Are consoles actually as bad as most PC enthusiasts say?

4 hours ago, luegnicl said:

Most PC enthusiast I know say: Consoles are crap, consoles are cheap etc. How much of what PC enthusiasts say about consoles is actually true?

In my experience, yes and no. I find actually playing games on consoles pretty much as enjoyable as playing on PC. However, where consoles fail for me is multiplayer. The Xbox One party system is broken at best, and that's when it works at all.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

That's why LoL and Overwatch and other "Just play it on the most popular graphics card ever, intel igpus" will remain the #1 for a good while. Doesn't means they're not proper PC games I maintain that games like this and smaller, 2D or basic 3D indie games are proper PC games and should be afforded attention.

But the argument I'm making is about AAA games, which is what App4that seemed to be referencing when saying consoles are holding back gaming. It sounds like he's complaining about the much weaker hardware in consoles vs what's in a quality gaming pc someone who knew what he was doing would build.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

PC builders are never going to become the majority though. Most people aren't tech nuts, which you basically have to be to build your own pc and do a good job of it.

I was just saying that your argument was wrongly going with his statement, he was saying that consoles are holding back video games and that'll change if people built PCs and you were saying that AAA titles would never come but I was just saying that he said if not when

18 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My eyes must suck then because I'm not sure I've noticed fps issues on my consoles.  Not saying you're wrong just that my eyes are bad I guess. 

Can you explain about the controller latency?

Have you ever played on a gaming PC?

LOL isn't a big budget AAA game. It's the kind of game you can play on any pc. I'm not sure how the consoles are holding back AAA gaming but LOL is making some great contribution to it.

You actually just proved my point. Gaming isn't AAA titles. That's what the console manufacturers want us to think, but it's not true. Having fun is the game industry. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

But the argument I'm making is about AAA games, which is what App4that seemed to be referencing when saying consoles are holding back gaming. It sounds like he's complaining about the much weaker hardware in consoles vs what's in a quality gaming pc someone who knew what he was doing would build.

Fair enough, although AAA games are fairly inconsequencial to me when Indie games can look like this:

Spoiler

The-Witcher-3-9.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Then you haven't been watching the market, why do you think both Nvidia and AMD have seen huge stock price increases?

But with board partners building pre build gaming PCs I hope we see a resurgence. 

Nvidia has been doing a ton of diversification away from gaming and they have managed to get hardcore pc gamers to pay twice as much for their gpus vs a few years ago. AMD has new processors coming out. Their gpu market share is tiny, no one uses their stuff when you look at the steam surveys.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

I could do this all day LOL

https://dolphin-emu.org/

that poorly emulate the old crappy 420p vanilla wii shit...not the wii U mate ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Fair enough, although AAA games are fairly inconsequencial to me when Indie games can look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

The-Witcher-3-9.jpg

Hang on a second. I remember you (I think it was you) nearly biting my head off a while back for saying that CDPR is an indie studio.

Nvidia has been doing a ton of diversification away from gaming and they have managed to get hardcore pc gamers to pay twice as much for their gpus vs a few years ago. AMD has new processors coming out. Their gpu market share is tiny, no one uses their stuff when you look at the steam surveys.

Booooo, red herring. 

I more than most hope AMD can bring prices down, but that has yet to bee seen. 

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Bullshit mate. You get way more performance for your dollar compared to a few years ago from both companies.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that poorly emulate the old crappy 420p vanilla wii shit...not the wii U mate ;)

I play games in 1440 with Dolphin, you even code Bro? LOL

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Hang on a second. I remember you (I think it was you) nearly biting my head off a while back for saying that CDPR is an indie studio.

I don't think it was me chief, CDPR is an indie dev. It's why it took them a fair while to release the games and why I wouldn't expect their Cyberpunk game until something like 2019 or 2020

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dolphin is actually really good for Wii and Gamecube games. It's the gold standard of emulators. I have an actual Wii but I play my games on Dolphin because I can run them at a really clean 1080p.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Bullshit mate. You get way more performance for your dollar compared to a few years ago from both companies.

