What was your first computer?

xserd

I remember my first build was when i built my friends pc and it had a 780 in it (he bought it when it first came out) It was so sexy and special

The year was 2015, the robots had just invaded, and...

I haven't built mine yet in reality, but I've been planning and scheming to get my hands on the dough for almost a year now.

My favorite memory will be when I arrive at the Super-Microcenter in my gold-plated lambo.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I remember when I first built my PC, I thought I had the worst cable management on earth. Now it's semi-decent :P

I must say, I redid my cable management maybe 3 times. It's damn clean now. (It took me 20+ minutes to load this topic after I posted it :\ )

From my first build? well nothing out of the ordinary happen whilst assembling it. in fact everything went perfect, absolutely no problem. As i had a whole year of experience assembling them computers, I used to work doing that so everything went normal. Connecting them cables and stuff. So, I was a happy leopard, I mean i just assembled my first gaming rig after all, so i felt good, so good that it lasted a whole saturday and full sunday. But by then the cosmos had grown tired of me, deciding to struck me with tragedy. I suppose i must of have done something truly awful to be targetted by the cosmos itself.

So!, in comes monday. After having a shower to prepare for work my brother ask me if he may use my computer, to which i reply "yes, yes you may" priding myself of such awesome stuff being before us, having done so i proceed doing whatever i was doing.

Mark this event at 7:00, by 7:10 i heard the most horrifying and familiar noise i've heard; exploding capacitors followed by a black out. I dash to my bedroom to find my brother's blank stare and the smell of burnt electronics engulfing me. just before work it all happend, a whole day of laments and sorrows followed. And that, that marked the experience of being an owner to me, as it would not be the last time my computer decides to fail.

But!. that was a long time ago and just a memory. it just makes things happening now all the sweeter.

I remember mine. I managed I slice my fingers numerous times and download drivers off CDs because I was a noob. Good times good times

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

So I finished my first build today and as soon as windows 8.1 was installed my wifi started acting up (on all devices in our house, I know it's not related). Really bummed out that I don't have too much I can do with her right now. I'm downloading Bioshock infinite in 5 minute bursts. I did a benchmark on Unigine Valley. Got a 3014 without any overclocking. She's a beautiful White Enthoo Primo. Called her STORMTROOPER

I'm just wondering what memories you guys have from your first builds.

I'll probably open a build log once I've taken a couple more nice pics of her.

I wasn't even sleeping the night before i got the last parts.

I missed the delivery guy on friday and had to wait till monday to go to the post office to pick the package up.

Was there first at 8 in the morning xD

Rushed home, got everything out, took a picture of all parts on table, was planning to do a buildlog, but then got into it soo much i forgot to take any photos during building it :D

and i was in a hury coz i had to go to work in a couple of hours.

had some problems, maybe i'll make a buildlog anyway and talk about the problems i had building it

but i got everything together and was super nervous even when i flipped the switch on PSU :D

but booted up in 1st try, everything was working perfectly and I was melting of joy

tomorrow it's gonna be 1 week old, maybe i'll treat it with something special :D

after i came from work i slapped win 8.1 on it and d/l drivers and was diving in win 8.1 openmindedly

but i had the same problems with wi-fi, was annoying as hell http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/148817-oops-google-chrome-could-not-find/#entry1988260

but even solved, i couldn't bare the win 8.1 so i installed win 7 and had no problems with wi-fi at all, everything worked perfectfrom start.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Mine was delayed due to shipping and was built early Jan. of this fine year. I remember, I was extremely sick and had no sleep, but I pushed on. I managed to screw it up in my dillusion and ended with a dented cap and no booting. I let it sit for a day and continued the next. Everything was maticulously tested until I got that first boot. Man, I almost passed out on the floor I was so happy. I was jumpy as a fool. I installed 7 that night and went on to play games with my glorious 1080p and PhysX (particularly warframe, which I revere as the demo of PhysX particles).

