two. I have owned every single console since the colecovision (aside from the dumpster fire that is virtua boy) and back in the day i would have handed it to the console. It was turn on and play, no worries. Today however there are game issues like some have noted, day one patches, 50+GB downloads before you can even play, the fact your system needs updates. The console game (no pun intended) is no longer what it was. Gone are the days you unpack a new console, open a new game and are gaming and having fun in 5 minutes or less. The video game console has become a compact computer with outdated specs, small slow hard drives, all the downfalls of PC gaming, and none of the PC's upgrade ability. As well as the fact digital download (steam and the like) usually have great sales to bring down prices of games, while console games usually never see more than a 5 dollar discount even after a few years. Being Canadian the price of console gaming, cheaper for the console, heaps more for the games, is making it less and less viable for my wallet. I've had my computer now for 4 years, I saw AAA titles starting to fall a bit in frames, so I bought a well priced GTX 1070 FTW (using the sale of my 780ti to bring the price under $200 mind you) and now I'm good for a few more years at least. My brand new PS4 that was $299 (boxing day sale, usually $350+), plus $50 (boxing day price, usually $75) for another controller and $80 for NHL 17 has left me wanting, seeing some terrible frame rates sometimes and an investment way more than my PC graphics upgrade cost me.

It also depends of what you do in your everyday life.. I can't afford a console and a good PC at the same time, and I need the computer for my studies (computer engineering).. If I had enough money, maybe.. but at the moment, I can't

Another thing is that consoles are always being hacked by fucken leafyishere. Or Lizard Squad a few years ago in I think 2014. I built my brother a computer and he loves his computer. I put a GTX 760 in it and a i5 6400. Plays his games at max. He loves it more than his PS4, the most FPS he could get on console was about 30.

The geek himself.