How much do you guys make?

jasonwj322a
Just now, Atmos said:

Im the majority owner of a gym in my area that I decided to purchase with another associate. We have nearly no competition in our area, and are the soul distributer for some popular product from our internal store.

Making good dosh and helping bros getting swole. I like it.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

5 hours ago, treeroy said:

of course it is ridiculous however, this forum is about expensive hardware that most people can't afford so it will attract some rich people (and some people who like to show off by making stuff up...!)

Just cause someone has expensive toys doesn't mean they are rich or have a nice income.

Some people have different priorities and while everything else is crumbling around them they still spend money on "nice" things.  Ever see a piece of crap car with really expensive rims, Or a brand new escalade parked in front of some roach motel. Stuff like that.

Further some folks may have a modest income but they live at home and effectively have zero bills.  Allowing them to devote their money toward toys instead of necessities. 

4 hours ago, Atmos said:

I've worked in retail before, I've seen some markups for products, but god damn. They throw together that stuff for like 7$, then turn around and sell it to us distributors for 70$, and we turn right around and sell it for 85-100$ depending on demand. Its a rip off, but so many people are hooked on that brand-name stuff that it doesnt matter. :l

Damn that's even more of a markup than the Soda at a movie theater.  A large soda typically costs the theater about .25 cents.  Yet they will sell it for like 10 bucks.  

Just now, Thunderpup said:

Just cause someone has expensive toys doesn't mean they are rich or have a nice income.

Some people have different priorities and while everything else is crumbling around them they still spend money on "nice" things.  Ever see a piece of crap car with really expensive rims, Or a brand new escalade parked in front of some roach motel. Stuff like that.

Further some folks may have a modest income but they live at home and effectively have zero bills.  Allowing them to devote their money toward toys instead of necessities.   

I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying that when you are dealing with expensive items you will have more people who are rich.

e.g., I earn an average income but I have a nice car that I spend a lot of money on, because I choose to dedicate a lot of my modest income to it. But if you looked at other people with nice cars they would probably have a lot more money than me.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

about 20K a year tutoring middle schoolers

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

As much as most other people: more than I need, but less than I'd like :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

enough

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just over 100k

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

About $60 000 CAD/year.  Finished college a little over two years ago now.

But the real pay is that now that the film is released, I can tell people that I worked on the latest Harry Potter movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

For starters, some of you get too overboard when money comes to talks. Many seem to have location and currency marked as US. Which makes it kinda obvious. Coming from country which is build on capitalism, if you don't earn 6 figures a year, you are poor. Seriously. World isn't that black and white.

I'm student which means I can't do full-time job and study at the same time. So for the past 2 years I've been doing occasional work and now part-time for very nice company. Hourly is €10.5 plus nighttime and other extras. And since this is nation build on common well being and high taxing, I live in student apartment and receive assist on my rent. Uni license is under €100/y. At the moment I break about even monthly. But I have some savings, stocks and bonds. Selling those when I'm going low or when they are up much gives boost now and then. Plus tax returns and doing bit extra work summertime etc.

I'm bit worried going forward. Since I'm partially disabled and can't have drivers license, getting work for my profession will be hard. Meaning 2-4 years more studying and living on low budget.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

35 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

But the real pay is that now that the film is released, I can tell people that I worked on the latest Harry Potter movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

I saw it in an Advanced Screening on Wednesday - what role did you have in the creation of the movie? Digital Effects?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I saw it in an Advanced Screening on Wednesday - what role did you have in the creation of the movie? Digital Effects?

Stereo conversion.  I did a lot of the obsurious shots inside the case.  If you saw it in 2D, I didn't touch that version.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Stereo conversion.  I did a lot of the obsurious shots inside the case.  If you saw it in 2D, I didn't touch that version.

I did indeed see the 2D version (There wasn't a choice - Volkswagen did an Advanced Screening in Guelph and it was only offered in 2D). Sweet! I'll have to check out the 3D version and see how the Obsurious looks in 3D.

Have you seen the finished film?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 hours ago, techswede said:

Around $2k a month. Depending on how much i work/ if i was sick/ overtime etc etc.

I'm a warehouse worker and handle boxes for 8 hours a day. 5 days per week. 

21 hours ago, Speakerator said:

I just got my masters degree in Business Information Technology and startet working as a developer (broadly defined, I do more than just coding :P) at a major software company and I roughly make 50k € a year. For Germany, it's a pretty solid starting salary, not top of the line but somewhere a bit above average. It'll pay the bills :D

21 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Remember that cost of living is very different, i.e. I make about 750 USD after tax per month which would put me in the poverty line in the US but considering everything is at least double as expensive at least but usually more in the US (depending on the city) it's the equivalent of around 2000 USD all things considered.

7 hours ago, Atmos said:

Depending on time of season I pull in anywhere from 65k-135k/yr after taxes.