Did my first build this year, took me longer than I though, but probably because I was a nervous wreak while doing it. So happy I did though, I was a console kid, but then I grew up into a PC man, lol.

im only about 4 parts deep in collecting what i need to build what i want. i already have the dual 240 radiators, a hand full of fans, and bunch of tubing....

i was really hopeing to buy the HAF stacker that linus just posted for sale but someone scooped it up to quick. No biggie since its actually on sale at newegg($200) after discount and 30 bucks worth of rebate cards. im hoping to run it as a water cooled gaming system bottom with a stand alone nas on top.

not sure what exactly the parts inside will end up being since it may be a while before i get the funds to drop on them, Z87 may be old news by then haha.

basicaly what i am saying is..... my first build memories are still mostly pipedreams rofl.

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

& Still is my legendary amd sempron 145 single core!!! 

Details separate people.

This was the first pc I ever built for myself. Back in 2002. My friends called it the green power Ranger.

I cant remember the specs

post-81800-0-66219700-1400434050.jpg

post-81800-0-66219700-1400434050.jpg

My first pc was back in 2003.

Specs:

Intel pentium dual core @1.8ghz or @2.8ghz

ATI radeon 9200 with red cpb (!!)

80GB hard drive

CD-rom 

And some other stuff which i can't remember.It was pretty expensive though.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

& Still is my legendary amd sempron 145 single core!!! 

Mine's more legendary. Almost broke 5GHz with stock cooling. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The one I'm using lol, I'm relativly new to PC gaming (2 years)

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

My first pc was back in 2003.

Specs:

Intel pentium dual core @1.8ghz or @2.8ghz

ATI radeon 9200 with red cpb (!!)

80GB hard drive

CD-rom 

And some other stuff which i can't remember.It was pretty expensive though.

Are you sure the Pentium Dual Core was around back in '03? I'm pretty sure it was just the Pentium 4.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

some pentium 1 I forgot the brand.

but first build would be a pentium 2. then I bought a compaq pentium 2 since it had better specs than the one I built when I was a kid.

Live your life like a dream.

My first PC was a custom built 20MHz 486, with 640K RAM, in 1989 I think.. All I remember was that it could run Wolf 3D and that was a big deal at the time.. I was 3 years old and all I cared about was games.. I remember the old shareware apps like Banner and Print Shop Deluxe (if I remember correctly).. When Windows 3.1 came out it was a big deal!

Although I also had a Pentium 166MHz (used to have one of those TURBO toggle switches, wonder what that was for!) CPU based computer, then a Pentium 3 800MHz with an Asus Vanta 2000, which I later upgraded to a Riva TNT 2 M64 and 256MB SDRAM after that but first computer I built on my own was with an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, Asus A7N266-VM with onboard Geforce 2 MX (H/W TnL was required by some games and I needed the Geforce 2 MX), 512MB DDR RAM, 80GB Hard drive, 48x CDRW.

Fairly sure the first one I used was at my grandparents house it was a custom built one running Win 95, and it had a dot matrix printer that shit was hilarious. The first one are family had I think was a Compaq with Win XP and a pentium 4 processor, I played the shit out of "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" anyone remember those games

Are you sure the Pentium Dual Core was around back in '03? I'm pretty sure it was just the Pentium 4.

Verified by my brother. It was just a pentium 3 :D

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Fairly sure the first one I used was at my grandparents house it was a custom built one running Win 95, and it had a dot matrix printer that shit was hilarious. The first one are family had I think was a Compaq with Win XP and a pentium 4 processor, I played the shit out of "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" anyone remember those games

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego was the best game ever!!

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego was the best game ever!!

OMFG!! I STILL HAZ THE GAME!!

although my brother took it from me.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Dell Dimension 3000 with a 3ghz P4HT, 512mb of DDR333, and onboard graphics

03463bb0b0a74cf9a24f4d06a8a19b13.jpg

From memory, mine was back in 1999 or 2000, it was a Pentium 3 600mhz, and I think it had like 128mb RAM, and a 16Gig hdd. It then got upgraded to 256MB RAM a little while later. Dam it was fast :lol:

My 1st had 12MHz CPU, had windows 3.1 and dos. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series