What was your first computer?

xserd

MY first computer would be an Asus N55SF laptop bought in 2011

i7 2630QM, GT555M, 8GB DDR3 1333, 640GB HDD (later swapped to 240GB SSD around 2014 or so)

My first legit experience with a PC is Pentium 4, ??? RAM (possibly 256MB), 40GB PATA HDD (later expanded with another 80GB), 3D Prophet 4500 64MB GPU, I remember owning it since ~2001 up until 2009

2009 onward it was a Core 2 Duo machine with 2GB RAM, using the PATA Drives and no GPU up until I got my laptop

2016 I built Desky, originally it was an i5 6600, GTX 970, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD, and upgraded it a lot since

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

HP Pavilion 8570C

P3 450

256mb

Asus mobo

VoodooII 16mb 

20GB Bigfoot

I later upgraded it a few times. Had a few ATi cards, more ram, more disk space, etc..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

First that I built diy was a 486 dlc 50mhz cyrix with an add on math co-processor. 4mb of ram, 20mb mb hdd and some isa cga display card. It was a bbs monster. L. O. R. D and hack'n'slash rocked. 

I had a Spectre x360(Was my mom's but I used it)

i7 7500u

Intel HD 620 iGPU

16GB RAM

512GB Nvme

4K 60Hz Screen

I just got my new laptop a week ago(Asus ROG Strix G15)

Ryzen 7 5800H

RTX 3050ti

16GB Ram

1TB Nvme

1080p 144Hz Screen

my family pc was my first pc i used windows 95 and duke nukem was my first game. probably a rage pro and later on and voodoo 2. we later got an 4gb hdd and oh man we didnt have to fight over what game was installed or what music was download...

i then spent my life saving on a p4 system for $800 can and probably had windows 2000 or xp on it dont remember.  then my dad go his pc and athlong 64 and i would get his hammy down parts for free.

pic of the case i moded add an window, and red cold cathode, and power led mod. and painted it. it was my dads case and i trade him my case and $100 for it because i liked to mod. my dad moded an off, 5v,7,12v switch to this metal 120mm fan that he dose not remember were he got this is when 80mm fan was still the norm. then he got an Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA case.

DSCF1270.JPG

DSCF1331.JPG

DSCF1332.JPG

DSCF1333.JPG

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

First laptop is an acer aspire 4720z:
Pentium T2330 Intel Graphics media accelerator x3100,80gb dd,512 mb ddr2
ofc its dead

First pc:
AMD A8 7600 R7
Asrock a88m G/3.1
2x4 gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3
120 gigs ssd,240gb hdd,and a 1tb hdd
still my main rig till now

not too old,but definetly not new

Processor : Intel Celeron G470
GPU : None
Motherboard : Asus H61-MK
Cooling : Stock INTEL COOLER

Storage: Hitachi 500 GB HDD
RAM: 2GB 1333 Mhz

PSU: Chirag 350W pSU
Peripherals: Frontech Wired keyboard, mouse and speaker
Monitor: Samsung LCD 60 Hertz
Case: Random Zebronics case

cant remember the specs , but ran windows 95 , and i had a turbo button ..played lots of Maddog Mcree on it though 

The first pc my family bought when I was in highschool, learning programming 

It was a custom system with the components I chose based on reviews of hardware in local IT magazines.

So I ended up with a

K6-2 3D Now 333 Mhz  (used to OC by moving jumpers on mobo to change from 5 x 66.6 Mhz =333 mhz to 3.5x95 = 333 Mhz and later ran it at nearly 400 mhz)

PC Chips Elpina M577 motherboard (one of the better PC Chips models, with via mvp3 or whatever the chipset was called, and full l2 cache memory and sd-ram/edo-ram, agp 8x, at and atx power inputs, c-media onboard sound etc) ,

32 MB SD-RAM (upgraded later to 96 MB)

3 or 4 GB Maxtor mechanical drive (forget the exact size now, it's long gone anyway)

Samsung 24x CD-RW drive (put me off Samsung optical drives, wasn't very good)

One of the first upgrades was the video card, and I can safely say it was because of Half-Life

I changed the card to a S3 Savage 3D which lasted around a week and then bios got corrupted and could no longer do 3D games 

Got upgraded for free by the store owner to a S3 Savage 4 and that also shit itself after a few days. 

The store owner then simply gave up and gave me a nVidia VANTA 8 MB card which would have been around 20-30$ extra in today's money, compared to the other S3 cards.

It rocked at Half-Life, had no problem playing the game at 1024x768 on a 14" Aoc CRT monitor.

I can still vividly remember everything about it. It was my first after all if I exclude Commodore C-128 that I had until this PC back in 1998 (I kid you not). 🙂

Celeron 333MHz, 64MB RAM, S3 Savage3D 8MB, 4GB HDD and Sound Blaster 128.

I still have fond memories of it especially in Unreal Engine games where S3 Metal API used by S3 accelerated things dramatically. I got really good framerates in UT99 at 1024x768 which was considered pretty high resolution back then and generally only used by Voodoo/RivaTNT users who had much more VRAM. And same applied to nearly every single Unreal based game and there were plenty of them back then. Miss you my little S3 buddy 😞

23 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

People like to make these 'first pc specs' threads so much that I even have my own copypasta for them.

It was the long forgotten year of 2009, I was living in a poor family in a low-income ghetto neighborhood where kids were starting to steal from the supermarket since the age of 3. And here I was, a 9 year old boy who was the last one in the class to not have a computer. I heard all these stories about this magical experience of a "computer games" like GTA San Andreas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Need For Speed Underground, etc. I really wanted to have one, just not to feel myself so lost.

