Are consoles actually as bad as most PC enthusiasts say?

Consoles are not bad. The biggest difference I can see is the framerate not the resolution. I overclocked my ultrawide monitor to 75Hertz, and it is very smooth. I can notice no stutter, unlike a console. A good friend of mine games only on a PS4, except when he visits to play Black Ops 3 with me. He has mentioned that the graphics and framerate is far superior than his PS4, and I can back this up as he brings his console for GTA5, as I am not willing to spend the $60 to get it on PC. I also attempted to play Black Ops 3 at a locked framerate of 30fps, and I nearly threw up. However, the worst thing about a console is the very low field of view, or FOV. Nonetheless, I am buying a PS4 this week so I can do a bit of gaming with my console friends. 

In the end, we are all gamers. I love to make fun of my console friends, and I love to be considered a member of the PC master race. However, members of both sides get way too much hate. Instead of hating each other, we should try to work together and hopefully someday we can all play together.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

Pretty sure they did a console killer build or something of the sort in the last few months, or maybe it was paul...or kyle... anyway it turned out that for the same price as a console you could build a pc that was on about the same level. The thing about PCs is that they're useful for more things than consoles, so putting more money into them isn't just about having a better gaming system. Consoles do have an easy plug and play experience...after all the patches get done lol. PCs tend to need a bit more work, especially if you're modding a game to the nines, the benefit, far superior gaming experiences are possible.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

This mainly started when the first xbox and playstation came out.

Just ignore atari vs nintendo, or n64 vs sega vs playstation. console wars were heated long before the xbox and ps2 (and gamecube)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

Pretty sure they did a console killer build or something of the sort in the last few months, or maybe it was paul...or kyle... anyway it turned out that for the same price as a console you could build a pc that was on about the same level. The thing about PCs is that they're useful for more things than consoles, so putting more money into them isn't just about having a better gaming system. Consoles do have an easy plug and play experience...after all the patches get done lol. PCs tend to need a bit more work, especially if you're modding a game to the nines, the benefit, far superior gaming experiences are possible.

Just ignore atari vs nintendo, or n64 vs sega vs playstation. console wars were heated long before the xbox and ps2 (and gamecube)

I don't play atari, nintendo, n64, or sega. Don't ask me, either way there has always been a war between all of them.

The geek himself.

PlayStation 1 was a beast... I used to play PS a lot in my childhood and playing some arcade type multiplayer games with friends can still be fun.

It's not that they are bad, but in many instances PC can be so much better.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

1 minute ago, Tam3n said:

PlayStation 1 was a beast... I used to play PS a lot in my childhood and playing some arcade type multiplayer games with friends can still be fun.

It's not that they are bad, but in many instances PC can be so much better.

that was the time when consoles were better at gaming than pcs

PC gaming is not only about higher FPS and prettier graphics, another point is flexibility:

you can use whatever input device you like, mouse + keyboard is always an option but you can also choose the gamepad YOU are comfy with (xbox gamepad, dualshock 4, steam controller, you name it) or if you wanna get serious, you can buy a top of the line steering wheel or flight stick with a dozen buttons and switches on it and take your racing/flight sim experience to a new level of imersion.

and you can even tweak or mod the heck out of the games themself - enhanced texture packs and player models and all that good stuff - won't happen on consoles ...

... unless the devs do it for an offical HD remaster of a game (wich you have to buy again no matter how many versions of the game you own already)

but all that is only interesting if you like to fiddle around with things - if you just want to sit down and play a game then any console or PC-turned-into-console (via steamOS or such) is about as good.

it depends on what kind of games you prefer and how much you care about doing things your way.

7 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

PlayStation 1 was a beast...

technically - not so much - the sega saturn and N64 had "superior" hardware but it was the GAMES and how they used the PS 1 hardware that tipped it over

1 hour ago, luegnicl said:

Most PC enthusiast I know say: Consoles are crap, consoles are cheap etc. How much of what PC enthusiasts say about consoles is actually true?

exclusive titles on PS4 will give many good modern PCs a run for it's money IMHO...optimisation for one hardware set can go a REALLY long way.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

exclusive titles on PS4 will give many good modern PCs a run for it's money IMHO...optimisation for one hardware set can go a REALLY long way.

But that makes it so that we can't see how the same title would be on a high end PC. So therefore, you're comparing something to nothing. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

57 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

Most PC enthusiast I know say: Consoles are crap, consoles are cheap etc. How much of what PC enthusiasts say about consoles is actually true?

Not much they usually exaggerate the points. Its not ussualy untill a few years after launch of a console does a PC become much cheaper option. Budget wise consoles are pretty competetive. and there typicall good enough for most.  But most PC gamers like to spend realy money not the $299/ $399 with controller included. which makes there PCs a lot better in almost every way.

I Personally find the biggest difference of Community and players.regardless of whats better price performance graphics wise.