After University I'll probably be pulling in about 200k/yr after taxes, but that's still quite some years away.

7 hours ago, treeroy said:

I work in a call centre full time and earn £21,000 which would be the equivalent of about $30,000 salary in the US. (though not by todays exchange rates)

£1300 take home a month.

5 hours ago, Jeffy said:

enough to keep me going!

2 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

What an arrogant little prick... Next time read the whole thread before attempting on spewing your annoying putrid waste around. Since you are old here and relatively immature which is ironic, i can forgive you for missing the point and subtlety of the hand this time.

You really shouldn't make such dumb assumptions.

2 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

I make enough to support my habits, and pay the bills.  Good stuff this money is. 

1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

Damn that's even more of a markup than the Soda at a movie theater.  A large soda typically costs the theater about .25 cents.  Yet they will sell it for like 10 bucks.  

1 hour ago, UberGamerKing said:

about 20K a year tutoring middle schoolers

1 hour ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

As much as most other people: more than I need, but less than I'd like :P

41 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

20 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

For starters, some of you get too overboard when money comes to talks. Many seem to have location and currency marked as US. Which makes it kinda obvious. Coming from country which is build on capitalism, if you don't earn 6 figures a year, you are poor. Seriously. World isn't that black and white.

I'm student which means I can't do full-time job and study at the same time. So for the past 2 years I've been doing occasional work and now part-time for very nice company. Hourly is €10.5 plus nighttime and other extras. And since this is nation build on common well being and high taxing, I live in student apartment and receive assist on my rent. Uni license is under €100/y. At the moment I break about even monthly. But I have some savings, stocks and bonds. Selling those when I'm going low or when they are up much gives boost now and then. Plus tax returns and doing bit extra work summertime etc.

I'm bit worried going forward. Since I'm partially disabled and can't have drivers license, getting work for my profession will be hard. Meaning 2-4 years more studying and living on low budget.

I just quote everyone so I can ask you guys some questions. How did your high school/college go? Did you get good grades? I'm in 10th grade right now and I had a rough freshman year. Ill try my best for the next years of high school but would that be enough? Any advice for me? I really want to have a decent future ahead of me.

Just now, jasonwj322a said:

I just quote everyone so I can ask you guys some questions. How did your high school/college go? Did you get good grades? I'm in 10th grade right now and I had a rough freshman year. Ill try my best for the next years of high school but would that be enough? Any advice for me? I really want to have a decent future ahead of me.

I'll just get this out of the way now.

College doesn't give a shit about your grades until you hit Grade 12. If you're in a really competitive program in College, they may also look at Grade 11.

Some Colleges will look at your overall GPA, but even in that case, as long as you get good grades in your last 2 years of High School, you'll be fine.

Aim for high 70's and low 80's at minimum, if you want to get into a decent school. The odd low mark won't matter, as long as it's in a class not related to the program you want to take in College.

Had a shit time in school. did years 1-9 and got out with ok grades. Then went on to study to become a mechanic specializing in bodywork. 

School shut down the program and i dropped out and did other things. 

Try to hang in there and see if the coming years get better^^ Higher education isn't mandatory to get by. But it makes it a whole lot easier when you can get a well paying job.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll just get this out of the way now.

College doesn't give a shit about your grades until you hit Grade 12. If you're in a really competitive program in College, they may also look at Grade 11.

Some Colleges will look at your overall GPA, but even in that case, as long as you get good grades in your last 2 years of High School, you'll be fine.

Aim for high 70's and low 80's at minimum, if you want to get into a decent school. The odd low mark won't matter, as long as it's in a class not related to the program you want to take in College.

Thats really comforting to hear. Though im still not sure, conselours and other people on forums keep on telling people that all of high school matters, maybe not freshman. i hope you're right though 

Thats really comforting to hear. Though im still not sure, conselours and other people on forums keep on telling people that all of high school matters, maybe not freshman. i hope you're right though 

Eh it depends on what Colleges you want to go to. University in Canada is also a little different in the entry requirements, sometimes being more strict, other times being less, so that difference may matter to you as well.

If you want to get into your local State University, for example, they likely aren't going to care about your Freshman year grades. Frankly, though, you should talk to a College Rep about the entry requirements if you're concerned. The entry requirements for each College is different, and in each College, the entry requirements for each program are different again.

Do you even know what you want to study, or where?

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

Had a shit time in school. did years 1-9 and got out with ok grades. Then went on to study to become a mechanic specializing in bodywork. 

School shut down the program and i dropped out and did other things. 

Try to hang in there and see if the coming years get better^^ Higher education isn't mandatory to get by. But it makes it a whole lot easier when you can get a well paying job.

Yea I understand the last part. It really is whole lot easier to get a higher paying job with better education. I know college is what matters but high school is the pass to college. Just afriad that I wouldnt be able to get into a university.