And that autumn I got one. My mother, who had a job of an office worker in a major gas company, (not the "gas" of gasoline, the real gas, like propane) has earned some extra money for a good job and decided to buy me one. Her wage was really small, especially by 2021 standards, but for the 2009 that was enough to live and save some extras. But we barely had enough to buy a cheapest build in our small local store, and I had to really beg my mother to buy one - she was a computer-literate person, and she knew what kind of a crap build she was buying to me. That day changed my life dramatically, affecting my interests in life and my choice of a first college degree. But this was, indeed, a shitty rig even for 2009:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L with Intel G31 Chipset and Socket 775

CPU: Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz

GPU: Intel G31 Integrated Graphics Card 400 MHz 64MB (Yes, kids, there was a time when Intel put their GPUs not in the CPUs, but in chipsets)

RAM: 2x512mb of glorious DDR2 memory

HDD: 80GB Samsung SATA drive (Later I learned that at least having a SATA in 2009 was considered cool)

Cheapest case, cheapest keyboard, cheapest mouse.

DVD-RW Drive.

I never minded it's being not cool enough - I had a computer, and that meant I had games. And now, I am thankful to the God for that one - it's low-end hardware plus no internet connection made me learn computer tech from relatively young age (to check whether it can play game I want to buy or not), and, most importantly, opened the worlds of the old games and indie games to me - I spent countless hours playing Fallout 1&2, Disciples 2, Crusader Kings 1, Temple of Elemental Evil, Penumbra, Pathologic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Diablo, Dawn of War, Rome: Total War... I even stopped caring about how "cool" modern games were, seeing GTA IV and CS: Source as pretty boring ones - heck, I once bought GTA IV just to give it to my school classmate in exchange of him downloading and burning me some DVDs with Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (which is, arguably, a better game) so I could play one.

I still cannot believe that all of that was almost 12 years ago... I still have a weird habit since that time - I always buy a disk drive to my new gaming rigs - that experience where the only source of game knowledge and overall connection to the world's information were dependent on that thing is still haunting me, I cannot force myself imagining a PC without a DVD drive, even though its use is arguable nowadays.

In summary, having a low-end hardware in your first rig is somehow is not bad at all - it's challenging and it makes your gaming experience pretty different both in a good and in a bad way.

The fact that you have a copypasta for this is brilliant 🤣

Used my dad's PCs a lot back in the day but my first own PC was an Acer Aspire Laptop with an Intel core 2 duo, 4GB Ram and some Radeon GPU which died in 2013.

My first desktop was a pre-built from 2010 with an Intel i5-2500, 8GB DDR3 -1333Mhz, Radeon HD6870, 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD. The GPU in this one deleted itself in 2015. That made me built my first PC which is now my secondary PC.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

First one I bought was Duron 800Mhz, 64MB RAM, GeForce2 MX400. Can't recall the storage space.

I edit my posts more often than not

I mean the first family computer we had was some dell optiplex with an old intel pentium processor and like 2 gigs of ram... Could run minecraft at a stable 1 frame per second, although it often felt much slower cause I think 1 fps is the lowest the in game counter went lol. My first pc build though was far better, built it sometime in like 2015 which had an intel i3-4370 and an AMD HD 7950 boost (bought used), it was all enough at the time to chew through just about every game I had in my library, it was interesting kind of seeing how it aged though, the problem later kinda being the CPU bottleneck as opposed to the GPU. Now today I'm rocking my newer build with a Ryzen 5 3600x and an Rx 580 8GB card with 16 GB of ram which handles everything perfectly for my 1440p onitor

Technical Specifications
CPU Intel 8048 8-bit clocked at 1.79 MHz.
Memory CPU-internal RAM: 64 bytes

Audio/video RAM: 128 bytes
BIOS ROM: 1024 bytes

GPU Intel 8244 (NTSC) or 8245 (PAL) custom IC (it also handles the audio)
Display 160×200 resolution (NTSC)

16-color fixed palette; sprites may only use 8 of these colors
4 8×8 single-color user-defined sprites; each sprite's color may be set independently
12 8×8 single-color characters; must be one of the 64 shapes built into the ROM BIOS; can be freely positioned like sprites, but cannot overlap each other; each character's color may be set independently
4 quad characters; groups of four characters displayed in a row
9×8 background grid; dots, lines, or solid blocks

Audio Noise generator, mono 24-bit shift register, clockable at 2 frequencies
Media ROM cartridges of 2,4 or 8 KB
Output ports RF Audio/Video connector
Power AC 110V, 50\60Hz / DC 12V, 600mA

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

My first console was a Binatone 'pong' clone.  It was Black and Orange.

First 8-bit Micro was a Commador 16

First PC compatible was the family's Vanilla PC which had an 80386@33MHz, 4MB of RAM and a 20MB HDD Running DOS 6 and Windows 3.1.  I did put the time in one night to install a copy of Windows95 from about 15 3.5" floppies.  But it was very unstable for some reason so reverted back to DOS.  It became mine when my family upgraded to a cyrix 6x86 clocked at 133MHz with 16MB RAM and i can't remember the HDD size.  Wish i still had the 386 to be honest.  It had a Sound Blaster 2.0 in it and i was the only one on my street to have a Sound Card at the time

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

i only started pc gaming back in like 2016-2017. my first pc was a cyberpower prebuilt my dad had given me

- core i5 6402p

- rx 480 4gb

- 8gb 2133 mhz ram

- h110 m pro/vd mobo

- 1tb toshiba hdd

that pc was supposed to be a vr pc but as you may tell it struggled a bit in quite a few games