Right now im big into Gears 4 which was a Get a copy on both for $60.00 PC multiplayer is dead and useless. Xbox is thriving guess which one i play it on i loose the 1440p decent graphics settings just because no one plays it on PC. this doesnt seem to be a problem console wise till year to years after a release of most games. PC games see to launch month later there done.  

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

But that makes it so that we can't see how the same title would be on a high end PC. So therefore, you're comparing something to nothing. 

you can compare with other games...for example, uncharted 4 on PS4 looks a lot better than far cry 4 on PC even with my 980ti at max settings 1440p

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The only real thing consoles have in their advantage  is that there is only 1 spec per genetation(untill sony desided lets f***over the original ps4 owners) and way better optimization, for the rest there isn't a whole lot of pros that stand out.

also the games tend to be 10or 20 euros more expensive on a release and resently the playstation store has also been a bitch to navigate with stutering for no reason other than them not beeing able to do a better job on the efficientcyside and the fact that the downloading any games rarely happens at the top speed of any internet connection.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, they are that bad. 

Just wait until you have kids then.

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're the person who just enjoys games, then no, consoles aren't terrible.

Based on experience as a parent they certainly prove themselves based on their simplistic interfaces that a young child can easily get to grips with. I used to dispose them but not anymore.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

The only reason I went full pc gaming was due to flexibility and being previously burned by both Sony and Microsoft (went through 2 ps3's and 3 360s which all died during their warranty periods and they claimed were my fault). I've been gaming on more or less the same rig for 4 years with the only upgrade being my GPU. I also like that I could play my games anywhere in the house (via streaming) or on the go on my laptop without having to buy another license, carrying a disc, or other issues that would normally have hampered me with a console. Also the price of games really pushed me in that direction along with infinite backwards compatibility. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Jokes aside, I believe that consoles (not in general, specifically the ps4 and xbone) currently don't offer a compelling value as a personal game system. They are less powerful than a similarly priced pc and the value is even lower when you consider the arbitrary internet fee and game licensing prices.

What PC are you going to build for $230 that can outdo a PS4? Also don't forget to throw in a great AAA game selling for full price (since mine came with Uncharted 4).

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

Just wait until you have kids then.

Based on experience as a parent they certainly prove themselves based on the simplistic interface that a young child can easily get to grips with. I used to dispose them but not anymore.

Chances are my kids older than you. 

Consoles used to be a great option. But they never adapted to a world with a internet. Pay to play online, proprietary stores, horrible storage. Consoles only exist to force people into buying them by holding games hostage, you call them exclusives. 

Consoles need to catch up, or die and let the rest of the industry move forward. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What PC are you going to build for $230 that can outdo a PS4? Also don't forget to throw in a great AAA game selling for full price (since mine came with Uncharted 4).

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

even wii U has amazing titles that you can't play elsewhere i have a high-end PC but still Pikmin 3 and Super Marios 3d World were both top notch SUPER fun games to play that i toroughly enjoyed and not many games on PC i have found to have that level of perfection and that good a gaming experience with...

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

even wii U has amazing titles that you can't play elsewhere i have a high-end PC but still Pikmin 3 and Super Marios 3d World were both top notch SUPER fun games to play that i toroughly enjoyed and not many games on PC i have found to have that level of perfection and that good a gaming experience with...

I could do this all day LOL

https://dolphin-emu.org/

Playing games at 30 fps is a huge downgrade compared to on my GTX 970 based system that plays everything at 60 fps high/ultra, but the PS4 still has a lot of exclusives I can't get on PC. I don't think I could go to console as a main gaming platform, especially now with the economy so shitty that you're not getting the really ambitious consoles like you did in the 360/PS3 generation. But buying one late in the generation to pick up both the hardware and the exclusives for bargain basement prices is a pretty good deal. The most expensive PS4 game I bought was Bloodborne at $18 (though I'll certainly get Red Dead Redemption 2 at launch for full price in the fall since there is no PC version announced).

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

In terms of value, i've spent less on my rig and games from last gen and this gen, than all of my friends spent on their current gen consoles + games + subscriptions. The problem I see if that when making these comparisons money wise, everyone looks at the short term. Long term, $60 games + subscriptions add up rather quickly.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

Chances are my kids older than you. 

My kids are very young and indeed once they learn how to read, write and coordinate themselves more proficiently then they will be ready for moving onto PCs.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

Consoles used to be a great option. But they never adapted to a world with a internet. Pay to play online, proprietary stores, horrible storage. Consoles only exist to force people into buying them by holding games hostage, you call them exclusives. 

Consoles need to catch up, or die and let the rest of the industry move forward. 

What you are describing is not synonymous with console games at all... It is exactly the same with PC games if not much worse these days; all of the DLC, the MMO corruption of pay 2 play, pay 2 win, one time onlys, lockboxes, dailies and worst of all quests. We do not in fact even own a single exclusive and the storage issues aren't that bad considering the specific users or the use cases in this particular context.

In conclusion I'd have to say that your points are completely moot.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.