Phill Schiller explains why MacBook Pros don't have a 32GB RAM option

AlTech
35 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that goes for them all, I don't think that Razer knows how to make a laptop. Nah the MB is better build, thermal throttles less and have pretty good QC.

Does Razer know how to make anything good? Maybe we should only rely on them for backpacks from now on xD

16 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Does Razer know how to make anything good? Maybe we should only rely on them for backpacks from now on xD

well their mech gamepad was good and they make some good mousepads, their mice are fine, if you get one that works 100% fine.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

The new MBP will thermal throttle, that I am sure of, they made them thinner and that doesn't help the cooling, unless they didn't have to make the cooling system smaller.

Well the Dell XPS 13 is thinner than the macbook pro with both having similar hardware so with the Dell XPS 13 being at around 90C underload, it's possible for Apple to be able to  cool the package down to 80-85C with the 6 to (-0.1)mm of extra thickness :P (not mentioning the width or length)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well the Dell XPS 13 is thinner than the macbook pro with both having similar hardware so with the Dell XPS 13 being at around 90C underload, it's possible for Apple to be able to  cool the package down to 80-85C with the 6 to (-0.1)mm of extra thickness :P (not mentioning the width or length)

The normal one without iris, is fine for the most part, the one with iris can be made to run fairly cool, just with some extra cooling pads. Thickness is also not everything, you have to look at the cooling system and how well it can get air and we all know that macbooks cannot get that much air.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

The normal one without iris, is fine for the most part, the one with iris can be made to run fairly cool, just with some extra cooling pads. Thickness is also not everything, you have to look at the cooling system and how well it can get air and we all know that macbooks cannot get that much air.

But thickness tells you the possible space there is for ports, battery size, motherboard size, cooling system size ect. where there's more volume for the Macbook Pro compared to something kinda comparable like the dell XPS 13 so...it's possible for it to not overheat :P 

And then there's my laptop, 30watt dGPU (840m) and a 15 watt CPU (i7 4500U), has a single heatpipe touching the 2 dies and then the smallest heatsink ever (smaller than the one in my old 13 inch laptop) at 65C max for the CPU and GPU underload while being whisper quiet...well dun asus for making something that's not crap :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

But thickness tells you the possible space there is for ports, battery size, motherboard size, cooling system size ect. where there's more volume for the Macbook Pro compared to something kinda comparable like the dell XPS 13 so...it's possible for it to not overheat :P 

And then there's my laptop, 30watt dGPU (840m) and a 15 watt CPU (i7 4500U), has a single heatpipe touching the 2 dies and then the smallest heatsink ever (smaller than the one in my old 13 inch laptop) at 65C max for the CPU and GPU underload while being whisper quiet...well dun asus for making something that's not crap :P 

well the older macbooks had some thermal problems and I know from experience that apple aren't the best with thermal solutions. yes thickness tells you all of that, but apple is also battery and form factor/design over everything, but I did hear that they cut the battery by 30-40% or something crazy like that, I have not had that much time to look into it.

kek I have a NVS4200m  25-30w and a 35w CPU i7 2640m, in a 14 inch laptop, never seen it thermal throttle when it was in its prime, now after a long time it needs a repaste to not thermal throttle when I do 3D work, but I am lazy and I need to upgrade anyways, so not gonna repaste.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

well the older macbooks had some thermal problems and I know from experience that apple aren't the best with thermal solutions. yes thickness tells you all of that, but apple is also battery and form factor/design over everything, but I did hear that they cut the battery by 30-40% or something crazy like that, I have not had that much time to look into it.

kek I have a NVS4200m  25-30w and a 35w CPU i7 2640m, in a 14 inch laptop, never seen it thermal throttle when it was in its prime, now after a long time it needs a repaste to not thermal throttle when I do 3D work, but I am lazy and I need to upgrade anyways, so not gonna repaste.

The 13" is down from a 75whr to 55whr (50whr for the OLED variant) and the 15" is down to 76whr from 100whr. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The 13" is down from a 75whr to 55whr (50whr for the OLED variant) and the 15" is down to 76whr from 100whr. 

thank you. I think they fucked up with thinnes, because you loose so much battery

Just now, Dackzy said:

thank you. I think they fucked up with thinnes, because you loose so much battery

They're still rated at the same/better battery life. The 13" is still 10 hours (itunes playback is down from 12 to 10) and the 15" is up to 10 from 9. From my experience Apple's battery estimates are/were pretty conservative, so maybe now they're going to be less conservative...either that or the new macs are just noticeably more efficient. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

They're still rated at the same/better battery life. The 13" is still 10 hours (itunes playback is down from 12 to 10) and the 15" is up to 10 from 9. From my experience Apple's battery estimates are/were pretty conservative, so maybe now they're going to be less conservative...either that or the new macs are just noticeably more efficient. 

just imagine if they still had the bigger battery, then they could rival a T460s or maybe even a x260 in battery life.

what was it again? Computers dont Need more than 640k?

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

36 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

that is actually a wrongly used quote from bill gates that is out of the 90's I thought.

He actually said something in the direction of "for home computers there currently isn't much use to have more then x amount of memory."

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

that is actually a wrongly used quote from bill gates that is out of the 90's I thought.

He actually said something in the direction of "for home computers there currently isn't much use to have more then x amount of memory."

it was also the Limit of the 286 / 8088 if im renembering correctly

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

39 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

it was also the Limit of the 286 / 8088 if im renembering correctly

let's keep it at the fact that it's an old quote, which has been pulled out of context and outdated by now

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Why does it always seem as if Apple is innovating backwards each year ever since Steve Jobs died?