No shit, you get way more performance per dollar on a PS4 vs a PS3 too. The unlocked midsize die cards used to cost $250 in 2011 with the GTX 560 Ti and now they're $600+ with the GTX 1080.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I don't think it was me chief, CDPR is an indie dev. It's why it took them a fair while to release the games and why I wouldn't expect their Cyberpunk game until something like 2019 or 2020

I found the thread via Google. It was Sakkura, not you.

You're safe this time.

Console: exclusive titles (selling points), very large online player base compared to PC in every game

PC: 60 Hz, 144 Hz goodness, upgradable

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

No shit, you get way more performance per dollar on a PS4 vs a PS3 too. The unlocked midsize die cards used to cost $250 in 2011 with the GTX 560 Ti and now they're $600+ with the GTX 1080.

This is like saying "You know kids, in my day you could buy a full meal, a paper and a bus ride back home for 50 cents!"

Please, the economy changes, everything goes up in price and tech is particularly vulnerable to this forces.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, App4that said:

You actually just proved my point. Gaming isn't AAA titles. That's what the console manufacturers want us to think, but it's not true. Having fun is the game industry. 

Yeah you bought two 980 Ti to play LOL

Just now, Misanthrope said:

This is like saying "You know kids, in my day you could buy a full meal, a paper and a bus ride back home for 50 cents!"

Please, the economy changes, everything goes up in price and tech is particularly vulnerable to this forces.

The consoles are significantly cheaper than they were last generation. GPU pricing has way outpaced inflation.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

I play games in 1440 with Dolphin, you even code Bro? LOL

well...how would you play pikmin 3 or mario 3d world without consoles tho?! no nintendo consoles, no nintendo games...

thing is if you think only pc is good you're not a gamer, you're a tech enthusiast and PC gamer...i would say a fallout 4 player and a tech enthusiast is what you are...i'm a GAMER...i buy consoles as well for their exclusives i want to play and i love it too..

what about the games we grew up playing then?! sega master system, super nintendo, genesis, playstation 1, N64...what about our first drinking nights with friends playing goldeneye multiplayer on a 4 way split screen?! what if nothing of that ever existed?! PC gaming WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST without CONSOLE GAMING paving the way first...bro :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah you bought two 980 Ti to play LOL

EXACTLY! To play with. But the vast majority of my time is spent playing games that are a waste for their potential power. That's not a waste if the time I do use it are worth it to me.

But that's not my beef with consoles. My beef is exclusives. Games with one purpose in mind, not to entertain but to force hardware sales. I don't mind jumping through launcher hoops, but not allowing a platform access to a game is toxic. 

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The consoles are significantly cheaper than they were last generation.

Also significantly less capable at launch vs PC: I remember the PS3 and 360 launch they were way more competitive. In fact I remember the original xbox and PS2 launches as well and I remember that out of the box the consoles outmatched gaming PCs of those times when GPUs were just starting to become a commonplace requirement: I remember my fairly midrange card, a Geforce ti 200, was barely able to play Morrowind with major slowdows (we're talking under 20 FPS in Balmora) whereas the original xbox version looked as good and was way more fluid.

While PC gaming has being going up exponentially in quality the consoles in their attempts to keep their products below inflation have compromised quality fairly heavily this last gen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

well...how would you play pikmin 3 or mario 3d world without consoles tho?! no nintendo consoles, no nintendo games...

thing is if you think only pc is good you're not a gamer, you're a tech enthusiast and PC gamer...i would say a fallout 4 player and a tech enthusiast is what you are...i'm a GAMER...i buy consoles as well for their exclusives i want to play and i love it too..

what about the games we grew up playing then?! sega master system, super nintendo, genesis, playstation 1, N64...what about our first drinking nights with friends playing goldeneye multiplayer on a 4 way split screen?! what if nothing of that ever existed?! PC gaming WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST without CONSOLE GAMING paving the way first...bro :P

My goal isn't to get rid of consoles, that would make me a hypocrite since I own them. My goal is to bring them into the fray. Developers and console manufacturers can make money and not make it off of exclusives. look at Microsoft. They opted for the Play it Anywhere program and have sold more units than Sony since.