How much do you guys make?

jasonwj322a
6 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

True. About the degree part does it matter when it comes to what school you came from? Things like a university or community ones. 

Yes, quite a bit. Smaller companies or start ups are quite willing to hire just about anybody that has their basic requirements and can demonstrate the skills they want. But those companies usually 1) Can't pay as much and 2) Are not as stable so spending time working for them is a gamble: you could help the company grow and be positioned for an awesome position down the line or you could be back to sending resumes within 5 or 6 months nobody knows.

The other type that's becoming common is just per project contracts: people implementing ERP systems for big companies usually are hired with a 3, 6 or 12 months contract to basically get the new system up and running and training employees on how to use it, etc. This is how I got my current position. However those can sometimes pick people from the implementation team to stay in more permanent, day to day positions.

Big companies however, can afford bigger salaries and tons of stability so they can afford to be well, elitistic as all fucking shit: You'd be competing about tons of Ivy league students (Or whatever is the non-us Equivalent of rich people universities) in those scenarios and they often only take the best of the best and unfortunately that means really expensive universities even if the people graduating are not inherently better qualified, there's just money to spare so they spend it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, jasonwj322a said:

Best wishes dude

And good luck to you ;)

1332647945856_8580274.png

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes, quite a bit. Smaller companies or start ups are quite willing to hire just about anybody that has their basic requirements and can demonstrate the skills they want. But those companies usually 1) Can't pay as much and 2) Are not as stable so spending time working for them is a gamble: you could help the company grow and be positioned for an awesome position down the line or you could be back to sending resumes within 5 or 6 months nobody knows.

The other type that's becoming common is just per project contracts: people implementing ERP systems for big companies usually are hired with a 3, 6 or 12 months contract to basically get the new system up and running and training employees on how to use it, etc. This is how I got my current position. However those can sometimes pick people from the implementation team to stay in more permanent, day to day positions.

Big companies however, can afford bigger salaries and tons of stability so they can afford to be well, elitistic as all fucking shit: You'd be competing about tons of Ivy league students in those scenarios and they often only take the best of the best and unfortunately that means really expensive universities even if the people graduating are not inherently better qualified, there's just money to spare so they spend it.

So my dream of working at Microsoft is probably done for...... I really hope I can make it but competing with people with phd/master degrees from top of the line univeesities just makes my chance close to none. 

Really not fair. Its been my dream for years. Yet people barely needs to try and gets it.

As technical support engineer about $7000 USD a year until I'm off probation and get a contact.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Nothing, but I'm going weekend-job (cuz student, so I'll only work on a Saturday) hunting next week, cuz of my growing tech-appetites.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

9 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

So my dream of working at Microsoft is probably done for...... I really hope I can make it but competing with people with phd/master degrees from top of the line univeesities just makes my chance close to none. 

Really not fair. Its been my dream for years. Yet people barely needs to try and gets it.

I worked for Microsoft indirectly for like 2 or 3 years. Microsoft actually outsources a ton of stuff they barely do anything themselves so you could eventually work for Microsoft, just probably not in Redmond.

Though even then Barnacules did work coding for Microsoft directly and also has no collegue degree. You just have to demonstrate your skills and such and get lucky but those things are possible even without a really fancy University title, it's just probably not gonna be a climb to the top of the corporate ladder deal though.

Remember that people going into a company cherry picked cause of their degree and experience usually climb up to administrative and management positions they don't stay at the entry level long.

-------

Current Rig

-------

30 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

I just quote everyone so I can ask you guys some questions. How did your high school/college go? Did you get good grades? I'm in 10th grade right now and I had a rough freshman year. Ill try my best for the next years of high school but would that be enough? Any advice for me? I really want to have a decent future ahead of me.

I was better than average both high school and what would be college level in US. In here its not about what grades you get overall. I mean it does help, but you want better grades on subjects you want to use in future. Like for me it was important to be good in math, geography and english. I liked history too, but I'm really bad remembering dates and years.

5 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

You know, there are more jobs in marketing & sales, HR, design etc. You don't need to be into programming and such to get job in company you adore. Just go for the things you are good at and work with those skills until you have something to offer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I worked for Microsoft indirectly for like 2 or 3 years. Microsoft actually outsources a ton of stuff they barely do anything themselves so you could eventually work for Microsoft, just probably not in Redmond.

Though even then Barnacules did work coding for Microsoft directly and also has no collegue degree. You just have to demonstrate your skills and such and get lucky but those things are possible even without a really fancy University title, it's just probably not gonna be a climb to the top of the corporate ladder though.

Remember that people going into a company cherry picked cause of their degree and experience usually climb up to administrative and management positions they don't stay at the entry level long.

Living in Seattle but not being able to work at Redmond...lol it really drives me nuts. I'll  give my best effort for last two years of high school.Going to have to stop focusing on other things.

35 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

I just quote everyone so I can ask you guys some questions. How did your high school/college go? Did you get good grades? I'm in 10th grade right now and I had a rough freshman year. Ill try my best for the next years of high school but would that be enough? Any advice for me? I really want to have a decent future ahead of me.

I was a C student in high school and a C student in college.  Mainly from not working very hard at school, and not taking it seriously.

It hasn't hurt me career wise but it did hinder any ability to get a scholarship.  Since i paid out of pocket for school i ended up spending a lot of money i could of otherwise saved.

Take my case with a grain of salt cause my career isn't the sort that checks your grades, but does check to see if i got the schooling i claimed i have.

More competitive fields will go into nitty gritty detail regarding the type of grades you got. 