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Ignoring the valid points made above, in the context of early 80s computers that statement was accurate.

Remember 15 years ago when XP was king and having more than 3GB was pointless as XP couldn't address it anyway?

Things change and as software evolves its memory requirements also evolve. In 15 years time I'd wager 16GB will be the minimum (or the normal) and 32GB will be the recommended with the enthusiasts rocking 64/128GB pretty regularly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Sooo I was interested to go deeper in the Apple ecosystem, but there's something, that broke that - what happened with the I/O? I know, that type C is the future, but now if I buy any of the Pros I have to buy several dongles(Type C -> SD reader(or a second Type A dongle and a reader combo), Type C -> Type A, Type C -> HDMI/VGA(hate old projectors)). I thought - well, I want to travel around with my DSLR, take some photos, do some editing in a hotel or in the car(love my G751, but it's a huge and heavy beast) and in the meantime - use it for programming(App Store is a huge market, that continues to grow), but... well... I don't know - don't like the "spaghetti in the backpack" idea...

33 minutes ago, shymi said:

Sooo I was interested to go deeper in the Apple ecosystem, but there's something, that broke that - what happened with the I/O? I know, that type C is the future, but now if I buy any of the Pros I have to buy several dongles(Type C -> SD reader(or a second Type A dongle and a reader combo), Type C -> Type A, Type C -> HDMI/VGA(hate old projectors)). I thought - well, I want to travel around with my DSLR, take some photos, do some editing in a hotel or in the car(love my G751, but it's a huge and heavy beast) and in the meantime - use it for programming(App Store is a huge market, that continues to grow), but... well... I don't know - don't like the "spaghetti in the backpack" idea...

So true, compared to my current Macbookk, if i were to replace it with this one i'd need:

an Ethernet to type-C adaptor

a SD card reader to type-C

a HDMI to type-C adaptor

a......... and i just run out out of ports considering the last one must be used for charging

so no keyboard, no mouse, no stand cooler, no external hard drive (all things currently plugged to my macbook in addition to the ones above)

And since i love OSX i'm either screwed to use my macbook till it dies and by the time it does, hopefully, Apple may have pulled it's head out of Ive's butthole or i may find myself with no laptops and only rely on my gaming rig for my compute needs :(

sad really 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 30/10/2016 at 9:10 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Not everyone does just core business courses. 

I understand that. If you're doing stuff like cs  engineering or graphic design it's not enough.  But for most other majors and core/introductory classes,  an expensive laptop is not necessary for just taking notes,  writing essays,  accessing online course material etc, like in my case. 

It's because Apple doesn't allow its users to have more than it thinks they can handle. It's why they only get one mouse button. It's why their phones don't have a removable battery or SD card slot.

All of that is just too complex for the Apple consumer to handle.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's because Apple doesn't allow its users to have more than it thinks they can handle. It's why they only get one mouse button. It's why their phones don't have a removable battery or SD card slot.

The sad thing is that, this probably has some truth to it........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 10/31/2016 at 5:22 PM, suicidalfranco said:

So true, compared to my current Macbookk, if i were to replace it with this one i'd need:

an Ethernet to type-C adaptor

a SD card reader to type-C

a HDMI to type-C adaptor

a......... and i just run out out of ports considering the last one must be used for charging

so no keyboard, no mouse, no stand cooler, no external hard drive (all things currently plugged to my macbook in addition to the ones above)

As far as I remember MacBooks always had only two USB ports. There's a limit to exaggeration

Second, since all of them are Thunderbolt enabled, you actually only need one adapter with multiple ports.

On 10/31/2016 at 1:20 AM, Dackzy said:

well the older macbooks had some thermal problems and I know from experience that apple aren't the best with thermal solutions.

They are pretty good with coolers, look at the Mac Pro for example, one fan that does its job very well with minimal noise

The only MacBook I recall thermal throttling was the 2015 12" MacBook, because well, it had no fans and Intel did a poor job making their first gen M processors. But thermal throttling reports on a fan equipped MacBook have been less unless there was some kind of blockage for air circulation

Given how Apple actually talked about the cooling system, it's very likely that the cooling is pretty effective

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You do know that MacOS has had right click for ages right?......right?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 10/29/2016 at 9:28 PM, DrMacintosh said:

This makes a lot of sense. They did not want to compromise on their awesome battery life and to do that they had to cut back on the RAM a bit. 

Look at it this way, if you are a pro, and need more than 16GB of RAM to edit video, consider not buying a MacBook Pro? 

Don't want adapters? Don't buy a MacBook Pro. 

I love Apple, but I notice that the people that bash them the most are the ones that never have/intend to use/buy any of Apples products :/ 

Alright my Points on this 

1 This makes no sense This would literaly cause Close to no noticble difference on battery life.

2. If you need more then 16gb for video editing then you need a better computer then they offer this in 16gb is fine for 99% of people though the price premium of this thing 32gb should just be included Ram is so cheap nowdays 

3. im all for one standard port for everything 

4. yes I have no intrest in almost any apple product sometimes here and there they spark my intrest I Owned a 3G, 4 & 5 models of iphones   though apple does many things well they deserved to be bashed at times Especialy when you take price into consideration imo

52 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

As far as I remember MacBooks always had only two USB ports. There's a limit to exaggeration

Second, since all of them are Thunderbolt enabled, you actually only need one adapter with multiple ports.

i plug in the magsafe, i still have two USB ports available

i plug in the ethernet cable, i still have two USB ports available

i insert my WoW SD card, i still have two USB ports available

i plug in my PCIe dock, i still have two USB ports available 

i plug in my cooler pad, i now have one USB port available 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>