11 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

To clarify: after seeing the posts from people I think I still underestimated what I make vs what I spend: people that have similar salaries on the US to what I estimated make 3 times less money than I here in Mexico doing entry level jobs, restaurant jobs, etc.

But to answer your question: I wasn't the best of students. I mostly struggled with depression and thus I switched majors quite a bit until I landed on a technical collegue and did a 3 year degree on computer systems.

At first there was no jobs for me on this area at all (Since most places wanted to hire Engineers straight out of college instead of someone like me without a higher degree) so I started taking entry level jobs completely unrelated to what I studied at first: Customer Service support at a call center. Since I'm close to fully billingual, that stuff was paid relatively ok (about what I could make doing IT stuff as a first timer for example) and well, it fucking sucked.

But alas I kept at it for several years, place to place until one place was brand new so I got a quick promotion, then another one, then I took a bit of initiative and sold my boss at the time on the idea of coding an Access database tool to replace the crap Excel worksheets we where working with doing call monitoring (listening to calls then scoring agents according to client and internal policies and providing feedback) He said yes and after 2 very stressfull weeks I delivered a working prototype and he offered me a position doing Data Analysis instead. From then I got another promotion, then I switched jobs and landed on another Business Intelligence position, then another one, then I had to take a year on another shitty help desk position but after that I landed my current job in Master Data Management (Fancy words for tons of Excel and PL/SQL query thinkering)

So my experience has been that a degree can get your foot on the door, but working your way up and actually demonstrating practical knowledge can work too. If I had done both I'd probably be a lot richer now but considering my personal struggles (The aforementioned depression, a divorce, health issues, etc.) I think I have managed ok even without having proper higher education under my belt.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Eh it depends on what Colleges you want to go to. University in Canada is also a little different in the entry requirements, sometimes being more strict, other times being less, so that difference may matter to you as well.

If you want to get into your local State University, for example, they likely aren't going to care about your Freshman year grades. Frankly, though, you should talk to a College Rep about the entry requirements if you're concerned. The entry requirements for each College is different, and in each College, the entry requirements for each program are different again.

Do you even know what you want to study, or where?

I dont reallt know yet. I live in Seattle so maybe University of Washington? I mean as a technology enthusiastic, MIT is the dream but thats probably out of reach...... I was born in canada so I could probably go to schools up in Vancouver. About what I want to study in, probably will be some thing related to technology. 

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

To clarify: after seeing the posts from people I think I still underestimated what I make vs what I spend: people that have similar salaries on the US to what I estimated make 3 times less money than I here in Mexico doing entry level jobs, restaurant jobs, etc.

But to answer your question: I wasn't the best of students. I mostly struggled with depression and thus I switched majors quite a bit until I landed on a technical collegue and did a 3 year degree on computer systems.

At first there was no jobs for me on this area at all (Since most places wanted to hire Engineers straight out of college instead of someone like me without a higher degree) so I started taking entry level jobs completely unrelated to what I studied at first: Customer Service support at a call center. Since I'm close to fully billingual, that stuff was paid relatively ok (about what I could make doing IT stuff as a first timer for example) and well, it fucking sucked.

But alas I kept at it for several years, place to place until one place was brand new so I got a quick promotion, then another one, then I took a bit of initiative and sold my boss at the time on the idea of coding an Access database tool to replace the crap Excel worksheets we where working with doing call monitoring (listening to calls then scoring agents according to client and internal policies and providing feedback) He said yes and after 2 very stressfull weeks I delivered a working prototype and he offered me a position doing Data Analysis instead. From then I got another promotion, then I switched jobs and landed on another Business Intelligence position, then another one, then I had to take a year on another shitty help desk position but after that I landed my current job in Master Data Management (Fancy work for tons of Excel and PL/SQL query thinkering)

So my experience has been that a degree can get your foot on the door, but working your way up and actually demonstrating practical knowledge can work too. If I had done both I'd probably be a lot richer now but considering my personal struggles (The aforementioned depression, a divorce, health issues, etc.) I think I have managed ok even without having proper higher education under my belt.

True. About the degree part does it matter when it comes to what school you came from? Things like a university or community ones. 

Yea I understand the last part. It really is whole lot easier to get a higher paying job with better education. I know college is what matters but high school is the pass to college. Just afriad that I wouldnt be able to get into a university.

Best i can say is to give it a go.

Depending on where you live there might be more chances later in life to get into uni.

I'm only working for a while to take care of some stuff in my life before i apply to a university. 

But then again. Getting back into school after being out in real life for a while kind of sucks ass. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Best i can say is to give it a go.

Depending on where you live there might be more chances later in life to get into uni.

I'm only working for a while to take care of some stuff in my life before i apply to a university. 

But then again. Getting back into school after being out in real life for a while kind of sucks ass. 

Best wishes dude