20 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I was better than average both high school and what would be college level in US. In here its not about what grades you get overall. I mean it does help, but you want better grades on subjects you want to use in future. Like for me it was important to be good in math, geography and english. I liked history too, but I'm really bad remembering dates and years.

You know, there are more jobs in marketing & sales, HR, design etc. You don't need to be into programming and such to get job in company you adore. Just go for the things you are good at and work with those skills until you have something to offer.

I understand but my passion is tech. I really dont see myself working in marketing and other subjects. I guess I could do design but I dont have the burning passion I have for things like programming and mechanical engineering.

I made eggs into potatoes.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I had my fair share of issues in HS, but still graduated with a couple science department awards and a 3.2gpa. If I had tried to gun for a top tier university directly out of highschool I pretty much would not have made it, what so ever. My gpa would have been too low. So, I took the slightly longer route and went to a Community College to complete my GE and get an Associates degree, which has made transferring into a "top" tier university in my area far, far easier. For the route I went, so long as I did well in my Community College courses (Which really isn't that hard) and had some extra curricular to show for it, then the university I applied to didn't even really bother to check up my grades from HS, they just checked where I graduated and what year.

I'm not sure where you live, and I'm afraid I severely lack knowledge of school systems outside of the US & Germany, but if you are within the US, then the community college route to getting an AA coupled with being able to grimace through a student loan will get you were you want to go pretty much. No ivy league obviously, unless you really... REALLY apply yourself , and are ready for 40 years of paying off a loan lol...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Okidoki, I've cleaned out some of the more pointless arguing.

Please keep in mind that depending on where your'e from and your personality, this question is completely harmless to some and rather loaded for others (as we've seen). We're going to keep this open, but please keep it respectful. You can't handle it... just leave the thread alone and move on. 

Thanks.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I make $12.30/h right now but its only part time so only a couple hundred a month. Unfortunately bills and me always being hungry really adds up :(

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

A student. I make around $300/month from YouTube and maybe another $100 or so building computers on the side.

So $400 (ish) a month. Probably a bit less than that as of late simply because I've been busy with school and haven't uploaded & taken computer orders as much as I used to.

It's enough for me. College has really taught me to be careful with my money and budget properly. I'm hoping to earn an internship or research job this summer and rack up some more savings to study overseas.

What's your YT channel? 

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you seen the finished film?

Nope.  For security reasons WB wouldn't loan our office a DCP for screening in our theater.  So I've only seen the bits and pieces of the specific shots that I worked on or that those around me worked on. (This is how it works for most films I work on basically) I'll see it maybe next weekend once the big rush is over.

I earn around $3350/month. Pretty decent.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

10 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

So my dream of working at Microsoft is probably done for......

I want to put this out there; Don't worry and fixate on working at your 'Dream Employer' because that's really limiting.  If you asked me in high school, where I'd want to work, I'd say Industrial Light & Magic.  If you asked any of the CG artists, most would say 'Pixar'.  There are a LOT of places you can work and do exactly want you want to do, even if the sign on the side of the building isn't the 'Big Brand Name' that you idolized when younger.

So my dream of working at Microsoft is probably done for......

I want to put this out there; Don't worry and fixate on working at your 'Dream Employer' because that's really limiting.  If you asked me in high school, where I'd want to work, I'd say Industrial Light & Magic.  If you asked any of the CG artists, most would say 'Pixar'.  There are a LOT of places you can work and do exactly want you want to do, even if the sign on the side of the building isn't the 'Big Brand Name' that you idolized when younger.

Living in Seattle but not being able to work at Redmond...lol it really drives me nuts. I'll  give my best effort for last two years of high school.Going to have to stop focusing on other things.

I'm living on the eastside...at least you'll have the 15 dollar minimum wage soon....

I make $8.31 an hour but it will become $9.30 and hour on January 1st due to new constitution stuff in my state 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

10 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is a good point. @jasonwj322a, your "Dream Job" might end up being at a Company you've never even heard of before.

I'm basically working my dream job right now and it's a friggin Public Library (But it's awesome, and we just got a Vive, so hey).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I failed and dropped out of high school. Ive not had any education/qualifications since I was 15.

Within 18 months of dropping out I got a proper job to start my career. You'll be fine don't sweat it.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

On 11/19/2016 at 8:54 AM, treeroy said:

I failed and dropped out of high school. Ive not had any education/qualifications since I was 15.

Within 18 months of dropping out I got a proper job to start my career. You'll be fine don't sweat it.

On 11/19/2016 at 6:12 AM, dalekphalm said:

This is a good point. @jasonwj322a, your "Dream Job" might end up being at a Company you've never even heard of before.

I'm basically working my dream job right now and it's a friggin Public Library (But it's awesome, and we just got a Vive, so hey).

On 11/18/2016 at 8:05 PM, AshleyAshes said:

On 11/18/2016 at 2:34 PM, ONOTech said:

A student. I make around $300/month from YouTube and maybe another $100 or so building computers on the side.

So $400 (ish) a month. Probably about half that as of late simply because I've been busy with school and haven't uploaded & taken computer orders as much as I used to.

It's enough for me. College has really taught me to be careful with my money and budget properly. I'm hoping to earn an internship or research job this summer and rack up some more savings to study overseas.

My advice is take your grades seriously - always try your best, but remember that colleges look at you holistically. If you have a passion or interest, pursue it indefinitely. A university would much rather take a 3.0 student that codes video games and helps in their high school's STEM program at school than a 4.0 robot that does nothing but study all day.

Thanks for the advices! I think I'll start taking  high school seriously. I'll probably start to learn to code to up my chances in the future. Again thanks!